Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System Administrator Job Offer - $1,700/m - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

System Administrator Job Offer - $1,700/m

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

jiggawattz said: Has it? EvolutionHost is clearly outsourcing its work to citizens of countries with weak legal institutions. Would you trust EvolutionHost?

Apple's lot of parts are made in Taiwan
    Lot of Novartis products are made in India
    General Electric is one of the leaders of outsourcing (India, mainly)
    Would you buy products from those companies? Would you trust them as manufactures?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jiggawattz said: EvolutionHost is clearly outsourcing its work to citizens of countries with weak legal institutions.

How on Earth did you come to that conclusion?

hawc said: The off topic ness is real

True but you bastards keep being reasonably polite and not getting all flamey about things.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

@raindog308 said: True but you bastards keep being reasonably polite and not getting all flamey about things.

Shocking! Hot damn ;)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

And this is how OP is feeling now about the derailing of his thread...

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

This thread has become incredibly entertaining to read. @impossiblystupid especially, who is so aptly named, who has provided the most hilarious and incoherent responses of all.

However it seems we are now going round and round in circles and regardless of whether or not you agree with outsourcing, perhaps we should allow the thread to return to the thread back to the OP and allow people who are interested to ask questions and let the OP and others provide actual and constructive responses.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog Shade

I vote @randvegeta for moderator!

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@black said:
    lol people want 4k a month and $20 dedicated E5 servers

Yep. And people wants support from guys who get's $4k, but they can pay only peanuts for a services. They still expect good and quick service :D

Cheap service + good hardware = no support, low quality support, student level support, etc. lol

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @default said:
    Anyway, is this job offer still open, or it has been taken?

Doesn't matter. They'll never gonna open your CV/Resume. It's not a real job offer!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

sayem314 said: Doesn't matter. They'll never gonna open your CV/Resume. It's not a real job offer!

And how did you get into this conclusion?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @bacloud said:

@black said:
    lol people want 4k a month and $20 dedicated E5 servers

Yep. And people wants support from guys who get's $4k, but they can pay only peanuts for a services. They still expect good and quick service :D

On this point, let me say that at one point I was considering doing contract work for IBM, and I would have switched all my VPSes to SoftLayer had that happened. I always try to improve the businesses I work with by looking at their income stream and feeding it whenever possible.

• @raindog308 said:
    Seriously, is there no gray with you? Everything is either nobility or exploitation.

I simply noted that I have no information on what your company does. All I said was based on very common practices in the industry. I'd love for you to supply scientific evidence that shows your HR department actually knows how to attract top talent.

FYI, there are strict Bureau of Labor guidelines around all of this, and they all come from the perspective of protecting American labor.

Oh, rubbish. The only protected class seems to be executives and management. Everyone else is in this poorly designed labor market to fend for themselves.

It's also worth noting that your "further suppress wages" is not borne out by evidence. I understand that more supply causes prices to fall, but in most markets where I am working, salary is going up and there is pressure to find people.

Again, more rubbish. Every big job site on the web has the same generic ads for the same generic jobs. Most of them say nothing about the actual work that's being done, and few bother to list any compensation at all, never mind an attractive one (the most popular words being "competitive" and "market rate").

The reality is that wages have been stagnant for a long time in the US. Companies like Apple and Google have even colluded to suppress wages! To claim there is no evidence is beyond the pale. Like I said, I'd love for you to show how your company is doing things different.

It's completely illegal to say "well, we brought you here and are covering your H1B, so that's part of your salary."

But it's seemingly not illegal to post an ad that is completely unattractive to a local worker (as EH has done here) or, much worse, specifically written to the résumé of a pre-selected cheap foreign worker.

And if you bring someone here and pay them under market, they'll be gone as soon as they can

It is to laugh. Do tell us all how soon that is for an H1B visa.

Given the choice, I'd hire US residents 100% of the time.

Then talk to the people in your company who aren't giving you the choice, because I don't think they're doing their jobs very well.

• @aglodek said:
    Thanks for making my point :) You live well and so have no pressure and choose not to look further afield, which is perfectly understandable.

Your claim was that there was a good supply of jobs that seek immigrants. I said I am looking, but I haven't seen any. The only thing that would support your point would be you pointing to a site that is actually offering the good jobs you claim are out there for world-class talent.

A few examples in no particular order: Belize, Philippines, Portugal, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Panama, Malaysia, Thailand, most places in Eastern Europe... take your pick ;)

Where are the job offers you claim are out there that make it "easily done"? No, all I'm seeing is what EH is doing, setting wages so low that value is exported out of the local economy.

A little hard to follow your argument here, friend. EH's offer is a great example of a comfortable wage, living in, say, Belize.

EH is in the UK, not Belize. My argument seems pretty straightforward. Think about it for a bit before you reply; you might find it's not so disagreeable.

I've had a friend try to make the same argument before. I made him the same offer I make everyone: I'll happily pay a 10% finders fee if you can point me to a job worth taking anywhere. Back up your claims of "high demand" with actual job offers that are looking to immigrate experts.

If you're lucky to come from, or even just studied or lived for a few years in Australia, Canada, Ireland, NZ, UK or US, there are loads of NET (Native English Speaker Teacher) openings all over the world.

That's not the industry being discussed here. I might do that as a side gig while I'm in a country, but it would take better work to get me there. If you can't point to tons of job offers for experts in their field, you have no argument.

(...) If you just kick people to the curb and demand that they figure things out for themselves, you'll get what we're seeing all around us: a lot of marginalized people who have idle time to stir shit up.

Interesting point. How about all those marginalized people abroad, whom you don't want your "local jobs" exported to?

They're the responsibility of their local economy. We do them no favors when we export our broken economic practices to them. As I said, I'm all for improving conditions for everyone, but you have to put on your own oxygen mask before you try to help your fellow passengers.

• emgemg Veteran

Off topic: Am I the only one who has grown tired of seeing many layers of nested quotes in responses? This thread is but one example.

Thanked by 2randvegeta netomx
  • emg said: Off topic: Am I the only one who has grown tired of seeing many layers of nested quotes in responses? This thread is but one example.

Oh LET. First we complain about the quote plugin messing nested quotes. Sysadmin fixed it. Now we're again complaining about the quote plugin. This time because it works as it should.

As nekki said, LET never fails to amuse me.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • JonchunJonchun Member
    edited July 2016

@impossiblystupid said:

@Jonchun said:

@raindog308 said:
    Hold up here. I work in the Fortune 500 in the USA and hire people. While I hire people in the USA predominantly, I've also hired people on H1Bs from India, Central America, and Eastern Europe. Those people are moving to the US and most eventually become US citizens or at least permanent residents. That's definitely "jobs flowing in that direction" and I do that nearly every year (at least, looking back on the last five). I'm hardly alone...the US has tons of IT immigrants every year.

I would think your scenario fits with his point and thathe doesnt have a problem with what youre doing.

Mostly correct, but a bit more nuanced. There remains the problem of what is being done for workers that are likely displaced by the influx of foreign labor. I don't have a problem with putting more people to work at better jobs, but I do have a problem with putting people out of work. That's too often the story in the USA these days.

I have no idea if raindog is actually hiring "up" like that, or if the reason he brings in workers on an H1B is to exploit them locally and further suppress wages in his economy. I don't know what he's hiring for or why he can't find anyone in the whole damn country to do the work. For all we know, his HR staff is either corrupt or incompetent when they say they can't find anyone locally to do the work.

The argument there would be not that HR is being exploitative but if its chea> @sdglhm said:

emg said: Off topic: Am I the only one who has grown tired of seeing many layers of nested quotes in responses? This thread is but one example.

Oh LET. First we complain about the quote plugin messing nested quotes. Sysadmin fixed it. Now we're again complaining about the quote plugin. This time because it works as it should.

As nekki said, LET never fails to amuse me.

What? Infinitely nesting quotes isn't a "fix." It's just as broken as quotes not nesting. It should really only be nesting up to a depth of 2. MAYBE 3 at the maximum. Infinitely nesting quotes just makes it ridiculously hard to follow the conversation sometimes.

• Jonchun said: What? Infinitely nesting quotes isn't a "fix." It's just as broken as quotes not nesting. It should really only be nesting up to a depth of 2. MAYBE 3 at the maximum. Infinitely nesting quotes just makes it ridiculously hard to follow the conversation sometimes.

I agree that it isn't a fix. But that would need to rewrite some major changes to the quote plugin.

• @jvnadr said:

jiggawattz said: Has it? EvolutionHost is clearly outsourcing its work to citizens of countries with weak legal institutions. Would you trust EvolutionHost?

Apple's lot of parts are made in Taiwan
    Lot of Novartis products are made in India
    General Electric is one of the leaders of outsourcing (India, mainly)
    Would you buy products from those companies? Would you trust them as manufactures?

Those workers are not in a position of trust as a sysadmin is. Should Edward Snowden's old job be outsourced to some guy the NSA has never met on the 'net in Russia?

• dailydaily Member

@jiggawattz said:

@jvnadr said:

The whole point is that this thread has been great for Evolution Host. It has gotten plenty of exposure at the top of LET at this point, so by you continuously bumping it you're only helping. My post had nothing to do with whether or not Evolution Host could be "trusted". If you are obviously not the market they are advertising to, then ignore it and move on. I assume your system administration job pays good for you.

• @sdglhm said:

Jonchun said: What? Infinitely nesting quotes isn't a "fix." It's just as broken as quotes not nesting. It should really only be nesting up to a depth of 2. MAYBE 3 at the maximum. Infinitely nesting quotes just makes it ridiculously hard to follow the conversation sometimes.

I agree that it isn't a fix. But that would need to rewrite some major changes to the quote plugin.

It's a social problem more than a technical one. Netiquette should still be for the respondent to trim quotes as much as possible. I certainly have tried, but it still is a matter of individual taste. If anyone wants to cut it down to 3 levels or less, it is trivial to do with a browser plugin like Stylish. Just add a rule with CSS like:

blockquote blockquote blockquote {display: none;}

You

can

test

it

on

this.

:-)

• jiggawattz said: Those workers are not in a position of trust as a sysadmin is. Should Edward Snowden's old job be outsourced to some guy the NSA has never met on the 'net in Russia?

• jhjh Member

Isn't in incredible that when a company posts a server offer that isn't the absolute cheapest possible, they are pounced on, because it is completely unaffordable.. Then, when someone posts a job offer, everyone complains it's too low for their expectations??

• @jh said:
    Isn't in incredible that when a company posts a server offer that isn't the absolute cheapest possible, they are pounced on, because it is completely unaffordable.. Then, when someone posts a job offer, everyone complains it's too low for their expectations??

Welcome to LET!

• @jh said:

Same people or different people? I've never complained about prices, and even said it would be preferable to me if RamNode were to increase their prices due to IPv4 costs (compared to just dropping their 128MB offerings).

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited August 2016

Damn! 2 days, and the only thing I recognize about this topic is the title. Some serious derailing skills at work right here!

Thanked by 3vimalware netomx Hxxx
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

A job offer thread turned out pretty much like any other sad..

Thanked by 3zafouhar netomx MikeIn
  • This is (greater than junior) manager-level pay in any regular commerce industry, in an Indian Metro city.

IT is a special case here. There's crazy pay-distribution depending on the source talent pool the employer is looking at.

VC-funded startups in Bangalore have been known to pay USD $100,000/yr to top-tier engineering school talent (IITs), based on how crazy their timelines are for burning all that cash, (ostensibly to achieve their hockey stick growth numbers).

source: I have drinking buddies in HR everywhere.

vimalware said: source: I have drinking buddies in HR everywhere.

Weird...I've never found HR people to be worth hanging out with.

• @raindog308 said:

vimalware said: source: I have drinking buddies in HR everywhere.

Weird...I've never found HR people to be worth hanging out with.

That's what happens when a bunch of friends with Engineering degrees go on to do an MBA and wind up in an HR role.

The why of it goes above my head.
    India is a land of mystery. ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

vimalware said: That's what happens when a bunch of friends with Engineering degrees go on to do an MBA and wind up in an HR role.

The why of it goes above my head.
    India is a land of mystery. ;)

HR is an industry all of it's own in India, you need to be super smart and savvy to negotiate it.

The stories that I hear daily regarding recruitment and HR border on the insane.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jhjh Member
    edited August 2016

@default

If nobody can not provide such info, then please provide the wage of a system administrator outside London (but in UK), if possible.

It varies. London is easily double other parts of the UK so most of the best candidates go there and most of the best employers are based there. I had an offer of £60k for a sysadmin job just outside London a couple of years ago.

In the north, even in Manchester, salaries are much lower because living costs are much lower. It's hard to comprehend the difference between London and elsewhere. I know someone who does a sysadmin job in Manchester and gets paid about £20-30k (from memory).

Still, £15k (as per the OP's thread) is just too low for a useful candidate in the UK.