Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers

Comments

• @2khosts said:
    Not bad plenty of uses for a cheap price i guess.

@jarland @ishaq @Amitz (forgot raindogs number) can you guys look.at this account lots of spamming for post count

• @ggeu03 said:
    jarland ishaq Amitz (forgot raindogs number) can you guys look.at this account lots of spamming for post count

As far as i am aware i am just another user posting comments that are not harming anyone.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ggeu03 said: @jarland @ishaq @Amitz (forgot raindogs number) can you guys look.at this account lots of spamming for post count

How about you don't ban evade?

• @Ishaq said:
    How about you don't ban evade?

Oh my god, he is that god damn Tom......

• AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

@iwaswrongonce said:
    AaronW You may not be hurting for the biz, but hell if you could have inventory a bit more consistently and get your metering to differentiate between internal vs external, you'd have interest from a whole new market segment.

We're not hurting for business but we're not in the habit of turning it away either. We do have a mechanism in place for people that do a lot of inter-DC traffic. If you need servers we'll figure out a way to make it happen.

@inthecloudblog said:
    I think he must have the oak tower fully bloated of servers lol and most likely he will just stick to the formula he knows works best for him. I'd also love to be able to make a pool of bw from all the boxes I own but I guess that's not feasible

Actually we're not in Oak Tower any more. We moved in with DataShack in North Kansas City about 2 years ago. We kind of outgrew Oak. :)

As I said in the last post, we do have a mechanism for internal bandwidth vs external bandwidth metering. It runs outside our normal systems so we don't advertise it or even do it that often but if it's something you need, let me know.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Ugh I should have just grabbed that atom that was in stock for a minute

@iwaswrongonce said:
    I don't want a pool of bandwidth. In fact, I would rather trade him 20TB BW for unmetered internal BW. He is at a price point where people who just want the hardware and power would be all over him. Doing map/reduce-esque type of workloads, I need very little external bandwidth. Maybe a few TB/cluster/mo to load in external data (again, counting ingress is a bit odd given asymmetry of typical DC). I am still a few months out from locking in a provider, but if WSI could offer me 20 of the 96gb servers w/ unlimited internal BW...I would tell our investors we had locked up a provider and be done with it. But now we are forced to look at OVH in CA/FR which means our legal/compliance has to get involved since it opens us up to new regulations.

For 20 boxes of the same config we'd just put them on their own VLAN. Any traffic between them wouldn't show up on our traffic counters.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • sinsin Member
    edited March 2016

Just picked up a 2nd $10 server (glad I waited, I was really close to just settling for an atom when the core2duo popped up), this time I went for the Core2Duo - got a E7300 and love it so far. I will probably get rid of the $10 AMD one because I was never able to solve all the issues I was having with it.

The remote reboot and reload features that Wholesaleinternet put in is great! Anyone know if Datashack has the same thing now?

• Grrr how do you guys catch those $10 server, I refresh every other day and miss them :/

• OldkyOldky Member

@ManofServer said:

Can you catch luck, if you write in the waiting list https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/out-of-stock/?id=250

enter your email address to be notified when this server is back in stock

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2016

ManofServer said: Grrr how do you guys catch those $10 server, I refresh every other day and miss them :/

Lots of refreshing! I keep a tab open in Firefox on Wholesale's websites and while I browse I will switch to that tab and refresh it every so often. As soon as you see one available you have to order it relatively quickly..like last night I refreshed the site and saw one available and clicked to order it asap and it kicked me back to the homepage because it was no longer available lol. This morning I got lucky though.

Thanked by 2ManofServer AaronW
  • entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

@ManofServer said:
    Grrr how do you guys catch those $10 server, I refresh every other day and miss them :/

Make a program that monitors the page every 60 seconds and speaks to you when there is stock :D

@sin said:
    The remote reboot and reload features that Wholesaleinternet put in is great! Anyone know if Datashack has the same thing now?

DataShack is still rolling it out. They had a little more work to do than we did to implement it.

If you look at your service there is a location identifier. If it starts with S1 then reboots and reloads are available for you. Your server might not be set up for them yet but if you open a ticket and request they be added the techs can do that. They'll need to take the box offline for a couple minutes to get it in the system.

Thanked by 1sin

@ManofServer said:
    Grrr how do you guys catch those $10 server, I refresh every other day and miss them :/

They go fast when they're available. I can tell you that as of this post there are 2 Core2Duo's and 1 AMD248 being wiped and tested by the system. It normally takes a couple hours and then they'll be put back on the site for sale.

We're averaging 2 or 3 a day that get recycled.

Thanked by 1ManofServer

@AaronW said:

Any news on the E5 cheaper config?

@entrailz said:
    Any news on the E5 cheaper config?

Because the 10G ports on the access layer is something new to us we've had to deploy new 40G and 100G switches. We also have some power modifications that need to be made in that section. Power should be done Thursday and Network will be done Friday.

trust me, we want them on as bad as you. I ordered 2000 of these things to be delivered 500 per month over 4 months. My second batch just showed up this morning before the first batch is even cabled up. :(

@AaronW said:

Ah okay! Looks like you have a fair amount to rack haha, so I assume the first batch maybe start of next week?

@entrailz said:
    Ah okay! Looks like you have a fair amount to rack haha, so I assume the first batch maybe start of next week?

That's the plan. :)

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2016

Here's a geekbench of the Wholesaleinternet Core2Duo I picked up today:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5469081

Really like it, it's a little beast :)

Thanked by 22khosts AaronW
  • @sin said:
    Here's a geekbench of the Wholesaleinternet Core2Duo I picked up today:
    http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5469081

Really like it, it's a little beast :)

Huh..

Dell Inc. OptiPlex 760

Using towers on bread racks for the C2D machines I guess?

• @mikeyur said:
    Using towers on bread racks for the C2D machines I guess?

That's just how I imagined them. Towers FTW.

I set my auto-refresh now, so hopefully I'll catch one of those 2 C2D's that are waiting for provisioning :p

mikeyur said: Using towers on bread racks for the C2D machines I guess?

All the C2Ds are desktops as are the Atoms, I3s, I5s and most of the I7s. All the Xeons and Opterons are either 1U rackmounts, blade systems or open compute form factors.

Thanked by 2Kris mike0000
  • ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited March 2016

I finally managed to snatch the C2D this morning after keeping a tab on auto-refresh in my right monitor for about 10 hours.

I went outside the house to purchase a 2L bottle of Coke Zero, so I can calmly work on setting up Proxmox and do my NAT boxes.

Unfortunately, fate had a different plan for me, as when I came home my payment got promptly refunded :( I still drank the bottle, though.

Anyway, I received an email tip telling me to buy in PayPal instead of CC.

The C2D I bought was missing but I caught a C2Q. Paid in PayPal and all went well this time! Didn't have to wait at all, payment got automatically accepted, I guess my account was already verified from the CC payment. OS is installing as we speak.

Very happy :D

• I been with WSI for 8 years (since 04/01/2008) generally not had any problems with them, sure over these 8 years they (bound to) have had power and network issues and one thing i complained about is the lack of information when a outage just happened or is ongoing.

I just checked the client-portal and i have a total of 27 tickets over these 8 years and those are including, "your new server info" tickets, some sales and billing tickets.

For nostalgia this was my first server with them: P3 733Mhz, 256MB RAM, 40GB, 500GB Transfer.

And if me and @AaronW both get a deal that we're happy over i'll mostl-likely get three 10$ servers returned into the automated preconfig system.

zrunner said: For nostalgia this was my first server with them: P3 733Mhz, 256MB RAM, 40GB, 500GB Transfer.

We still have customers on some of those servers. They were some of the first ones we got 15 years ago.

• blackblack Member

AaronW said: We still have customers on some of those servers. They were some of the first ones we got 15 years ago.

Upgrade them to a C2D for free :P

• sinsin Member

ManofServer said: Very happy :D

Nice! I saw that Quad in-stock earlier, glad you got it!

Thanked by 2ManofServer AaronW
  • @black said:

And you ruin the nostalgia!

black said: Upgrade them to a C2D for free :P

We've offered them upgrades over the years. They (There are 3 left I think) are still paying $50 a month for them and they refuse to move to something else. They have the stuff set up, it's working and they don't want to jinx it I guess.