Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed with LEB/LET. - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disappointed with LEB/LET.

Comments

• It is biased but you should all know by now that this community isn't a community anymore.. it left when Joel left, at least he followed in his predecessors footsteps and allowed it to run as normal.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@hawc said:
    Just want to make one thing clear...
    In no way did @Ishaq have control of the questions, all he did was answer them.

Now, I'll let you get back to having a cry over spilt milk.

Ahummm... But why would I be crying? It makes no sense. Im actually pretty well. I don't follow fan clubs. This is obvious, plain simple. If it were HVH, or any other forum, you guys would say it's biased and unfair for the others. In fact it's hilarious.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2016

@Jacob said:
    It is biased but you should all know by now that this community isn't a community anymore.. it left when Joel left, at least he followed in his predecessors footsteps and allowed it to run as normal.

Joel was the man. Period.

I'm at fault here because I state the obvious. Intentional or not, the newest company being interviewed to increase their exposure (obviously happens) which happens to belong to an Administrator from LET.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

So much fuss over nowt.

Some people are guilty of making some poor choices.

It's not a conspiracy, nor is this the start of LEBs darkest hour; that began when offers started being allowed on LET.

@Jacob - you're talking nonsense pal, if you don't think LET is a community then you don't know the meaning of the word.

• @Nekki said:
    @Jacob - you're talking nonsense pal, if you don't think LET is a community then you don't know the meaning of the word.

For sure it is a community, however it's lacking what was special about it.

Can anyone honestly say that they browse LET as much as they did up until around Joel's departure?

I don't know what the answer is but that's for @jarland to figure out I guess.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2016

@MrGeneral

Wait a second, this headline is because of some dumb interview, that disappoints you!? This is the reason for a topic like this!? Not the continued downfall of this community and the fact is is turning into a pit of advertisements and immature high school kids, yeah... okay, sure...

I mean, frankly, who cares what is posted on LEB anymore? One thing you can be sure of is it will always be in the best interest of ColoCrossing and its affiliates. If you forgot this somewhere along the way.. Wow. If this surprises you still, just WOW.

The most popular topics here now are those for dirt cheap dedicated servers, $1/month VPS servers for VPN or large storage VPS at $7 for your 'Linux ISOs'. I guarantee you when LEB/LET started that none of these things were even remotely considered to be part of the conversation. The conversation used to be what can be done with a low resource server; whats the best way to optimize your server, what loss leader specials are large companies running to advertise their products, etc. This is not particularly true anymore.

Could you not tell by the way things have been going over the recent past where things are headed? They are hiring inexperienced technical writers, raising limits, allowing shared hosting advertisements, anything they can do to attract people back to this place (anyone, not just the original target audience of VPS/Virtualization enthusiasts). They don't even hold true the same unspoken rules regarding the open discussion of copyright infringement on this board (hint: it previously wasn't tolerated, but now it seems like it is the subject of every other thread) and we are somehow surprised no larger companies want to advertise or converse here any longer?

To some extent, I understand it is the natural progression of things (especially being owned by a corporate entity), sure, but in other ways it is just trying to milk every last dime they can get out of this community before things start to dry up.

TL;DR:

If you want to be disgusted by something, it should be the state of this forum and what it stands for now, not a single 'biased' interview which by now should be something that is expected from ColoCrossing and its affiliates. This isn't the first time and I am sure it will not be the last.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jacob said:

For sure it is a community, however it's lacking what was special about it.

Can anyone honestly say that they browse LET as much as they did up until around Joel's departure?

I don't know what the answer is but that's for @jarland to figure out I guess.

Pretty sure lots of people come here more often than they did during Joel's reign of fail. I know I do.

Joel was CC's patsy, don't forget that. If you want to blame anyone for the state of LET, blame him.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

Nekki said: Joel was CC's patsy

This. He was only interesting in milking LET/LEB for everything he could get. Just as CC continue to do. They seem to be concerned about things here anyway as they are more visible than I have ever seen them.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • I have to admit, I thought the same thing when I saw it. Also, wasn't that Jordan kid banned?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@hostnoob said:
    I have to admit, I thought the same thing when I saw it. Also, wasn't that Jordan kid banned?

Different Jordan.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @Nekki said:

@hostnoob said:
    I have to admit, I thought the same thing when I saw it. Also, wasn't that Jordan kid banned?

Different Jordan.

Ah, good.

Apologies @Jordan

• @MrGeneral, I have respect for you -- but I have to say your post left me considering some Excedrin.

Where I suspect we could agree is that the article should carry a disclaimer that @Ishaq is an admin, perhaps also stating that the writer chose the subject without interference from anyone else.

After that: when would it be acceptable to throw his company in the mix? After profiling BuyVM, RamNode, SecureDragon, and every other established company?

Is a short length of operations an instant disqualifier, putting new entrants at a disadvantage and biasing these features toward established companies that won't need the boost as much?

We all have a pretty good idea of the basic ops at BuyVM and RamNode and the other established companies that participate in the community because they've been here ages.

And -- preferring advertisers in doing these features? It's not like LEB post-LowEndAdmin has ever been truly free of ad/editorial interference, but that's literally suggesting the features should favor those who throw more money at ColoCrossing. That kind of scheme would REALLY get the pitchfork brigade out in full force.

Plus: is first post really an accomplishment? Maybe in a comment section where it stays at the top. But by the next few posts, this company's gonna be at the bottom of the category listing, and the post will be irrelevant.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

ihatetonyy said: We all have a pretty good idea of the basic ops at BuyVM and RamNode and the other established companies that participate in the community because they've been here ages.

the interview could be tailored to getting them to talk about their successes, failures, how other hosts can learn from them, after all they have the experience. So much to gleen from those hosts that have pretty much seen it all.

But then you need to know what to ask and how to make it useful, like I said before the 'interview' with Budgetnode was just a waste of virtual paper, my kids cold have done it better. Do it properly or not at all.

Thanked by 1ihatetonyy
  • You can always vote with your wallet.

That's what corporations do.

Thanked by 3Zen Jacob MikePT
  • Nekki said: If you want to blame anyone for the state of LET, blame him.

I really miss the time when Scott owns everything. Oh well... good ol' days.

Thanked by 1Jacob
  • zedzed Member

@jarland said:

daily said: Do you know how many people exclusively look at LET or vice versa? I'd bet a lot.

It's almost an entirely different crowd.

I read both sites and my reaction to the "interview" was basically "lol, these guys, never change".

The joke (to me, not to you guys) is I wouldn't purchase service from BudgetNode simply because they're involved in administration of LET/LEB, anyway.
    I'm actually waiting patiently for Jarland to walk away from here so I can sign up for some of MXroute's great deals!

I just wouldn't put myself in that position.

@Nekki said:
    So much fuss over nowt.

Some people are guilty of making some poor choices.

It's not a conspiracy, nor is this the start of LEBs darkest hour; that began when offers started being allowed on LET.

Pains me to agree with Nekki, but yeah.
    It's hilarious that nobody involved in this realized it was a retarded thing to do, but ain't gonna pretend to be surprised.

Random guy perspective.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @MrGeneral said:

@daily said:

MrGeneral said: You, for instance, must be butthurt for losing your Provider title ;-)

He didn't, it was moved to his official biz account. @cubedata

Ahh so he even split the accounts. One for personal venting and the other one for the extreme plugin sales he gets... Reminds me of Mike from Licesecart, dunno why. :p

Thank you for letting me know though!

The first point of my comment is still valid :p

ah technically I don't have one for personal venting I hired a new guy at cubedata to handle PR/vps sales/support and I asked Ishaq if it made sense to allow him to use my personal account and share it with the new employee and he said it wasn't wise to share my personal account with him so he said to create another account official that he would move the provider tag to and both me & my new employee who now handles PR/vps sales/support can use it as well. because to be honest I thought sharing my personal account with the provider tag made sense Ishaq said it didn't and said he recommended me creating the cubedata account instead.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@zed said:
    The joke (to me, not to you guys) is I wouldn't purchase service from BudgetNode simply because they're involved in administration of LET/LEB, anyway.
    I'm actually waiting patiently for Jarland to walk away from here so I can sign up for some of MXroute's great deals!

What kind of weird self imposed politics does that stem from, I wonder?

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    I mean, frankly, who cares what is posted on LEB anymore? One thing you can be sure of is it will always be in the best interest of ColoCrossing and its affiliates. If you forgot this somewhere along the way.. Wow. If this surprises you still, just WOW.

Please do share what advantage you think an interview about BudgetNode gives ColoCrossing.

• @eLohkCalb said:

Just noticed your sign up date and I don't even recognise your name.. hm

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited August 2016

I just want you guys to know that I appreciate the feedback about the community. I disagree with every assessment that this is no longer a community though. I've been given full authority to maintain this community, and I've in turn given full autonomy to some of our most dedicated community members to make decisions with and for the better of the community.

Following feedback from members I've even taken a step back and reduced my actions in favor of allowing those community members to be more involved, and I've taken less liberties to make changes without community involvement. If that isn't community driven, I don't know what is.

I feel like we're as alive as a community as we ever were. Times change and we may not all be as obsessed with 64MB VPS but, as a community, we have evolved with the landscape and we remain strong.

We're still a small community, we always have been. But we're still a strong voice in a market, an important structure that is in no way losing its ground. I want to grow faster, but we are actually growing lately.

Thanked by 2luissousa MikePT
  • LeeLee Veteran

Jordan said: Please do share what advantage you think an interview about BudgetNode gives ColoCrossing.

They albeit naively believe it will start to drive traffic back up. For you it's a free advert for no effort.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Frankly I like the changes being made to the LECommunity but I am concerned that this might turn into an oligarchy. I like the fact that stricter requirements have been set for certain badges but I am alarmed to see special badges being given on the whim e.g. @Francisco being tagged as Top Provider, I don't dispute at all BuyVM's credibility, they are among the best in my opinion but who gets to designate someone as the top provider? Is it something I have missed on the forums or is it based on the quarterly poll ? I asked @jarland about it in a thread some while back but got no response.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think @MrGeneral has a fair point - at first blush, having the first interview conducted with a company in which a LET mod is involved screams conflict of interest...

However, knowing the personalities involved - and given that no one actually reads LEB any more, do they? - I think I will still be able to sleep at night. Though that might just be the whiskey.

Thanked by 2MikePT Mathias
  • LeeLee Veteran

raza19 said: but who gets to designate someone as the top provider?

@francisco pays $100 per month to keep the top provider title.

• SpicyPepperSpicyPepper Member
    edited August 2016

I don't think ex-providers/active providers should be able to be an administrator here on LET/LEB. @Ishaq is a perfect example of that.

EDIT: It's sad because right after I post this @Ishaq decided to "match" my IP with my "other" accounts (in which I have no affiliation with). This forum is totally biased and unfair.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2016

jarland said: No, but I think you might be overestimating the value of a single LEB post.

I think... no, you are underestimating. I've seen the numbers before LEA left (when i - among others - both visible and via companies, offered to purchase LEB) and alone the pageviews are high as fuck, unless you + CC ruined it (which is not even that unlikely).

You can already live comfortable (especially with low tax rate as self employed) with a few 100 VPS customers.

Funny enough, i have not really much morals/ethics especially in business (not like i publish what i own of which VPS provider here, and it's a bunch by now) and even i see a conflict of interest there.... must mean something.

• Jordan said: Harry wanted to try something different and try a new type of LEB post. He chose us for whatever reason. @Ishaq did not persuade him.

He quite clearly asked for providers who are interested to comment for an interview next week. If you are so bothered about the promotion we're getting, then apply yourself. In a week you'll be ahead of us and all this means nothing.

I think this sums it up pretty good. as long as there will be more interviews of this kind in short time budgetnode simply will be one amongst them.

so far they really seem to offer decent services and as involved in the community as @Ishaq is - he probably has more to lose then other providers, if he can't hold up to this now clearly documented goals ;-)

Thanked by 1Jordan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Lee said: @Francisco pays $100 per month to keep the top provider title.

Ironically, it was supposed to be a one-time payment but he forgot to cancel his Paypal subscription, so...

Thanked by 2Lee MikePT
  • @SpicyPepper said:
    EDIT: It's sad because right after I post this @Ishaq decided to "match" my IP with my "other" accounts (in which I have no affiliation with). This forum is totally biased and unfair.

Welcome to LET

Thanked by 2MikePT SpicyPepper