Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers

Comments

• AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

Mun said: when are the customers at datashack / WSI going to be notified of the new ownership? Will we be moved to a new panel? Actually, why hasn't any info been stated to the customers at all as of right now?

Are you talking about colo?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@AaronW said:
    That should tell you how much we liked colo. :)

Ahaha! Seriously? You done that?

Then, kuddos for you, :P, I did laugh when I read your reply!

As far as I know, the colocation is reliable, so they'll provide a decent service.

@AaronW said:
    The E5s aren't quite ready. Another couple days.

Look at it this way: At least I'm not promising you something, taking your money and then taking several weeks to get your servers online. We all know of providers that play that game. :)

Never said you would do that, at all. Nor do I see you or even imagine you doing such scheme.... :)

edited March 2016

@AaronW said:

What are the specs for the $49 servers?

Can we upgrade later? Might start with that one.

Edit: Just read the specs. I wish I could upgrade the RAM and 1TB SSD to reflect the 99$ at a later time, since I'll be benchmarking those for now, and won't be set as production yet.

MrGeneral said: Never said you would do that, at all. Nor do I see you or even imagine you doing such scheme.... :)

I wasn't accusing you of accusing us. :) I was just pointing out that some providers like to put stuff up for sale before it's ready, take your money and make you wait. We would prefer to make sure everything's right before we take your money. Better to make you wait with your money then without it. :)

sin said: Personally I think the most important question of all is...what happened to the live webcam link?!?!?

People like to attack it so we took it down. Plus the techs hated it.

@AaronW said:

Hehehe, yes, you can take all my money if you get me those $99 servers... But as always, I'll probably miss the link, or will get to it too late. This always happens to me.

• AaronW said: Once those are going I'm going to set up a rack with the $49 servers.

Sorry for my poor reading comprehension but : 1) you set 500 E's at 99 bucks 2)when sold you set another set with a tad lower specs for $49?

if so that's pretty much wow

• @MrGeneral said:
    It has been like that for a long, long time... They even share, or shared their staff to reply to the tickers... It's the same company.

They do share a lot but they're not the same company, for example they share the same DC so the support staff do answer tickets for both companies (a.k.a they share local staff)

@Mun said:
    AaronW when are the customers at datashack / WSI going to be notified of the new ownership? Will we be moved to a new panel? Actually, why hasn't any info been stated to

the customers at all as of right now?

Only the colo customers of WSI (& DS?) got moved to another company and i'm pretty sure those who were affected by it, got a heads up so they could stay in the same DC with a new owner/company or move.

If you're referring to something else (upcoming change of ownership?) then my above answer is of no use.

@dcc said:
    In our case the server would completely shut down (power off) and we had to contact support to have it started. So a bit different it seems. However the issue was getting progressively worse so it could very well be the same system.

I have a AMD248 which have turned it self off (power off/down) twice since i got it about 3 months ago so there's something not 100% with some of those 248 boxes, i think i read somewhere here on LET another person having a issue with a 248 box too (not @sin)

Thanked by 1MikePT

ManofServer said: any chance of getting a Windows install on a C2Q with my own license (I have a 7 Home and 2012R2 Standard)? It's okay if it's not possible, I'll keep using Debian in that case.

We don't have a Windows image for the C2D and we don't have a mechanism for customers to load their own. Debian is better anyway. :)

MrGeneral said: In the past, 6 years ago, I remember the support was friendly.

That's not good. Who did you talk to that wasn't friendly?

MrGeneral said: No colocation plans with them now. So, you can only rent servers which, for example the E5, no one can beat their prices. It's unrealistic. But here I am just questioning, I don't want them to disappear. Aaron knows I enjoy their service, and being a very old customer, established some sort of affection for WSI.

Several years ago we decided to lease some servers through a leasing company that handles everyone from Volumedrive to Softlayer. We ran into some snags because the credit people kept questioning our financials. When I asked our leasing guy about it he said that they couldn't believe how high our margins were and that was why they thought we were cooking our books. He said our margins were the highest they had ever seen in our business. We had to jump through a bunch of hoops to prove to them that we weren't trying to scam them but finally they realized the numbers were accurate.

We're doing okay. Our prices are very sustainable.

inthecloudblog said: Sorry for my poor reading comprehension but : 1) you set 500 E's at 99 bucks 2)when sold you set another set with a tad lower specs for $49?

No. I'm going to set up 4 racks with $99 servers and 1 with $49 servers. The speed of sales will determine how the rest are set up. We are also looking at doing a couple different configs between those two and one with 128GB and either 2x 1TB SSDs or 1x 2TB SSD for around the $149 range.

zrunner said: Only the colo customers of WSI (& DS?) got moved to another company and i'm pretty sure those who were affected by it, got a heads up so they could stay in the same DC with a new owner/company or move.

DS dumped it's colo over a year ago. It used to be colo only, before it was called DataShack.

We officially ceased servicing colo clients located at the Oak facility on February 1. If you weren't notified then you were at the Clay facility and we kept you. It was mainly local colo at Oak.

zrunner said: I have a AMD248 which have turned it self off (power off/down) twice since i got it about 3 months ago so there's something not 100% with some of those 248 boxes, i think i read somewhere here on LET another person having a issue with a 248 box too

That's not good. If any of you experience this send me the ticket numbers so I can make sure it's looked into more closely.

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

@AaronW said:
    That's not good. If any of you experience this send me the ticket numbers so I can make sure it's looked into more closely.

Message sent

• By the way @AaronW these E5 machines will have IPMI right?

edited March 2016

@AaronW said:

Well, they were like...not bothering for losing a client (feel free to read my tickets).
    Maybe I'm too used to friendly support. I'm not saying they aren't professional. Even though that, not bothering about cancelling a server due to their reply regarding instant servers that I needed, isn't professional, which you apologized for... I ended up ordering it, one or two days ago. You were my first Dedicated Server provider (that I rent, directly), back in 2010. I want to, one day, be able to say that I've been your client for 30 years... However, for that to happen, I do appreciate a friendly support with a personal touch. Right now, they reply like robots.

@AaronW said:

Understood, thank you for clarifying!

@Setsura said:
    By the way AaronW these E5 machines will have IPMI right?

They told me there is no IPMI... Got a dual 5420, I'd love IPMI in any server, but they did mention that the pre-configured servers do not have it, at least they do not provide it. I wish...

MrGeneral said: @Setsura said: By the way AaronW these E5 machines will have IPMI right?

They told me there is no IPMI... Got a dual 5420, I'd love IPMI in any server, but they did mention that the pre-configured servers do not have it, at least they do not provide it. I wish...

Some of the servers we have had an old, insecure version of IPMI that we just couldn't secure so instead of leave those exposed we isolated them on a back end network. It's how we do reboots (Since some of our blade systems share power supplies) and reloads.

The E5s have DCMI as per the Opencompute 2.0 standard. DCMI is a scaled down version of IPMI which basically allows for limited control remotely. We've isolated that as well and are using it for rebooting/reloading of systems. It's not customer facing except through our billing system.

Thanked by 1MikePT

Kind of screwed up the quotes on that last post.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @AaronW how long does it take to implement ipv6?

tenpera said: how long does it take to implement ipv6?

On a server? It's a tier 2 tech function so the lead night tech will get it done.

• @AaronW thanks.

• SirusSirus Member

DediSpec http://dedispec.com/ (Through WholeSaleInternet) has some $13/mo servers in.

Intel Core Duo Atom (2c/2t) @ 1.60Ghz
    2GB DDR2 Ram
    500GB Hdd
    100Mbit Unmetered (Line WSI Actually 1Gbps)

I've had one of these for a few months and am very happy with it.

• sinsin Member

tenpera said: how long does it take to implement ipv6?

Not long, usually under 2 or 3 hours.

@AaronW said:

Thank you for your prompt responses! :)
    Makes sense, totally.

Cheers

Sirus said: DediSpec http://dedispec.com/ (Through WholeSaleInternet) has some $13/mo servers in. Intel Core Duo Atom (2c/2t) @ 1.60Ghz 2GB DDR2 Ram 500GB Hdd 100Mbit Unmetered (Line WSI Actually 1Gbps) I've had one of these for a few months and am very happy with it.

They're good guys. The reason we advertise the Atoms and C2Ds with 100Mbit and not Gbit is because some of the older boards only have 100Mbit cards. The majority have 1Gbit but we don't want to make people unhappy. Better to order 100Mbit and get 1Gbit then the other way around. :)

@Aarow,

Just check my latest ticket. Asked if you guys do custom, or a specific configuration I'd need fast.

Ended up, being told that instant provision servers can't have custom hdd's etc, which I know, but I didn't ask for it to do custom.

My last reply:

"Hi Jon,

Very unfortunate you can't do custom, even basic disks... :-("

What did you guys do?

Closed my ticket without reply.
    So, definitely, not a proper response. I'm evaluating if I should order more servers as I was to, or not. Probably not. Not a decent customer support, with proper responses, there's no customer care.