Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net f*cking with their old customers - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net f*cking with their old customers

Comments

• @Nekki said:
    Exactly my thoughts, sometimes the LE* forgets the world doesn't revolve around them.

yep.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Hi,

last week I got an email from online.net telling me that they will start charging 19€ per transaction when paying via Paypal. They stopped supporting Paypal for new accounts a long time ago, but now they really try to get rid of the remaining Paypal clients. You will have to sign in to the online.net console and change the billing method in order to avoid those fees.
    This is discussed as well for example here: https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/43otao/new_onlinenet_paypal_fees/

• thanks, I didn't find that thread with searching for "online.net paypal".

• They reversed the decision I think?

• Ishaq said: They reversed the decision I think?

When? Where? Why?

• Amitz said: When? Where? Why?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1519040/#Comment_1519040

@abermingham can you confirm if the decision has been reversed or not?

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • When I log in to the online.net console, click Billing --> Change payment method I still get this:

A €19 fee will be charged for optional payment methods (checks, Paypal, American Express, bank transfers)

• Hello,

We will send you a mail concerning the payment fees in the next days :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • What I'd like to know is whether Online.net will ever clean up their filthy network.

Quite a lot of the junk brute-force attacks I see in my logs are from 62.210.0.0/16 and 195.154.0.0/16. It's probably the second most common source of this crap after China. I gave up bothering to report the abuse to Online.net because they simply aren't interested in reports.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@VPSensational said:
    What I'd like to know is whether Online.net will ever clean up their filthy network.

Quite a lot of the junk brute-force attacks I see in my logs are from 62.210.0.0/16 and 195.154.0.0/16. It's probably the second most common source of this crap after China. I gave up bothering to report the abuse to Online.net because they simply aren't interested in reports.

Eh, Failban has a email function, just setup a forward to [email protected] problem solved.

• @bene_online said:
    Hello,

We will send you a mail concerning the payment fees in the next days :)

Soon or letter you will be forced to add paypal again. Just you will now louse clients and get bad reviews.

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited February 2016

@Infinity580 said:
    Eh, Failban has a email function, just setup a forward to [email protected] problem solved.

The problem with this suggestion is that fail2ban does not discriminate what IP is being reported from what provider. This means that if an IP is NOT from online.net, you will be sending them (online.net) an abuse email for no reason and needlessly spamming them.

Other then manually reporting every IP to the abuse@nameofprovider) , configure fail2ban to permanently ban the offending IP's.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Weblogics said:
    Other then manually reporting every IP to the abuse@nameofprovider) , configure fail2ban to permanently ban the offending IP's.

For sure, you can search for Tags like Online and forward it if existend.

• @Infinity580 said:
    For sure, you can search for Tags like Online and forward it if existend.

This a bit vague. Care to elaborate?

• If brute-force attacks to ssh port. Change ssh port from 22 to 20020 (just example). The same way for ftp.

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited February 2016

@mustafaramadhan said:
    If brute-force attacks to ssh port. Change ssh port from 22 to 20020 (just example). The same way for ftp.

Using any port above 1024 in this manner is bad security practices. Ports above 1024 are considered non-privileged and be opened with a non root account and which can lead to other own security risks. I could write a lot more on this but we are off topic enough of the original thread...

• Weblogics said: I could write a lot more on this but we are off topic enough of the original thread...

This is LET, going massively off-topic is everybody's favourite thing to do.

• I'll just say, obscurity is not security

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

$0.19 I would understand, $19 is ridiculous. Simply removing PayPal from billing options would have been a better solution. I know for sure what company I'm NOT ever going to get a server from!

Oh, and while their solution does go against terms of service, they could simply charge a "Billing Fee" of X amount and then simply apply the same amount of discount for credit/debit and not apply the discount to all other payment methods that they want to discourage. That would not be in violation, right?

• shovenose said: $0.19 I would understand, $19 is ridiculous

It's not $19 it's €19 which is $21 ish

• LeeLee Veteran

shovenose said: I know for sure what company I'm NOT ever going to get a server from!

Looks like their plan is working already.

• Just received this from online.net

We have informed you recently of a change in the pricing for the processing of certain payment methods PayPal / Amex with the goal to discourage the use of these in a short-term.

Historically, the opinion of our customers has a large impact in considering issues of our company. We are committed to meet your exceptions and offer you the best experience with our services.

Many of you have reported difficulties to pay by credit card from some countries. Thank you for the feedback you gave us, which allowed us to analyze your needs.

Contrary to what we have indicated previously, payments will remain free of additional charges for existing customers.

We invite you to make payments using debit or credit cards (CB/VISA/MasterCard) or European SEPA direct debit whenever possible.

We remain at your entire disposal.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • We already got a thread about that, post it there rather than opening aa new one.

• We are committed to meet your exceptions

Ha! Freud at work! :-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Frecyboy said: We already got a thread about that, post it there rather than opening aa new one.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

LOL, they made it free again. So why they scare their customers? :)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

Just for clarity:
    I have merged the two threads!
    Whoopa! My first thread merger! ;-)

• @Amitz said:
    I have merged the two threads! Whoopa! My first thread merger! ;-)

Wait until you have to merge something into the Cest Pit....

• @Nekki said:
    Wait until you have to merge something into the Cest Pit....

Will an 8-headed hydra appear and spit acid on me?