Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data!

Comments

• Hi @SGraf, can you please explain your hosting. It says 5 User accounts and then 1 website. Is this reseller hosting with 5 accounts and each with 1 website?

Thanks.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@mansoor said:
    Hi @SGraf, can you please explain your hosting. It says 5 User accounts and then 1 website. Is this reseller hosting with 5 accounts and each with 1 website?

Thanks.

Certainly!

The "Small Plan" allows you to use it with one domain (ie: example.com)
    By default the small service provisions with 1 user that you use to log in and manage the website.
    You can make 5 more users (and allow them to mange your website, attach an e-mailbox/alias to them, access ftp,...).

MyRootPW currently does not offer any reseller accounts.
    This is due to a number of reasons. One of which, is that i believe in direct support. So that if a client has an issue, its resolved directly with no outsourcing/third parties involved - something which is not really possible for reseller plans. The other thing is that offering reseller accounts at this price level would also mean having to make certain compromises that would likely affect service quality. (Therefore if i ever where to do reseller plans, then those would be monthly and lean more towards the expensive side of the market.)

• Thanks for the clarification. I went ahead and placed an order. Ticket: 8103121.

Now keeping fingers crossed on getting a backup from NexusBytes NYC server.

• Oh Crap, SmallWeb NY just went down. Good thing I took a backup this AM.

@SGraf said:
    @Jord Let me know if i can help. How Much backup data are we talking about (in TB)? I could look into provisioning up a dedicated server you can use as temp storage for a month or so - if i have a matching config...

@Everyone Using The NB/Smallweb Webhosting: I will offer you FREE 1 Year of a Small or Medium Web hosting Package in my Amsterdam Location. Just open a Ticket with a screenshot of the NB Billing area showing you have a plan active.
    (Usual Fraud Checks/Control does apply, I reserve the right to stop offering this - To new Users at any time. Limit: 1 Per User)

First users already onboarded. :smile:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Hey everyone,

Thank you @SGraf for the kind offer, unfortunately, I don't have access to any of the systems, so wouldn't be able to change the backup settings,

I will speak with support to see how they are doing with the backups.

I have a few DMs to go through, but unfortunately, there isn't much more I can do, I'm still trying to get hold of Jay.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@Jord said:
    Hey everyone,

Thank you @SGraf for the kind offer, unfortunately, I don't have access to any of the systems, so wouldn't be able to change the backup settings,

I have a few DMs to go through, but unfortunately, there isn't much more I can do, I'm still trying to get hold of Jay.

Both you and me are sad pandas now.

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@SGraf said:

@Jord said:
    Hey everyone,

Both you and me are sad pandas now.

I'm a very sad panda, there isn't much I can do for anyone at this point, I would just recommend taking backups of everything you need from both NB and SmallWeb.

It looks like it's all going down one by one.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

NY stuff down, too?

@MrRadic - Anything you can do to help those out by turning his stuff back on until they can pull their backups / data and migrate elsewhere?

@MannDude said:
    NY stuff down, too?

@MrRadic - Anything you can do to help those out by turning his stuff back on until they can pull their backups / data and migrate elsewhere?

I believe some of it is down, I think a couple of days a least, it would be really helpful if we could, people want some backups from a couple of servers in NYC/LA and Miami.

Thanked by 1LionBear
  • BHSBHS Member

so migrating to another server won't solve the problem, how about a refund, is it possible to request a refund?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@BHS said:
    so migrating to another server won't solve the problem, how about a refund, is it possible to request a refund?

Have a feeling Jay is the only one that could process those too.

Everyone should also remember this all probably means @Jord hasn’t been paid either…

• Any hope for the NYC server hosted services? Fingers crossed to have the chance to get a backup of mine.

• BHSBHS Member

@trewq said:

Everyone should also remember this all probably means @Jord hasn’t been paid either…

Oh it's a shame that @Jord also hasn't been paid for his work which means it's very difficult for NB customers to get a refund. I hope @Jord can do his best for NB customers.

• @SGraf just to confirm, your offer is only limited to Amsterdam correct. NY customers cannot hop on LA hosting?

edited January 2023

@mansoor said:
    @SGraf just to confirm, your offer is only limited to Amsterdam correct. NY customers cannot hop on LA hosting?

Ansterdam i have just added a new hosting-node with fresh hardware.So i know the resources are there to easily sustain a ton of new users. A new node is also coming coming to .US (I'm in Kansas City), later this month.

Thats why I have limited to .nl for now.
    For paying clients I'd normally offer to just transfer them between servers, but for a "free service/year" I'm trying to avoid that. As that would mean extra work on my part.

Thanked by 2bdl msallak1
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@trewq said:

@BHS said:

Small Claims Court.
    Hire @deank as legal advisor.

Thanked by 2BHS dahartigan
  • bdlbdl Member

I've got a domain hosted with smallweb, what usually happens if providers deadpool, does the upstream domain registrar step in then?

• BHSBHS Member

@yoursunny said:
    Small Claims Court.
    Hire @deank as legal advisor.

Maybe for customers with large payments can a claim. But most customers make purchases with little funds, because of the low price promotion by NB.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@bdl said:
    I've got a domain hosted with smallweb, what usually happens if providers deadpool, does the upstream domain registrar step in then?

The upstream registrar doesn't normally know who the end user is. I'd be at least seeing if you can get the transfer code out of the portal.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2023

Not particularly a constructive comment but what a disaster!
    Anyone near Jay to determine if he's alive? As much as this is messed up for everyone else - what if he was kidnapped or something? Sorry if I'm not helping but we are somewhat of an online family even though we don't always get along - I mean he's still human and we might want to consider reporting a missing person if God forbid that's the case.

• bdlbdl Member

@trewq said:

@bdl said:

The upstream registrar doesn't normally know who the end user is. I'd be at least seeing if you can get the transfer code out of the portal.

Thanks! oof - no EPP on portal, blesta shows "Nexus bytes" as registrant/admin/tech/billing contacts and whois shows namesilo as registrar with contacts obfuscated due to whois protection. :lol:

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@bdl said:

@trewq said:

@bdl said:

Thanks! oof - no EPP on portal, blesta shows "Nexus bytes" as registrant/admin/tech/billing contacts and whois shows namesilo as registrar with contacts obfuscated due to whois protection. :lol:

Worse comes to worst, if NB doesn't respond and you need the name transferred out, try reaching out to NameSilo.

https://www.namesilo.com/support/v2/articles/policies/reseller-complaints

Thanked by 2bdl maverick
  • bdlbdl Member

@DP said:

@bdl said:

@trewq said:

@bdl said:

Worse comes to worst, if NB doesn't respond and you need the name transferred out, try reaching out to NameSilo.

https://www.namesilo.com/support/v2/articles/policies/reseller-complaints

Thankyou for this, have opened a ticket with smallweb and if no response in a few days will definitely escalate to Namesilo

• I just noticed that inside the "Announcement" page in NB you can find a quite recent one: "Nexus Bytes - Location migration notification - Germany".

It says only people who are in the German server receives it, even though I'm in NYC, and it says "We have scheduled your server to be migrated on January 15th, 2022".

Have you got this too? Is this a clue for something or has nothing to do with the disappearance?

• @LionBear said:
    I just noticed that inside the "Announcement" page in NB you can find a quite recent one: "Nexus Bytes - Location migration notification - Germany".

It says only people who are in the German server receives it, even though I'm in NYC, and it says "We have scheduled your server to be migrated on January 15th, 2022".

Have you got this too? Is this a clue for something or has nothing to do with the disappearance?

That was as of Dec 26, 2022. Plus only for vps customers. Since it's a notification, it's for all customers even though you never had a service

Thanked by 1LionBear
  • @plumberg said:

@LionBear said:
    I just noticed that inside the "Announcement" page in NB you can find a quite recent one: "Nexus Bytes - Location migration notification - Germany".

That was as of Dec 26, 2022. Plus only for vps customers. Since it's a notification, it's for all customers even though you never had a service

Got it. Well it seemed odd to me that problems started to appear on the day of the migration.

• @bdl said:

@trewq said:

@bdl said:

You should never ever let a provider register your domain name on their name. That just means that (for both the registrar and the registry) it's not your domain name. And in this case... you probably lost it. Because I reckon that the email addresses associated with it are also Nexusbytes' and not yours.

Thanked by 1maverick
  • bdlbdl Member
    edited January 2023

@debaser said:

@bdl said:

@trewq said:

@bdl said:

You should never ever let a provider register your domain name on their name. That just means that (for both the registrar and the registry) it's not your domain name. And in this case... you probably lost it. Because I reckon that the email addresses associated with it are also Nexusbytes' and not yours.

I never let them do anything, it was all in my name when I registered it with smallweb pre-nexusbytes acquisition, this change seems to have happened after the merger. (FWIW, I'm not too fussed about losing this one.)

The current WHOIS has whois protection however clearly states "Reseller: Nexus Bytes LLC" - so I don't think it was registered in their name as I've received no transfer requests since my original purchase with smallweb.

It looks like their CP is still pushing changes to namesilo, so I've updated details and will see what happens.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2023

@debaser said:

@bdl said:

@trewq said:

@bdl said:

This situation sounds like a total disaster, with people unable to transfer their domains registered at NB. When it comes to registering a domain, I would always recommend keeping domains and hosting separate - even if the domain comes at a super cheap rate or is part of the hosting package. The only hosting provider I trusted with registering my domain so far was All-Inkl. All-Inkl is an exception, as they are consistently reliable and trustworthy in this regard; I have recommended them to @Amitz many years ago and still hear positive feedback regularly.

Thanked by 2maverick risharde