Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data!

Comments

• BHSBHS Member

@LionBear said:
    I just noticed that inside the "Announcement" page in NB you can find a quite recent one: "Nexus Bytes - Location migration notification - Germany".

It says only people who are in the German server receives it, even though I'm in NYC, and it says "We have scheduled your server to be migrated on January 15th, 2022".

Have you got this too? Is this a clue for something or has nothing to do with the disappearance?

I also just read the announcement and just asked to upgrade/downgrade from the UK to the Netherlands with order number 5202542366 although as @Jord said it looks like everything will come down one by one. But that's all that can be done because refunds are not possible and on Friday the UK server will be shut down by zare.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • bdlbdl Member

@Ympker said:

@debaser said:

@bdl said:

@trewq said:

@bdl said:
    I've got a domain hosted with smallweb, what usually happens if providers deadpool, does the upstream domain registrar step in then?

The upstream registrar doesn't normally know who the end user is. I'd be at least seeing if you can get the transfer code out of the portal.

Thanks! oof - no EPP on portal, blesta shows "Nexus bytes" as registrant/admin/tech/billing contacts and whois shows namesilo as registrar with contacts obfuscated due to whois protection. :lol:

You should never ever let a provider register your domain name on their name. That just means that (for both the registrar and the registry) it's not your domain name. And in this case... you probably lost it. Because I reckon that the email addresses associated with it are also Nexusbytes' and not yours.

This situation sounds like a total disaster, with people unable to transfer their domains registered at NB. When it comes to registering a domain, I would always recommend keeping domains and hosting separate - even if the domain comes at a super cheap rate or is part of the hosting package. The only hosting provider I trusted with registering my domain so far was All-Inkl. All-Inkl is an exception, as they are consistently reliable and trustworthy in this regard; I have recommended them to @Amitz many years ago and still hear positive feedback regularly.

Agreed completely. Thankfully I only had that one domain with smallweb for promo pricing and not using it in production (everything else is with Porkbun direct for exactly the reasons yourself and @debaser outlined), however thought I'd give a heads up to anyone else who may have any domains hosted with smallweb/nexusbytes.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2023

The business should have been sold. A good manager knows when he reaches his limits, so he stops taking new orders and tries to sell. This did not happen with NexusBytes.

In my opinion this deadpool is a just another popcorn drama which deserves to be treated as such, like many others before it.

If you still have access to service: TAKE BACKUPS!

• @BHS said:

@LionBear said:
    I just noticed that inside the "Announcement" page in NB you can find a quite recent one: "Nexus Bytes - Location migration notification - Germany".

It says only people who are in the German server receives it, even though I'm in NYC, and it says "We have scheduled your server to be migrated on January 15th, 2022".

Have you got this too? Is this a clue for something or has nothing to do with the disappearance?

I also just read the announcement and just asked to upgrade/downgrade from the UK to the Netherlands with order number 5202542366 although as @Jord said it looks like everything will come down one by one. But that's all that can be done because refunds are not possible and on Friday the UK server will be shut down by zare.

To be honest, I don't really mind about getting a refund, the prices were cheap anyway and I can absorb that.

What's most important for me is the access to my files and database. I don't have any recent backup and this is all I need. I'm crossing my fingers to have this resolved and get access to my files and have the opportunity to take backups.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@bdl said:

@DP said:

@bdl said:

@trewq said:

@bdl said:
    I've got a domain hosted with smallweb, what usually happens if providers deadpool, does the upstream domain registrar step in then?

The upstream registrar doesn't normally know who the end user is. I'd be at least seeing if you can get the transfer code out of the portal.

Thanks! oof - no EPP on portal, blesta shows "Nexus bytes" as registrant/admin/tech/billing contacts and whois shows namesilo as registrar with contacts obfuscated due to whois protection. :lol:

Worse comes to worst, if NB doesn't respond and you need the name transferred out, try reaching out to NameSilo.

https://www.namesilo.com/support/v2/articles/policies/reseller-complaints

Thankyou for this, have opened a ticket with smallweb and if no response in a few days will definitely escalate to Namesilo

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Namesilo, I only have access to the .co.uk one SmallWeb used, I can't even get the EPP code from within Blesta as Namesilo emails it, which is rather annoying. Sorry about that.

Thanked by 2bdl Ympker
  • bdlbdl Member

@Jord said:

@bdl said:

@DP said:

@bdl said:

@trewq said:

@bdl said:

Worse comes to worst, if NB doesn't respond and you need the name transferred out, try reaching out to NameSilo.

https://www.namesilo.com/support/v2/articles/policies/reseller-complaints

Thankyou for this, have opened a ticket with smallweb and if no response in a few days will definitely escalate to Namesilo

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Namesilo, I only have access to the .co.uk one SmallWeb used, I can't even get the EPP code from within Blesta as Namesilo emails it, which is rather annoying. Sorry about that.

Please don't apologise @Jord - I know how these things go down and if I end up losing the domain, no biggie. You always provided great support with my dealings with smallweb, and I know the current situation is just how the cookie crumbles, sometimes.

On a personal note, maybe don't check this thread too often for your sanity - once a day perhaps? :smiley:

I'll contact Namesilo directly in the next day or so and see what they say :)

Thanked by 1greentea
  • _MS__MS_ Member
    edited January 2023
  • bdlbdl Member

MS said:
    ">

colours check out

• nexus byes

Thanked by 1NANO
  • verovero Member, Host Rep

That "E".. He definitely visited my site at some point from 2018 - vero.cloud.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@default said:
    The business should have been sold. A good manager knows when he reaches his limits, so he stops taking new orders and tries to sell. This did not happen with NexusBytes.

❎ you can't sell your family

In my opinion this deadpool is a just another popcorn drama which deserves to be treated as such, like many others before it.

✅ you eat popcorn with your family

Thanked by 1vero
  • @bdl said:

MS said:
    ">

colours check out

Colours of 2022.

• treesmokahtreesmokah Member
    edited January 2023

MS said:

@bdl said:

MS said:
    ">

colours check out

Colours of 2022.

the current thing...
    i wonder why providers were not putting a mask on their logo when there was covid, it was also scary and shit.

Thanked by 2_MS_ crunchbits
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2023

@Jord
    Is the whole thing unraveling, all locations, or is there reason for hope that some locations will survive? NL for instance seems to be OK (as of yesterday evening local time).

Also, given the circumstances it might be helpful if you published (here on LET) a list/table of locations and their current status, and update that when there are changes.

Btw, while I can't help much like e.g. @Zare and @SGraf do (again: kudos!) I'll offer what little I can do: please don't worry about any refunds or some such to me. You (and Jay, while in control of himself) have always been good to me and you have enough worries already; I certainly don't want to bother you with what little I might be owed. Just focus on what can possibly be saved/kept alive and please, do not forget to keep your own rear (a__) safe too!

Also, if it should get really ugly I suggest you create a "save the panda!" account. I for one, but certainly many others here too, would be willing to help out with some €$.

@treesmokah said:
    the current thing...
    i wonder why providers were not putting a mask on their logo when there was covid, it was also scary and shit.

There's even more to that - while travelling, I put a mask with my country flag (Lithuania) and it's fun to observe how people suddenly become your friends or the contrary - keep some distance. I even met one very nice guy from Ghana, who tought I'm his homie :)

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • shubshub Member
    edited January 2023

@kuroit said:

@add_iT said:
    Maybe it is time chance for some other provider giving refuge offer

;)

Maybe @kuroit since they using zare too

or @SmartHost

As fellow provider, sad to see how things are going with NB.

RE help or refuge offer: yes, same network, same DC, we're just a message away!

My London EntryBytes VPS also went down but thanks a lot to @kuroit for providing me with a new VPS at the same price and specs + extra storage, bandwidth and network speed on top! :smiley:

Thanked by 1kuroit
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2023

I am a bit late but I do have at least 10 TB of storage space available if anyone needs temporary space for a month (maybe even 2). No strings attached. Just PM me. Location is Germany at Hetzner with 1 gbit link.

Edit: SFTP

• LionBearLionBear Member
    edited January 2023

Does anyome know MrRadic or someone from Reliablesite and ask to reach out to those who are on the NYC server?

Unfortunately, I don't have backups and just a few hours access to my files would be the world for me and others who are on the NYC server.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@MrRadic Maybe can help or not. I understand if they choose not to also.

Thanked by 1LionBear
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

I have seen this nightmare before with many providers over the years. It is sad. :neutral:

Thanked by 1LionBear
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Yes, it is a really sad day! But mostly the community has stepped up! I will remember these providers that helped out and give them a little of my business in the near future.

• @Arkas said:
    I have seen this nightmare before with many providers over the years. It is sad. :neutral:

I promise when in 10 years I have my own hosting provider I won't fail LET <3

@Arkas said:

No one is injured, no one is dead (hopefully), what's so sad? You've consciously chosen to be the mod in a place of high risk of such events. So..

I suspect no serious businesses have ever used NB, and those users who did, again - have made a conscious choice back then. Not keeping backups is one more conscious choice.

Picking unlucky users is not a choice, but rather a necessity for providers, and I'm surprised, why so few offered their services so far. Yet offering one year free is something not many would've done, I must admit. The same as lending own storage.

Helping those in need is an essential human quality, just let's not overrate the situation. LET is one of the best places for drama, but overreacting makes it less involving.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@vero said: No one is injured, no one is dead (hopefully), what's so sad?

That history keeps repeating itself. I suspect you are very wrong about ' suspect no serious businesses have ever used NB', NB used to be a very solid choice.
    Also, what does me being a mod have anything to do with expressing my opinion of a revolving door situation and saying I think it's sad. In any case, perhaps it is just miscommunication. In the end, the community which is the backbone of LET is stepping up, so thank you!

@Arkas said:

That history keeps repeating itself. I suspect you are very wrong about ' suspect no serious businesses have ever used NB', NB used to be a very solid choice.

Any SP500 companies in their clientele you think? Whatever; largest top 50000, 100000?

None of solid providers I've known like 10 years ago have disappeared until today. Yeah, some acquisitions happened, but that's it.

Also, what does me being a mod have anything to do with expressing my opinion of a revolving door situation and saying I think it's sad.

It's not exclusively about you, but about LET users in general. I'm fine with drama, not so much with overreacting or faking.

• @PieHasBeenEaten said:
    @MrRadic Maybe can help or not. I understand if they choose not to also.

Thanks for that, I'm trying to reach out to him and hopefuly he could help.

Or at least, ask him to not delete the files and wait for a possible payment from NB

@vero said:

@Arkas said:

Any SP500 companies in their clientele you think? Whatever; largest top 50000, 100000?

FYI: serious != big

Think about your country and you'll understand.

@jsg said:

@vero said:

@Arkas said:

Word "serious" wasn't mentioned, we were talking about "solid".

BTW, you wouldn't have guessed, which country was the largest in Europe in 16th century, would you? And considering current events, history may repeat itself, just think about it.

@vero said:

@jsg said:

@vero said:

@Arkas said:

Word "serious" wasn't mentioned, we were talking about "solid".

So? FYI: solid != big

BTW, you wouldn't have guessed, which country was the largest in Europe in 16th century, would you? And considering current events, history may repeat itself, just think about it.

So? Even in the 16th century, solid != big

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

Purple daddy ready to be the Family new daddy sir? @dustinc

Thanked by 1kuroit