Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data! - Page 24
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NexusBytes' off the radar. Backup/retrieve your data!

Comments

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Worldstream continues to be top-notch.

• @Worldstream_Frank sounds good but my server did not appear and I think it should have if those times are correct...? I'm not sure what LET is so perhaps I'm not in that... My server was in the New York data center.

• Worldstream_FrankWorldstream_Frank Member, Patron Provider

@bb62 the timeframe is for tomorrow. Giving everyone some headroom. Should be 19 hours from now!

• @Worldstream_Frank Oh ok - I thought it was a bit short notice. It says Feb 9th on the announcement - should say 10th?

Thanked by 1Worldstream_Frank
  • @Worldstream_Frank said:
    @bb62 the timeframe is for tomorrow. Giving everyone some headroom. Should be 19 hours from now!

@Worldstream_Frank - please fix the date to 10th. You said 9th.

Thanked by 1Worldstream_Frank
  • Worldstream_FrankWorldstream_Frank Member, Patron Provider

@bb62 yes, I stand corrected.

• Great - thanks for doing this @Worldstream_Frank

• @Worldstream_Frank ok LET I assume means lowendtalk.com users (duh! not been here long enough). To clarify - Worldstream seem to be Netherlands based. Are you talking about the Netherlands servers only? It's my New York server I'm after - but maybe that's not one Worldstream deals with? I had a test server in NL but nothing important was there. Either way thanks for doing this for those who have stuff in NL they need.

• I can't even access their site. Connection Time Out :/

• @Worldstream_Frank Thank you very much! You are the best guys! I'm so happy right now that I will be able to get everything that I'm missing!
    Literally made my day <3
    I can't find words to say how much thankful I'm now

Thanked by 1zlatoslav
  • @Worldstream_Frank 🙏

Could you advise what locations are these servers that are planned to be brought up?
    Thank you

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@plumberg said:
    @Worldstream_Frank 🙏

Could you advise what locations are these servers that are planned to be brought up?
    Thank you

NexusBytes' NL servers.

• Thanks for clarifying @DP - now if only those responsible for the servers in New York would do the same...

@bb62 said: now if only those responsible for the servers in New York would do the same...

They have already clarified their stance on this situation.

• Thanks @Worldstream_Frank, I am also one of the people with an NL-based NB VPS and just found out everything today. These past weeks I've been massively preoccupied with work and moving to a new country (to NL, coincidentally) and luckily happened to check on things today. I have my alarm set for 12:00 CET.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bb62 said: Thanks for clarifying @DP - now if only those responsible for the servers in New York would do the same...

The servers have long since been formatted.

Reliablesite is heavily automated so once those nodes were past whatever grace period they give for non-payment, they went right to the reprovisioning queue.

There's absolutely no reason to hate on Radic here. He did nothing wrong, he's simply an upstream to NB.

Francisco

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:

@bb62 said: Thanks for clarifying @DP - now if only those responsible for the servers in New York would do the same...

The servers have long since been formatted.

Reliablesite is heavily automated so once those nodes were past whatever grace period they give for non-payment, they went right to the reprovisioning queue.

There's absolutely no reason to hate on Radic here. He did nothing wrong, he's simply an upstream to NB.

Francisco

I have to agree with this. No hate should be on Radic, it should be towards the provider who failed their customers and disappeared.

We have to shut down customers due to non payment at times and it's just part of the business nature. Don't pay = suspended, terminated, wiped, on to the next customers. Time is money, this is a huge reason why everyone should always have off site backups with a different provider / stored at home. We tell our customers this all of the time as you just never know what can happen.

Thanked by 3msallak1 bdl crunchbits
  • @Worldstream_Frank said:
    Yesterday Worldstream made the decision to bring several servers offline that belong to NexusBytes. We were notified that as a result several LET users are affected (such as @rattlecattle @BilohBucks @bb62 @softweed @zlatoslav @brown71). I’d like to update everyone about Worldstream’s stance on this situation.

Ideally NexusBytes should be able to resolve these concerns autonomously. However, there are no signs of this being a realistic outcome. Communication suddenly seized from one day to another. So, to help everyone Worldstream will bring the servers online for a small timeframe to make backups and/or migrate important data. This will occur only once.

We will bring servers online for a duration of 5 hours in the following timeframe:

12:00 - 17:00 CET / 03:00 – 08:00 PST on February 10, 2023

Feel free to let me know if I’ve left out anyone concerning who is on LET and I’ll do my best to give them a heads-up. Please note that we are not able to give any guarantees as we are the ones providing the infrastructure.

That's great service. Special situations needs special service. Thanks!

Should people also erase their storage or are you doing secure erase?

• @DP @Francisco thanks for clarifying. I had heard the name Radic but didn't know he was responsible for the New York servers. So this makes the situation clear. I understand the reasoning but a pity there was no leeway. No hate from my end - just annoyance that NexusBytes allowed themselves to collapse this way and were not more transparent about the situation. These sorts of situations don't do the low end industry any favours.

• @bb62 said:
    I'm with @brown71 - most of the time I concentrate on trying to run my business - I don't trawl the internet for gossip about hosting providers. NexusBytes has been mostly fine for well over a year for me, so without trawling the web for gossip I saw nothing to be concerned about.

Given what the actual situation was I think a responsible business would at least have put a sign in the login area or mailshot everyone when giving up on the business to warn them to download their data (whatever the reason for giving up).

What slightly worries me now is how securely the data will be disposed of. Or will someone be looking through the NexusBytes records and getting access to any machines where the passwords are known... Nothing of value on mine but others may not be in the same situation. I suppose these are lessons learned when dealing with low end hosting. This is how you get what you pay for. Given the way the company has collapsed I will also be keeping a close watch on my credit card in case any mystery transactions start appearing suddenly. I think others should be mindful of this too...

You should assume that if you are using a provider in the low-end sphere, and especially if it is running on OpenVZ that your data is being read through. KVM can still be read through, but you at least need to make more than a single command effort to get into the VM.

vzctl enter 100

If you are worried about the security of your data, get a dedicated server or colocate.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ bdl
  • By the way in one sense it's good Radic makes sure the servers are formatted. Presumably no worries about data theft/leakage at least due to the haphazard collapse of NexusBytes - at least from the servers.

• Anyone know what data center/provider NexusBytes used for their Los Angeles service? Mostly just for curiosity at this point, as it doesn't sound like there's hope of anything happening. (Haven't read the full hundreds of messages in the thread so I don't know if this has already been mentioned.)

@brown71 said:
    Anyone know what data center/provider NexusBytes used for their Los Angeles service? Mostly just for curiosity at this point, as it doesn't sound like there's hope of anything happening. (Haven't read the full hundreds of messages in the thread so I don't know if this has already been mentioned.)

ReliableSite.

• @AlyssaD just to point out this in what you are commenting on:

Nothing of value on mine but others may not be in the same situation

I think if you don't understand the security risks of low end servers or servers in general of any sort you probably shouldn't be running servers BUT this is not an ideal world and I think all sorts of people with all sorts of skill sets run servers. So one has to be realistic. Everyone has to start somewhere and learn. That is why I made my comments - to remind those who may not have considered the implications fully. I was assuming not everyone here already knows all this stuff.

• @DP said: ReliableSite

Thank you. With something to F3 I was able to wade through the earlier posts and get a little bit of the backstory.

• yywudiyywudi Member
    edited February 2023

oh holy sh*t.
    I just received the mail from paypal that NexusByte/SmallWeb cancel the auto-payment, then I found the smallweb website down...

I just renewed the invoice last month!! how fool am I! I didn't get any mail/notification of what happened until I'm here in this LET topic after searing smallweb keyword......

seems only submitting disputes/claims to paypal may get me renew fee back

• :( indeed sad to see NB ended like this.....

• @MGarbis said: That's great service. Special situations needs special service. Thanks!

yes, I could finally move to buyvm from nb

• @swat4 said:
    :( indeed sad to see NB ended like this.....

Yes indeed....it's sad but we have to move on..

Thanked by 1bdl