Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System Administrator Job Offer - $1,700/m - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

System Administrator Job Offer - $1,700/m

Comments

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

randvegeta said: SPOILED EASTERNERS AND THEIR CHEAP GOODS

Yeah, especially stuff like computers and computer parts, imported cars (because there are either no locally produced cars, or they don't just look like, they are designed in the 1980s) and the unsurpassed ability to travel all around the world on vacations from the 139 EUR/mo job.

Exactly! You get it

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

randvegeta said: Exactly! You get it

Didn't think I will need to clarify, but

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

randvegeta said: Exactly! You get it

Didn't think I will need to clarify, but

So you didnt get that both my previous posts were sarcastic?

Thanked by 1impossiblystupid
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

randvegeta said: So you didnt get that both my previous posts were sarcastic?

They were way too long and I didn't read them, only replied to what caught my eye.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jvnadr said: Cuba (yes, Cuba, the living devil for the US) has an incredible public health system with research laboratories that are having more innovations per year discovering new treatments to diseases, than the US.

Are you seriously suggesting that Cuba, which has an economy less than 1% of the world's largest economy (the US), does not have a single top 1000 university, and has only three universities in the top 5000, is a medical research powerhouse that outperforms all of the US research universities, government labs, corporate labs, and startups?

Now tell us Switzerland has the most powerful navy in the world.

Thanked by 2Pwner inthecloudblog

randvegeta said: you CANNOT live a dignified life

Honestly, that comment kind of offends me, though I'm not sure you're a native speaker and perhaps you're misusing the term "dignified".

If you mean "you can't survive on $1700/mo in London and live the sort of life that most British citizens would want to live" then I agree.

But there are homeless people living dignified lives. Money has zero correlation to dignity.

Thanked by 3Ole_Juul netomx switsys
  • @randvegeta said:

impossiblystupid said: It is sickening when people undercut citizens from their own economic pool

Who says this is what is happening?

Apparently everyone who chimes in on the matter. There is zero talk here about moving any admin jobs to London and paying people over $4k/month. Or jobs of any kind flowing in that direction. Everyone who seeks to "benefit" from these kind of trade deal always makes it about exploiting a less developed nation. The burden is on you to show that is not happening.

Eastern Europe has far lower salaries to those in Western Europe. But the EU is a 'single market' so to speak. Are they in different pools or the same in your mind?

I haven't given it a second of thought. Someone would have to pay me if the wanted me to actually figure out how to make their economy functional.

Who defines the boundaries of these pools you speak of? Does London constitute a single pool? So would it be morally wrong to outsource to Manchester?

Maybe. Again, I haven't done the analysis. Nobody defines the pools; they are a basic outcome of the mathematics. You can figure out your own pool if you'd like. You have income and you have expenses. Those people/businesses you deal with have second order income and expenses. Chart it out far enough and you get a nice directed graph of interconnected nodes with loops and clusters that should be easy to understand.

It seems wrong to discriminate based solely on geography.

Then it's a good thing I didn't. Look, if you have a guy in town selling shirts at $20 and a guy somewhere else selling them for $50, the answer isn't "buy local" unless you're hopelessly naïve about the whole economic system. If it turns out that the $50 guy is actually a direct customer of your business and pumps $40 back in, you'd be a fool to buy from the $20 either on price or geography.

If a company can cut costs, efficiency is improved and there benefits to that.

As I have already said, cutting costs alone is how a moron views an economic system. You have to track the flow of all the money. If it's pouring out of the country or piling up in the bank accounts of the rich, you have a broken economy.

Which again leads me back to.... borderline xenophobic.

No, it's all the other people here who are advocating that. It is your side that still wants to pay foreigners less, and so much less that they can't even consider moving to London (or wherever). I'm the one saying that's not right. Your cognitive dissonance on this is astounding.

EH is looking to hire someone for 'low ball' money whilst being based in London. You think they should hire people in London because they are based there

Nope. I never said that. I simply said that they seem to be enjoying what London has to offer without allowing their new employees to do the same, and that has consequences.

but you have no idea who their customer base is or where they are from

Indeed. But the burden is not on me to know this. It is on EH to determine what economic pool they're in, and then not bother people who are not in that pool with these jobs.

Who sets these economic boundaries? You? You conveniently ignore this point!

I haven't. I've answered it directly and completely. Let me know if there's still a part of it you don't understand.

So if I were to hire someone in Lithuania for the 'measly' $1,700 /month for sysadmin/dev work, would that be exploitative or not? Should I hire someone in HK or not? What is the morally correct decision here?

You haven't hired me, so I have no economic interest in helping you make an intelligent decision in the matter. :-)

You know what I find hilarious? Your assumptions that people earning $1.7k must be 'lowly', living in 'squalor', 'poverty' or are being exploited.

Nice straw man you've built there. Now go back and actually read what I've written and try to understand what is being said when I note cost of living differences.

impossiblystupid said: Apparently everyone who chimes in on the matter. There is zero talk here about moving any admin jobs to London and paying people over $4k/month. Or jobs of any kind flowing in that direction. Everyone who seeks to "benefit" from these kind of trade deal always makes it about exploiting a less developed nation. The burden is on you to show that is not happening.

Hold up here. I work in the Fortune 500 in the USA and hire people. While I hire people in the USA predominantly, I've also hired people on H1Bs from India, Central America, and Eastern Europe. Those people are moving to the US and most eventually become US citizens or at least permanent residents. That's definitely "jobs flowing in that direction" and I do that nearly every year (at least, looking back on the last five). I'm hardly alone...the US has tons of IT immigrants every year.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:

Hold up here. I work in the Fortune 500 in the USA and hire people. While I hire people in the USA predominantly, I've also hired people on H1Bs from India, Central America, and Eastern Europe. Those people are moving to the US and most eventually become US citizens or at least permanent residents. That's definitely "jobs flowing in that direction" and I do that nearly every year (at least, looking back on the last five). I'm hardly alone...the US has tons of IT immigrants every year.

On the other side of it, I work in a FTSE 100 company and every single job (not just IT either) that can conceivably be farmed out to India is going there. It's certainly THE strategy for a large number of multinationals now, because recruitment is turning into an absolute shitstorm in a number of cities as there are a ton of companies doing exactly the same thing.

Thanked by 1impossiblystupid
  • @raindog308 said:

impossiblystupid said: Apparently everyone who chimes in on the matter. There is zero talk here about moving any admin jobs to London and paying people over $4k/month. Or jobs of any kind flowing in that direction. Everyone who seeks to "benefit" from these kind of trade deal always makes it about exploiting a less developed nation. The burden is on you to show that is not happening.

I would think your scenario fits with his point and thathe doesnt have a problem with what youre doing. If you're hiring immigrants that become citizens and pump money back into the local economy, you're obviously paying them enough so they can "enjoy" the benefits of living in wherever you live. He seems to have a problem with paying remote workers/outsourced workers that will only spend in their location and not put back into the local economy. (Basically, you don't pay them enough to ever have a chance at coming and spending locally, but you pay them just enough so that its a decent wage in their location. Thus, it causes them to spend only in their location and takes wealth OUT of the location where the employer is based)

I kinda just skimmed the entire thread so forgive me if I misunderstood anything. Also, just trying to give my interpretation of @impossiblystupid 's argument. I don't really want to chime in on this as I don't consider myself experienced enough to come up with an educated opinion.

Thanked by 1default
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

raindog308 said: Are you seriously suggesting that Cuba, which has an economy less than 1% of the world's largest economy (the US), does not have a single top 1000 university, and has only three universities in the top 5000, is a medical research powerhouse that outperforms all of the US research universities, government labs, corporate labs, and startups?

Do a small research before you throw things like that:

https://scholar.google.gr/scholar?q=cuba+innovation+medicine&hl=el&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF262tyJvOAhVHPxQKHXBfCw0QgQMIGjAA
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cuba-medical-innovations_us_56ddfacfe4b03a4056799015
    http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/cuba-ailing-not-its-biomedical-industry
    http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/05/12/3657867/cuba-lung-cancer-vaccine/
    http://www.wired.com/2015/05/cimavax-roswell-park-cancer-institute/
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3284995.stm
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/05/13/cuba-lung-cancer-vaccine-scientific-collaboration/27241137/
    http://www.scidev.net/global/news/cuba-starts-making-money-from-its-support-for-medical-r-d.html

And I am not saying that Cuba has more innovations than US, but innovations are a lot without the sources and the salaries US gives to their institutions, not to mention the commercial profits that leads to high salaries and stuff in the US, while Cuba doesn't have any of this, just the scientists...

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • @jvnadr said:

impossiblystupid said: Because those first-world infrastructures

"First World Infrastructures"? Are you so impossibly stupid to really think that countries that don't belong to your... "first world", are living in the stone age?

I may play the court jester in the hopes that you won't make a fool of yourself, but here we are. Allow me to say something that will apparently blow your mind:

Not every part of a first-world country even has a first-world infrastructure

A fine example of that is Michigan, which was so dependent on the automotive economy that large portions still haven't recovered from the "globalization" of that industry, and currently the city of Flint is still in the news for having too much lead in their water.

But there are many other parts of the US that are equally embarrassing. I live in Minneapolis, where we had a freeway bridge collapse some years back. This is what happens when you don't have a real economic plan for your people.

You want some more?

Yes, but the "more" I want is the more you don't seem eager to provide. Cherry picking isolated industries that a country is doing well in does not an economy make. The "more" I want is the bigger economic picture of the country, with a resolution down to every citizen, including those that left homeless or with no other options than to become a criminal. But, I'll admit, that's really a discussion that is beyond the topic of what an admin should be earning in a global economy.

impossiblystupid said: Because exporting only cheap jobs don't allow the other countries to build their infrastructures up to the same levels.

Really? Do you think that scientists from... "non first world countries" with salaries much more low than the US and UK, are not capable in just the same level like scientists in your... "first world"?

Yes, if the cost of living where the same everywhere as it would be in a true global economy. It should go without saying that if everyone is paying the same price for everything, then those with the less money can do less with it. If you're having trouble with that basic math, I'm not sure how able you are to handle the more complicated stuff like derivatives.

Do you know that Romania, Czech, Denmark, South Korea and Belgium have much faster average internet speed for households than US and UK?

Do you know that cherry picking still isn't a valid way to prove a point? Nobody in their right mind is looking to leave the US or UK just over the single issue of internet speed.

YOU need to see the whole picture: "First world countries" are just having so much overrated costs of life, that the average citizen, even while earning much more than citizens from most of the other countries, are having worse quality level of living...

You're actually supporting my point. But the solution is not to be found in export more value out of the system.

impossiblystupid said: That's the only real way you can justify paying so little for valuable skills.

Who can determine if our salaries are too low or your salaries are too high?

Stop looking for a dictatorial "who" to run your life for you, and just use a little science instead to determine what's in your own best interest. The mathematics of the economic systems you're involved in determine the prices. My point remains that if you are so interested on lower prices that you break the system, there are consequences you need to deal with. If you don't plan for that, you're doubly screwed.

With your logic, your country can regulate the market using power (military, political etc.) and sell the third world overpriced products, but the third world is not allowed to sell you services in their price range! Nice!

Nice only as a straw man. Again, and I don't understand why this is so hard for so many to get, my "logic" is that people in the third-world should be getting first-world compensation, allowing them to truly bring their country up to equality in a global economy. The suppression and exploitation by the current powers-that-be is specifically the policy I'm arguing against!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

impossiblystupid said: The suppression and exploitation by the current powers-that-be is specifically the policy I'm arguing against!

This is something that finaly I can agree with you, but most of your arguments and words are just trying to justify the policy of the current powers...

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

raindog308 said: Are you seriously suggesting that Cuba, which has an economy less than 1% of the world's largest economy (the US), does not have a single top 1000 university, and has only three universities in the top 5000, is a medical research powerhouse

In the mid-1980s, with aid from the Soviet Union, Cuba started to invest heavily in science and biotechnology. Although it is a small country with only 11 million people, it now boasts 52 scientific research institutes in the capital and more than 12,000 scientists on the whole island. Cuba's health indicators - the infant mortality rate is 6.4 per 1,000 and life expectancy is 75 years - put it in the same league, health-wise, as the US and Britain. The quality and efficiency of its comprehensive, and free, health-care system contrasts sharply with the sluggish and inefficient state-controlled economy.

Source: Yale University's McMillan Center

• @aglodek said:

@impossiblystupid said: You just don't get it. It's not me that wants my cost of living to be that high. Are you going to get my landlord to significantly lower my rent, or get the supermarket to sell me groceries for 90% off?

Actually, it is you who wants that!

Untrue. I fully embrace the mobility that the field of computers provides. What is true is that nobody from another country has been beating a path to my door to bring me into their country to do work at a level of compensation that allows me to live as well there as I do here.

A few examples in no particular order: Belize, Philippines, Portugal, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Panama, Malaysia, Thailand, most places in Eastern Europe... take your pick ;)

Where are the job offers you claim are out there that make it "easily done"? No, all I'm seeing is what EH is doing, setting wages so low that value is exported out of the local economy.

Because people live where they live...

Actually, most people from the so-called "developed world" live where they choose to live. They have passports, easy access to most countries and, most importantly, skills in high demand around the world :)

I've had a friend try to make the same argument before. I made him the same offer I make everyone: I'll happily pay a 10% finders fee if you can point me to a job worth taking anywhere. Back up your claims of "high demand" with actual job offers that are looking to immigrate experts. Which, I'll note, often requires much more than a mere passport.

If an admin already lives in the UK, what the hell do you tell them as companies like EH stop supporting their local community?

You tell them: tough luck, stop whining, get out of their comfort zone and broaden their horizons to boot :) Tell them to do a little homework and:

• either upgrade their skills and find an altogether different job in high demand locally (like accounting maybe?) or

• move somewhere else, where they can work and live comfortably using their existing skillset. And maybe learn a foreign language, too, while they're at it, thus increasing their skillset/value...

All wrong answers to anyone who wants to run a functional economy. If you destroy a job, it is a healthy economy that has already created a new one for that person. It's a mistake to have productive people sitting around doing nothing. If you just kick people to the curb and demand that they figure things out for themselves, you'll get what we're seeing all around us: a lot of marginalized people who have idle time to stir shit up.

jvnadr said: Do a small research before you throw things like that:

I think I'll keep throwing it.

jvnadr said: In the mid-1980s, with aid from the Soviet Union, Cuba started to invest heavily in science and biotechnology. Although it is a small country with only 11 million people, it now boasts 52 scientific research institutes in the capital and more than 12,000 scientists on the whole island.

There are single universities that have have more than 12,000 scientists on campus.

You are the one making the fantastic claims...so let's the proof of "research laboratories that are having more innovations per year discovering new treatments to diseases, than the US."

Nekki said: On the other side of it, I work in a FTSE 100 company and every single job (not just IT either) that can conceivably be farmed out to India is going there. It's certainly THE strategy for a large number of multinationals now, because recruitment is turning into an absolute shitstorm in a number of cities as there are a ton of companies doing exactly the same thing.

Yes, this is true. But oddly, I still find it desperately difficult to hire truly senior IT people in two different major cities in the US.

• edanedan Member

I live practically in the "third world country" but the cost of living that I spend each month (including maid monthly salary etc.) does not exceed 20 percent of total net income each month.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:

Yes, this is true. But oddly, I still find it desperately difficult to hire truly senior IT people in two different major cities in the US.

We have a similar issue in London. We believe this may be a by-product of the brutal offshoring - as a result of having lots of bodies but no experience, top-tier experienced guys are contracting for huge amounts of money. Also, a lot of senior guys in roles at the moment are biding their time waiting for the almost inevitable redundancy and their payday before moving elsewhere. I know I am :-)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

raindog308 said: You are the one making the fantastic claims...so let's the proof of "research laboratories that are having more innovations per year discovering new treatments to diseases, than the US."

This was a wrong wording, I just wanted to say that there are many innovations or capable scientists with great discoveries, even in countries outside the US, that most of us couldn't imagine or know, and proportional to population. And Cuba is one of those countries in the specific field (medicine). Is this a wrong claim?

jvnadr said: This was a wrong wording, I just wanted to say that there are many innovations or capable scientists with great discoveries, even in countries outside the US, that most of us couldn't imagine or know, and proportional to population. And Cuba is one of those countries in the specific field (medicine). Is this a wrong claim?

Not at all...I buy the idea that on a per-capita basis, Cuba outperforms in research (in some fields) compared to many other nations.

edan said: I live practically in the "third world country" but the cost of living that I spend each month (including maid monthly salary etc.) does not exceed 20 percent of total net income each month.

You might be amused to know that 95% of Americans do not have maids, or so I just googled. I know very few people who have a maid, and even then, 95% of those who do have a maid actually have a cleaning service that comes periodically...nothing approaching a live-in servant.

• RamiRami Member

In Egypt it's very good salary

• @Jonchun said:

@raindog308 said:

I would think your scenario fits with his point and thathe doesnt have a problem with what youre doing.

Mostly correct, but a bit more nuanced. There remains the problem of what is being done for workers that are likely displaced by the influx of foreign labor. I don't have a problem with putting more people to work at better jobs, but I do have a problem with putting people out of work. That's too often the story in the USA these days.

I have no idea if raindog is actually hiring "up" like that, or if the reason he brings in workers on an H1B is to exploit them locally and further suppress wages in his economy. I don't know what he's hiring for or why he can't find anyone in the whole damn country to do the work. For all we know, his HR staff is either corrupt or incompetent when they say they can't find anyone locally to do the work.

@impossiblystupid said:
    I have no idea if raindog is actually hiring "up" like that, or if the reason he brings in workers on an H1B is to exploit them locally and further suppress wages in his economy.

Indeed, we have grown rich bringing enslaved masses to labor in our underground sugar caves. It's pretty much Roots.

Seriously, is there no gray with you? Everything is either nobility or exploitation.

@impossiblystupid said: I don't know what he's hiring for or why he can't find anyone in the whole damn country to do the work.

That's exactly it.

FYI, there are strict Bureau of Labor guidelines around all of this, and they all come from the perspective of protecting American labor. Many, many jobs are simply ineligible for H1Bs...the ones we process usually are for top-of-career posts and the candidates have Master's/PhDs, etc. in their home countries.

It's also worth noting that your "further suppress wages" is not borne out by evidence. I understand that more supply causes prices to fall, but in most markets where I am working, salary is going up and there is pressure to find people. If I have a job posted at $100K or $150K, it's going to be that salary regardless if the person was born in Boston or Bangalore. It's completely illegal to say "well, we brought you here and are covering your H1B, so that's part of your salary." And if you bring someone here and pay them under market, they'll be gone as soon as they can...it's bad business.

Given the choice, I'd hire US residents 100% of the time. The people are already here, there's no $10K in legal fees and processing costs, they can usually start immediately, etc. We always start local and then go national and then, if necessary, international. We're big so in some cases we can hire foreign in a foreign country and put them in an office there. But it's not always possible.

Companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc. bring in scads of H1Bs. They also have access to top-tier college grads. Yet salaries continue to escalate...not sure there is sufficient data to understand it.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

@impossiblystupid said:

@aglodek said:

@impossiblystupid said: You just don't get it. It's not me that wants my cost of living to be that high. Are you going to get my landlord to significantly lower my rent, or get the supermarket to sell me groceries for 90% off?

Actually, it is you who wants that!

Untrue. I fully embrace the mobility that the field of computers provides. What is true is that nobody from another country has been beating a path to my door to bring me into their country to do work at a level of compensation that allows me to live as well there as I do here.

Thanks for making my point :) You live well and so have no pressure and choose not to look further afield, which is perfectly understandable.

A few examples in no particular order: Belize, Philippines, Portugal, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Panama, Malaysia, Thailand, most places in Eastern Europe... take your pick ;)

Where are the job offers you claim are out there that make it "easily done"? No, all I'm seeing is what EH is doing, setting wages so low that value is exported out of the local economy.

A little hard to follow your argument here, friend. EH's offer is a great example of a comfortable wage, living in, say, Belize. You are pretty well off, to hear you tell it. Good for you. But others, who are a bit more pressed and more adventurous, could do the math and arrive at the conclusion that a laid back lifestyle, a house overlooking the beach plus US$ 500 or more saved up every month is more like it than a cramped flat, crowded commute and headache how to make ends meet in the outskirts of London or LA, even at a much higher salary. Good way to regroup, get a breath of fresh air and look for something more permanent. Beware the hidden "danger" here: once you've uprooted and tasted the freewheeling expat life, especially Asia, you might never want to go back! ;)

Because people live where they live...

Actually, most people from the so-called "developed world" live where they choose to live. They have passports, easy access to most countries and, most importantly, skills in high demand around the world :)

I've had a friend try to make the same argument before. I made him the same offer I make everyone: I'll happily pay a 10% finders fee if you can point me to a job worth taking anywhere. Back up your claims of "high demand" with actual job offers that are looking to immigrate experts.

If you're lucky to come from, or even just studied or lived for a few years in Australia, Canada, Ireland, NZ, UK or US, there are loads of NET (Native English Speaker Teacher) openings all over the world. Ranging from about US$ 1000 for entry level positions, to upwards of US$ 3000. More often than not, housing on campus and plane ticket to visit your home country a part of the package. Negligible local taxes.

I'll note, often requires much more than a mere passport.

Your offshore employer will normally handle all of the red tape. If you relocate on your own, many countries will roll out a welcome mat giving you a "retiree" visa, if you can prove income of ~US$ 1000 :)

(...) If you just kick people to the curb and demand that they figure things out for themselves, you'll get what we're seeing all around us: a lot of marginalized people who have idle time to stir shit up.

Interesting point. How about all those marginalized people abroad, whom you don't want your "local jobs" exported to? They seem to be much more inclined - to the point of sacrificing their lives! - and way better equipped to "stir shit up", as you eloquently put it. And now coming to your front porch, looks like, at least if you live in affluent Western Europe...

• dailydaily Member

This thread has been great for Evolution Host.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • edanedan Member

raindog308 said: You might be amused to know that 95% of Americans do not have maids, or so I just googled. I know very few people who have a maid, and even then, 95% of those who do have a maid actually have a cleaning service that comes periodically...nothing approaching a live-in servant.

A young (lady), and capable live-in servant is just around $100/month, at least in my district :)

Let say my monthly net income is 10 percent less than the average monthly salary in US or any first world country (UK, France, Germany etc.) but with a very low cost of living, property, land etc. then of course the 10 percent shortfall is not a problem at all.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Dream job for Indians, Its really hard to get this type of job specially in India and many other country.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited July 2016

@daily said:
    This thread has been great for Evolution Host.

Has it? EvolutionHost is clearly outsourcing its work to citizens of countries with weak legal institutions. Would you trust EvolutionHost?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

The off topic ness is real

Thanked by 1netomx
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Anyway, is this job offer still open, or it has been taken?