Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

online.net f*cking with their old customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

online.net f*cking with their old customers

Don't know what title would be more appropriate, just received this email from online.net:

ONLINE SAS
Technical assistance
BP 438 - 75366 Paris CEDEX 08
France

Tel: 01 84 13 00 00

Hello,

You are currently using a specific mean of payment: Paypal

We are committed to keep our prices among the most competitive on the market for all of our services and to the majority of our customers, while providing expensive and very specific payment means.

Considering the high transaction fees charged by the operator of these means of payment in 2016, we inform you that from March 1st 2016 a transaction fee of € 19 excluding taxes will be applied.

You are able to change your payment method at any time and without any charges from your management console.

Payments using credit cards (CB / Visa / Mastercard) and European SEPA direct debit transactions remain of course free of charge.

We remain at your entire disposal.

If you have any questions, please contact our assistance https://console.online.net/assistance/

Best regards,

--
The Online team

Thanked by 2Jonchun Huell

Comments

• Just received:

ONLINE SAS
    Technical assistance
    BP 438 - 75366 Paris CEDEX 08
    France

Tel: 01 84 13 00 00

Hello,

You are currently using a specific mean of payment: Paypal

We are committed to keep our prices among the most competitive on the market for all of our services and to the majority of our customers, while providing expensive and very specific payment means.

Considering the high transaction fees charged by the operator of these means of payment in 2016, we inform you that from March 1st 2016 a transaction fee of € 19 excluding taxes will be applied.

You are able to change your payment method at any time and without any charges from your management console.

Payments using credit cards (CB / Visa / Mastercard) and European SEPA direct debit transactions remain of course free of charge.

We remain at your entire disposal.

If you have any questions, please contact our assistance https://console.online.net/assistance/

Best regards,

19 EUR? On each transaction? Are they crazy?

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Dafuck? €19 euro fee? WUT?

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

The Paypal takes high fees, but € 19 excluding taxes.... it is too much...

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited February 2016

@Amitz said:
    19 EUR? On each transaction? Are they crazy?

Don't think so, it's more like "are you crazy enough to keep using PayPal to pay us?"

I may be wrong, but I think in the last couple of years they only accepted cc for new orders. The last time I could put a new order using PayPal was late 13, maybe early 2014?

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

This is their big push to make their legacy clients add a Credit Card as their payment method.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

If server cost 30 - 40euro, they will add 19 euro? :))

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2016

Just phasing out Paypal finally, it was not offered to new customers in years, and once as an old customer you switched away from it, you couldn't switch back.

Probably by now the number of people still on Paypal doesn't justify the maintenance effort required. And I don't think they expect anyone to actually start paying 19 EUR on top, they just want you to switch to CCs.

Thanked by 3Darwin netomx Rolter
  • Just use SEPA direct debit, it costs less for them and your privacy is better protected

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @MarkTurner said:
    mikeyur - OnlineRefugees?? ;) /sarcasm

still waiting...

• They really want people to stop using Paypal.

rm_ said: and once as an old customer you switched away from it, you couldn't switch back.

As an old customer you totally can? (not that its all that relevant with this new 19EUR fee anymore)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Zappie said: As an old customer you totally can

Oh indeed now I can. But I assure you this wasn't an option before this 19 EUR fee was introduced.

Thanked by 3Darwin Zappie netomx
  • Just got this mail. Direct Debit is not an option for them as far as I know. I'm a little annoyed, understandably. Oh well, time to switch provider I guess.

Edit before I submitted: They appear to accept Direct Debit now... but no credit cards, just Debit Cards and American Express?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Lol lol. This is typical for them though. Just leave them. Now

• If i read this correctly they would charge a 19EUR fee even for a bank transfer? Does this mean that the people who used to pay with SEPA are screwed too?

• @rm_ said:
    Oh indeed now I can. But I assure you this wasn't an option before this 19 EUR fee was introduced.

I too am an old customer and, like you, couldn't pay my servers with PayPal until today.

• @Darwin said:
    I too am an old customer and, like you, couldn't pay my servers with PayPal until today.

I'd been paying with paypal for years.

rm_ said: Oh indeed now I can. But I assure you this wasn't an option before this 19 EUR fee was introduced.

>

I take it back, you are probably right. Seem now even new accounts can choose paypal where as before they couldnt have.

• Isn't charging a surcharge like that against the PayPal terms of service?

• lbftlbft Member
    edited February 2016

sabbo2001 said: I'd been paying with paypal for years.

When I signed up, PayPal was the only payment method they'd let me pay with since I was outside the EU.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2016

I really don;t like this kind of attitude. Saying that the 19€ fee is for covering paypal expenses, is just a lie. And lying is a disgusting behavior. Online.net's guys should not be proud of their behavior.
    But...
    Paypal is not an angel, for both customers and providers. It is now a giant global bank with minor regulations compared to the normal banks from every country. Reaching their helpdesk is not an easy task, when in any bank, they have at least phone service 24/7 and offices in every corner. They can take measures like closing or suspending an account without even let you know why they did that or listening to the client's part. There are huge complaints about them in many forums and they cannot be easily be control from domestic authorities.
    For example, they asked me by message in my client's area to send them some personal files as regulation to EU laws, I send them twice (because in a manner of 2 months they didn't take any action, just showed my action as pending), I tried to contact them via mail, but till now they didn't response. (My account is working fine, but I am reaching the yearly limit, so, if they do not respond even telling me they want more documents, I maybe not be able to continue transactions).

Thanked by 1boxelder
  • HuellHuell Member
    edited February 2016

new scam against paypal policy

buy 6 eur server and pay 25 eur and maybe setup? very expensive 6 eur server

oh forgot tax so even more expensive

• I wish they'd let us pay quarterly or annually (by debit / credit card).

• Hmm. The TOS of Paypal does in fact limit you from doing such, at least in the US. I wonder if there's some separate EU terms or something that would allow it over here.

3.4 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

• @sabbo2001 said:
    Hmm. The TOS of Paypal does in fact limit you from doing such, at least in the US. I wonder if there's some separate EU terms or something that would allow it over here.

3.4 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Same in the EU, you cannot charge additional processing fees for PP.

Thanked by 1zeitgeist
  • Got the same email but for American Express, really puts a 6 euro server in perspective when the fees are 3 times the monthly cost of the server. It seems even though the Billing section says 'Debit Cards' credit cards work fine?

• sabbo2001 said: Hmm. The TOS of Paypal does in fact limit you from doing such, at least in the US. I wonder if there's some separate EU terms or something that would allow it over here.

Exactly, you cannot process extra Fee for paypal.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited February 2016

@sabbo2001 said:
    Hmm. The TOS of Paypal does in fact limit you from doing such, at least in the US. I wonder if there's some separate EU terms or something that would allow it over here.

Obligations when receiving funds

11.2 If you receive funds through our Services you must:

Pay any applicable fees for receiving the funds into your account;

Not ask the buyer to send you the payment through a Personal Transaction if you sell goods or services; and

Not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting our Services as a payment method.

http://www.paypal.com/eu/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

I would forward that email to PayPal..