Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TacticalVPS busted node in LA - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TacticalVPS busted node in LA

Comments

• LA vps is up now...:)

• yywudiyywudi Member

@MorningIris said:
    LA vps is up now...:)

which node? my VPS of LA in Recon Node still down.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Mine, too

Thanked by 1lelewku
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member

@asterisk14 said:
    OK, I'll stop asking 'difficult' questions.

It's a legitimate question. It's one thing I consider when I host critical services. Although you do jump in on it wherever you can.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

Can anyone PM me their IP from this node?

• yywudiyywudi Member

@Virtovo said:
    Can anyone PM me their IP from this node?

for what purpose may i ask?

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@yywudi said:
    for what purpose may i ask?

If this is merely payment related I'd like to get in contact with WebNX and see if it's possible to get the server re-activated.

• @Virtovo said:
    It's a legitimate question. It's one thing I consider when I host critical services.

Some hosts around here don't like the question and smack me down for asking it, rather than answering it.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited May 2014

@asterisk14 said:

I think it's the frequency with which you ask it; however if you have services with all the providers I guess it is legitimate. To be clear, with Virtovo if the key person is gone, notice will be given immediately, services will continue for a month with technical support, any pre-paid accounts will be refunded their remaining balance and the business closed.

• Do i need to send payments to anyone for my Kansas VPS?

• jnguyenjnguyen Member

@Virtovo said:
    I think it's the frequency with which you ask it; however if you have services with all the providers I guess it is legitimate. To be clear, with Virtovo if the key person is gone, notice will be given immediately, services will continue for a month with technical support, any pre-paid accounts will be refunded their remaining balance and the business closed.

A stable operation should not have A key person. It should have key people.

For example if I left GVH, we'd still be running strong without me and I have no doubt of that, although I'm sure it would it ran with a different management style and marketing approach than what I've got going right now.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member

Also, my deepest condolences to @Ian_

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@GreenValueHost said:
    For example if I left GVH, we'd still be running strong without me and I have no doubt of that, although I'm sure it would it ran with a different management style and marketing approach than what I've got going right now.

To be honest Jon, without your marketing approach I imagine GVH would have disappeared long ago.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited May 2014

@GreenValueHost said:

I find it very hard to take anything you say seriously. You ignore scale. It's easy build a castle of cards and have CEOs, COOs, CTOs, CFOs, VPs etc when you're in high school and don't have costs of living.

For most LEB hosts, there will be a single key person. As long as there is contingency should the worse happen that gives clients notice, support and their money back that is good enough.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Mark_R
  • asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2014

@Virtovo said:
    For most LEB hosts, there will be a single key person. As long as there is contingency should the worse happen that gives clients notice, support and their money back that is good enough.

Even though I go on about one man shows, I think what Virtovo said above is right. As long as there is a contingency plan and customers are INFORMED, then that is good enough. I would be more than happy if a OMS (one man show) promised that if something went wrong, their servers would be up for a week and an email would be sent out immediately so that people could backup their data.

What tends to happen is the exact opposite. A server/node goes down, customer opens a ticket, no one from the hosting company replies to tickets for a few days customer thinks it's just a delay in ticket response, after a few days it gets posted here, a few more days pass and then they post here, then we find out in dribs and drabs what is going on and by that time the host has totally collapsed with everyone losing their data.

Look at the this thread as a case in point, while I appreciate the circumstances, Ian is yet to respond.

• arestarest Member

Thx my LA vps up again :D

• NekkiNekki Veteran

asterisk14 said: Even though I go on about one man shows, I think what Virtovo said above is right. As long as there is a contingency plan and customers are INFORMED, then that is good enough. I would be more than happy if a OMS (one man show) promised that if something went wrong, their servers would be up for a week and an email would be sent out immediately so that people could backup their data.

I get a feeling pretty much all hosts would promise you this, but whether they actually deliver is another matter - after all, who's going to respond to that question with 'you'd be fucked mate'?

Not doubting the question isn't valid, but you're never going to be sure you've got a genuine answer until the shit hits the fan.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2014

@Nekki said:

TRUE. But them not replying to the question at all or bashing me for asking speaks volumes.

• rostinrostin Member

@arest said:
    Thx my LA vps up again :D

Please which node you are located at ? All of my LA VPSes at node 'Recon' are still offline :(

• jnguyenjnguyen Member

@Virtovo Don't even play that age card.

Compared to most LET hosts including Virtovo, we've massive which is why we can afford to hire multiple people with management duties. Your company's operating income is probably half or less the size of my individual paycheck.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@GreenValueHost said:
    Virtovo Don't even play that age card.

Compared to most LET hosts including Virtovo, we've massive which is why we can afford to hire multiple people with management duties. Your company's operating income is probably half or less the size of my individual paycheck.

There was no dig at age. The point was about circumstance and cost of living. I don't really care about the size of your pay check. You've said some stupid stuff and have been through some really rough growing pains at GVH which your customers have felt the pain of too. I have lost count of how many times you've posted a "I'm really sorry, everyone hates me, what should I do" type of post. I'd prefer to keep my integrity and build a service based on quality rather than quantity. I still suspect you're building a dangerous house of cards with your business but that's your concern and not mine.

• arestarest Member

@rostin said:

OpenVZ1LA

• Nekki said: I get a feeling pretty much all hosts would promise you this, but whether they actually deliver is another matter - after all, who's going to respond to that question with 'you'd be fucked mate'?

I suppose LowEndSpirit. @AnthonySmith is abnormally genuine though ;P

• yywudiyywudi Member

@arest said:
    OpenVZ1LA

so your vps is ovz, that seems VPS in Recon node are all KVMs which still offline.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2014

@AThomasHowe said:

Heh, Well I suppose the difference is that Inception Hosting is my sole income, if it goes down due to reputation etc then I go down with it.

Also this whole one man show thing baffles me, even if I hired a few support people and an accountant (aside from the fact that makes me financially vulnerable) if I get hit by "the bus" the company still closes so.... hmm

I am lucky to know people in the same industry that could run things if I got suddenly incapacitated and if I was not coming back long term I would probably just hand everything over to someone like OpenITC as they are on my door step literally.

LES is none commercial so if you even complain about me losing your data in a rude manner I would probably terminate you :)

edit: I have a book keeper.... am I still a one man show?

Thanked by 1AThomasHowe
  • AnthonySmith said: LES is none commercial so if you even complain about me losing your data in a rude manner I would probably terminate you :)

Wait... you don't do daily backups on the 3 EUR/year plans? What kind of sick scam artist are you?!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • My vps in Kansas is still live.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    edit: I have a book keeper.... am I still a one man show?

Yes, yes you are! Your book keeper will not know how to keep your nodes up. All the term 'one man show' means to me is that without that one man the entire thing collapses. In this case, I'd like a host who is responsible, like yourself, who has some kind of a backup plan should anything go wrong. The hosts I'm most wary of are the kiddie host one man shows who lack maturity or the real one man shows who have no backup plan. And here we are seeing what can happen when there is no plan and one man holds all the keys to everything.

I would definately buy from you if I needed a service, same with Ramnode, VPSDime, and INIZ, as I see the commitment you guys have.

• @Jack said:
    Haha serverian asterisk14 thinks Nodisto is a one man show... that's funny.

I didn't mean it like that, stop shit stirring @jack.

• rostinrostin Member
    edited May 2014

Oh no, today my KVM VPSs at their node 'SAS' are down,too

So sad :(