Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stallion 2 progress (with screenshots!) - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stallion 2 progress (with screenshots!)

Comments

• IvanIvan Member
    edited April 2013

@Francisco said: Konami code the page.

I knew it was that. I actually had the thought it might be that but I forgotten how the code went, so I was too lazy to try it.

• @Francisco I love the layout and the tabbed page, it's a real ease of use concept for the end user.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vRozenSch00n said: @Francisco I love the layout and the tabbed page, it's a real ease of use concept for the end user.

Perfect :)

I see someone logged a request to change how the reinstall page interacts so i'll likely do that today.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: I see someone logged a request to change how the reinstall page interacts so i'll likely do that today.

Francisco

i hope that's about the reinstall button =D

@Feefty said: i hope that's about the reinstall button =D

Right :)

Just trying to think it all through. I can't think of any real way short of having each row be its own form. I could easily do it with javascript but I would like the pages to be able to fall back.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: You're right.

Told you. Btw, do you sleep? :o

• @Francisco said: Right :)

Just trying to think it all through. I can't think of any real way short of having each row be its own form. I could easily do it with javascript but I would like the pages to be able to fall back.

Francisco

i think you can use the button with a value on it so you will only need to use 1 form.
    <form> <button name="os" value="ubuntu">Ubuntu</button> <button name="os" value="centos">CentOS</button> ... </form>
    am i right?

edited April 2013

Most likely, I dislike <button> tags though :)

I'll fiddle with it in a few minutes as well as go through the bug reports from the night. I got a lot of new stuff to add since Anthony has finally audited the panel too.

Francisco

All touched up.

Thanks to everyone that has taken part. All feedback is appreciated! I'll hand out some admin accounts later on to the few people that messaged me over the weekend.

Francisco

• I use MongoDB with Codeigniter ... super easy.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

add to CSS:
    overflow-y: scroll;
    Otherwise awesome so far :)

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco count me in on your next set of admin panel beta testers. At the time I didn't think I had the time to give it the in depth inspection that would give useful information. :)

@ryanarp said: @Francisco count me in on your next set of admin panel beta testers. At the time I didn't think I had the time to give it the in depth inspection that would give useful information. :)

Francisco

• fislefisle Member

What a glorious looking panel. I just might have to extend my yearly VPS with you when it is about to expire just to see this in action. Good work.

@fisle said: What a glorious looking panel. I just might have to extend my yearly VPS with you when it is about to expire just to see this in action. Good work.

Plenty of improvements on the way around our parts, not just the panel ;)

Francisco

• @Franciso will there be any backup feature added to stallion 2 on the frontend?

@redjersey said: @Franciso will there be any backup feature added to stallion 2 on the frontend?

Well, we'll integrate our backup space into the panel in some form but i've had more than a few people request being able to make snapshots of vm's so they can reinstall via it on any OVZ VM in their account.

If you mean like, incrimental backups, etc? That won't come till later in the year after I buff up LV's I/O a lot. Anthony & I will both take a trip to Vegas in the summer/September to upgrade our SSD caches most likely as the current setups aren't able to keep up during heavy reads MB/sec wise.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

I think the last time I logged into my contol panel at buyvm was last year so all this is wasted on me :P

• @W1V_Lee said: I think the last time I logged into my contol panel at buyvm was last year so all this is wasted on me :P

Good thing you aren't their only customer :P

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2013

@mojeda said: Good thing you aren't their only customer :P

What, are you saying I am not. pffft, everyone on this site are just liars..

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited April 2013

@Francisco Is there any moment after you hit 'Reinstall' where you're prompted to either continue or cancel it after a warning? If not, it'd probably be a good idea :P Also, how about needing to enter in something specific to your server (eg. host name in Stallion) to confirm that the correct server is being reinstalled?

Just an idea. Could be a good one, or a useless one - I'm not exactly sure.

• @BK_ I like this idea., especially with having to enter the hostname as a confirmation. I once accidentally wiped the wrong server in Stallion.

@BK_ said: @Francisco Is there any moment after you hit 'Reinstall' where you're prompted to either continue or cancel it after a warning? If not, it'd probably be a good idea :P Also, how about needing to enter in something specific to your server (eg. host name in Stallion) to confirm that the correct server is being reinstalled?

People are lazy with hostnames so i'd them type the main IP or something :)

A popup is for sure on my buglist. Not only will it require a confirmation, it'll also require that you provide a fresh root password. Currently stallion, like solus, stores a root passsword for ease of reinstalls but I've always disliked this a lot.

What this means is that if there was ever a security breach, we wouldn't be chicagovps'd.

Two step authentication is also a much requested thing. I'll likely roll it through google authenticator or something but that will be a post production feature.

Francisco

• BK_BK_ Member

@Francisco said: People are lazy with hostnames so i'd them type the main IP or something :)

In all honesty, typing the IP was also an alternative I had. Even just the last octet.

A popup is for sure on my buglist. Not only will it require a confirmation, it'll also require that you provide a fresh root password. Currently stallion, like solus, stores a root passsword for ease of reinstalls but I've always disliked this a lot.

What this means is that if there was ever a security breach, we wouldn't be chicagovps'd.

That would be awesome. Stored, unhashed passwords = grr.

Two step authentication is also a much requested thing. I'll likely roll it through google authenticator or something but that will be a post production feature.

That'd be awesome as well. Text message notifications on certain events? I find login notifications in my email inbox to be irritating. Sure, they're important, but they often get neglected. A text message simply saying Login to [username] by [ip] at [time/date] would be awesome. Might be overkill/not needed, but eh, now's the time to throw these ideas out there.

--

Also, how about a yellow warning box instead of a red exclamation mark for non-critical events? I see an influx of red on the log, and it seems anything that would be considered important would get lost among the rest.

Looks great so far though!

The red is because the job was marked as failed. :)

I could start sorting what is and isn't 'critical' but what I feel isn't critical may not hold true for someone else.

For now i'm playing it safe with the current completed/failed/running/queued status' w/ colouring.

Francisco

• BK_BK_ Member

@Francisco said: The red is because the job was marked as failed. :)

Derp. Disregard that then.

edited April 2013

@BK_ said: Derp. Disregard that then.

Yep. Just remember, any job that requires communicating with a node at this point will automatically mark itself as failed by the queuerunner since i've not expanded either backend class.

Francisco

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited April 2013

@Francisco said: i've not expanded either backend class

Of course -.- I blame Monday mornings Tuesday evenings.

• bluebitbluebit Member

@Francisco said: Two step authentication is also a much requested thing. I'll likely roll it through google authenticator or something but that will be a post production feature.

+1 for Google Authenticator

Been a bit of a slow week but finally knocked out the account logs part. It's now listed under the profile menu as 'account activity'. I think I may have gone a little overboard on the amount of data presented to the user, but given we're replacing WHMCS that's OK.

http://i.imgur.com/DoDKgLzh.png

The big thing that was sucking up my time earlier this week and a bit of last week was getting the 'admin' controls for each virtual server all tied together:

http://i.imgur.com/oJ2cW60h.png

You can pick IP's from each category and a single save pushes all of it. I won't bother 'picking out' v6's and just have a simple 'enter the amount you want' field. If users want a specific IP, they can use the /64 system.

Francisco