Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

System Administrator Job Offer - $1,700/m - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

System Administrator Job Offer - $1,700/m

Comments

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

@raindog308 said: (...) Consider this another way: would you object if a man in East Derpistan started a one-man company selling a product and many in the US bought it? What if he was a painter and did artwork by commission and his clients were in England? I see nothing wrong with this...and all we're talking about here is someone providing goods and services to another.

Newsflash: a great many people object to such "unfair" practices! China being the best known case in point, but by no means the most competitive - labour cost cutting wise - locale any longer. These days, many Chinese (more or less) factories are relocating to the likes of Myanmar, Thailand or Malaysia. Others, unable or unwilling to make such a move, are closing down en masse. Just wait and see what happens when Africa comes online - if Senegal's French language BPO industry is anything to judge by!

• rds100rds100 Member

You guys from the high income countries are spoiled. $1700/month is a decent pay, if it is without taxes. Actually it's about what i make (after taxes), and it's considered good for where i live.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Hah... from where I from, $300/mo is a decent income.

Even I make less than 1200k/mo.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

@rds100 said: You guys from the high income countries are spoiled. $1700/month is a decent pay, if it is without taxes. Actually it's about what i make (after taxes), and it's considered good for where i live.

Not spoiled. They have bills to pay. In Hong Kong, US$1700 will barely cover the rent for a decent 2 bedroom. Not an hour's drive away, across the border, in Shenzhen, China, you can rent a much bigger 3 bedroom in a brand new, safe development - overlooking Hong Kong if you want - and have more than enough to live comfortably. Which is exactly what I do, except a bit further out, in suburban Guangzhou.

Heh, all this indignation at such a scandalous, low ball job offer, which is actually very attractive (objectively speaking, from a global perspective). Wake up, people! There's a whole, big, bad world out there! And getting better trained and more qualified by the day. And, yep, they are all very hungry little critters and thanks to your bread and butter - the internet - they are out to get your cushy, high paying jobs away from you. One way or another, all long distance. Dreaming of a "fair" level playing field and indignation will not help pay bills. Better deal with it. Cut costs, relocate to a cheaper environment. Or find a globalization-proof job. Or start your own small business and outsource like hell! You can't beat them, so join them ;))

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @rm_ said:

impossiblystupid said: Nobody's acting spoiled, just realistic. I can't help that I was born in a location where $1.7k won't buy you much

Still you could do better than stink how 1700 USD is junk money for you, while some chap in Ukraine has to work his ass off for 139/month.

You just don't get it. It's not me that wants my cost of living to be that high. Are you going to get my landlord to significantly lower my rent, or get the supermarket to sell me groceries for 90% off? Is EH? Running a race to the bottom benefits nobody.

And as we established, there are tons of countries around the world where this is basically a dream salary.

Then EH should stick to posting their job offers in those countries. It's bad enough that businesses like this deny a living wage to a local citizen, now the country has even less money to support the jobless person! The UK should tax the hell out of them as they export value out of the economy in that way.

But I get it, you don't often get a chance to brag how rich you are, especially while being a regular on... LET. O_o

Nobody living paycheck to paycheck is bragging about being rich. The amounts may be different for everyone, but the underlying economics remains the same. Stop looking at the number of zeros on the check and really think about how the system works.

• @sdglhm said:
    Hah... from where I from, $300/mo is a decent income.

Even I make less than 1200k/mo.

I make less than 1200k/mo as well. That's an amazing salary.

• @aglodek said:

That's kind of thing that screws an economy and leaves people disenfranchised and voting for Brexit.

Neither here or there as far as this topic is concerned, but to each, their own. Lets wait a bit and see how that works out for the British, shall we?

I wasn't trying to focus on Brexit itself, but the underlying economics that may have people against this kind of race-to-the-bottom style of globalization.

Giving people a whopping wage from a distance, that's exploiting them now, is it?

Yes, of course it is. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be offering less than UK wages for the job. That is to say, if the intent of a corporation was to allow foreign economies to be as rich and robust as the UK economy, they pay the same wages a UK worker gets. Only then will the economies of those foreign countries actually benefit from that "whopping wage". Until that happens, there is only relative wealth by a few (still exploited) individuals while the rest of the population still has garbage strewn everywhere. The wages are lower because this is not intended to be a hand up.

But relocating the business there and offering the same - or most likely less! - that would be fair and square?

It wouldn't be exporting value from the local economy, so it would be more sustainable, yes.

• MacPacMacPac Member

1700 USD are equal to 17000 EGP which is a very decent salary for engineers where I live.

• @raindog308 said:
    The first is that they're undoubtedly competing against other companies that do not do this. It's not like EH is some mammoth industry pacesetter.

The second is that it's 2016. It's a global market. IT organizations of any size are buying services all over the place.

Tragedy of the commons. This is why a smart country would put in place laws that prevent corporations from exporting value. I'm not singling out EH in my admonishments; they just happen to be the one's who started this thread.

However, I think it's quite a jump from saying that globalization is a double-edged sword to saying that EH is paying "sweatshop wages" (demonstrably untrue in this thread) and is exploiting misery.

Not that much of a jump if it's true that they're expecting a professional level worker but not even paying a living wage for such a person. Especially if the given pay doesn't include expenses, taxes, etc.

Consider this another way: would you object if a man in East Derpistan started a one-man company selling a product and many in the US bought it?

I'm merely pointing out that an economy must be sound for any of this sort of trade to make sense. Money leaving the US has consequences for people living in the US. They might be good, or they might be bad. Scenarios like yours don't give a full accounting, and that's what I object to the most.

Now remove your pants.

The only way I could take 'em off is if I put 'em on first. :-O

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

@impossiblystupid said:

@aglodek said: But relocating the business there and offering the same - or most likely less! - that would be fair and square?

It wouldn't be exporting value from the local economy, so it would be more sustainable, yes.

Well, my friend, time to stop dreaming and wake up, take a deep breath and smell the new local economy: the world at large! I know what I'm talking about: I'm Polish, but resident of Hong Kong (best jurisdiction tax wise bar none). I live in China (much more affordable than Hong Kong). I run a business in Hong Kong (#1 business friendly jurisdiction in the world). Starting up a new one in Ireland this fall (#1 locale for startups in all of EU and all those businesses to help relocate from the UK to the EU, that is to say Ireland... thank God for Brexit :) Seychelles, too, I think (probably #1 locale for any online service business - still investigating that). All above very pleasant environments to work in, too (I'm talking real live businessses, with offices, not offshore shelf companies here). And the two things you will never, ever hear me crying in my soup about: living costs and taxes :) The commute is a bit of a bitch, but what the hell, gives me time to think and learn and scheme... er, plan ahead... and enjoy LET ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

impossiblystupid said: Then EH should stick to posting their job offers in those countries.

LET is visited from many many countries all around the world, so their post reaches some possible takers alright. They shouldn't post here because what, it hurts teh feelingz of a local UK worker? Well wake up then, outsourcing is a thing already, you can't stifle it by making up silly restrictions that global job offers should only be posted locally, or whatever. And as someone potentially on the other side of it, I can't see why someone in Moldova or Belarus shouldn't be allowed to make a decent living working remotely for a UK company.

• @aglodek said:

@impossiblystupid said:

@aglodek said: But relocating the business there and offering the same - or most likely less! - that would be fair and square?

Well, my friend, time to stop dreaming and wake up and smell the new local economy: the world at large!

Ah, but now you've fallen into my trap! :-) If we can agree that it is as you say it is, a one-world economy, then everyone should be making the same amount of money for the same job everywhere! As evidenced in this thread, that is clearly not the case today. So if you're saying it will be the case soon enough, help us out and establish the rate a company must be able to pay to hire a system administrator anywhere in the world. Go ahead. I'm all ears.

And for a really fun followup, please do let us know how much every CEO should be making, too . . .

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

@impossiblystupid said: Ah, but now you've fallen into my trap! :-) If we can agree that it is as you say it is, a one-world economy, then everyone should be making the same amount of money for the same job everywhere! As evidenced in this thread, that is clearly not the case today. So if you're saying it will be the case soon enough...

Hell, I never said nor implied that! We are talking economics here... you know, supply and demand thingy? ;)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@jarland said:

@Nekki said:
    Did some rough working out, I could pay my mortage (on a 2 bedroom house in outer London), my utility bills and eat (instant noodles) on that sort of money, so I find it hard to believe it's not a reasonable salary somewhere in the world.

Now subtract taxes.

I did. Taxes would be pretty low on that amount in the UK due to the it not being much over the tax-free allowance.

• @impossiblystupid said:

Ah, but now you've fallen into my trap! :-) If we can agree that it is as you say it is, a one-world economy, then everyone should be making the same amount of money for the same job everywhere! As evidenced in this thread, that is clearly not the case today. So if you're saying it will be the case soon enough, help us out and establish the rate a company must be able to pay to hire a system administrator anywhere in the world. Go ahead. I'm all ears.

And for a really fun followup, please do let us know how much every CEO should be making, too . . .

Both a stupid comment and a straw man.
    Even within a single localised market there will be large variations in what people earn.
    We are in a global economy and in a global economy there will always be pricing variations that will be exploited They will be exploited by companies and by workers.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • What kind of timezone are we looking at here?

• dailydaily Member

@jeromeza said:
    What kind of timezone are we looking at here?

As pointed out in other posts, they are located in London. Probably a good indication.

• @daily - thanks, pity as it conflicts with my working hours.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited July 2016

@daily said:

@jeromeza said: What kind of timezone are we looking at here?

As pointed out in other posts, they are located in London. Probably a good indication.

Better double check with EV - they seem to be looking for 2 sysadmins, probably to cover 2 shifts:

@EvolutionHost said: Hello, management at Evolution Host have requested I make the LET community aware of two available positions...

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2016

impossiblystupid said: I can't help that I was born in a location where $1.7k won't buy you much, and it sure won't buy you an admin at even the junior/entry level.

So, in your opinion, it's OK French or US companies selling vps worldwide for peanuts because, due to their country infrastructures and/or government funds they are able to give low prices, but it is not fair for a small hoster to hire someone from countries with lower salaries, to cut some costs! Experienced admins with a lot of skills (you know, universities outside US are good, too!) could cost even lower than 1000$/m and those people can be much more skilled than some admins in the US paid for 4-5K/m.

aglodek said: These days, many Chinese (more or less) factories are relocating to the likes of Myanmar, Thailand or Malaysia. Others, unable or unwilling to make such a move, are closing down en masse.

It's the globalization. Countries like US or most of EU think that globalization is God! In fact, it opens the gap between citizens from different countries and creates third, fourth or ninth worlds... And many of the bad happens in the world (terror, riots, hunger) are due to this "evolution". Sad, ugly, unfair but true...

P.S. @impossiblystupid Sorry for my comment, I just noticed your nickname...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

40 hours a week translates to ~6 hours per day. For this salary + considering the legal minimum salary paid in my country its an awesome offer.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2016

@Maounique

What's your opinion on the free market and supply and demand of employees in the global workplace :)

Can't have an existential conversation here without your input.

Wonder if OP is crying into his keyboard or someone has sent a CV in from here.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

So 50 out of 60 comments is about how 1.7k is low payment? Well if it's low - don't apply and carry on.

Tl;Dr of everything - 1.7k is next to nothing in some countries and more than enough in other countries. This thread is obviously meant for the 'other countries'.

End of discussion?

• FalzoFalzo Member

ricardo said: Wonder if OP is crying into his keyboard or someone has sent a CV in from here.

he probably is doing the one and only right thing here, by not letting himself be drawn into that discussion.

AlexBarakov said: End of discussion?

+1

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited July 2016

US $1700 is a good wage rate here here if you ask me @ the moment :)

Also it's work from home so, you save the traveling exp.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited July 2016

@sdglhm

1200k/mo

That's a great salary! Where are you working? Are there open jobs?

• doghouch said: Keep in mind that you'll also need to pay for transit, necessities (toothpaste, a razor, etcetera), . . .

If it's a UNIX admin, you can skip the razor.

• emgemg Veteran

I am curious to know:

How will @EvolutionHost provide the two weeks of training? Is he/she going to provide the training entirely online? Will @EvolutionHost fly the new employee out for onsite training?

How will @EvolutionHost vet prospective employees, whose job requires a high level of trust?

How do prospective employees trust that they will be paid if the business gets into trouble, considering that the domain was created less than 18 months ago? (... and what recourse do they have from a far away place if the pay does not arrive?)

• Its equal to about MYR7000. That's a lot of money here.

• erkinerkin Member

That money is not bad for a working from home job. Add the money you would pay for transportation, lunch and clothes if you were working in an office to it.