Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data! - Page 23
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data!

Comments

• @BilohBucks said:
    Sine NL is down, maybe @WorldStream / @Worldstream_Frank would be kind enough to start server for a few hours to finish taking backups from NB. I would really appreciate that.. I was downloading most of my important data but it suddenly disconnected from network :(

The writing has been on the wall for months, and yet it's only today that you decided to make backups?!

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

@zlatoslav said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

There are really no way to resolve this unless the contract owner (aka the vendor you have an established relationship with and are doing business with) pay the upstream vendor.

I saw in this thread:

the London peeps were able to get help from the DC directly, hoping someone can help us out in California.

So I had a hope maybe the Netherland DC could help...
    I just need the servers were powered on for a couple of hours....
    Is it a huge request?

A little bit empathy is needed....

People are not compassionate / pitiful nowadays...

Just turn on power for a few hours..... but their answer is: No.
    Very sad.

PS. the second their answer was:

We unfortunately are unable to ​offer you assistance in this case.

Sadness :(((((

I get what you're saying. But if I was a vendor, unfortunately it's 100% a no.

You purchased a service with NexusBytes, not the vendor. They don't have any information about you as a client. They don't know you. They don't know if this is a social engineering attempt at trying to gain access to a system, or whatever. They don't fully know the situation and they don't want to be left liable for any risks for unauthorized data access when they need to decommission the server.

I'm not saying your data isn't important, I'm saying that directly messaging the DC is something you can do but probably not an avenue that'll be very fruitful. Some may be willing to take the risk to help someone out but most probably won't. But you shouldn't be blaming the datacenter for "not being nice to you". This is your vendor, the person you decided to do business with, failing you.

This isn't a new situation. This happens pretty frequently actually. I wish you the best but at the current level, I wouldn't be expecting your data to be accessible. Don't bother the upstream vendor, they're more than likely not going to do anything for you because you don't work with them.

Thanked by 1zlatoslav
  • @zlatoslav said: People who are in the same situation - let's contact him to ask any help to access our servers!

But he's not responsible for your failure to make backups or for the failure of your provider to pay their bills

Congrats on your first post

Thanked by 1bdl
  • I would just like to say that 'the writing' was not on the wall for months for all of us. I had 2 good years of NexusBytes service with only a brief network downtime once that was resolved within a couple hours and had the prompt attention of support. I don't tend to seek out threads like this one when everything is going fine.

This meltdown came as a surprise to me. I did have backups, but they were a month old. I realize a lot of other people had experienced a lot more problems that I did prior to the meltdown, so this is not universal.

• @zlatoslav said:
    Or maybe you have any ideas how to resolve?
    Please share.

Thanks.

Nexusbites has moved to selfie support system long back. You need to chase down the owner, take a selfie together and spank him until he responds.

• @brown71 said:
    I would just like to say that 'the writing' was not on the wall for months for all of us. I had 2 good years of NexusBytes service with only a brief network downtime once that was resolved within a couple hours and had the prompt attention of support. I don't tend to seek out threads like this one when everything is going fine.

This meltdown came as a surprise to me. I did have backups, but they were a month old. I realize a lot of other people had experienced a lot more problems that I did prior to the meltdown, so this is not universal.

I agree with this. For most people, noone cares until shit starts going down. Then you'll start googling or checking to see if there's any problems.

It's why so many established vendors try to sell that stability component. It's unfortunate you found out this way. Wishing the best for you and your operation. Shit sucks :(

• zlatoslavzlatoslav Member
    edited February 2023

@angstrom said:

The writing has been on the wall for months, and yet it's only today that you decided to make backups?!

Not sure I fully understand what you mean, but, unfortunately, I wasn't walking near these "walls", so I didn't know anything just until today. The service "just worked" for me for some years....

There were no any email notifies.... I am not used to regularly search forums for data about my service providers..... Maybe some AI in future could do that work for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@jmaxwell said:

Nexusbites has moved to selfie support system long back. You need to chase down the owner, take a selfie together and spank him until he responds.

ha-ha-ha

• zlatoslavzlatoslav Member
    edited February 2023

@HalfEatenPie said:

You purchased a service with NexusBytes, not the vendor. They don't have any information about you as a client. They don't know you. They don't know if this is a social engineering attempt at trying to gain access to a system, or whatever. They don't fully know the situation and they don't want to be left liable for any risks for unauthorized data access when they need to decommission the server.

I understand; but: what are the risks?

what social engineering are you talking about?
    I don't ask to send any information to my email or anything like this.
    I have any required access to the server if it is ON.
    The servers were ON for years, now they are OFF.
    If they turn the server ON for an extra-day, is it a risk?
    Especially if they understood that the owner disappeared and inaccessible.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS. I don't blame DC.
    There were no any word from me with blaming.

• @zlatoslav said:

@angstrom said:

Not sure I fully understand what you mean, but, unfortunately, I wasn't walking near these "walls", so I didn't know anything just until today. The service "just worked" for me for some years....

With that remark, I was replying to @BilohBucks , not to you

What I said to you was:

But he's not responsible for your failure to make backups or for the failure of your provider to pay their bills

(See the context of this statement)

Thanked by 1zlatoslav
  • HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited February 2023

@zlatoslav said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

I understand; but: what are the risks?

what social engineering are you talking about?
    I don't ask to send any information to my email or anything like this.
    I have any required access to the server if it is ON.
    The servers were ON for years, now they are OFF.
    If they turn the server ON for an extra-day, is it a risk?
    Especially if they understood that the owner disappeared and inaccessible.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PS. I don't blame DC.
    There were no any word from me with blaming.

Well for one they already now know one person wants access to the server. They don't know who you are. They don't know if you're an actual client of Nexusbytes or if you're just someone who is trying to gain access to a system.

Like they don't know the full picture. It's safer for them as a business (legally) to just not do anything about it until someone from Nexusbytes, their client, to either pay or let them know what to do. They have no obligations to you.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • Of course, I'm checking LET 24/7 and I see what is going on all the time.. Dude, people have private life, I'm not dedicated to LET at all. Saw thread today, decided to do fresh backup.

• I had my first Ryzen VPS in Miami with Nexusbytes, just for testing. I migrated a long time ago.
    Always have your own backups and verify them with any provider.

Thanked by 1RFord
  • @BilohBucks said:
    Of course, I'm checking LET 24/7 and I see what is going on all the time.. Dude, people have private life, I'm not dedicated to LET at all. Saw thread today, decided to do fresh backup.

Wait people have private lives?

My private life is a bottle of bourbon and a bag of twizzlers. Who wants a wild Thirsty Thursday?

Thanked by 2PureVoltage bdl
  • Re: social engineering, I think they're just asking the data center to turn the machines on again for a few hours. They're not requesting any kind of special access. Anyone that had access to the machine before would continue to have access and anyone who didn't, won't. From a security standpoint it's a neutral action.

Thanked by 2zlatoslav BilohBucks
  • @brown71 said:
    Re: social engineering, I think they're just asking the data center to turn the machines on again for a few hours. They're not requesting any kind of special access. Anyone that had access to the machine before would continue to have access and anyone who didn't, won't. From a security standpoint it's a neutral action.

I get what you mean.

and I'm going to retort with a very stupid response.

Nou

• @BilohBucks said:
    Of course, I'm checking LET 24/7 and I see what is going on all the time.. Dude, people have private life, I'm not dedicated to LET at all. Saw thread today, decided to do fresh backup.

I thought that with all of those BilohBucks, you had more free time for LET, ;) but I see now how you could have missed the writing on the wall. Sorry about this

Thanked by 1BilohBucks
  • I'm with @brown71 - most of the time I concentrate on trying to run my business - I don't trawl the internet for gossip about hosting providers. NexusBytes has been mostly fine for well over a year for me, so without trawling the web for gossip I saw nothing to be concerned about.

Given what the actual situation was I think a responsible business would at least have put a sign in the login area or mailshot everyone when giving up on the business to warn them to download their data (whatever the reason for giving up).

What slightly worries me now is how securely the data will be disposed of. Or will someone be looking through the NexusBytes records and getting access to any machines where the passwords are known... Nothing of value on mine but others may not be in the same situation. I suppose these are lessons learned when dealing with low end hosting. This is how you get what you pay for. Given the way the company has collapsed I will also be keeping a close watch on my credit card in case any mystery transactions start appearing suddenly. I think others should be mindful of this too...

• bdlbdl Member
    edited February 2023

@bb62 said:
    most of the time I concentrate on trying to run my business

... and part of usual business operation should be the implementation (and continual testing) of backup and disaster recovery procedures to ensure that your business has what it needs to keep on operating at all times. This also includes ensuring that any data that is stored on infrastructure not directly controlled by you is encrypted to a level that you are comfortable with should the storage on which it is stored failed/is taken back.

Open source software makes all of the above financially cheap to implement and Google/documentation on the internet makes it time efficient, too!

Hope your backups are not too old - I'm sure from now on they won't be :)

• @bdl said:

@bb62 said:
    most of the time I concentrate on trying to run my business

... and part of usual business operation should be the implementation (and continual testing) of backup and disaster recovery procedures to ensure that your business has what it needs to keep on operating at all times. This also includes ensuring that any data that is stored on infrastructure not directly controlled by you is encrypted to a level that you are comfortable with should the storage on which it is stored failed/is taken back.

I think you are making assumptions that the above was not the case? In my situation what you lay out above was mostly the case. It may not have been for everyone as there is an assumption when you buy into a hosting company that they are trustworthy and responsible. Zero trust is a better assumption but not everyone does that and sometimes you need the hosting company to have access to your data and machine to help you sort out problems especially if you buy a managed solution (which I don't need but some might).

My point was more that part of running my business should not be trawling the Internet for gossip about my hosting provider. Maybe it should be if it's a low end provider. That's an argument for paying more and sticking to well established companies.

My last local backup was older than I would've liked - but it did at least exist. As you say perhaps the frequency of those local backups of mine should increase :smile:

• For those of you that got a refund from Paypal, did you have to escalate the 'dispute' to a 'claim'? I filed a dispute and it's in the process of waiting for NexusBytes to respond, which won't happen, so should I do something to move it to claim status? (Not sure if I got the terminology correct, going by memory here.)

• @brown71 I think when NexusBytes don't respond it's then automatically refunded to you... you just have to wait it out. It may be some managed to convince Paypal the company no longer exists and speeded things up... I'm not sure if you can do that maybe someone else who has been through the process knows...

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong people don't do website backups.
    If the server is dead, I re-deploy the website from scratch.
    https://yoursunny.com/t/2021/disaster-recovery-no-tears/

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @jmaxwell said:

@yoursunny said:

@LTniger said:
    As per protocol, please ban related user:

https://lowendtalk.com/profile/seriesn

Host Rep is already revoked.
    They haven't violated any rule for ordinary members, so they shouldn't be banned.

Wonder what rules @cociu violated as an ordinary member.

Unban @cociu! We want equality!

• I don't have backups.

Instead I just stick a condom on my ethernet port and call it a day.

Can't lose data you can't even send nerds.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

• goatboynzgoatboynz Member
    edited February 2023

well, now I know why my site is not running LOL.

• goatboynzgoatboynz Member
    edited February 2023

@Zare said:
    Just a note if it comes to it and people need to take backups I will restore all servers and allow a timeframe for people to do so.

I’m hoping to hear from Nexus Bytes soon and resolve things.

did you here from him LOL
    Can anyone point me to a new hoster? I did have a vps 4g,4c,120ghdd in NY Get at me

• @goatboynz said: Can anyone point me to a new hoster? I did have a vps 4g,4c,120ghdd in NY Get at me

Can't go wrong with a slice from @Francisco - https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2023

@SGraf said:
    @Jord Let me know if i can help. How Much backup data are we talking about (in TB)? I could look into provisioning up a dedicated server you can use as temp storage for a month or so - if i have a matching config...

@Everyone Using The NB/Ex Smallweb Webhosting: I will offer you FREE 1 Year of a Small or Medium Web hosting Package in my Amsterdam Location. Just open a Ticket with a screenshot of the NB Billing area showing you have a plan active.
    (Usual Fraud Checks/Control does apply, I reserve the right to stop offering this - To new Users at any time. Limit: 1 Per User)

The offer for:

1 Year of Free Webhosting (Small or Medium Plan)
    to Users of the Smallweb/Nexusbytes Webhosting Services (before they went down)

is still valid!

Now available in .NL and .AT

However as the Billing Portal is down, I'm also happy to accept a screenshot of the PayPal transaction where you paid for the service to NB/Smallweb - as proof.

• Worldstream_FrankWorldstream_Frank Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2023

Yesterday Worldstream made the decision to bring several servers offline that belong to NexusBytes. We were notified that as a result several LET users are affected (such as @rattlecattle @BilohBucks @bb62 @softweed @zlatoslav @brown71). I’d like to update everyone about Worldstream’s stance on this situation.

Ideally NexusBytes should be able to resolve these concerns autonomously. However, there are no signs of this being a realistic outcome. Communication suddenly seized from one day to another. So, to help everyone Worldstream will bring the servers online for a small timeframe to make backups and/or migrate important data. This will occur only once.

We will bring servers online for a duration of 5 hours in the following timeframe:

12:00 - 17:00 CET / 03:00 – 08:00 PST on February 10, 2023

Feel free to let me know if I’ve left out anyone concerning who is on LET and I’ll do my best to give them a heads-up. Please note that we are not able to give any guarantees as we are the ones providing the infrastructure.