Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net f*cking with their old customers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net f*cking with their old customers

Comments

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Bank transfer? They take 19 euro for payment administration?

• Just saw my e-mail today - guess I am cancelling. Too bad they don't accept bitcoin :/

• LeeLee Veteran

PayPal does not allow that but it's not like they will care when they want rid of them as a payment processor. They will just remove it completely which is what they should do.

Suck it up people, I know the campaigns against this will now start but it's their choice.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

This would make sense if they're charging the 30 cents + 2-3% extra PayPal charges versus something like Bitcoin. But 19 Euros? For what?

• LeeLee Veteran

It will be due to the disputes/chargeback issues I reckon.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

ATHK said: I would forward that email to PayPal..

You will do a favor for online.net with this action. They will have a perfectly legit excuse for removing PayPal payments.

Where exactly is the problem? If you have PayPal account you should have credit-debit card (in most cases). Also, there is a ton of VCC providers such as: Entropay, Payoneer, Netspend etc.

Thanked by 2Falzo NanoG6
  • sabbo2001sabbo2001 Member
    edited February 2016

Frankly, online.net limited itself quite hard by not accepting Paypal for new customers for a fairly long time - but this change will not only get them 1) Dropped by paypal for a frankly ridiculously high fee and 2) will probably scare off future customers that don't feel safe not using paypal (some people are a little odd in this way)

Edit: I get the funny feeling there might some backpedaling on this pretty damn sharpish.

Thanked by 1default
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@VirMach said:
    This would make sense if they're charging the 30 cents + 2-3% extra PayPal charges versus something like Bitcoin. But 19 Euros? For what?

Paypal takes about 3 - 4% in total, but depends on turnover and amount of transactions.

• LeeLee Veteran

Remember and cancel before the 20th.

Thanked by 4Huell lbft mpkossen Pwner
  • time4vps said: You will do a favor for online.net with this action. They will have a perfectly legit excuse for removing PayPal payments.

Good point.

"We can't take Paypal now because they cut us off. Sorry."

• @time4vps said:
    Where exactly is the problem? If you have PayPal account you should have credit-debit card (in most cases). Also, there is a ton of VCC providers such as: Entropay, Payoneer, Netspend etc.

Doesn't excuse the fact that they add a flat 19€ fee if you want to use SEPA bank transfer instead of giving them a SEPA direct debit mandate. On the plus side it is at least possible to buy from them as a european customer without a CC.

• Hopefully it will push them to accept Bitcoins.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • I do, however, note that my bill is taking much longer in the day to arrive... coincidence?

• @Lee is ansolutely right... you can do nothing about, even if it stinks like hell.

they probably won't work with paypal anymore because of chargebacks and such issues.

but maybe they cannot simply remove paypal as an payment option for legacy contracts because they offered and included this option before.

but they may have had a clause in their terms which allows them to adjust fees...

so your options are, agree and pay, change payment method or leave. :/

Thanked by 2Issam2204 Lee
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited February 2016

Lee said: It will be due to the disputes/chargeback issues I reckon.

IIRC that was their stated reason for using PayPal over direct credit card in the first place - being scared of chargebacks from foreign cards, probably before they realised that being French to PayPal and telling them to fuck off doesn't win disputes.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@lbft said:
    IIRC that was their stated reason for using PayPal over direct credit card in the first place - being scared of chargebacks from foreign cards, probably before they realised that being French to PayPal and telling them to fuck off doesn't win disputes.

Don't worry, they already call their customers Wankers in French

Thanked by 1IThinkUFailed

This just gets funnier:

<HarryCross> arnaud, honestly. Think anyone is going to pay €19 in fees, on a server that costs €19 with €19 setup fee + 20% VAT too. Really
    <LeGallois> HarryCross whats the fee for?
    <HarryCross> The new PP fee
    <arnaud> HarryCross: not a subject. We don't want any more paypal payments, thats the goal
    <LeGallois> fee for what?
    <HarryCross> So why dont you just remove it?
    <arnaud> HarryCross: everybody have credit card, we "force" our clients to use their credit card.
    <arnaud> HarryCross: we will :)
    <arnaud> HarryCross: this is step1
    <LeGallois> pp can be a pain for online I guess for people who cause problems??

There we have it everyone!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Heh, how about hell no. I'm out. Terminated all services immediately. If they said something like $3 maybe I'd understand but that number is hilariously insulting.

• Well that sure is quite the fee. Kinda reminds of when i was told yesterday "sleeping in my car in the city would apply a 1000$ fee per person in car." I loled

• @jarland said:
    Heh, how about hell no. I'm out. Terminated all services immediately. If they said something like $3 maybe I'd understand but that number is hilariously insulting.

I would say insulting is an understatement.

• Don't get it, doesn't PayPal offer the same coverage as credit card?

Although only existing in the states - Costco only allows American Express credit cards as they can significantly lower transaction fees through payment processor deals. Forcing a single payment processor is perfectly reasonable, IMHO.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner

<arnaud> HarryCross: somes want and are ok to pay €19

Riiiight. Seems legit

@Silvenga said:
    Don't get it, doesn't PayPal offer the same coverage as credit card?

Although only existing in the states - Costco only allows American Express credit cards as they can significantly lower transaction fees through payment processor deals. Forcing a single payment processor is perfectly reasonable, IMHO.

Totally reasonable. I would've input my card today if they said "We no longer accept PayPal, please enter a card to prevent service outage."

Presentation is important.

• jarland said: Terminated all services immediately.

If their goal was to get rid of customers using PayPal it looks like they've accomplished it :P

• I don't think the 3% PayPal fee is worth this amount of loss for them. They will regret this decision, completely.

• I use my Paypal Debit card to pay for my kidechire

Thanked by 1Trav
  • LeeLee Veteran

lbft said: IIRC that was their stated reason for using PayPal over direct credit card in the first place - being scared of chargebacks from foreign cards, probably before they realised that being French to PayPal and telling them to fuck off doesn't win disputes.

I can relate to to it though, I find there are far more disputes/issues with PP clients than those that pay with a debit/credit card. And the reasons are often ridiculous. But everyone knows this if you sift through this site.

hawc said: Don't worry, they already call their customers Wankers in French

Maybe they are though, honesty is not a bad thing for some customers.

Agree with @jarland though, just remove it and be done with it. Simple as.

edited February 2016

Is it just me or did @Amitz post in this thread and the post is no where to be seen...

Mobile view showed it bump with a reply from him and there was no new reply from him in the thread.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its even 19EUR + VAT, dam high.

<arnaud> i don't know any other hosting company who accept pp

There we have it. The CEO of Online.net everyone. Clueless as ever