Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%). - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%).

Comments

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited September 2015

@Maniac said:
    Any chance of running Docker on these?

Got one and they have a Docker 1.8.1 image, installed it, works fine.

~# docker run -ti armv7/armhf-ubuntu /bin/bash

>

root@a78fc699cad2:/# ls

>

bin boot dev etc home lib media mnt opt proc root run sbin srv sys tmp usr var

Thanked by 1Maniac
  • It seems infinite storage is no longer listed on their pricing page:
    https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

• @boernd said:
    It seems infinite storage is no longer listed on their pricing page:
    https://www.scaleway.com/pricing/

Would be great to replace it with OpenStack, but it is only dream....

• @bene_online

I really wish I can deposit funds then when I want to create a server it deducts the balance, I hate paying monthly from debit card, I rather do for example a 10 dollar deposit and when I finally decide to use it I have the money there.

Is there a chance this can be added.

Thanked by 2Anna_Parker korobkov
  • Grabbed a C1 as well. I think it's a great deal for developing and testing or stuff that will eat up a lot of traffic. Over 60TB included, that's quite a bunch.

• nice~ and thx

• edited September 2015

Type of storage and space? Bw? Network?
    I'd need to install deluge and nginx .Im on my mobile.
    Also interested in renting a few to serve as receivers of my online.net dedi servers.
    Will try them tomorrow.

• @inthecloudblog said:
    Type of storage and space? Bw? Network?
    I'd need to install deluge and nginx .Im on my mobile.
    Tldr : Should I rent one?

Most of your answers are on page 2 of this thread.
    I dunno about deluge but they include an image of ruTorrent, comes with 150gb of space for 5euro.

https://www.scaleway.com/imagehub/torrents/

• edited September 2015

@Umcookies said:

Thanks will revisit the thread!
    Any clue if bind would be fine?
    Edit:
    Why does htop show 2 cores ?
    "Each C1 server has a CPU with 4 dedicated ARM cores,"

I see bw is unmetered.

Storage is ssd . how much space?

I'll install deluge in the dedis :)

• UmcookiesUmcookies Member
    edited September 2015

I'm afraid I'm out of useful information, haven't got one myself. Just going by what I've seen in this thread so far.

Going by this post you do get 4 cores, http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1249316/#Comment_1249316

EDIT: Standard C1 server is 50gb of space, the torrent server comes with 150gb of space. So fairly decent.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Anything else?

• used online labs during the beta and it was pretty great, however I couldn't value it 10 euro per month. However 3 euro seems reasonable.

• (For someone who is doing a torrent/nginx seedbox) These are my initial thoughts:
    Originally created an instance with Debian 8, it was a bad choice. Even though Transmission worked just fine, Nginx would not install and kept giving errors, after lots of reading, ended up switching to Lighttpd. Also a bad choice, the downloads from the server to me were horrendously slow. Still couldn't figure out why.

Made another instance, this time with Ubuntu 15.04. Everything works perfectly. Nginx and Transmission make a good combo, and downloads max out my line now. All software packages so far worked with no errors.

If this continues I plan to drop my Netherlands torrent server for this instead, however the performance seems a little slow honestly.

• How are the disks set up? You get a dedicated 50 GB SSD? How many iops?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

black said: How are the disks set up? You get a dedicated 50 GB SSD? How many iops?

You get 50 GB of SSD space accessed via network (NBD protocol), so it is a SAN setup.
    As for the performance, you could check yourself at http://instantcloud.io/

• The storage is now 'coming soon'...

@bene_online do you know when it will be ready / stable?

Thanks

• shame they removed the normal HDD that you could attach to your server as in the beta, i would love that again..

Thanked by 1korobkov
  • Is this a good choice for a production environment currently running on cloud servers?(I just don't want it to go poof and disappear) I'll handle the redundancy part myself.

Also, on their homepage it says "Run up to 10 BareMetal SSD cloud servers for free", I see no mention of that in their panel.

Also, would the different CPU architecture cause incompatibility issues for apps? I have a couple Ruby, Python and JavaScripts I would like to run.

• @faultyservers said:
    Also, on their homepage it says "Run up to 10 BareMetal SSD cloud servers for free", I see no mention of that in their panel.

I have a hunch that's in reference to the 10 server limit you can start on a new, unconfirmed account.
    This one:
    https://www.scaleway.com/faq/general/#-Is-there-limits-on-the-number-of-ressources-I-can-have

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

I think that their advertising of "have 10 servers for free" is damn misleading for a peasant like myself. Free means not paying for it in terms of servers for me. Free is also different for software(beer and speech etc).

I think they refer to their pricing over 500 hours a month being "free". Their monthly pricing is capped 500 hours x their hourly rate to be 2.99.

Still, their advertising on online.net is deceptive.

faultyservers said: Is this a good choice for a production environment currently running on cloud servers?(I just don't want it to go poof and disappear) I'll handle the redundancy part myself.Also, on their homepage it says "Run up to 10 BareMetal SSD cloud servers for free", I see no mention of that in their panel.Also, would the different CPU architecture cause incompatibility issues for apps? I have a couple Ruby, Python and JavaScripts I would like to run.

Umcookies said: I have a hunch that's in reference to the 10 server limit you can start on a new, unconfirmed account.This one:https://www.scaleway.com/faq/general/#-Is-there-limits-on-the-number-of-ressources-I-can-have

As for IO speed tests, I got around 90MB/s.

• @GM2015 said:
    I think that their advertising of "have 10 servers for free" is damn misleading for a peasant like myself. Free means not paying for it in terms of servers for me. Free is also different for software(beer and speech etc).

I think they refer to their pricing over 500 hours a month being "free". Their monthly pricing is capped 500 hours x their hourly rate to be 2.99.

Still, their advertising on online.net is deceptive.

these are references to old prices and offers, it will be updated soonish (some of it being pictures, we need our designers to update them so it takes a bit more time than editing html but it's coming)

Mik

• @mikmak said:
    Mik

I am running on completely stock Chrome, and I seem to get logged out every so often. Could you add a "Remember Me" function or something?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Got one to put Vesta on. Quickly found out it won;t work on ARM. Installed Webmin instead and remembered why I like Vesta so much.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • Any account credit/coupon code for new users?

• @squibs said:
    Got one to put Vesta on. Quickly found out it won;t work on ARM. Installed Webmin instead and remembered why I like Vesta so much.

Yeah, I really wish more stuff was ARM compatible.

• Can ARM platform support virtualization and/or openvz?

• @chinmoy said:
    Any account credit/coupon code for new users?

Nope. Registered today. You have to pay!

• @jvnadr said:
    Can ARM platform support virtualization and/or openvz?

You could run QEMU I suppose, but since openvz requires a custom kernel, that probably wouldn't work, since Scaleway boots off of PXE and uses a customized kernel.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

jvnadr said: virtualization and/or openvz?

There is no OpenVZ kernel for ARM, however you should be able to use LXC.

There is also KVM for ARM, but I'm not sure if it works on this particular hardware.

• @faultyservers I have starting playing with that, but qemu seem to create issues when opening the machine. I'll update Iif I manage to configure and actually use it.
    @rm_ The new virtuozzo 7 open source kernel (the successor of openvz) seem to have arm architecture support, though, any details or config manual / examples are non existing... Maybe it is too early.
    Virtualization is a great way to easy and safely backup and move a whole server insfastructure, so, it could be nice if those arm servers can support some kind of virtualization that support live snapshots.