Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System Administrator Job Offer - $1,700/m - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

System Administrator Job Offer - $1,700/m

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@msg7086 said:
    Less than my monthly rent payment for a 2bd apartment.

Possibly the most pointless comment yet.

• perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited July 2016

1700 is a great income for since i have shit ton on free time to play with this.
    But unlucky i need to train little more to keep up doing this to take this in a profesional way.

• trnjtrnj Member

@MrGeneral said:
    4000 USD sounds better. But 1700 USD for a company you never heard about... Hmhm...

I hope robots will replace you in future.

• If it's just doing pasting replies to support tickets on an evening while watching TV then it's not bad pay, but if someone with a brain is needed to solve serious issues then it's a bit low.

I bet you will have many people willing to take you up on that offer...

• @doghouch said:

@Safehousecloud said:
    In some countries 1700 USD is a good income. For Singapore it could be hard if its not weekly :)

It really depends. If you're explicitly living in Singapore, it may be plenty to live on, but in a country like the US or Canada... a decent flat will set you back $1200/mo.

Keep in mind that you'll also need to pay for transit, necessities (toothpaste, a razor, etcetera), and food.

If you live in a country with high living standards, then $1700/mo won't be enough to live on. With $20,000 (before tax) a year, you'll even qualify for government assistance! I guess that's something to be happy about.

In Singapore it's nothing :) you know we are the most expensive country of the world?

What I mean is for poor countries it's a good income. Like for example Bangladesh.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • trnjtrnj Member

I think for 1700$ you can hire an office somewhere in Russia. Namecheap switched to russian support and indian development.

• ricardo said: $1700/m working from home is a great opportunity for a lot of people, it's really that simple. The correct (internal) response is either "no thanks" or contact the OP.

Yeah, it is, except when you consider it's under my biweekly.

• trnjtrnj Member

Ok, I own a relatively busy job website in dubai, we process thousand of cvs every day.
    And I should say this salary is pretty good for most IT candidates.
    They will be able to live, eat and fully support their families in india or pakistan.
    Average salary request is 1200 for IT, 1700-4000 finance, 1700-2500 engineers.
    But you wouldn't believe, these people are soooo hard working. They would really work for 60 hours per day. Pretty qualified engineers and finance managers.
    One day I see they would replace lazy and fat american staff.

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Did some rough working out, I could pay my mortage (on a 2 bedroom house in outer London), my utility bills and eat (instant noodles) on that sort of money, so I find it hard to believe it's not a reasonable salary somewhere in the world.

Thanked by 2Clouvider bersy
  • @Safehousecloud said:

@doghouch said:

@Safehousecloud said:
    In some countries 1700 USD is a good income. For Singapore it could be hard if its not weekly :)

It really depends. If you're explicitly living in Singapore, it may be plenty to live on, but in a country like the US or Canada... a decent flat will set you back $1200/mo.

Keep in mind that you'll also need to pay for transit, necessities (toothpaste, a razor, etcetera), and food.

If you live in a country with high living standards, then $1700/mo won't be enough to live on. With $20,000 (before tax) a year, you'll even qualify for government assistance! I guess that's something to be happy about.

In Singapore it's nothing :) you know we are the most expensive country of the world?

What I mean is for poor countries it's a good income. Like for example Bangladesh.

Too much. dr the extra infos, brain wasn't working. Just realized what I actually wrote XD

Thanked by 1Safehousecloud
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited July 2016

@trnj said:
    Average salary request is 1200 for IT, 1700-4000 finance, 1700-2500 engineers.
    But you wouldn't believe, these people are soooo hard working. They would really work for 60 hours per day. Pretty qualified engineers and finance managers.

I'd say average has next to no absolute meaning in the context of a global economy. Pay is relative to standard of living. What's average in many countries is low or high in others. I'd bet you'd generally find IT people all over the world making varying amounts of money, but having the same relative economic status.

@trnj said:
    One day I see they would replace lazy and fat american staff.

That's just an incredibly ignorant comment. I have news for you, fat and lazy people exist in your unicorn of a paradise country as well. You might be more surprised to learn they live all over the world.

• Rallias said: Yeah, it is, except when you consider it's under my biweekly.

The point being it's not really a pissing contest in saying "that's chicken feed compared to what I make". There'll be people here making 5 figures a month, some 4, some 3.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish iKeyZ
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Microlinux said: fat and lazy people exist in your unicorn of a paradise country as well

Well, unless you live in North Korea...obesity is not typically a problem there :-(

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17774210

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited July 2016

$1700/mo maybe L1, some node access, and live chat while watching some Plex in the meantime

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Nekki said:
    Did some rough working out, I could pay my mortage (on a 2 bedroom house in outer London), my utility bills and eat (instant noodles) on that sort of money, so I find it hard to believe it's not a reasonable salary somewhere in the world.

Now subtract taxes.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • @jarland said:

@Nekki said:

Now subtract taxes.

Now remove a bedroom.

• @Shigawire said:

@jarland said:

@Nekki said:

Now subtract taxes.

Now remove a bedroom.

"wut"

• @rm_ said:
    and stop being such spoiled 1st world brats, tnx.

Nobody's acting spoiled, just realistic. I can't help that I was born in a location where $1.7k won't buy you much, and it sure won't buy you an admin at even the junior/entry level. The burden is on @EvolutionHost to be more specific in the type of worker they're looking to get for that kind of money.

And turnabout is fair play. If EH is located in a first-world country, it is shameful that they aren't willing to pay local prevailing wages. That's kind of thing that screws an economy and leaves people disenfranchised and voting for Brexit. If EH wants to pay sweatshop wages, they should move to that kind of country themselves rather than trying to exploit such misery from a distance.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited July 2016

@EvolutionHost: Any part-time job opportunities?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

impossiblystupid said: Nobody's acting spoiled, just realistic. I can't help that I was born in a location where $1.7k won't buy you much

Still you could do better than stink how 1700 USD is junk money for you, while some chap in Ukraine has to work his ass off for 139/month.

The burden is on @EvolutionHost to be more specific in the type of worker they're looking to get for that kind of money.

I don't think they care where you live, as long as you have the skills required and the pay is satisfactory to you. And as we established, there are tons of countries around the world where this is basically a dream salary. As such, all that stinking about how junk cheap the offer is, seems entirely unnecessary.

But I get it, you don't often get a chance to brag how rich you are, especially while being a regular on... LET. O_o

• @Shigawire said:

@jarland said:

@Nekki said:

Now subtract taxes.

Now remove a bedroom.

Now remove the windows.

• rm_ said: But I get it, you don't often get a chance to brag how rich you are, especially while being a regular on... LET. O_o

It is pretty sad if that's how it is. From my limited life experience, people who take the opportunity to look down on others come from said lower place.

Thanked by 3rm_ deadbeef Nekki
  • @impossiblystupid said:
    And turnabout is fair play. If EH is located in a first-world country, it is shameful that they aren't willing to pay local prevailing wages. That's kind of thing that screws an economy and leaves people disenfranchised and voting for Brexit. If EH wants to pay sweatshop wages, they should move to that kind of country themselves rather than trying to exploit such misery from a distance.

What really is shameful is that your economics education is so lacking that tens of thousands of people who have been dead like 300 years ago can laugh at your face. I suggest you accumulate some of your money and get some education because clearly you sorely need it.

• That's how much 5 sysadmins make where I live, I would apply but I'm not suitable for any particular job :/

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited July 2016

Really it's not bragging about being "rich" as much as complaining about the extremely high cost of living in some areas.

Here after taxes and other deductions you would get $1300. A cheap apartment is 800. Avg electric is 185. Water sewage is 80. you would be eating Ramen and drinking water.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@lazyt said:
    Really it's not bragging about being "rich" as much as complaining about the extremely high cost of living in some areas.

Here after taxes and other deductions you would get $1300. A cheap apartment is 800. Avg electric is 185. Water sewage is 80. you would be eating Ramen and drinking water.

The domain holder (of Evolution-Host.com) is from London, United Kingdom, according to domain records from 2015-02-06; and also holds EvolutionHost.co.uk from 2013-05-31.

I am curious what is the average wage of a "system administrator" in London nowadays (Brexit included), on 40 hours/week (maintaining servers + updates + security + node deployment + customer support + further requests from leader + additional resposibilities)?

If nobody can not provide such info, then please provide the wage of a system administrator outside London (but in UK), if possible.

I ask this out of curiosity. Thank you.

• nepsneps Member

I think people underestimate the disparity in wages between countries. If I had to hire someone from my country with OP's specifcations, I wouldn't even need to go past 1000 USD/month.

Thanked by 2aglodek netomx
  • aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

@impossiblystupid said: (...) And turnabout is fair play. If EH is located in a first-world country, it is shameful that they aren't willing to pay local prevailing wages.

Shameful to you, but good business sense to others... welcome to Business 101 in this new, wonderful (for some) globalized world of ours!

That's kind of thing that screws an economy and leaves people disenfranchised and voting for Brexit.

Neither here or there as far as this topic is concerned, but to each, their own. Lets wait a bit and see how that works out for the British, shall we?

If EH wants to pay sweatshop wages, they should move to that kind of country themselves rather than trying to exploit such misery from a distance.

Giving people a whopping wage from a distance, that's exploiting them now, is it? But relocating the business there and offering the same - or most likely less! - that would be fair and square? Interesting mentality, that, but understandable. Most of the indignant comments here are simply indicative of a total lack of grasp of what is happening outside their respective comfort zones. This coupled with not a little underlaying instinctive fear of what is coming...

I had to call PayPal support yesterday. I mention this here, because I was attended to by a very competent customer service rep... from India, by the sound of him. No great surprise there, especially seeing PayPal is keeping an eye on things - from a distance... received an email this morning asking to evaluate said support incident.

@zafouhar said:

@Shigawire said:

@jarland said:

@Nekki said:

Now subtract taxes.

Now remove a bedroom.

Now remove the windows.

Now remove your pants.

Thanked by 3Nekki jvnadr Pwner

impossiblystupid said: And turnabout is fair play. If EH is located in a first-world country, it is shameful that they aren't willing to pay local prevailing wages.

There's actually some logic to this but there are two problems with this.

The first is that they're undoubtedly competing against other companies that do not do this. It's not like EH is some mammoth industry pacesetter.

The second is that it's 2016. It's a global market. IT organizations of any size are buying services all over the place.

impossiblystupid said: That's kind of thing that screws an economy and leaves people disenfranchised and voting for Brexit. If EH wants to pay sweatshop wages, they should move to that kind of country themselves rather than trying to exploit such misery from a distance.

I think there's certainly a rather shocking experiment in wage arbitrage that's emerged in the last 30 years, managed by government officials who usually can barely tie their shoes, much less manage global-scale transformations. However, I think it's quite a jump from saying that globalization is a double-edged sword to saying that EH is paying "sweatshop wages" (demonstrably untrue in this thread) and is exploiting misery.

Consider this another way: would you object if a man in East Derpistan started a one-man company selling a product and many in the US bought it? What if he was a painter and did artwork by commission and his clients were in England? I see nothing wrong with this...and all we're talking about here is someone providing goods and services to another.

Thanked by 2netomx aglodek