Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data!

Comments

• @Zare said:
    Just a note if it comes to it and people need to take backups I will restore all servers and allow a timeframe for people to do so.

I’m hoping to hear from Nexus Bytes soon and resolve things.

Hello, do you know if and when we may be able to request a backup? Seems its over 24 hours and I would really love to see my emails made available.

I am not sure how much you would be waiting to hear back from NB...

Any pointers will be well appreciated.

Thanks

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2023

@MannDude said:

@jsg said:
    @jbiloh, @admins

It seems that the status of NexusBytes has reached a state that necessitates a warning users.

I'd say maybe not just quite yet. It's just one storage node, right? Could be that he's back home or traveling and let a renewal slip. Not that it's a good sign, but not really evident of a potential deadpool.

If more things go offline, or that node isn't back up come, say, Monday, then perhaps a disclaimer may be warranted.

Hmm, in theory yes, kind of. Practically though I do not see any reason to assume that @Jord lied or wrote his post in haste. In fact I'm quite certain that that post was a big and very unpleasant step he would have preferred to be able to avoid. Also, if the very man who actually put efforts and time into saving NB and who saw Jay as a friend, came to (had to) recognize the situation as what it is, I don't see any sense in waiting any longer warning LET users.
    On the other hand I like you do not wish Jay any additional problems, so if @jbiloh / @admins react only tomorrow (your time) that would be OK for me.

Btw, a big thanks goes out to @zare!

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • Hey @Jord any chance u have access to backups and can provide a link to that in the ticket?

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@mansoor said:
    Hey @Jord any chance u have access to backups and can provide a link to that in the ticket?

Whats the ticket number, please?

• @Jord, ticket number: #457956

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited January 2023

Maybe it is time chance for some other provider giving refuge offer

;)

Maybe @kuroit since they using zare too

or @SmartHost

Thanked by 1kuroit
  • Im really sad to see Jay go through this, i really hope he is doing fine and well.
    I was a customer with NB and his service was great, I'm pretty sure he would never intentionally Deadpool. wish him all the best.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@mansoor said:
    @Jord, ticket number: #457956

Please update the ticket, asking if you can get a backup, they might be able to provide you something.

• what happened to him so bad that he'd let NB deadpool?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited January 2023

@cybertech said:
    what happened to him so bad that he'd let NB deadpool?

I'm not sure how's he doing right now but the last time I had a chat with him, he was recovering.

He knows NB isn't like what it used to be, due to his absence, due to his illness, and @Jord has been very supportive in his absence, to help NB as much and as best as he can.

In addition to that, he also said, and I quote, "I won't let it die".

I really can't tell if it's going to deadpool or not, and at the same time, I don't think he has financial issues either so this could just be a matter of late payment(s), just like when the NB domain expired.

I'm just thinking positively here, and most importantly, I really hope his health and his well-being is improving.

• @DP said: the last time I had a chat with him

And when was that?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@malignify said:

@DP said: the last time I had a chat with him

And when was that?

Last year, 07/24/2022.

I usually leave him a message at least once a month, or once in a couple of months, asking if everything's ok.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Jeez, now really seems like the right time for @seriesn to either close up shop and refund customers or show up and do right by his customers. The ghost ship and excuses through third parties are quite tired after half a year? Longer?

I understand the personal issues, whatever those are, and I've got sympathy and compassion for that, though it becomes a tired excuse when you're accepting new orders and renewal payments from unsuspecting customers.

Props to those who have volunteered their time to help support the biz and the customers.

• @jbiloh said:
    Jeez, now really seems like the right time for @seriesn to either close up shop and refund customers or show up and do right by his customers. The ghost ship and excuses through third parties are quite tired after half a year? Longer?

I understand the personal issues, whatever those are, and I've got sympathy and compassion for that, though it becomes a tired excuse when you're accepting new orders and renewal payments from unsuspecting customers.

Props to those who have volunteered their time to help support the biz and the customers.

Looks like a deadpool for sure. Interesting to see how long a company can shamble along based entirely on past goodwill though.

• Just had a ~1 hr outage on Wednesday for 5 VPSes on what I assume is a single node in NB NYC datacenter. No indication of that on the heartbeat site either. Support indicated there was a network issue that was resolved after I reached out in a ticket. After that, I took the last 2 client sites and migrated to Hetzner cloud, where I've moved about a dozen VPS clients over the past 8 months from NB. Despite paying annually for the NB VPS, of the 5 I have left, 4 of them will expire by the end of Feb (the other in May), so I'm not out much $$. My ~$100/month is surely only a drop in the bucket for NB, but it doesn't take too many folks like me leaving to start making a difference in what they are seeing on their end in income. Unfortunate that things had to go this way.

• It's not personal, Jay is a good dude. Business wise I'd avoid like the plague as shitty as that is.

• As the Original Poster, hearing @Jord's comments I feel that @seriesn / Jay appears as someone who does not care.

I totally appreciate that there have been serious background issues but there has also been plenty of time to put a plan in place to mitigate these. Yes it is business, but it is not business to keep on taking money and knowingly deciding to not provide a service - using a well known mjj expression - it is fraud.

I do appreciate that this could be a simple mistake but not responding to Jord or DP shows a much deeper problem.

This has been ongoing and I did read the long thread about problems, but Jord did step in and things did settle so I decided to renew my sub.

As far as I am concerned NB should be given 1 week (7 days) to give a proper response and if none is forthcoming (or satisfactory) then we should really call this deadpool.

May I also thank @Zare for the offer of backups. Luckily I do have my own.

So I am sorry Jay (english expression) - you have burnt your bridges and your friends.

Thanked by 2msallak1 adly
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2023

@dahartigan said:
    It's not personal, Jay is a good dude. Business wise I'd avoid like the plague as shitty as that is.

Yeah, that is kind of where I am. I know I'm biased because I've known him for probably ten years now, but we stopped doing business with them last summer and moved all of our stuff away from them and with Worldstream direct. Same hardware, same network, in the same building, but at a price that is better than what I was getting before and what would sometimes take weeks or longer to get deployed I can now get in 24 hours or so.

Jay has been through a lot in his personal life. I hope anyone I care about doesn't have to go through all that. But, business is business. Gotta do what you gotta do, even if it means moving support from a friend's business that you begin to lose faith in and move it directly to their upstream.

Thanked by 3dahartigan bdl Ympker
  • Well, as predicted and successfully ignored by many:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3469418/#Comment_3469418

• kuroitkuroit Member, Host Rep

@add_iT said:
    Maybe it is time chance for some other provider giving refuge offer

;)

Maybe @kuroit since they using zare too

or @SmartHost

As fellow provider, sad to see how things are going with NB.

RE help or refuge offer: yes, same network, same DC, we're just a message away!

Thanked by 1bdl
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep

All servers are spinning back up for you to take any backups if * you need to. I'll provide until Friday 1PM GMT, hopefully we hear from NB between now and then, but if not that will be the final termination date.

• @Zare - can confirm my London storage is back online.
    Thank you for the kind gesture.

• @Zare said:
    All servers are spinning back up for you to take any backups if * you need to. I'll provide until Friday 1PM GMT, hopefully we hear from NB between now and then, but if not that will be the final termination date.

This is terrific news @Zare

You are a true savior in times of need🙏

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I don't have any servers with NB, but got to say @Zare's response to this seems fantastic and very unusual. Consider yourselves very fortunate that he's on here and knows and understands the situation.

Thanked by 3webcraft Ympker JamesF
  • @Zare said:

Thank you for caring about the community here. I'm not affected but I will definitely remember this moment when purchasing/recommending hosting solutions in areas where you're present.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • it's funny, he is still accepting new orders and some people still think this is not scam. at least have some dignity and stop taking new orders.

Thanked by 2webcraft msallak1
  • speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2023

I was hesitant to post this as it seems a bit out of touch to try and earn revenue from another provider seemingly encroaching on a deadpool, but at the same time SpeedyPage offers services that are very similar in nature to Nexus Bytes.

While we are mostly out of stock in all of our locations, we do have large shipments going to Singapore and we were already looking at opening Tokyo. If anyone has any specific requirements and they are pondering moving on from Nexus, please don't hesitate to reach out and we can work with you to see how we can give you a service as similar as possible to Nexus; hopefully making the migration process as simple as possible.

Props to @Jord - I speak with him on a daily basis and he was truly optimistic of the future for Nexus, I have no doubts he will try his best to make this right for people.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Pro move, @Zare that is very generous of you.

Seems that more or less everyone is on the same page -- business is business and @seriesn needs to show up or shut down.

• bdlbdl Member

Who sells London storage apart from @kuroit ?

Thanked by 1kuroit
  • Refugee offers should be easy, NB was always higher priced and was based on “quality”