LowEndTalk Selling Rules (Updated November 2022)
Rules For Selling On LowEndTalk
Selling your products and services on LowEndTalk is easy.
Do not post offers or PM offers to anyone unless you have the Patron Provider or Host Rep tag.
The following rules are in place to protect the members of this community so please read them completely.
- Banner Advertising On LowEndBox & LowEndTalk
- Patron Provider Tag
- Template For Patron Provider Tag Request
- Host Rep Tag
- Template For Host Rep Tag Request
- General Offer Thread Rules
- VPS Rules
- Dedicated Server Rules
- Shared Hosting Rules
- IP/Subnet/ASN-related Rules
- IP Transit & Colocation
- License Sales Rules
- Domain Auctions
- Service Transfers
- Miscellaneous Rules
Banner Advertising On LowEndBox & LowEndTalk
LowEndBox and LowEndTalk are ad supported. Please consider supporting our community by purchasing ad space on our websites. Prices start at just $75/month for a shared spot via BuySellAds.
Patron Provider Tag
- Requesting for the Patron Provider tag must be done through the LowEndTalk Billing System.
- Only Patron Provider tag holders may create advertising threads in the "Offers" category on LowEndTalk (plus they have all of the benefits available to the Host Rep tag holders).
- When applying, please include your LowEndTalk username, the link to your public company registration in your country of registration, your company number, a link to your website and public WHOIS information.
- In order to gain the benefits of advertising your services via threads on LowEndTalk, and to support our platform, Patron Provider tag holders pay a fee of $100 per six months. Signup for your Patron Provider tag at our LowEndTalk Billing System.
- Additional details about the Patron Provider tag fee, along with a list of perks for Patron Provider tag holders, can be found within the announcement thread. Companies that support our platform through this fee will gain special recognition by receiving a "Patron Provider" tag on LowEndTalk.
Template For Patron Provider Tag Request
Open a ticket at our LowEndTalk Billing System using the following template:
Subject: Patron Provider Tag Request Body: LowEndTalk Username: https://lowendtalk.com/profile/your_username Company Name: Public Company Registration: Company Registration Number: Website: (WHMCS/Billing Panel link) Public WHOIS:⬆️
Host Rep Tag
- Requesting for the Host Rep tag must be done via our Help Desk.
- There is no fee for Host Rep tags.
- Host Rep tag holders cannot create threads in the "Offers" category.
- Host Rep tag holders may participate in general conversation, represent their company professionally, and respond to comments and threads that specifically reference their company.
- Host Rep tag holders may participate in the LowEndTalk sponsored “Mega Deal” thread(s), such as our Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc, event threads. Host Rep tag holders may post their offers inside these Mega Deal threads.
- Host Rep tag holders may reply, with service offers/deals, to user-created service request threads within the "Requests" category.
- Host Rep tag holders may advertise their company in their signature. Signature rules apply.
- Inclusion in the periodic Host Rep Roundup (HR3).
Template For Host Rep Tag Request
Open a ticket at our helpdesk using the following template:
Subject: Host Rep Tag Request Body: LowEndTalk Username: https://lowendtalk.com/profile/your_username Company Name: Public Company Registration: Company Registration Number: Website: (WHMCS/Billing Panel link) Public WHOIS:⬆️
General Offer Thread Rules
- You must have a Patron Provider tag to post offer threads.
- You are allowed post an offer every 10 days (posts in the "offers" category and the "shared hosting offers" category are on separate timers).
- For currency other than USD, it is your responsibility to ensure the equivalent USD price at the time of posting is within the rules.
- List the final recurring price after any discounts.
- Be informative in your offers. List basic specifications (memory, storage, bandwidth, port speed, virtualization technology) and pricing on a per-plan basis. Datacenter location and a test IP or Looking Glass would be ideal.
- List total price per billing period, not just equivalent monthly cost.
- Offer thread rules apply.
- Only post offers that are less than or equal to $10/month, or equivalent recurring.
- If you've been in business for less than a year, the maximum billing period allowed is quarterly ($30/quarter). For businesses older than one year the maximum term is three (3) years.
Dedicated Server Rules
- Offer thread rules apply.
- Only post offers that are less than or equal to $125/month recurring.
- No setup fees.
Shared Hosting Rules
- Offer thread rules apply.
- Shared Hosting offers must be posted in the "Shared Hosting Offers" category.
- Standard Shared Hosting account price limit of $7/month or equivalent recurring.
- Shared "Reseller" Hosting account price limit of $12/month or equivalent recurring.
- Only Providers and/or LIRs are allowed to post offers.
- IP/Subnet/ASN-related offers and services must be posted in the AIO IP-Related (IPv4/IPv6/ASN) thread.
- For Sellers: You must be the DIRECT owner of the IP space you are leasing. No reselling of others IPs, no reselling of bulk market providers.
- For Buyers: You must post valid, truthful justification with your request. Please don't waste provider's time.
- For both Buyers & Sellers: You must follow all the other LowEndTalk Forum rules, especially NO PROXIES/SHOES/ABUSIVE SCRAPING/STREETWEAR/ANYTHING THAT WILL VIOLATE OTHERS' TERMS OF SERVICE. This will result in a permanent ban for requesting or offering for these purposes.
IP Transit & Colocation
There is no price limit/rule for colocation or bandwidth/IP transit-related services at this time.⬆️
- This part only applies to direct resellers (i.e. "reselling another company's VPS line"), not to people "renting out VPS services on a dedicated server."
- If you wish to offer re-sold products/services, contact the staff prior to posting your offer to get permission.
- Only cases where choosing you over the original seller is a significant advantage will be considered (access to extra-cheap deals, language barriers, etc).
- You must make clear in your offer post that you are a reseller, and who you are reselling.
License Sales Rules
We only allow sales of owned licenses for products where the vendor supports license transfers. Selling an "account" or a login IS NOT ALLOWED.
Note that WHMCS disallowed license transfers in October 2020, so selling WHMCS licenses is no longer allowed on LowEndTalk.⬆️
- Posting domain auctions does not require any special tags.
- Maximum starting/reserve price is $7.
- Members can only post one (1) domain auction thread per 10 days.
- You need to have been registered for at least 30 days and have at least 25 non-spammy posts to post a domain auction, or to bid/participate in a domain auction.
- All domains in the auction must be at least 6 months old.
- All bids must be public and made in the domain auction thread.
- A deal is a deal. A failure to actually sell/transfer the domains after having offered them on action will have consequences for you at LowEndTalk. A failure to respond or finish the transaction in a decent matter (or at all) as the highest bidder may also have consequences for you at LowEndTalk.
- We don't hold any responsibility for potential disputes between two parties. Participating in auctions is at your own risk.
- Seller must specify currency (USD, Euros, North Korean won, etc.) and payment terms (PayPal, crypto, etc.) in the auction post. Which payment form(s) to accept are up to the seller and any buyer agrees to pay in that form (so don't win an auction that requires PayPal and then say you don't use PayPal).
- Minimum bid increments must be specified, maximum $2.
- An end date/time must be specified, with a timezone.
- Posting service transfers do not require any special tags.
- Members can only post one (1) Service Transfer thread per 10 days.
- You need to have been registered for at least 30 days and have at least 25 non-spammy posts to post a service transfer.
- The selling price for the service cannot be more than 2 times the recurring price, or $10, whichever is higher.
- The transfer must be allowed by the provider and done in official methods. Transferring the whole account by changing the account information is not allowed.
- We don't hold any responsibility for potential disputes between the two parties. Participating in service transfers is at your own risk.
If you do not abide by the above rules, you will receive a warning, your thread might be edited or removed without resetting your offer timer. In some cases, a ban can be applied. Bans can be appealed through the Help Desk only.⬆️
- Using a nulled WHMCS (or other nulled billing software) grants you and your company a lifetime ban on LowEndTalk.
- You must have valid, public WHOIS information for your domain and/or provide proof of company registration on your website (publicly accessible on the website of your country's commerce authority).
- It is not allowed to reply to request threads with "PM me" or "email me" without a Patron Provider or Host Rep tag.
- If you are found to be misleading customers or using ethically questionable practices that may result in financial loss to customers, your Patron Provider tag will be changed to a Host Rep tag and you will not be able to post offers.
- No unsolicited PM's offering services, even if you find a thread that suggests they are looking for a specific thing and you can provide it the offer must be put in public view unless the OP specifically requests PM's.
Anyone (including providers) wishing to offer a giveaway to the community must seek permission from an admin prior to posting. We are generally happy to do so, but at the same time we want to protect the community from scams.⬆️
Strange. Not sure I get why the bar is set higher for shared hosting providers than vps providers (registered for 6 months vs 30 days).
And you can't post shared hosting offers if you don't also offer VPSes? Might have to revoke some provider tags if you're going to enforce that.
Thanks for updating this @AnthonySmith :-) Wasn't in the most obvious of places before!
That's not new , for clarity afaik it was like that spanning back to 2014, it was supposed to be for LET established VPS hosts to also be able to offer shared hosting as a little bolt on.
Neither is that, and it is being looked into.
It has just been made clearer due to the number of 12-year-olds with a $5 cPanel reseller account and WHMCS applying for provider tags.
I did discuss the idea of allowing shared only hosts with the rest of the staff with a much higher bar set for entry, it was a big fat no vote with the concern it would take away from the core value, being the VPS market
As shared hosting is a whole lot tougher to get right than selling VPS's.
As demonstrated by the ongoing alphawoot saga. :P
Ahh okay. I supposed I never thoroughly read through the rules to sell before. Makes sense.
I see, I didn't think about that aspect. Definitely makes sense. Especially with the number of master alpha beta gamma resellers we hear complaints from when their provider goes to crap.
..and I get shit for derailing?
I still don't see how this works for, say, contract coders, admins, et al..
$84/mo for dedicated servers?
Why the raise? I think $49/mo was good enough.
Is it supposed to?
6 months ago, I’d have agreed with you.
3 months ago I bought a server for roughly $96/month because it was such a cracking deal.
Plenty of folks paid in excess of $49 for those lovely Hetzner deals last year.
Maybe we should give it a try, and see how it works?
To avoid seeing the dump stock of barely working, 5 years or longer EOL, stock only with a mix of OVH and Hetzner all the time in a loop.
Depends on content, premium memes are not supposed to derail.
You may have an overly high opinion of your capabilities in that regard.
So if I do not decide to offer VPS aside from Shared Hosting I will not be able to post offers anymore? Seems like this is it for me. I only offer webhosting/webdesign and occasionally move clients who require it to a vps although I do not sell vps as a standalone product but rather redirect my clients to a fitting vps host and move/manage their website there respectively.
@clouvider be first let provider giving price over $49 post your deals
Nothing matching in stock at the moment, sorry
Well if someone has a Dual E5 - 128GB 8 x SAS server with raid 10 for $79 they cant post it and it would be an amazing deal (leaseweb for example), the new dedi price is just a trial and not one I imagine will last, users will get their say.
It also helps to find deals in less common places like asia/australia.
If it turns out that the same old EOL crap just goes up in price here and that's the only effect, then yes it will be reverted.
give it a chance.
@AnthonySmith Any response for my concern (see above)?
Beats me, but Anthony said there were changes underway to answer my pretend-complaint. See also @Ympker's statement.
Perhaps you will qualify for a fine fine superfine "LET Outlaw" flair ?
Ok, I’ll give you that one.
/me LET Outlaw
It is not a rule I introduced, not sure when it was I will have a chat with the rest of the staff and PM you, no immediate cause for concern.
in case anyone wondered about the new dedi price on trial, it was just an arbitrary $7*12 as there are no metrics to see what would work, so it may stay, it may be altered it may be completely reverted.
if the impact is negative, it will be changed accordingly.