Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers

Comments

• david_Wdavid_W Member
    edited March 2016

Yes, Jon was the guy also made me angry regarding my NIC issue. Did a bit more reading on WHT, he is one of the owners of WSI and maybe equal or higher than Aaron...

If I am misleading I am willing to remove this comment..

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • For real ?
    I thought he was an employee. I'll have to bite the dust and pay then .
    He was really serious and precise saying there was no way out of paying the overage ( he made some excuses like that the ticket I referenced was like old )

• AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

inthecloudblog said: I've tried to approach to you via PM and email and none seems to be working.

... and I've answered you. The deal is that we won't switch servers from one bandwidth plan to another once overages are incurred. Once they're paid we can switch you but you have to be proactive in selecting your bandwidth plan.

I looked at all your servers and they were all 100Mbit unmetered when I checked so someone switched it but the invoice is still there.

Believe me... EVERYBODY wants that 1G port but then when overages come along they all want to switch to the 100Mb... then they want to have us remove the overages..... then next month they want the 1Gbit port again... and repeat and repeat.

We did it for awhile and then it just got abused so we don't remove overages any more. The customer is responsible to monitor their bandwidth. You can see exactly where you are in the billing system.

david_W said: Yes, Jon was the guy also made me angry regarding my NIC issue. Did a bit more reading on WHT, he is one of the owners of WSI

You are correct, Jon is one of the owners of Wholesale. He answers most of the sales tickets.

• Looks like that 99USD dual E5 is available now, wonder when the 50USD one will be.

Thanked by 1FredQc
  • edited March 2016

AaronW said: ... and I've answered you.

Not the last PM I've sent you yesterday which I mentioned here also:

@inthecloudblog said:
    AaronW I've PM'ed you some hours ago :)

Don't take it bad you'd been super nice to me but you have not answered it.

AaronW said: . The deal is that we won't switch servers from one bandwidth plan to another once overages are incurred.

I can understand you . Now : I have asked in the past to have my servers to 100mbits unmetered:
    1- I've been told to read the OS tutorial ( I can provide ticket #).
    2- When I quoted 1) to Jon he said ticket was too old . If something is old it can't be evaluated?

AaronW said: Once they're paid

They are now.

AaronW said: we can switch you but you have to be proactive in selecting your bandwidth plan.

Define proactive . I always ( we where going to test the dual E5 @1gbit to see how it went but let's skip it ) want to have 100 mbit unmetered.

AaronW said: I looked at all your servers and they were all 100Mbit unmetered when I checked so someone switched it but the invoice is still there.

>

Jon confirmed it in ticket [#798749] .

AaronW said: Believe me... EVERYBODY wants that 1G port but then when overages come along they all want to switch to the 100Mb... then they want to have us remove the overages..... then next month they want the 1Gbit port again... and repeat and repeat.

I can swear I'm not that kind of customer. I just want to sleep in peace without this overages thing ever again as a chance of existing.

AaronW said: We did it for awhile and then it just got abused so we don't remove overages any more. The customer is responsible to monitor their bandwidth.

In the email which I cc'ed you with a very precise detail I mentioned many times I had to request the graph. And what about that? The basic support guy could not add something ( which in my opinion should be always there) and said he would escalate it.

Same goes when I have faulty hw and they say they will forward it to another dept ( they mention their working timing) and I only received once a compensation.

It's the company you work with/for/and and I can't change your rules but I just state the facts like that I had to open 3 or 4 tickets to have the additional drives ( I do have 3 x c2d) added.

inthecloudblog said: Same goes when I have faulty hw and they say they will forward it to another dept ( they mention their working timing) and I only received once a compensation.

I would be interested in that ticket number because that's their job.... To replace faulty hardware. Since we've been rolling out more and more automation that's pretty much their only job so I would be very interested to find out who transferred you to a different department for hardware replacement. :(

inthecloudblog said: It's the company you work with/for/and and I can't change your rules but I just state the facts like that I had to open 3 or 4 tickets to have the additional drives ( I do have 3 x c2d) added.

That shouldn't have happened either and if you're the person I'm thinking of, I told Jon this morning to push your requests through so you should have gotten your drives.

Setsura said: Looks like that 99USD dual E5 is available now, wonder when the 50USD one will be.

We're going to let the $99 version run for about a week. There is a config spec'd that's $150 also that we'll roll out in about a week and probably the $49 version as well. It all depends on what this first config does.

They're currently selling at a rate of a little more than 1 per minute.

Thanked by 1telephone
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@AaronW!

Just got one! I'm excited as well.
    I bet I was one of the first to grab it, since I told my client to order it for our project when I received the email.

Now.. Thing is... Ram shows as 0GB in my service description.
    There is no IPMI/KVM at all, which is a shame for this server but I understand it.

But Aaron, no Debian? NO DEBIAN? Seriously?
    Why? :(

We need Debian to run our Apps, ubuntu isn't the thing we need, ewww.

• MrGeneral said: But Aaron, no Debian? NO DEBIAN? Seriously? Why? :(

Just install it from an ISO. They offer a loaner KVM, mount up the ISO and boot the system using virtual media.

• @AaronW said:

Initials are J.P. Check your email and PM . You have my client ID in PM and in email you have… my customer email .
    I'm from Argentina. Bet you don't have many and not with 14 servers.

Will have a nap.

MrGeneral said: Just got one! I'm excited as well. I bet I was one of the first to grab it, since I told my client to order it for our project when I received the email.

Congradulations.

MrGeneral said: Now.. Thing is... Ram shows as 0GB in my service description. There is no IPMI/KVM at all, which is a shame for this server but I understand it.

The RAM issue is a problem with our hardware detection system. It's on the list of things to fix.

These servers have DCMI which we've been using to set them all up. The plan is to give the customers access to DCMI/IPMI/iLO interfaces through the billing system in the near future. Due to security issues they are all active on every server, just isolated from the outside.

MrGeneral said: But Aaron, no Debian? NO DEBIAN? Seriously? Why? :(

Ubuntu and Windows were no problem but CentOS gave us fits. Debian didn't work out of the box either. We went with the most popular OSs out of the gate. Debian will be available as an option early next week. Now that we've solved all the issues with CentOS we can apply those fixes to the other OSs on the list.

The issue with the OSs, just to expand on that, is the 10G network cards. They're picket about the drivers, kernel options, boot options etc...

• AaronW said: The issue with the OSs, just to expand on that, is the 10G network cards

You can avoid this as you are not using them, by just popping the mezzanine card off the motherboard

MarkTurner said: Just install it from an ISO. They offer a loaner KVM, mount up the ISO and boot the system using virtual media.

They do not.

"Whatever is on the OS drop down list is what is available on this hardware. No IPMI or kvm's you can load sysrecd through our client portal. "

AaronW said: The RAM issue is a problem with our hardware detection system. It's on the list of things to fix.

These servers have DCMI which we've been using to set them all up. The plan is to give the customers access to DCMI/IPMI/iLO interfaces through the billing system in the near future. Due to security issues they are all active on every server, just isolated from the outside.

If you can provide me IPMI, with Operator status, so I can load an ISO, it would be perfect Aaron...

AaronW said: Ubuntu and Windows were no problem but CentOS gave us fits. Debian didn't work out of the box either. We went with the most popular OSs out of the gate. Debian will be available as an option early next week. Now that we've solved all the issues with CentOS we can apply those fixes to the other OSs on the list.

I can help beta test it? We really need Debian! :)

AaronW said: The issue with the OSs, just to expand on that, is the 10G network cards. They're picket about the drivers, kernel options, boot options etc...

Is this 10G? Hmmm!

Another thing, tried to disable dynamic CPU throotle, it seems it didn't work. Must be a setting in the BIOS, that's why I need IPMI @AaronW :P:

MarkTurner said: You can avoid this as you are not using them, by just popping the mezzanine card off the motherboard

We are using them. The 1G port is back end management and the 10G is the primary interface.

• MrGeneral said: They do not.

"Whatever is on the OS drop down list is what is available on this hardware. No IPMI or kvm's you can load sysrecd through our client portal. "

You're going to be SOL then if you screw up your network configs or running something like Windows and it goes into 'recovery' mode

AaronW said: We are using them. The 1G port is back end management and the 10G is the primary interface.

The 1GE is also presented to the system so you can use that instead. On your website you are only offering gigabit on these system so no point spending the money to delivery 10GE ports if you're rate limiting them anyway; that way you can pull the 10GE cards out and avoid the driver problems you mention.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

MrGeneral said: I can help beta test it? We really need Debian! :)

Since my guy got the sysrec cd going he thinks he can get Debian for you tomorrow.

MrGeneral said: Is this 10G? Hmmm!

Yes and no. Don't get to excited. :) The server is advertised as 1Gbit. The main network interface is 10G but it's ratelimited to 1.

There will be an upgrade option to open the port to 10G in the near future.

AaronW said: Since my guy got the sysrec cd going he thinks he can get Debian for you tomorrow.

Cool, sent you a PM.

@AaronW said:
    Yes and no. Don't get to excited. :) The server is advertised as 1Gbit. The main network interface is 10G but it's ratelimited to 1.

Yeah, I can see that :-(... But that's great for us... We'll upgrade to 10G soon! ahah!

Now please, get me IPMI, please!

edited March 2016

Network Benchmark, awesome bench!

Benchmark started on Thu Mar 17 18:40:15 CDT 2016
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz
    CPU Cores       : 32
    Frequency       : 1626.117 MHz
    Memory          : 96661 MB
    Swap            : 90 MB
    Uptime          : 12 min,

OS              : Ubuntu 15.04
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 3.19.0-51-generic
    Hostname        : s84618

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 69.197.xx.xx

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        14.8MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          59.9MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       68.4MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       40.6MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       41.0MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       4.64MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          13.6MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       9.82MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         17.0MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        188MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 408 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 409 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 407 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 408 MB/s

Thanked by 1sin

MarkTurner said: The 1GE is also presented to the system so you can use that instead. On your website you are only offering gigabit on these system so no point spending the money to delivery 10GE ports if you're rate limiting them anyway; that way you can pull the 10GE cards out and avoid the driver problems you mention.

You are correct. We chose to isolate the management interface and spend the extra time to get the 10G interfaces working. The cost per machine verses the value we think it will add was not that much.

MrGeneral said: Network Benchmark, awesome bench!

I would recommend against posting your public IP if you can avoid it. :)

@AaronW said:

Sorry, edited it! :)

• sinsin Member

MrGeneral said: Network Benchmark, awesome bench!

Nice! drools wish I had that server!

@sin said:

It's nice for CPU Intensive stuff, and IO, of course!

• Are these transferrable? I'm about to cancel it because I can't get over 20 mbit/sec outgoing to any destination, but if it's transferrable, I'll gladly move it to someone.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Damian said: I can't get over 20 mbit/sec outgoing to any destination

Weird. Did you ask them about it? Here's mine:

CDN            Cachefly    14.8MB/s
    Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      18.4MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   73.1MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   34.0MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   35.7MB/s
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   38.6MB/s
    Tokyo, Japan        Linode      10.5MB/s
    Singapore       Softlayer   8.11MB/s
    Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     7.09MB/s