Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers

Comments

• Intel Core2Quad Preconfigured
    2.13GHz or faster - 1 processor
    4 cores / 4 threads

Which one is it exactly ? And real unmetered?

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

emre22 said: And real unmetered?

As real as a 100mbit connection shared with other clients on a very budget provider can really be.

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited March 2016

@emre22 said:
    Intel Core2Quad Preconfigured
    2.13GHz or faster - 1 processor
    4 cores / 4 threads

I actually got a Q9550, one my favorite CPUs from back then. So, much faster than the advertised offer.

Internet is 1 Gbps / 20TB, which is better than 100mbps unmetered IMO

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

HBAndrei said: As real as a 100mbit connection shared with other clients on a very budget provider can really be.

Is this enough for you? (tested 2 times)

And a second server (different specs):

The first server has been rented 4 months ago and the second, two months ago.

emre22 said: Which one is it exactly ? And real unmetered?

yes, they are real unmetered and all with Gbit line, AFAIK (at least, mine are!)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • sinsin Member

My $10 server is still kicking ass, great deal

Benchmark started on Tue Mar 15 12:01:59 EDT 2016
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz
    CPU Cores   : 2
    Frequency   : 2659.776 MHz
    Memory      : 3801 MB
    Swap        : 7863 MB
    Uptime      : 6 days, 18:21,

OS      : Debian GNU/Linux 8
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 3.16.0-4-amd64
    Hostname    : banana

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is banana

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    58.2MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      54.5MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   73.0MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   48.0MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   41.2MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   5.65MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      12.2MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   5.42MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     3.90MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    45.8MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 107 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 108 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 106 MB/s
    Average I/O : 107 MB/s

edited March 2016

jvnadr said: Is this enough for you? (tested 2 times)

Yeah, definitely, my upload is not as good (it's still OK though), but I guess it depends who your neighbors are and how much they're using the connection as well:

• @HBAndrei said:
    $10 and $15 servers are now available! :D

Now if only they would stock their higher end stuff...

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • HBAndrei said: Yeah, definitely, my upload is not as good (it's still OK though), but I guess it depends who your neighbors are and how much they're using the connection as well

As I see, you have a Datashack server, not WSI. They are located in the same datacenter, using the same staff but they are not exactly the same company.
    Anyway, my two servers are different type, I bought them with 2 months time window. Do some more checks using different servers/location. (Use different server in speedtest script)

@jvnadr said:

Well, I ordered the server from WSI and I'm paying monthly invoice to WSI.
    Never really noticed the ISP is DS until now though... oh well.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • HBAndrei said: Well, I ordered the server from WSI and I'm paying monthly invoice to WSI. Never really noticed the ISP is DS until now though... oh well.

I am still trying to understand the relationship between the two companies. Are the same store? Are they just having a close cooperation and exchange staff and stuff? Are they owned by the same persons? @Aaronw maybe can answer that!

• @jvnadr said:
    As I see, you have a Datashack server, not WSI. They are located in the same datacenter, using the same staff but they are not exactly the same company.
    Anyway, my two servers are different type, I bought them with 2 months time window. Do some more checks using different servers/location. (Use different server in speedtest script)

I think they both rely on KCIX pretty heavily so their upstream is probably nearly the same. And most of the speedtests here seem to be hitting something that is in KC.

In all fairness, if you were to level a criticism against them (aside from never being in stock!!) it's that their bandwidth is not great (I can never push more than 100mbps between a large compute cluster in AWS east). But if I could get more WSI servers of the caliber that I want, that wouldn't even be an issue. :P

• XenosXenos Member

@AaronW Are the free 250GB drives still available? I only received one on the server I ordered.

• @iwaswrongonce

Speed depends on various parameters. Here's some speed tests from various locations all over the world:

Greece - my place!

• AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

Xenos said: Are the free 250GB drives still available? I only received one on the server I ordered.

Yes. Send in a support ticket and they'll add one for you.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog Xenos

clarity_64 said: Can you install windows on those things?

We don't support it but there have been examples in this thread of people getting it installed.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

jvnadr said: I am still trying to understand the relationship between the two companies. Are the same store? Are they just having a close cooperation and exchange staff and stuff? Are they owned by the same persons? @Aaronw maybe can answer that!

I've answered it many times but I'll answer it again. :) WII and DS are owned by completely different ownership groups. DS uses WII staff to handle all front end functions, like sales, billing, tech support and WII leases space in a building owned by the same people (plus me) that own Datashack.

All the servers are in the same building but there is actually seperate sections for each company's equipment and beyond the edges, with a few exceptions that were mistakes, the back end networks are separate as well.

• @AaronW support said they can't add 2nd drive, but you're saying you can?

AaronW said: Yes. Send in a support ticket and they'll add one for you.

• edanedan Member

@tenpera said:
    AaronW support said they can't add 2nd drive, but you're saying you can?

Only for $10 box.

tenpera said: @AaronW support said they can't add 2nd drive, but you're saying you can?

edan said: Only for $10 box.

Maybe I misunderstood you. Only on the Core2Duo servers. If that's what you have let me know the ticket number.

• @AaronW I've PM'ed you some hours ago :)

• vastwelkinvastwelkin Member
    edited March 2016

@AaronW said:
    Maybe I misunderstood you. Only on the Core2Duo servers. If that's what you have let me know the ticket number.

When will it be re-stocked? I need a $10 box and I want to transfer my data asap :)

• @vastwelkin said:
    When will it be re-stocked? I need a $10 box and I want to transfer my data asap :)

I am having a spare box, do u want to transfer? Please pm me. Thanks!

• @vastwelkin said:

The latest available only lasted for 10min before somebody took it, you'd better setup a monitoring

Just to make sure we're clear... Second 250GB drives are only for the C2Ds. No other config. Please stop requesting them for 5420s or C2Qs or anything other than C2Ds or I'll have to rescind the offer.

Thanked by 2netomx spammy

But speaking of offers, if anyone's interested in a dual 5520 or a E3-1230v2, there's a $10 off coupon. 0314161

That makes the Dual 5420 with 24GB RAM and a 3TB drive $30 a month. And the E3 with 32GB and a 500 SSD at $46

Thanked by 3jvnadr FredQc Rob92
  • @AaronW said:
    But speaking of offers, if anyone's interested in a dual 5520 or a E3-1230v2, there's a $10 off coupon. 0314161

That makes the Dual 5420 with 24GB RAM and a 3TB drive $30 a month. And the E3 with 32GB and a 500 SSD at $46

Ah sh*t, I took 5150 too early

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

AaronW said: That makes the Dual 5420 with 24GB RAM and a 3TB drive $30 a month

Now you're talking! That's a bargain! Grabbed one already!

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited March 2016

@AaronW said:

Any chance to have it on the SSD model too? - for the 5520

• @AaronW said:

Thanks, couldn't resist and got that E3 with SSD!

/compulsive purchase

• ifykoifyko Member
    edited March 2016

@AaronW said:

I would really love to get the Dual 5520 now, if it has 2 HDD's with Software Raid1, i'm okay with 2x2TB HDD.

AaronW, would be extremely happy if you could do this for me please. :(

Please show me some love :)