Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data! - Page 20
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data!

Comments

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

RIP NexusBytes. He really did a great job with branding and community involvement. It's a shame!

• is this one of the most weirdest deadpools or not? long-time time users? if jord didn't help out i guess it could have been quicker but has there been any similar in the past? I remember hostdoc losing it and 'next monday' as stand outs

Thanked by 2Hassan pepa65
  • With the involucration saga in mind: cociu sold off his IP ranges even before he was deadpooled. It’s strange that all of @seriesn’s IP ranges are still his.

Could’ve sold them off if it was really an exit scam. Would’ve lost them by now if they’re rented. I don’t get it.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@debaser said:
    With the involucration saga in mind: cociu sold off his IP ranges even before he was deadpooled. It’s strange that all of @seriesn’s IP ranges are still his.

Could’ve sold them off if it was really an exit scam. Would’ve lost them by now if they’re rented. I don’t get it.

That's what I'm saying. He could have made more money by properly selling the brand when an offer was on the table, or by doing a more involved exit scam. Dude just stopped paying bills and stuff is going offline by the sounds of it. That's more in line with the previous issues in his life than anything else.

If there was true malicious intent, you'd think he'd have come back once to post some crazy annual deals or something to get some fresh sales and then vanish.

I think it's shitty, and NB was our upstream in NL for a long time before I jumped ship last August after growing annoyed with Jay. Despite this, it doesn't feel like a traditional exit scam. Guy just slowly let his good name diminish until his brand deadpooled.

Not sure what is owned and what is leased: https://bgp.tools/as/206607#prefixes

/24s are still going for about 10k last I've seen.

Thanked by 2treesmokah pepa65
  • @MannDude said:

@debaser said:
    With the involucration saga in mind: cociu sold off his IP ranges even before he was deadpooled. It’s strange that all of @seriesn’s IP ranges are still his.

That's what I'm saying. He could have made more money by properly selling the brand when an offer was on the table, or by doing a more involved exit scam. Dude just stopped paying bills and stuff is going offline by the sounds of it. That's more in line with the previous issues in his life than anything else.

If there was true malicious intent, you'd think he'd have come back once to post some crazy annual deals or something to get some fresh sales and then vanish.

I think it's shitty, and NB was our upstream in NL for a long time before I jumped ship last August after growing annoyed with Jay. Despite this, it doesn't feel like a traditional exit scam. Guy just slowly let his good name diminish until his brand deadpooled.

maybe he faked this too so it doesnt look like an exit scam.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2023

@cybertech said:

@MannDude said:

@debaser said:

It's like robbing a bank, but you only ask the tellers for the money in their purses instead of for the money in the safe or drawers.

Just doesn't make sense.

Edit: Not trying to really minimize the shittiness of the situation. I feel for those impacted.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited February 2023

@MannDude said:

@cybertech said:

@MannDude said:

@debaser said:

It's like robbing a bank, but you only ask the tellers for the money in their purses instead of for the money in the safe or drawers.

Just doesn't make sense.

Edit: Not trying to really minimize the shittiness of the situation. I feel for those impacted.

its like NexusBytes is selling secure storage services for clients to store assets, then set up accounts for them to deposit credits in the banks' safe for perks to offset storage fees, paid up location lease across a few units from different landlords for a while, then emptied the credits while keeping the doors open, less and less customer service staff while the lease runs out.

now lights are out except a reception desk with no staff, the rest of units are chained up.

edit: I don't believe he scammed on purpose, but this looks like as-is ie an unintended scam, and i was just bored.

• fwiw I believe this guy had serious health issues and I really feel for him. It seems he thought that having the company was giving him a reason to keep going and that one he was better he could continue running it. He probably didn't want to sell because then he might have some money but not the company he loved for when he was better. It looks like he's probably having a really rough time right now to be ignoring the company and everyone to the point it's just shutting itself down.

So I really feel for the guy, I hope he's okay and that he manages to recover. However this highlights how a company can't be something that belongs to just one person and is their personal baby. He has let us all down and he could and should have avoided that. It's shit but I get how stuff can get out of hand when it comes to health at least we all had backups and can move elsewhere (right?...).

If it's an exit scam it seems like a super slow and poorly executed one. "Never Attribute to Malice That Which Is Adequately Explained by Stupidity".

Thanked by 3pepa65 MannDude dusst
  • @Jord said:

@MannDude said:

@edd said:

@MannDude said:

Weird that one random guy in the thread got an unexpected refund, but no one else.

@Jord is being amazing and was sorting refunds for any new orders that came in. I don't know if they still have access with stuff being offline now but if anyone has ordered or renewed recently they might still be able to refund it.

Super sad situation, everyone make sure you've got business continuity if you were to suddenly dissapear...

Ah. He may have been able to process them through WHMCS' PayPal integration.

Either way, the PayPal account owner (Jay/Nahian) would be able to see refunded transactions. I still stand by that if he was purposely trying to exit-scam, he'd have kicked Jord's access. If not at first, as soon as he saw any reversed PayPal transactions that he didn't initiate himself.

There is a lot that doesn't add up to me over all of this. In any event, hopefully the impact of whatever all this turns out to be is minimal for the customers that remain.

I've been refunding everyone who's been signing up, I didn't refund the payment that the user didn't ask for here, which I find odd. Not sure how that one happened.

Unfortunately, I can't login anymore, my access to refunds was never removed.

Will this crisis affect SmallWeb service? If yes, I would like to transfer my domain out.

• @kainjinez said:

@Jord said:

@MannDude said:

@edd said:

@MannDude said:

Weird that one random guy in the thread got an unexpected refund, but no one else.

@Jord is being amazing and was sorting refunds for any new orders that came in. I don't know if they still have access with stuff being offline now but if anyone has ordered or renewed recently they might still be able to refund it.

Super sad situation, everyone make sure you've got business continuity if you were to suddenly dissapear...

Either way, the PayPal account owner (Jay/Nahian) would be able to see refunded transactions. I still stand by that if he was purposely trying to exit-scam, he'd have kicked Jord's access. If not at first, as soon as he saw any reversed PayPal transactions that he didn't initiate himself.

There is a lot that doesn't add up to me over all of this. In any event, hopefully the impact of whatever all this turns out to be is minimal for the customers that remain.

I've been refunding everyone who's been signing up, I didn't refund the payment that the user didn't ask for here, which I find odd. Not sure how that one happened.

Will this crisis affect SmallWeb service? If yes, I would like to transfer my domain out.

If the parent company aka NexusBytes goes down how can a subsidiary aka SmallWeb survive when no one can run it?

• @AuroraZero said:

@kainjinez said:

@Jord said:

@MannDude said:

@edd said:

@MannDude said:

If the parent company aka NexusBytes goes down how can a subsidiary aka SmallWeb survive when no one can run it?

Mine is not a good question. But still keep some hope in Jord since he supported me very well. And its Smallweb site still able to access normally when asking.

• @kainjinez said:

@AuroraZero said:

@kainjinez said:

@Jord said:

@MannDude said:

@edd said:

@MannDude said:

Mine is not a good question. But still keep some hope in Jord since he supported me very well. And its Smallweb site still able to access normally when asking.

Remove your domain now. @Jord has no control when things will go down. He does not own NexusBytes and can not stop what is going to happen from happening.

He is just trying to keep things going until people can move to minimize the damage.

Again @Jord does not own any part of this and he can not prevent what is going to happen.

Move your domain and back up your site now.

Thanked by 1kainjinez
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@kainjinez said:

@Jord said:

@MannDude said:

@edd said:

@MannDude said:

It will go down with NexusBytes, nothing I can do, unfortunately, is your domain in Namesilo?

• @Jord said:

@kainjinez said:

@Jord said:

@MannDude said:

@edd said:

@MannDude said:

It will go down with NexusBytes, nothing I can do, unfortunately, is your domain in Namesilo?

Yes. It is in Namesilo. What I can do now? I don't see any option to get auth code to move out.

• kainjinezkainjinez Member
    edited February 2023

I renewed 10 years of domain service but now somehow it shows up only 2024 not 2032-2033 :(
    The dashboard:

External whois site:

I sent you a PM for this. Please help.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@kainjinez said:
    I renewed 10 years of domain service but now somehow it shows up only 2024 not 2032-2033 :(
    The dashboard:

External whois site:

Unfortunately, if it's namesilo, I can't help, I don't have access to this, I believe @bdl was able to get his domain from namesilo transferred. Sorry about that.

Thanked by 2kainjinez bdl
  • Maybe he is in a mental hospital?
    Just a thought..

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • @Jord said:

@kainjinez said:
    The dashboard:

External whois site:

Unfortunately, if it's namesilo, I can't help, I don't have access to this, I believe @bdl was able to get his domain from namesilo transferred. Sorry about that.

Can I get a refund since it is not more 9 years renewal?

• @kainjinez said:

@Jord said:

@kainjinez said:
    The dashboard:

External whois site:

Can I get a refund since it is not more 9 years renewal?

From who? @Jord has no way to do this for you. He doesn't have access. He can only reverse new orders which there should be none.

Thanked by 1kainjinez
  • bdlbdl Member
    edited February 2023

@Jord said:

@kainjinez said:
    The dashboard:

External whois site:

Correct! For those playing at home, I followed the procedure listed at https://www.namesilo.com/support/v2/articles/policies/reseller-complaints

I wasn't able to obtain the full domain renewal time represented in the Smallweb portal as that had not been pushed to Namesilo, but was happy to regain control of the domain.

• @suyadi92 said:
    Has anyone uses SmallWeb? is your directAdmin panel down guys?

Yes, it was down with the site from around Jan.25th (Toronto).

Thanked by 1suyadi92
  • @edd said:
    fwiw I believe this guy had serious health issues and I really feel for him. It seems he thought that having the company was giving him a reason to keep going and that one he was better he could continue running it. He probably didn't want to sell because then he might have some money but not the company he loved for when he was better. It looks like he's probably having a really rough time right now to be ignoring the company and everyone to the point it's just shutting itself down.

With the benefit of hindsight, I guess you are right.

Otherwise the company's domain would not have been regged until 2027 :'(

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited February 2023

I've been following this thread and honestly, I too think something is wrong with Jay / Nahian. Trying my best to contact him, we were never close, but having suffered from mental issues myself, I'd like to help (if that's his case too).

Thanked by 1pepa65
  • @MikePT said:
    I've been following this thread and honestly, I too think something is wrong with Jay / Nahian. Trying my best to contact him, we were never close, but having suffered from mental issues myself, I'd like to help (if that's his case too).

Some of us have tried that route and he has not responded. I am sure there is more here then what we can see at this point.

He is either really I'll or he has had some kind of breakdown that requires hospitalization of some sort, but this is all speculation at this point.

Thanked by 3MikePT pepa65 Hassan
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Normally this refers to the customer/order, but here this may as well refer to the provider.

Thanked by 2pepa65 ariq01
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@AuroraZero said:

@MikePT said:

Some of us have tried that route and he has not responded. I am sure there is more here then what we can see at this point.

He is either really I'll or he has had some kind of breakdown that requires hospitalization of some sort, but this is all speculation at this point.

Let's hope he's ok...

Thanked by 2AuroraZero skorous
  • @MikePT said:

@AuroraZero said:

@MikePT said:

Let's hope he's ok...

I am hoping he reaches out even if it is not here. I am hoping he is well or recovering. Nexus aside as I could give two rats as long as he is ok.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Is @Jord the only one left to handle tickets and refunds at Smallweb?

• @default said:
    Is @Jord the only one left to handle tickets and refunds at Smallweb?

Are SmallWeb customers being refunded, @Jord?

Thanked by 1pepa65