Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data! - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data!

Comments

• TrKTrK Member

@aqua said:
    I typically try to stay away from doing this.

Soon™

If you want to stay away from this just ship it to me 😂

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I just want to put this out here.

I don't know Jay in person but he's one of the few who I'm often in contact with ever since I joined this forum, and so, knowing him, he wouldn't scam his customers or deliberately put his customers in this situation.

Why things are happening the way it is now is something we all don't know about yet.

I mean, God forbid, he was on the road to recovery but could've fallen ill again or going through other health-related issues, like some of us might know based on the past, that's preventing him from attending to his business-related duties.

But as usual, communication is key, and that's something NB/Jay hasn't been doing, the way it should be done, for a very, very long time.

As a friend, it isn't over till it's over.

As a NB customer, business is business, so you do what you need to do to secure your business, services and/or data.

I'm a NB customer myself (since 2019), but I have 2/2 services, in different locations, still up and running fine.

All in all, personally, I wouldn't call this a scam, but do what you need to do to secure your stuff ✌️

P.S. I really hope NB doesn't deadpool as they've got some assets with them, both HW and IPs, and that would be a huge waste.

Thanked by 2maverick jsg
  • @DP said:

I don't know Jay in person but he's one of the few who I'm often in contact with ever since I joined this forum, and so, knowing him, he wouldn't scam his customers or deliberately put his customers in this situation.

Why things are happening the way it is now is something we all don't know about yet.

I mean, God forbid, he was on the road to recovery but could've fallen ill again or going through other health-related issues, like some of us might know based on the past, that's preventing him from attending to his business-related duties.

But as usual, communication is key, and that's something NB/Jay hasn't been doing, the way it should be done, for a very, very long time.

As a NB customer, business is business, so you do what you need to do to secure your business, services and/or data.

I'm a NB customer myself (since 2019), but I have 2/2 services, in different locations, still up and running fine.

All in all, personally, I wouldn't call this a scam, but do what you need to do to secure your stuff ✌️

P.S. I really hope NB doesn't deadpool as they've got some assets with them, both HW and IPs, and that would be a huge waste.

Scam or not, I don't know. But this is definitely deadpooling and that is all that matters.

• @DP said:

What surprised me is how no one from NB side can do something. Don't you let someone handle stuff when you're unavailable?

I don't really understand that and what makes me more worried is for how long they are going to keep the data inaccessible and when @MrRadic will decide to delete all data from servers, since he was unpaid probably.

Thanked by 2msallak1 adly
  • @LionBear said:

@DP said:

What surprised me is how no one from NB side can do something. Don't you let someone handle stuff when you're unavailable?

I don't really understand that and what makes me more worried is for how long they are going to keep the data inaccessible and when @MrRadic will decide to delete all data from servers, since he was unpaid probably.

People will just have to assume that reliablesite auto deletes data after non payment since they run automated deployment of dedicated server.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@DP said:

As the forum admin, you should revoke @seriesn Host Rep tag, until they come back and explain things.

I really hope NB doesn't deadpool as they've got some assets with them, both HW and IPs, and that would be a huge waste.

IPs will be reclaimed and benefit those on the wait-list.
    There's no waste.

Thanked by 2maverick default

@yoursunny said: As the forum admin, you should revoke @seriesn Host Rep tag, until they come back and explain things.

Done.

• @Thundas said:

@LionBear said:

@DP said:

People will just have to assume that reliablesite auto deletes data after non payment since they run automated deployment of dedicated server.

Unfortunately, @MrRadic claimed he won't help due to legal actions, so I believe you are right

• @LionBear said:

@Thundas said:

@LionBear said:

@DP said:

Unfortunately, @MrRadic claimed he won't help due to legal actions, so I believe you are right

they suing NByed?

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@cybertech said:
    they suing NByed?

We're not suing anyone.

We won't get involved due to potential legal liability here. This isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. Unfortunately from a legal standpoint, this is a slippery slope if we get in the middle of it. There may be more happening with NB than we know about (or there might be nothing at all). We're avoiding legal risk on our end.

I won't get into any further discussion here, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2023

@MrRadic said:

@cybertech said:
    they suing NByed?

We're not suing anyone.

We won't get involved due to potential legal liability here. This isn't the first time this has happened and won't be the last. Unfortunately from a legal standpoint, this is a slippery slope if we get in the middle of it. There may be more happening with NB than we know about (or there might be nothing at all). We're avoiding legal risk on our end.

I won't get into any further discussion here, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Yet @Zare chose to help users save their data.

I have hard time understanding the legal implications if you just unsuspend the network or reboot the machines briefly like Zare did. If NB did not want people to access their data, he could just block it from the system itself. The fact remains that its offline due to non-payment and you don't give a shit about the end users since they are not your customers directly lol.

Try not being greedy just once, could you?

Thanked by 3LionBear NANO adly
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

No need to start jumping down other providers for not wanting to do something they feel uncomfortable doing. Every provider assumes the risk, and some are not worth it for legal repercussions. I really want to see people get their data and even tried to make an offer to bring the account current. We don't need to turn this sad situation into a pissing ground. It is what it is!

• @stefeman said:

@MrRadic said:

@cybertech said:
    they suing NByed?

We're not suing anyone.

I have hard time understanding the legal implications if you just unsuspend the network or reboot the machines briefly like Zare did. If NB did not want people to access their data, he could just block it from the system itself. The fact remains that its offline due to non-payment and you don't give a shit about the end users since they are not your customers directly lol.

Exactly what I was thinking. People here just want their files and run the hell away from NexusBytes. It's our fault to not have a recent backup, but who would have thought NexusBytes will scam their users?

If @Zare did it, I don't see why @MrRadic can't do this. I even offered a small payment as a gesture, this is a joke the data has probably been deleted the minute the servers were unpaid.

• Yes, blame MrRadic, lol. You guys drunk.

@LionBear said:
    It's our fault to not have a recent backup

🤞

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Come on guys ...

• business is business and we all know the common rules: no payment ~ no service. @MrRadic does not even need to provide a reason, but he did. Fair enough.
    • the fact that one provider (@Zare, kudos to them) was friendly and generous and gave us some free extra time to get at our data does not mean that that's the new rule to be followed by everyone.

While I'm grateful to Zare I see no basis for demanding free extra service from MrRadic, let alone attacking him. If you absolutely want to have a guilty party then it's the one who took our money but didn't pay (at least some of) his bills.

edited January 2023

@LionBear said:

@stefeman said:

@MrRadic said:

@cybertech said:
    they suing NByed?

We're not suing anyone.

Exactly what I was thinking. People here just want their files and run the hell away from NexusBytes. It's our fault to not have a recent backup, but who would have thought NexusBytes will scam their users?

If @Zare did it, I don't see why @MrRadic can't do this. I even offered a small payment as a gesture, this is a joke the data has probably been deleted the minute the servers were unpaid.

According to hearsay one of their team members said elsewhere that they already repurposed those servers days ago due to non-payment, so there's nothing to restore even if he agreed to do so. The above explanation is likely BS if there's no data left. I don't understand why he won't say it directly, so I decided to check by asking.

Apparently its true then.

@JabJab said:
    Yes, blame MrRadic, lol. You guys drunk.

If he has the servers, it takes him 5 mins to unsuspend or reboot them and costs him about 10€ in electricity and bandwidth to keep them up for few hours so people can take their most important data out. He also gets good reputation by doing so.

But instead he chose against that.

It would not matter if @Zare did not unsuspend the services, but after their nice gesture, MrRadic suddenly looks rather uncaring.

Salute to @Zare They really do care about people even if they are not direct customers of theirs. And why shouldn't they? The entire thing is caused by non-payment and then by their own suspension. Essentially its offline due to their decision after non-payment. Same applies with MrRadic, who decided to revenge NB for non-payment by suspending everything before people could back up or by nuking all the data instead.

2 Providers, 2 very different approaches.

Thanked by 3LionBear nullroute NANO

@stefeman said:
    According to hearsay one of their team members said elsewhere that they already repurposed those servers days ago due to non-payment, so there's nothing to restore even if he agreed to do so.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183485/amd-ryzen-3900x-128gb-ram-2-x-2tb-nvme-1g-unmetered-119-m

✅ Ryzen 3900X
    ✅ New York, Miami, Los Angeles

It's a match!

Thanked by 1adly
    edited January 2023

@yoursunny said:

@stefeman said:
    According to hearsay one of their team members said elsewhere that they already repurposed those servers days ago due to non-payment, so there's nothing to restore even if he agreed to do so.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183485/amd-ryzen-3900x-128gb-ram-2-x-2tb-nvme-1g-unmetered-119-m

✅ Ryzen 3900X
    ✅ New York, Miami, Los Angeles

It's a match!

Yeah, date matches too. The data is gone, we can understand that. But why does he reply like that then as if the data was still there but they're unable to help, just say directly and don't quote legal bullshit that prevents you from unsuspending the user for 4 hours. You're not logging into their services, you're just giving him free extension from legal standpoint, and the customers can use their own access rights to do the rest as their services come up.

Thanked by 1LionBear
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2023

Usually for something vitally important, like hardware which keeps the business alive, one has automated payments in place. We live in an era with automatic payments through PayPal, bank cards, direct debit, automated bank transfers, and so on. If the owner has health issues, or goes on vacation, the staff can keep the business going, while the payments should be handled automatically without any disturbance at datacentre level.

This is what troubles me the most about all these fans of NexusBytes which keep bragging what a nice guy the owner is.

• It's not about nb suing rs but the customers, what if nb is sued by a customer for loss of income & data and rs lets it up for few hours and customer who was suing nb missed it, even though rs did it out of goodwill, they can still be implicated and will waste legal fees trying to mount a defence, not worth it at all, it's why most upstream will not do this, zare probably has fat cash sticking around to do it.

• CalypsoCalypso Member
    edited January 2023

@LionBear said:
    It's our fault to not have a recent backup, but who would have thought NexusBytes will scam their users?

Yes it's your fault not to have backups. Never ever trust a company or even your friends, so backup yourself. Even Microsoft or Google or Amazon could get into some kind of state where you can't reach your data. And even if you are in your right to request a backup from them or something similar: if they are not capable of providing it, you still won't have your data back. So always be in control yourself.

If @Zare did it, I don't see why @MrRadic can't do this.

There are lots of reasons why he can't or he won't. That's not of any importance; you have a contract with NB, not with @Zare or @MrRadic. What @Zare did was honourable, but he doesn't have to. And neither does @MrRadic. Again: always keep in mind that a provider can fail. Prepare for that. Then your loss will be very limited and you can move on.

I even offered a small payment as a gesture, this is a joke the data has probably been deleted the minute the servers were unpaid.

That's another assumption. The joke is on you, because you didn't prepare for something that could happen. And you were even warned, quite some time ago, that things weren't going too good with NB. You've had plenty of time to prepare for a thing such as this that could happen. Why didn't you do that?

First look in the mirror before accusing everybody and everything.

@stefeman said: 2 Providers, 2 very different approaches

Just like users too.

You have those who have up-to-date backups, did what they needed to do, migrated and are probably at ease now, not worrying too much about their services or data at NB.

And you also have those who either don't have backups or have outdated backups, looking to get what they need, off a dead server.

Point is, everyone has their ways of doing things, and as usual, you just can't please everyone.

Thanked by 1dystopia

Just to add.

If upstreams starts to get involved whenever their customers' servers gets shut down due to non payment, and they start bringing up those servers, something unfortunate and unforeseen happens while the server is being powered on, disk failure, data loss/corruption etc., then people will start blaming the upstream.

What Zare did was totally out of their own goodwill and you can't expect or force other providers to do the same.

In no way does that imply other upstreams/providers are "irresponsible" or "no good" but it's just something that is best left in the hands of the company you're a direct customer of.

• @DP said:

@stefeman said: 2 Providers, 2 very different approaches

Just like users too.

You have those who have up-to-date backups, did what they needed to do, migrated and are probably at ease now, not worrying too much about their services or data at NB.

And you also have those who either don't have backups or have outdated backups, looking to get what they need, off a dead server.

Point is, everyone has their ways of doing things, and as usual, you just can't please everyone.

Well, its good I never used nexusbytes, I’d be fucked now if I did. I simply stated my view on the problem.

• As an end user of NB that does not frequent this forum I have to say this is unacceptable. I would have appreciated a heads up from them on Monday when all this went down. I only found out 2 hours ago from one of my customers when the server went down :( I'm hoping the data is still there and the server can be brought back up for an easy migration

Thanked by 1LionBear
  • lonealonea Member, Host Rep

All these talks about "scamming" is hilarious.

This company in question is not a new business, it's been running for awhile. Whatever scam you guys think the dude in charge is pulling would've been executed within the first to second years or so.

The business just ran it's course and all the funds were used.

Time to move on. Won't be last lowend provider on here to suffer this fate.

• According to hearsay one of their team members said elsewhere that they already repurposed those servers days ago due to non-payment, so there's nothing to restore even if he agreed to do so. The above explanation is likely BS if there's no data left. I don't understand why he won't say it directly, so I decided to check by asking.

If that's the case, well then. We will learn our lesson the hard way and move on. Why not saying that in the first place: "we are not giving you the chance of getting back your files because they have been wiped out from our servers and they don't exist anymore"? @MrRadic is not to blame for his business decisions, of course, but lack of transparency is one of the main reasons that we are here, on the first place.

Just tell people the truth, all the time. We can handle it.

Thanked by 1LionBear
  • harrymyloharrymylo Member
    edited January 2023

@solucionespro said:

According to hearsay one of their team members said elsewhere that they already repurposed those servers days ago due to non-payment, so there's nothing to restore even if he agreed to do so. The above explanation is likely BS if there's no data left. I don't understand why he won't say it directly, so I decided to check by asking.

If that's the case, well then. We will learn our lesson the hard way and move on. Why not saying that in the first place: "we are not giving you the chance of getting back your files because they have been wiped out from our servers and they don't exist anymore"? @MrRadic is not to blame for his business decisions, of course, but lack of transparency is one of the main reasons that we are here, on the first place.

Just tell people the truth, all the time. We can handle it.

Exactly. I have no issue with the money lost on the services I paid for, I can see it as a sunk cost. What I wanted was a heads up at the start of the week that I need to migrate my VPS.

I'm just hoping that @Zare can bring the server my VPS was on back up for a few hours so I can get my data out, if the server hasn't been reprovisioned :(

Thanked by 1LionBear
  • What is business continuity and why is it important?