Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TacticalVPS busted node in LA - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TacticalVPS busted node in LA

12345679»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

lelewku said: the weird thing he was online last 20 june and didnt even say a single word bout this thing.

You say it's weird, but I'm pretty sure no-one acts 'normal' when they've just lost their wife.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited June 2014

@Nekki said:
    You say it's weird, but I'm pretty sure no-one acts 'normal' when they've just lost their wife.

naive.

• @Nekki said:

are you saying he was not acting 'normal' to remember to login lowendtalk? not going to disrepect, but...

• @lelewku said:
    are you saying he was not acting 'normal' to remember to login lowendtalk? not going to disrepect, but...

we need to get mpkossen in on this.
    he would be able to check the logs and look at what exactly his did while logged in here;
    wrote pm's, opened threads, etc...

Thanked by 1lelewku
  • SpiritSpirit Member

darkshire said: he would be able to check the logs and look at what exactly his did while logged in here; wrote pm's, opened threads, etc...

Vanilla forum administrator can't do anything like that. There's no "tool" to follow user actions at forum.

• @darkshire said:

It is exactly that easy bruh. Since when do you NEED to know every little detail about someone's life? If you believe the story as I do, great, give the guy some space. If you don't, great, treat it like every other deadpooled provider and find someone else to take your $5 and move on with life.

Next you people will be driving out to his house to harass him in person. Sheesh...

• joshinjoshin Member

Joe, none of us NEED to know every little detail about our provider's life. What we need is for that provider to show enough honor and class to communicate with us when there is a problem.

I'm fine not knowing a thing about his personal life. In fact, I'd prefer it.

In about 10 minutes, I knew his address, previous address, his real first name, and that he's been arrested... I couldn't find however, any sort of evidence that his wife, or any woman with the same last name as his died recently.

What I really don't get are the people still defending him after two months. People have been cheated by him. I can understand why those who have been cheated by him keep this thread alive. I can't understand why people are still defending Ian.

"...treat it like every other deadpooled provider..."

I'm doing exactly that, naming and shaming them so they can't do it again so easily.

Again, @Ian_ logged in here every day for the six weeks after my node went down. If he apologized or communicated some sort of message to me (and probably everyone else who has been impacted) I'd have been perfectly fine to walk away without calling him a cheat.

A bit of honesty and contrition go a long way.

• @joshin said:

I get this a lot when searching for his name and TacticalVPS, what a conspiracy!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If you want to page @mpkossen you do it with an at sign.

Everyone's all over him for logging into LET but for all we know he's got some RSS reader or a PC he's left running. I don't make too much of that.

However, I honestly do think he owes his clients an explanation, regardless of personal circumstance. Certainly not on day one but it's been a while. I'm sure in the last five weeks he's managed to pay his rent/mortgage and apparently his internet bill. A word to his customers ("for personal reasons, I'm shutting down TacticalVPS, sorry for short notice") is not unreasonable in that length of time.

• Data protection law? There's such a thing?

• You guys are still believing the whole "lost my wife" routine?

Give me a break.

Thanked by 1darkshire
  • I signed up to low end box as it was on this site i saw the advert for tactical vps. Havent needed to use it for a few months but now i need some of the files i have on it and to get it up and running again as it appears to have gone down.

i emailed @ian and the email bounced back as undeliverable
    i cant access the vps
    i cant access the control panal
    i cant access the billing page

so i came here in the hopes of finding out what has happened and how to fix it.

From reading this i see that the owners wife died in may, that is indeed sad to hear and my heart goes out to him on that, but that was a couple of months ago and while i understand theres no timeframe or limit on grief a simple email would of let us what is happening and what his plans are (he has shot off many emails before keeping us uptodate with everything and even asking for input on where he should host new servers, but he has just gone dark for a long time now)

I see the phrase Dead Pooled and that to me just conjures images of the merc with a mouth, a comic book character.... im assuming that it means something else here on low end box ?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@D_Eastwick

Here deadpooling means that a company has gone out of business. That can either be going bankrupt, running with the money or any other way.

• @Fliphost said:
    D_Eastwick

Here deadpooling means that a company has gone out of business. That can either be going bankrupt, running with the money or any other way.

i was so very much hoping that was not what it ment. Heres hoping he comes back and that will not be the case, but reading a few of the more recent posts on this thread seem to suggest he may of just stopped, given the lack of "im sorry but" email/message/smoke signal the just stopping seems more then a little suspect.

• @concerto49 said:

concerto49 said: It is us. As to the servers they're currently suspended. As it's a VPS, I'm really not sure how we could work this out.

We were in talks with TacticalVPS a while back about a possible takeover, but it never got completed.

Well in my case i paid in advance for 1 year then i paid to upgrade my vps again for the year in advance. That year runs out Feb 2015
    Did he not pay your company for a year at the same time (im assuming he brought it from you at x then sold it on to me at x + his fees) or was he paying your company monthly?

Im trying to understand why you would suspend the servers of already paid customers (and ill be honest i dont really understand how providers selling to other providers works)
    you mention it was for legal reasons you cant turn them back on, i can assure you on my server there was nothing illegal just a ton of work, and the only in existance src code of a project of mine (ironicly stored on the vps to keep it safe lol)

• namhuynamhuy Member

remember to backup your backup... at this point nothing you can do, they are gone for good

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2014

D_Eastwick said: Im trying to understand why you would suspend the servers of already paid customers (and ill be honest i dont really understand how providers selling to other providers works) you mention it was for legal reasons you cant turn them back on

You're not his customer, Ian (TacticalVPS) was. He's the one who needs to pay bills to his service suppliers too.
    You're in this case third party (customer by Ian not by him) that's why he's saying that he can't turn server back on because legal reasons. He doesn't know who you are and doesn't have any business relationship with you directly. He was just service supplier for Ian (TacticalVPS).

• Can we close this. He's gone, his business is dead. The dog ate his homework, whatever. Based on a search of public records, no woman with that last name died, and if she had, any real businessman would have come online and explained the situation to his customers. If you have a lot of money go to his upstream provider with a court order to release the data. This entire thread is like 2 week old fish left in the sun to rot.

• @namhuy said:
    remember to backup your backup... at this point nothing you can do, they are gone for good

yeah, the shame is..that was the backup, more recent code i use github if its opensource and bitbucket if closed source so i know its safe, but back then i knew no different.

still i only wanted it to see how i had coded certain parts and fix a writters block im having nothing too major

@Spirit
    yeah i see what your saying, i just figured if we paid Ian upfront he would of paid the provider upfront. Though for the doesnt know who i am bit thats not all that relevent, if the server is paid up all they would need do is turn it on, only those with access to the server (the user himself) would be able to access it, now if i was saying they should turn over the files to us, then you would be quite right (same as if i was saying they should reset the password etc)

Guess part of what im trying to work out is if he paid the host monthly but was paid in full for a year by his customers that shows he may never of intended to honour the year (im sure the host would of given him a cheaper rate to pay in advance a year, and that would of upped his profits) ...but i dont know the industry maybe its common practice to charge monthly when re-selling.

Just to state for the record as text is a hard way to express intent/emotion/etc im not asking them to turn on the servers or having a go at them just trying to be better informed.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

D_Eastwick said: Guess part of what im trying to work out is if he paid the host monthly

If he paid the bills yearly (something that is extremely unusual to vps providers, especially those that they don't own the hardware but just rent it from their upstream provider or are just resellers), then, the servers would have been stay online till something go wrong (hardware failure, hacked node etc.). Even if he did pay yearly, the second scenario (failure) is almost sure that could be happen because servers do not work without maintenance, a hard job that is daily (besides, this is the key for a good vps provider, to know how to maintain his servers and monitoring them 24/7).

So, you have lost their data, don't look back and make sure that you always keep backups, not only in one place for critical jobs and if it needed, not only latest one but as many as you may need as archives. And you have also to look frequently that the backups are there and working, or else, you can be stuck with a fresh backup that is corrupted.

• @D_Eastwick

No comment on how he pays, but servers were suspended and taken offline because they needed to be (not because he disappeared).

We sell dedicated servers AND VPS and he purchased dedicated servers from us.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

concerto49 said: but servers were suspended and taken offline because they needed to be

Just out of curiosity, did he ask you to put servers on line or just the invoiced got due? And did he say anything about his disappearing?

• jvnadr said: Just out of curiosity, did he ask you to put servers on line or just the invoiced got due? And did he say anything about his disappearing?

No comment. Customer privacy.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • wychwych Member

That happens for most EU searches at the moment buddy, even when results have not been removed.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish