Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%). - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%).

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2015

There was some Russian company offering full x86 virtualization / emulation on ARM, by their words it is supposed to outperform qemu several times. I haven't tried it myself.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2015

QEMU can only use one core, what basically means the performance would be shit.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jvnadr said:
    Virtualization is a great way to easy and safely backup and move a whole server insfastructure, so, it could be nice if those arm servers can support some kind of virtualization that support live snapshots.

You can use Docker.

• @deadbeef Yes, I know, but I prefer using a real virtualization or a portable openvz shapshot, I am more familiar with...

• rm_ said: This is wrong as well. And the wrong source for comparison. Just stop already, I can't get from under my facepalms at your posts.

Less insulty more explainy psl

Thanked by 1trexos
  • VPSensationalVPSensational Member
    edited September 2015

Quick question about these boxes: why do they not traceroute fully?

Traceroute to a regular online.net box:

traceroute to 62.*.*.* (62.*.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets [local ISP stuff] 7 prs-bb3-link.telia.net (62.115.134.100) 21.443 ms prs-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.247.240) 22.024 ms 23.035 ms 8 prs-b8-link.telia.net (213.155.131.9) 24.759 ms prs-b8-link.telia.net (213.155.136.207) 25.387 ms prs-b8-link.telia.net (213.155.131.15) 26.248 ms 9 online-ic-305116-prs-b8.c.telia.net (62.115.40.86) 29.339 ms 29.959 ms 30.451 ms 10 195.154.1.57 (195.154.1.57) 30.811 ms 32.033 ms 33.038 ms 11 62-*-*-*.rev.poneytelecom.eu (62.*.*.*) 34.024 ms 34.623 ms 20.853 ms

Traceroute to a Scaleway box:

traceroute to 212.*.*.* (212.*.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets [local ISP stuff] 7 prs-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.247.240) 123.923 ms prs-bb3-link.telia.net (62.115.134.102) 22.877 ms prs-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.246.177) 23.379 ms 8 prs-b8-link.telia.net (213.155.131.15) 24.607 ms prs-b8-link.telia.net (213.155.131.11) 25.591 ms prs-b8-link.telia.net (213.155.131.17) 26.579 ms 9 online-ic-305116-prs-b8.c.telia.net (62.115.40.86) 29.834 ms 28.823 ms 30.306 ms 10 195.154.1.41 (195.154.1.41) 31.154 ms 31.891 ms 32.400 ms 11 * * * 12 * * * 13 * * *

The traceroute never reaches the actual Scaleway server. It's almost as if they are sitting behind something that is blocking ICMP. What is going on?

• well firstly it's sorta a fixed nat and secondly probably a firewall

• Given that your root filesystem (unencrypted) and Internet access are going over the same Ethernet+IP (an RFC1918 address), firewalling is a welcome addition :). Surprised they drop ICMP altogether though.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    well firstly it's sorta a fixed nat and secondly probably a firewall

Shouldn't it really be up to the user to set up their own firewall? It's usually the user's responsibility to secure their VPS or dedi, not the host's. Why are these boxes sitting behind NAT?

• CFarenceCFarence Member
    edited September 2015

Scaleway FAQ

"Why do I have a private IP?
    We chose to use NAT for IPv4 addresses.

We use the NAT to get movable IP addresses which help us face the shortening of IPv4 addresses.

We implemented a custom solution to provide line-rate NAT."

I would rather not have NAT but it is what it is and it seems to be working for most things.

• CFarence said: We use the NAT to get movable IP addresses which help us face the shortening of IPv4 addresses.

It would help a lot more if they gave you an incentive not to take a public IP - like giving you /any/ sort of discount for an instance with no public IP.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

VPSensational said: The traceroute never reaches the actual Scaleway server. It's almost as if they are sitting behind something that is blocking ICMP.

Did you try mtr? Seriously, who uses traceroute anymore, and what for???

I just got a free trial at http://instantcloud.io/ and can successfully mtr the server IP it gave me.

Thanked by 1tehdan
  • @tehdan said:
    It would help a lot more if they gave you an incentive not to take a public IP - like giving you /any/ sort of discount for an instance with no public IP.

You can have instances without public ips, but you need at least 1 with public IP.

• @tehdan said:

I was looking for the same thing, why would I not take a public IP if it costs the same.

"It allows you to optimize your costs and to fight the global IPv4 shortage."

I don't see how it optimizes "your" costs since they don't directly say anything about the price will change.

• @deadbeef I understand how it works. I'm was observing that there doesn't seem to be any incentive not to take an IP as the cost is the same with or without.

• @tehdan said:
    deadbeef I understand how it works. I'm was observing that there doesn't seem to be any incentive not to take an IP as the cost is the same with or without.

But you pay less without the IP, so I don't get your point.

• @rm_ mtr has spoiled us - we don't even have the patience to wait for a good old-fashioned traceroute to complete these days :)

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited September 2015

@deadbeef so what is the cost for one month for a server without a public IP?

• @tehdan said:
    deadbeef so what is the cost for one month for a server without a public IP?

See this page: https://www.scaleway.com/faq/billing/

• Thanks - I stand corrected, looks like you only pay €2.00/month with no IP. That's not clear elsewhere.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@rm_ said:
    traceroute

Me :(

• Infinity580 said: QEMU can only use one core, what basically means the performance would be shit.

I have run XP on these Scaleway's machine using QEMU, works like a shit, but works enough to run any traffic exchanger, etc. ;-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Can one share a single 50GB volume with several c1 servers?

@elflord said:
    Can one share a single 50GB volume with several c1 servers?

No?

Thanked by 1elflord
  • Hi,
    Yes, the public IP costs €0,99/month. So if you start a server without public IP it will cost only 2€ (1€ for the C1 node and 1€ for the volume)

@bene_online said:
    Hi,
    Yes, the public IP costs €0,99/month. So if you start a server without public IP it will cost only 2€ (1€ for the C1 node and 1€ for the volume)

Neat!

• The problem is that you can't connect to the internet that way, only use it with another server.

NO PUBLIC IP

You can choose to have a server without any public IP. This configuration is suitable for backend applications (e.g Databases, Backups). Be aware that you will need an existing server in our infrastructure to connect to your server. This will let you optimize your costs and fight the global IPv4 shortage.

BTW, there is no way to get more RAM on an instance, right?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

bene_online said: Hi, Yes, the public IP costs €0,99/month. So if you start a server without public IP it will cost only 2€ (1€ for the C1 node and 1€ for the volume)

This is great.

scy said: BTW, there is no way to get more RAM on an instance, right?

Impossible since it is soldered on the board.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2015

@Anna_Parker but nearly 100% CPU all time or?

x86 Instances comming soon, Neat.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

But - its not cheap