Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data! - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data!

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

ger1 free DirectAdmin server is still alive.
    I just replaced my expired domain with a working domain.
    https://treefiddy.yoursunny.dev/

• I'm not a NB customer (and never have been), so I'm not directly affected by this fiasco, but one thing that I find disappointing is that @Jord wasn't given more power/authority/trust by @seriesn than he apparently was given

I mean, it sounds like @Jord was/is effectively running the day-to-day business and yet he didn't/couldn't foresee the upcoming unpaid bills. If @seriesn was/is so out of commission, why the heck wasn't @Jord given more power/authority/trust so that he could have a better overview of the financial situation?! In this way, @Jord would have been in a much better position to anticipate the impending fiasco

Naturally, I don't know the background story, but with the unpaid bills, it was/is like a train heading non-stop towards the edge of a cliff

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Thundas said: It's not about nb suing rs but the customers

RS deal was with NB directly, not with NB's clients.

If Jay went and maliciously cancelled the nodes, knowing customer data was on them, you still couldn't go after Radic for it.

RS/Radic have no business dealings in this past being an upstream vendor to NB.

Leave him out of this.

Francisco

• So if my customer does not pay their invoice and I choose to leave their server up and running or I choose to not take down their server for non-payment or power on the server that I took down for non-payment, I am legally liable... for what?

Thanked by 2yoursunny LionBear
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@mansoor said:
    So if my customer does not pay their invoice and I choose to leave their server up and running or I choose to not take down their server for non-payment or power on the server that I took down for non-payment, I am legally liable... for what?

Your customer is a masochist.
    Your customer has a contract with you that requires you to take down their servers when they don't pay.
    If you don't take down the servers in a timely fashion, your customer cannot watch their users suffer from data loss, and cannot teach their users a lesson about backups.
    You are liable for depriving them from this fetish enjoyment.

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • @yoursunny said:

@mansoor said:
    So if my customer does not pay their invoice and I choose to leave their server up and running or I choose to not take down their server for non-payment or power on the server that I took down for non-payment, I am legally liable... for what?

Your customer is a masochist.
    Your customer has a contract with you that requires you to take down their servers when they don't pay.
    If you don't take down the servers in a timely fashion, your customer cannot watch their users suffer from data loss, and cannot teach their users a lesson about backups.
    You are liable for depriving them from this fetish enjoyment.

LOL @yoursunny, maybe that is what @MrRadic is doing.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2023

"I'm sorry guys, I fucked up. Life hit me and I need to prioritise my own health now. Servers are up for 14 days for you to take backups before services will be shut down. Refunds have been issued respective to remaining time of service. Thanks for the ride.
    Yours truly,
    Bob."

Wouldn't have that been nice? Jay was a nice guy while hanging around here in the past, but unless (and I really hope that's not the case) he has been on life support for 1 year 24/7 day, he could've just exited in a way more fitting "#familyfirst" mantra that was portrayed during sales.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@Ympker said:
    "I'm sorry guys, I fucked up. Life hit me and I need to prioritise my own health now. Servers are up for 14 days for you to take backups before services will be shut down. Refunds have been issued respective to remaining time of service.
    Yours truly,
    Bob."

Wouldn't have that been nice?

You're assuming he has access to his devices to make such a statement.

It's new and unlike him to ignore contact in private from friends or those close to him.

Thanked by 3DP mezoology bdl
  • @Ympker said:
    "I'm sorry guys, I fucked up. Life hit me and I need to prioritise my own health now. Servers are up for 14 days for you to take backups before services will be shut down. Refunds have been issued respective to remaining time of service.
    Yours truly,
    Bob."

Wouldn't have that been nice? Jay was a nice guy while hanging around here in the past, but unless (and I really hope that's not the case) he has been on life support for 1 year 24/7 day, he could've just exited in a way more fitting "#familyfirst" mantra that was portrayed during sales.

Let’s hope hes fine. I’d take life support or coma over a noose any time.

It’s weird that he cannot be reached since usually community centric deadpool hosts come up with excuses.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Anyone who stayed with NB after Jord took over support on a clearly volunteer or contract role should have expected everything to disappear eventually.

Anyone who says "I know NB Jay he would never scam" is looking the other way and taking a personal opinion instead of looking what is right in front.

If you operate a company, and take money for a service, you cannot just disappear for months and not say a word to your customers directly, and outsource your support and think it'll just be ok.

The only excuses I can make up in my mind is that Jay was sent to prison, has been in a coma, or became stranded on an island and hasn't been rescued, or some other extreme situation where he has no access to the internet.

The whole situation is laughable with people defending it and expecting upstream providers to power on unpaid hardware or hold the data.

• I agree with most responses here and just to make it clear, nobody blamed Radic but you do expect from people to help at hard times, even when offered a payment in return.

What I don't like is when people lie - are you the upstream provider and you have deleted the data? Frustrating but acceptable, at least say it don't make excuses.

Someone like Jay is probably the worse. I don't know him, but there are no excuses for what he has done, no matter if someone lost 1 month of work or 5 years of work.

Thanked by 2maverick NANO
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2023

@MannDude said:

@Ympker said:
    Yours truly,
    Bob."

Wouldn't have that been nice?

You're assuming he has access to his devices to make such a statement.

It's new and unlike him to ignore contact in private from friends or those close to him.

Making assumptions is one of the only things left for us to do as we haven't been provided with any update or even a one-liner from Jay in a long while. Don't get me wrong, I wish him the best and while he was active on LET/LES he always behaved himself and was a decent guy but something along the lines @MikeA pointed out must have hit him, otherwise he would have at least replied once, here. That said, I probably would have cancelled my services with NB (if I had had any) after communications went dark. Everyone that's still left on the Titanic is very brave, or just had an idling service they forgot about.

Thanked by 3MannDude kuroit adly
  • emgemg Veteran

@rogerwilco said:
    What is business continuity and why is it important?

Is this a serious question? A simple web search will give you lots of information. Search for "business continuity" (duh) and also search for "disaster recovery", which is related.

Business continuity is planning for the unexpected so that your business can continue to do what it does for its customers even after a bad event happens.

• my service has been down for over 6 hours now. which is a pain because the last backup was AM before work. im still waiting for a reply

• @DevonWebs said:
    my service has been down for over 6 hours now. which is a pain because the last backup was AM before work. im still waiting for a reply

Same here :( Really hoping @Zare can help us out one last time

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

NL stuff still online?

• @DevonWebs said:
    my service has been down for over 6 hours now. which is a pain because the last backup was AM before work. im still waiting for a reply

Why didn't you migrate to another server after taking the latest backup yesterday morning? Why did you keep your server in production mode when you knew it will be turned off today afternoon?

Thanked by 1stefeman
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@MannDude said:
    NL stuff still online?

# uptime
     23:10:19 up 406 days,  3:19,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • BHSBHS Member

@MannDude said:
    NL stuff still online?

https://lgnl.nexusbytes.com/ UK is down, and Jord said is down one by one.

• @msallak1 said:

@DevonWebs said:

Why didn't you migrate to another server after taking the latest backup yesterday morning? Why did you keep your server in production mode when you knew it will be turned off today afternoon?

i didnt know it was going offline today. i had no warning. im not very active on here

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@MannDude said:
    NL stuff still online?

As of a couple of hours ago, Yes.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @speedypage said:
    I was hesitant to post this as it seems a bit out of touch to try and earn revenue from another provider seemingly encroaching on a deadpool, but at the same time SpeedyPage offers services that are very similar in nature to Nexus Bytes.

Taking business AWAY from a properly functioning business is generally bad form, but not in this case where service is going off the cliff and you're offering an offramp for reasonable price.

• There should be a new LET profile question: "Do you have current backups?"

It's mind blowing seeing some veterans not have backups for NB. The writing couldn't have been written on the wall any clearer for a while.

Thanked by 3bdl iKeyZ dedotatedwam
  • @yoursunny said:

@default said:
    The business should have been sold. A good manager knows when he reaches his limits, so he stops taking new orders and tries to sell. This did not happen with NexusBytes.

❎ you can't sell your family

You've never been to Cuba.

• @emg said:

@rogerwilco said:
    What is business continuity and why is it important?

Is this a serious question? A simple web search will give you lots of information. Search for "business continuity" (duh) and also search for "disaster recovery", which is related.

Business continuity is planning for the unexpected so that your business can continue to do what it does for its customers even after a bad event happens.

Please forgive my poor attempt at humor.

• In the end if Jay had any common sense or sense of responsibility, he would have had a backup plan. Granted access to someone, kept something in an escrow, etc. It's not just data, we have domains that are stuck which our businesses truly depend on. I am a software developer myself and I have my client code that they have not paid for, but as a responsible individual I have two backup scenarios just in case something happens to me so that my customers can get their data and source code, so their business does not shut down. In the end they pay me for a service and trust me with their data and business technology.

Sad to see that someone (@Jay) who people respect here would not have a backup plan.

NOTICE: All small providers, be responsible and have a "incase of hit by the bus scenario" plan so you don't screw over people who have been paying you to put food on your table and trusting you with their business data.

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • @yoursunny said:

@LionBear said:
    It's our fault to not have a recent backup

🤞

<3
    🫰

• What a downfall, from top host to imminent deadpool.

If I tell you in 2021, that NB will close shop in about a year, no one would believe it.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • silent jay and bob :'(

Thanked by 3bdl dahartigan _MS_