Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed with LEB/LET. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disappointed with LEB/LET.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@raza19 said:
    Frankly I like the changes being made to the LECommunity but I am concerned that this might turn into an oligarchy. I like the fact that stricter requirements have been set for certain badges but I am alarmed to see special badges being given on the whim e.g. @Francisco being tagged as Top Provider, I don't dispute at all BuyVM's credibility, they are among the best in my opinion but who gets to designate someone as the top provider? Is it something I have missed on the forums or is it based on the quarterly poll ? I asked @jarland about it in a thread some while back but got no response.

That was based on the top provider poll. Members voted on that and we wanted to try something new with the results.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @SpicyPepper said:
    I don't think ex-providers/active providers should be able to be an administrator here on LET/LEB. @Ishaq is a perfect example of that.

We shouldn't need a rule for that. It's all common sense, and @Ishaq should have retracted himself when he decided to open a company; it's a pretty obvious conflict of interests. LET's owned by CC though, which itself is another conflict. We just have to live with it.

• @jarland said:
    That was based on the top provider poll. Members voted on that and we wanted to try something new with the results.

Then by all means, you have my vote of confidence in all the changes :) apologies for the confusion .

Thanked by 2jar MikePT
  • jarland said: That was based on the top provider poll. Members voted on that and we wanted to try something new with the results.

I see no issue with that either - The title is deserved anyway if they won the poll or (by the olympia definition - 1st to 3rd, else entire) are in it, so it's just fair.

Thanked by 3jar MikePT Mathias
    edited August 2016

@SpicyPepper said:
    I don't think ex-providers/active providers should be able to be an administrator here on LET/LEB. @Ishaq is a perfect example of that.

It's important to note that the leadership does not consist solely of service providers, but even of community members who have specifically spoken up against biases, people with great judgement that are respected community members. Look at Amitz and Raindog. I ask nothing of them but that they do what they think is right, at their convenience. I don't understand why that is easily overlooked or dismissed. To me, it's huge. They are incredible people and I want nothing more than to stand out of their way and let them do good here.

EDIT: It's sad because right after I post this @Ishaq decided to "match" my IP with my "other" accounts (in which I have no affiliation with). This forum is totally biased and unfair.

Why is that sad, exactly? Does it bother you for people to know that you have three accounts? If so, I would consider you to be someone interested in deceiving LET members, which is precisely why I started linking accounts: To make it hard for people to do that. Because they were doing it in droves. Of course, if they're not your accounts, we can talk about it. That's why I started noting "IP match" instead of "other account."

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I never considered LET a fair place to begin with. This place reeks as much as WHT if not more. I don't think any other webhosting forum or community is really fair.

Besides, nothing is fair in life. Everyone want advantages and I can't blame them.

@deank said:
    I never considered LET a fair place to begin with. This place reeks as much as WHT if not more. I don't think any other webhosting forum or community is really fair.

Besides, nothing is fair in life. Everyone want advantages and I can't blame them.

Admittedly though you've only been here since April, as far as I know. As a newcomer though, do you have any advice or suggestions on what I can do to increase fairness?

Thanked by 1Lee
  • vimalware said: You can always vote with your wallet.

That's what corporations do.

No, that's what people do. Corporations are more straight and do it like me: spend money at their direct competition, promote their competition or invest (in whatever way) into companies moving away from them to provide an incentive for what you want. Bribing officials is illegal, bribing the owner/boss of a company is not a bribe but simply business (we just leave out the SEC rules here, not like anyone here is public traded, that would require in investors interest and some other rules).

If i offer the same price as CC somewhere or additional hardware/services to a provider for a few % of their company, them moving away and still make no loss or some profit on it (either on the server(s) or by the company, direct or calculated against interest collected) there is pure damage (as in customer loss and possible bad promo) for the target but no loss for anyone else.

Just not ordering is so 1999, nowadays you just need to extend your shit, the law is the limit and that goes very, very far before something is slander (especially in the US, and even more so if you manage to SOMEHOW bring anything religious in it, no one wants to touch that, even more so if you have money).

• LeeLee Veteran

jarland said: Why is that sad, exactly?

Even if it is true have the common sense to step away whilst this debate is going on instead of lurking and checking IP addresses. It just looks like a mod playing games even if it's not.

To be honest the team you have is great aside from Ishaq, he is like 'that' guy in the group that just does not fit in. Tries to tell a joke but nobody likes it then goes away to find out how to get back at you for not laughing.

Perception, that's mine, don't have any issues with him.

Thanked by 2MikePT switsys

@jarland said:
    Admittedly though you've only been here since April, as far as I know. As a newcomer though, do you have any advice or suggestions on what I can do to increase fairness?

I was here for longer than that. I just tend to be a lurker. Registered an account only to troll around.

As long as it's run by humans, it can't really be fair. It is not helped by a human tendency to complain. But the impression LET has on surface is its blatant bias. WHT hides its bias well for newcomers for a while but that place is just as biased.

WHT and LET have their own flavors. Nothing to improve or change. Let it be.

Thanked by 2jar chorong

@deank said:

@jarland said:

I was here for longer than that. I just tend to be a lurker. Registered an account only to troll around.

As long as it's run by humans, it can't really be fair. It is not helped by a human tendency to complain. But the impression LET has on surface is its blatant bias. WHT hides its bias well for newcomers for a while but that place is just as biased.

WHT and LET have their own flavors. Nothing to improve or change. Let it be.

Well if you think of any suggestions I do welcome them. You're right, bias cannot be removed. The idea that human nature can be removed from human actions would be a bit naive. Instead, my focus has always been to use human nature to achieve the results. For example, put people in leadership roles who have different biases to ensure a proper amount of internal conflict.

@jarland said:
    Well if you think of any suggestions I do welcome them. You're right, bias cannot be removed. The idea that human nature can be removed from human actions would be a bit naive. Instead, my focus has always been to use human nature to achieve the results. For example, put people in leadership roles who have different biases to ensure a proper amount of internal conflict.

Finding the right people for the right position is probably the hardest thing in life.
    Bias is generally created by conflicts of interest. If so, then perhaps those in charge (mods and such) should be those that have no conflict of interest, meaning anyone who is a part of a provier of any sort should be retained form taking a higher role. However, in doing so, you kind of remove merit of giving them such roles. Give or take so to speak. If one's gonna devote some of his time into policing this hellhole, he's gotta get something in return.

But then really, if anyone wants to pick a fight, they can. I do feel MrGeneral has a point although I feel he is overreacting. But the fact that someone on a higher positio on LET is hooked up in this affair is the mark of "blatant bias".

Whether that's true or not, for visitors, I don't think it matters.

Thanked by 1jar
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

TheLinuxBug said: If you want to be disgusted by something, it should be the state of this forum and what it stands for now, not a single 'biased' interview which by now should be something that is expected from ColoCrossing and its affiliates. This isn't the first time and I am sure it will not be the last.

IMHO, if you want to do it right, you should start from the very beginning, and this wasn't a good beginning IMHO. Simple as that.

@ihatetonyy said:
    @MrGeneral, I have respect for you -- but I have to say your post left me considering some Excedrin.

Where I suspect we could agree is that the article should carry a disclaimer that @Ishaq is an admin, perhaps also stating that the writer chose the subject without interference from anyone else.

After that: when would it be acceptable to throw his company in the mix? After profiling BuyVM, RamNode, SecureDragon, and every other established company?

Is a short length of operations an instant disqualifier, putting new entrants at a disadvantage and biasing these features toward established companies that won't need the boost as much?

We all have a pretty good idea of the basic ops at BuyVM and RamNode and the other established companies that participate in the community because they've been here ages.

And -- preferring advertisers in doing these features? It's not like LEB post-LowEndAdmin has ever been truly free of ad/editorial interference, but that's literally suggesting the features should favor those who throw more money at ColoCrossing. That kind of scheme would REALLY get the pitchfork brigade out in full force.

Plus: is first post really an accomplishment? Maybe in a comment section where it stays at the top. But by the next few posts, this company's gonna be at the bottom of the category listing, and the post will be irrelevant.

Hi Tony,

That is not the issue.
    The issue, in my point of view, is that the companies interviewed should have been in the Market for a while. This is a new company we're talking about, that coincidently belongs to an Administrator here. We all know it's an advantage.

• JordanJordan Member
    edited August 2016

@Lee said:

jarland said: Why is that sad, exactly?

Even if it is true have the common sense to step away whilst this debate is going on instead of lurking and checking IP addresses. It just looks like a mod playing games even if it's not.

To be honest the team you have is great aside from Ishaq, he is like 'that' guy in the group that just does not fit in. Tries to tell a joke but nobody likes it then goes away to find out how to get back at you for not laughing.

Perception, that's mine, don't have any issues with him.

Your perception is that he doesn't fit in the group. So how can you stand back and say you don't have issues with him? Stop making it personal. Completely irrelevant comment.

It started with everyone saying @Ishaq should not be removed. Now you've clearly all changed your minds.

@Lee said:

ihatetonyy said: We all have a pretty good idea of the basic ops at BuyVM and RamNode and the other established companies that participate in the community because they've been here ages.

the interview could be tailored to getting them to talk about their successes, failures, how other hosts can learn from them, after all they have the experience. So much to gleen from those hosts that have pretty much seen it all.

But then you need to know what to ask and how to make it useful, like I said before the 'interview' with Budgetnode was just a waste of virtual paper, my kids cold have done it better. Do it properly or not at all.

I agree with you, 100%.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

deank said: Registered an account only to troll around.

You are the salt of LET.

@timnboys said:

@MrGeneral said:

@daily said:

MrGeneral said: You, for instance, must be butthurt for losing your Provider title ;-)

He didn't, it was moved to his official biz account. @cubedata

Ahh so he even split the accounts. One for personal venting and the other one for the extreme plugin sales he gets... Reminds me of Mike from Licesecart, dunno why. :p

Thank you for letting me know though!

The first point of my comment is still valid :p

ah technically I don't have one for personal venting I hired a new guy at cubedata to handle PR/vps sales/support and I asked Ishaq if it made sense to allow him to use my personal account and share it with the new employee and he said it wasn't wise to share my personal account with him so he said to create another account official that he would move the provider tag to and both me & my new employee who now handles PR/vps sales/support can use it as well. because to be honest I thought sharing my personal account with the provider tag made sense Ishaq said it didn't and said he recommended me creating the cubedata account instead.

Fair enough, and understood, Tim.

@jarland said:
    I just want you guys to know that I appreciate the feedback about the community. I disagree with every assessment that this is no longer a community though. I've been given full authority to maintain this community, and I've in turn given full autonomy to some of our most dedicated community members to make decisions with and for the better of the community.

Following feedback from members I've even taken a step back and reduced my actions in favor of allowing those community members to be more involved, and I've taken less liberties to make changes without community involvement. If that isn't community driven, I don't know what is.

I feel like we're as alive as a community as we ever were. Times change and we may not all be as obsessed with 64MB VPS but, as a community, we have evolved with the landscape and we remain strong.

We're still a small community, we always have been. But we're still a strong voice in a market, an important structure that is in no way losing its ground. I want to grow faster, but we are actually growing lately.

We've had our fights, but I am not blaming you here, at all, jarland. I want you to know that.
    You were not part of this decision I think.

@Lee said:

Jordan said: Please do share what advantage you think an interview about BudgetNode gives ColoCrossing.

They albeit naively believe it will start to drive traffic back up. For you it's a free advert for no effort.

And the company is 2 months old. 2 damn months. We got companies here that have been advertising for years and trying to survive in the LET market. Those yes, would deserve to be interviewed in first place.

@raindog308 said:
    I think @MrGeneral has a fair point - at first blush, having the first interview conducted with a company in which a LET mod is involved screams conflict of interest...

However, knowing the personalities involved - and given that no one actually reads LEB any more, do they? - I think I will still be able to sleep at night. Though that might just be the whiskey.

Conflict of interest, for sure. Trying to burst sales for a 2 month company.

I do not have anything against the parties envolved. It's just that this very first interview, didn't occur as I expected to. Not at all.

@luissousa said:

@SpicyPepper said:

We shouldn't need a rule for that. It's all common sense, and @Ishaq should have retracted himself when he decided to open a company; it's a pretty obvious conflict of interests. LET's owned by CC though, which itself is another conflict. We just have to live with it.

Agreed.

But when I point that out, I get attacked by a lot of his friends.
    Just like a gang :P

Reminds me I should create a gang-meme :P

@deank said:

LET/LEB isn't like WHT, at all.

We got freedom of speech here and mods/admins won't ban you for a simple opinion/disagreement.

Here's my thread to prove that. Although, I'm a pretty old member. I've had my fights with the admins/mods yet, but that's why I like LET, we can share our opinions.

jarland said: For example, put people in leadership roles who have different biases to ensure a proper amount of internal conflict.

I want to make a drama joke here but there are so many possibilities that I've crashed.

Thanked by 1jar

Nekki said: if you don't think LET is a community then you don't know the meaning of the word.

If there was a goth or metal cover of "We Are Family" I would post it here.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

Jordan said: Your perception is that he doesn't fit in the group. So how can you stand back and say you don't have issues with him? Stop making it personal. Completely irrelevant comment.

Indeed, he does not fit within the more consistent personalities in the admin/moderator group. How does that infer I personally have issues with him?

I get you want to defend him but don't try to turn my comments around and use them for your own means, I will rip you a new asshole faster than you can spin up that next VPS.

Thanked by 3seriesn MikePT Darwin
  • JordanJordan Member
    edited August 2016

@Lee said:

Jordan said: Your perception is that he doesn't fit in the group. So how can you stand back and say you don't have issues with him? Stop making it personal. Completely irrelevant comment.

Indeed, he does not fit within the more consistent personalities in the admin/moderator group. How does that infer I personally have issues with him?

I get you want to defend him but don't try to turn my comments around and use them for your own means, I will rip you a new asshole faster than you can spin up that next VPS.

Talking about the way he tells jokes is quite clearly a personality clash - and nothing to do with his abilities as a moderator/admin.

Perhaps you should have come up with some better examples to support the claim he does not fit in with the group.

And don't make childish threats. You'll end up with egg on your face.

To be clear, I am absolutely thrilled that @Ishaq agreed to help here. He has been such an incredible help to me. He is a truly nice guy with a great head on his shoulders. We disagree often enough that it generates quality output, and that is important. He is not a "yes man" and he is a hard worker. That, I think, made him a great choice to help run the community.

I am very grateful for his hard work and time spent giving back to this community.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep

Slightly off topic but I was under the impression the admins/mods here were being paid by the owners here for their contribution/time (including write up to offer posts) so is there any reason said admins are asking for "donations" to contribute to their "time" for offer submissions.

Now this makes sense if they were not being paid already for doing exactly this. Now if did we make a donation I would be just slightly cheesed off said funds may have gone to start up host fund in direct competition.

I'd be also very interested to know how many hosts made such "donations" and were posted pretty fast vs others not "donating" and not having their offers made public on LEB.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@kt said:
    Slightly off topic but I was under the impression the admins/mods here were being paid by the owners here for their contribution/time (including write up to offer posts) so is there any reason said admins are asking for "donations" to contribute to their "time" for offer submissions.

No-one is being paid, no-one has since @mpkossen.

edited August 2016

@kt said:

Now this makes sense if they were not being paid already for doing exactly this. Now if did we make a donation I would be just slightly cheesed off said funds may have gone to start up host fund in direct competition.

I'd be also very interested to know how many hosts made such "donations" and were posted pretty fast vs others not "donating" and not having their offers made public on LEB.

This new offer to pay writers is just that, new. It has been previously explained that I accept no payment from the owners and neither did Ishaq (not sure if that may change for him). I have no interest in being paid for my involvement.

Thanked by 2kt Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

@Jordan said:
    Talking about the way he tells jokes is quite clearly a personality clash - and nothing to do with his abilities as a moderator/admin.

OK well that shows you are incapable of either reading, understanding or both.

Anyway, he is big enough to reply if his feelings have been hurt, I don't need to discuss it with his lap dog.

• @Lee said:

@Jordan said:

Anyway, he is big enough to reply if his feelings have been hurt, I don't need to discuss it with his lap dog.

It either shows that you're very unclear at voicing your points, or you think a sense of humour is a requirement to be a sufficient moderator around here.

He isn't going to reply, for good reasons, so I guess this is done.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Jordan said:

@Lee said:

@Jordan said:

It either shows that you're very unclear at voicing your points, or you think a sense of humour is a requirement to be a sufficient moderator around here.

I knew that, bye then pet.

• JordanJordan Member
    edited August 2016

@Lee said:

@Jordan said:

@Lee said:

@Jordan said:

I knew that, bye then pet.

I'm not posting on his behalf. I just think your comment was totally unreasonable and off-topic.

Later, hater.