Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed with LEB/LET. - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disappointed with LEB/LET.

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@souen said:
    A few thoughts, fwiw.

Why would you allow the author of the post to interview an Administrator here for the first review after the changes there?

Practically speaking, it probably made sense to interview an administrator as a starting point, first being someone the author already knew. Asking questions requires a bit of research (which in turn takes time), so if the author is already familiar with the person and his company, he can ask more relevant questions.

Part of the issue is that the administrator status wasn't mentioned in the article. New readers may not realise he is forum staff and regular readers might see it as being intentionally hidden for negative reasons, e.g. to advertise for its own affiliated companies/partners. Such articles should carry a disclaimer clarifying any relationship that the author or person being interviewed may have with the site.

You could have done it a month later at least? And give priority to other providers that have been advertising here for a long time?

That's another option, interviewing someone with no affiliation. Still, with six degrees of separation someone will still manage to draw links between the interviewee and the site. My preference is to see new up-and-coming providers as well as the providers that have advertised here for a long time, so the order doesn't matter as long the lineup is varied. Varied in terms of product type, country where they operate, etc. Different circumstances can lead to informative stories, such as technical/legal/cultural differences operating/colo in different locations.

Overall the article starts on good footing, with general questions rephrased with the host in mind, e.g. "[company] was set up in [year]", expansion plans to regions outside of [company's current locations]. I think the interview could be fleshed out more, including some of the responses that were too short. Maybe the interviewer could guide the conversation in more detail next time. Example 1: in the reply mentioning the Ashburn location, why did they start out with those 2 particular US locations? What did the company do differently than the past and how have they applied the lessons learned to rolling out the upcoming locations? Example 2: how did the founders meet? (On LET, over a few beers, describe the scene?) Besides working different shifts, how do the partners' background and skills complement each other?

From reading an article, did the readers …

• get to know the personality leading the company a little more?
    • share a chuckle, relate to the experiences recounted in the interview?
    • learn something interesting about the company, the industry at large, etc.?

If none of the above applies, what do you want to convey to your readers?

There's room for improvement, but credit due for a different article feature, first attempts are often not as polished as desired. The question is not about defending the establishment, but to look at ways to make the articles better and reflect more of what people (factoring different audience subgroups) might want to read.

Looking forward to the next one.

Thank you for this constructive comment. You do have some points I agree with. Let's see how it goes!

Cheers

Thanked by 1souen
  • @jarland said:

AlyssaD said: I don't see it offering anything of value anymore

I disagree. I think you like saying that, I think you like knowing that it's been said. Yet, you swore you would never return and yet here you are. I think that speaks more than your actual words.

I would like saying this is a valuable place, and that I am glad I am apart of it... but I am not. I returned due to a few posts that were made known to me... but this shitty forum you run won't reset my password due to your upper managements fucked up network being blocked everywhere. If maybe @jbiloh would get off his fat and retarded ass to do something positive with colocrossing then maybe, and I mean maybe this place will be of use. I for one think he is only functional as a salesman.

I have had to deal with multiple colocrossing fiascos, all of which have left me with loosing money, costing me time, wasting my time, and finally testing my patience.

Don't make me even bring up the fact of GVH Johnny, which I fought for months to get removed from this forum, and asked the administration to remove him. There is more to that fucked up story...

There is also CVPS, which was held up on this forum via Colocrossing interventions.

So in all, this community is an absolute piece of shit. I wish I was never, and I mean never introduced to it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2016

AlyssaD said: but this shitty forum you run won't reset my password due to your upper managements fucked up network being blocked everywhere

No that's not what happened. You changed your email address to one that doesn't exist so that you locked yourself out. Can't send a password reset to [email protected].

AlyssaD said: So in all, this community is an absolute piece of shit

You know where the door is, obviously, you keep walking in it.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @AlyssaD said:

@jarland said:

I disagree. I think you like saying that, I think you like knowing that it's been said. Yet, you swore you would never return and yet here you are. I think that speaks more than your actual words.

I would like saying this is a valuable place, and that I am glad I am apart of it... but I am not. I returned due to a few posts that were made known to me... but this shitty forum you run won't reset my password due to your upper managements fucked up network being blocked everywhere. If maybe @jbiloh would get off his fat and retarded ass to do something positive with colocrossing then maybe, and I mean maybe this place will be of use. I for one think he is only functional as a salesman.

I have had to deal with multiple colocrossing fiascos, all of which have left me with loosing money, costing me time, wasting my time, and finally testing my patience.

Don't make me even bring up the fact of GVH Johnny, which I fought for months to get removed from this forum, and asked the administration to remove him. There is more to that fucked up story...

There is also CVPS, which was held up on this forum via Colocrossing interventions.

So in all, this community is an absolute piece of shit. I wish I was never, and I mean never introduced to it.

Who are you again?

• @SysAdmin said:

@AlyssaD said:

@jarland said:

Who are you again?

Chris, I am one of your former customers that you lied to and made my information public multiple times due to you inadequate security and #winning attitude.

• LeeLee Veteran

SysAdmin said: Who are you again?

Funny, on Skype earlier someone said exactly that about you.

• I'm not Chris, who are you anyway?

• @jarland said:

AlyssaD said: but this shitty forum you run won't reset my password due to your upper managements fucked up network being blocked everywhere

No that's not what happened. You changed your email address to one that doesn't exist so that you locked yourself out. Can't send a password reset to [email protected].

AlyssaD said: So in all, this community is an absolute piece of shit

You know where the door is, obviously, you keep walking in it.

You actually reset it... and when you locked my account I couldn't make changes any further and it was forced to my email address. Thus my assumption that it was still that way.

• @SysAdmin said:
    I'm not Chris, who are you anyway?

^ That is me, aren't I cute.

edited August 2016

AlyssaD said: You actually reset it

Oh yeah that's right, you changed it to my email address so I did that. I think that's right. Still, you locked yourself out :)

• @jarland said:

AlyssaD said: You actually reset it

Oh yeah that's right, you changed it to my email address so I did that. I think that's right. Still, you locked yourself out :)

Yes I did reset it to your email address. You promptly changed it back to mine, and then did your whole thing with the clown avatar. In the process you locked my account and I couldn't make further changes which means from what I saw... it still had my email address.

AlyssaD said: Yes I did reset it to your email address. You promptly changed it back to mine, and then did your whole thing with the clown avatar. In the process you locked my account and I couldn't make further changes which means from what I saw... it still had my email address.

Cool well do you need help leaving again or do you want your old account back?

• @jarland said:

AlyssaD said: Yes I did reset it to your email address. You promptly changed it back to mine, and then did your whole thing with the clown avatar. In the process you locked my account and I couldn't make further changes which means from what I saw... it still had my email address.

Cool well do you need help leaving again or do you want your old account back?

If you are threatening to ban me go for it. If you are asking if I want my email address reset, I don't care.

AlyssaD said: If you are threatening to ban me go for it.

No no not at all, I just assumed you might require some assistance in leaving considering how much you hate this place. I could only assume you had wandered in and accidentally locked yourself in.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • @SysAdmin said:
    @souen do you want to write for LEB? I'd welcome some of your contributions too.

Thanks for the invite — maybe not at the moment, possibly later. Someday I should probably put my own suggestions to practice, though I'm still very much a newcomer to the field (despite having written the occasional tutorial on other subjects.)

However, I'd happy to review/edit the next few articles, if it would help to have a second perspective and get things rolling?

• DeanDean Member

The thing I'm disappointed with is that shit-throwing is still going on... it really makes me want to leave. I don't come here to read drama FFS.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@DeanKamitsis said:
    The thing I'm disappointed with is that shit-throwing is still going on... it really makes me want to leave. I don't come here to read drama FFS.

I believe that once I took the role of admin I stopped being the instigator of the drama. There was a void left, and others assumed that it needed to be filled.

Thanked by 3MikePT Dean ihatetonyy

@DeanKamitsis said:

You know that then people create new drama. Not only El Cheapo.

I should be paid for getting new drama here.

:p

• @souen said:

@SysAdmin said:
    @souen do you want to write for LEB? I'd welcome some of your contributions too.

Thanks for the invite — maybe not at the moment, possibly later. Someday I should probably put my own suggestions to practice, though I'm still very much a newcomer to the field (despite having written the occasional tutorial on other subjects.)

However, I'd happy to review/edit the next few articles, if it would help to have a second perspective and get things rolling?

Thanks for the offer to help, I need all I can get. I really need content more then I need editing though. If you have time I'd be happy to talk to you about it via IRC or skype or email.

• @vedran said:
    But this drama is burning out fast, it needs more fuel ...

Here you go...

• @MrGeneral said:

@DeanKamitsis said:

$10? :) (still getting used to the new pricing, we need a new "what you can get for exactly $[limit]" thread)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@SysAdmin said:

@souen said:

@SysAdmin said:

Thanks for the offer to help, I need all I can get. I really need content more then I need editing though. If you have time I'd be happy to talk to you about it via IRC or skype or email.

Was my submission not good enough :(

• SysAdmin said: I really need content more then I need editing though.

If you're hard up for content, I can submit a piece on the importance of picking a VPS, dedicated, or colocation provider that offers IPv6, maybe with a follow-up piece on cable management best practices?

Why Buffalo's widely known as one of the best spots to colo on the East Coast, and which providers offer services there? Comparison shopping on car wraps?

My PM box is always open.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

SysAdmin said: I really need content more then I need editing though.

Well, I did offer. I think you'll find I'm one of LET's more eloquent word-smiths.

Thanked by 4Lee souen vimalware hawc
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Nekki said: Well, I did offer. I think you'll find I'm one of LET's more eloquent word-smiths.

I have an idea: "20 Reasons Why All Your VPS Providers Are Cunts"

Thanked by 2Nekki vimalware
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

hawc said: I have an idea: "20 Reasons Why All Your VPS Providers Are Cunts"

Want to collaborate on that one?

• LeeLee Veteran

Well I managed to come up with 6 right away so 20 wont be hard.

Thanked by 1Nekki

@souen said:

@MrGeneral said:

@DeanKamitsis said:

$10? :) (still getting used to the new pricing, we need a new "what you can get for exactly $[limit]" thread)

Yep! It would be great. For each thread tho. I'd create 50 per day :p

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@Nekki said:

hawc said: I have an idea: "20 Reasons Why All Your VPS Providers Are Cunts"

Want to collaborate on that one?

Why the hell not.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Lee said: Well I managed to come up with 6 right away so 20 wont be hard.

Maybe I'll leave that to you then. I'll get to work on 'Paypal Chargebacks: Why using them is like raping your Grandma in the ass, and why sometimes, that's OK!'

Thanked by 3Zen Lee mpkossen