Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stallion 2 progress (with screenshots!) - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stallion 2 progress (with screenshots!)

Comments

• lbftlbft Member

@Francisco said: Windows will be harder since I can't 'template' it due to missing ATTR data if we ripped the files from NTFS. We'll likely have to do something lame like a dd image that we grow :(

If you're going the disk image route, you might find ntfsclone to be useful. Restoring from an lzo-compressed "special image format" file will go much faster than a plain old dd.

• @Francisco said: Sure for the most part.

it's one of the things i love about buyvm, the tons of template choices =)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lbft said: If you're going the disk image route, you might find ntfsclone to be useful. Restoring from an lzo-compressed "special image format" file will go much faster than a plain old dd.

I'd have to do something small then grow the partition, It's sloppy all around. I haven't thought about Windows templates at all to be honest since we only have 2 internal Windows nodes in the whole company.

I'll likely put out a request for bug testers this week to start fiddling with the backend controls i've written so far. I've been adding helpful alerts/blurbs on pages with things that are knowingly missing.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: I'd likely roll in private /112's per user per location afterwards

I haven't decided fully yet but it made the most sense.

Sadly this won't be much helpful for "too many connections globaly" clientele from same /64 and it will not make much difference from individual /128 IPs. Are you limited with one /64 or..?

@Spirit said: Are you limited with one /64 or..?

I got a /32 from ARIN.

I could likely do a /64 without much issue. Again, I've not thought about it much since it's not a very high placed thing.

Francisco

• Sure.

Been quiet the past few days.

I decided to take the weekend off from development but I think we're at the point of being ready to test some of the backend controls.

If you're interested in helping testing/reporting bugs/etc, just drop me a PM on here with a username/password as well as what IP you'll be connecting from.

I'm starting frontend pages and should have the 'reinstall' page done tonight.

Francisco

Thanks for those that have shown interest in helping beta test.

I got a few commits I want to get in place before I push out the test links.

Thanks again, it means a lot :)

Francisco

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Me btw

I got 4 people lined up already but you're welcome to also request.

I'm ideally looking for 5 total.

• @Francisco said: I'm ideally looking for 5 total.

I am willing to hop on-board.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I'll help.

@mnpeep said: I am willing to hop on-board.

@RobertClarke said: I'll help.

Cool :) I'll add you on the list.

As mentioned, worked on some frontend work today:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/906983_10151556878213571_819759889_o.jpg

• That minimal template. :p

• I like franciscos move to create a custom made CP. But I cant understand why it has to look like solusvm yet again. I know being eye candy doesnt mean its going to be useful. But having a unique looking CP helps to make the brand name. Ex- Linode manager

• Looks different than solusvm to me?

• marcmmarcm Member

@Francisco - I am very interested in Stallion 2 as well. I'd like to take a stab at customizing the interface and contribute the changes back to you. I am currently working on several WP themes and WHMCS themes.

Not sure what page looks like Solis?

We are both using bootstrap so some parts I haven't changed.

Lots of the base bootstrap is different though.

I'm not accepting code commits from anyone at this time. At a later time the frontend will need translating though.

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Francisco said: Not sure what page looks like Solis?

How do you not see it? It has text boxes, buttons, and links. It's exactly like SolusVM.

• @jarland said: How do you not see it? It has text boxes, buttons, and links. It's exactly like SolusVM.

Just like if a phone has rounded corners, rectangular shape it must be an iPhone.

• marcmmarcm Member

@Francisco - What tools are you using to manage the source code?

Just svn since its just me for now.

When Aldryic gets in there I'll probably get a private github.

Francisco

• marcmmarcm Member

@Francisco Give Atlasian or at the very least BitBucket (bitbucket.org) a try.

@marcm said: @Francisco Give Atlasian or at the very least BitBucket (bitbucket.org) a try.

It's not really on my list of concerns right now :) When we start hiring out coders or things like that I'll look into a proper repos. For now the SVN is just there incase I decide to work on my laptop instead.

Francisco

• marcmmarcm Member

@Francisco - So basically Stallion 2 uses libvirt as the backend? Is there also Xen support / will it be implemented? You could shape this into a nice commercial product and extend its functionality. The downside is that you would loose your edge if you make it available as a commercial product. Then again it might make you millions, you just never know :D

• CoreyCorey Member

@marcm said: @Francisco Give Atlasian or at the very least BitBucket (bitbucket.org) a try.

+1 for atlassian and bitbucket.

@marcm said: So basically Stallion 2 uses libvirt as the backend?

For the KVM side, sure.

@marcm said: Is there also Xen support

Libvirt supports it but I'm not integrating XEN support into Stallion. I don't like XEN so I see no reason to code modules for it. We have no interest in offering XEN either.

@marcm said: You could shape this into a nice commercial product and extend its functionality. The downside is that you would loose your edge if you make it available as a commercial product.

Right :) While VPS.NET does something similar with onapp, they also encode the source and keep it quite a few revisions behind vps.net, if not leave features out.

If I ever marketed stallion I would want the source entirely open so purchasing parties can expand it themselves. I wouldn't want to be tied down to feature requests left/right since I would have to then hire on a full time dev team, etc.

Being a full time developer is tiresome. I did it in a past life for many moons and it was a real drag.

Francisco

• @Corey said: +1 for atlassian and bitbucket.

Yes, it's great. We use it with JIRA.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

is it gonna be encoded with php lock it? xD

@netomx said: is it gonna be encoded with php lock it? xD

On our production servers? Don't see why we would.

I wouldn't want to sell encoded software, ever.

Francisco