Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%). - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%).

Comments

• I would use it but I read problems with PHP? Apart from lower performance what are the main disadvantages using AMR?

• If anyone is interested in a performance comparison of these servers and a Raspberry Pi 2 (running an armv7 ubuntu) let me know which benchmark you'd like to see

• You know you quoted the wrong guy there.

deadbeef said: Because they work in the mines for fun and not for lack of other work. Such gratefulness in dying from hunger.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • gsrdgrdghd said: Good news for everyone in the EU wtihout a (working) credit card: Online.net now supports direct debit from SEPA accounts, meaning that you only need a SEPA bank account to pay for your servers:

That is awesome news! :D

• @GM2015 said:
    You know you quoted the wrong guy there.

Whoops :|

• What can you NOT run on AMR CPUs? ;P

• joodle said: Well, since Online.net/Scaleway does not accept PayPal, and I do not have a CC at home, I want to have some sort of a Virtual Credit Card which I can top-up with my PayPal account

you already know the answer to this (i told you) use a paypal master card (which you can get free from them and transactions come from paypal account.

• @TarZZ92 said:

Isn't that US only?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited September 2015

deadbeef said: Isn't that US only?

no, i myself have one and i am based in the UK

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • tomletomle Member, LIR

You guys complaining about ICMP, go to the control panel and modify the security settings. Can't test it myself as I don't have access to a computer now.

• @TarZZ92 said:

How did you apply for it? On the site's FAQ, it only says about US residents.

https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/faq.shtml

Q. Who can request or purchase a PayPal Prepaid MasterCard®?
    A. Any U.S. resident or U.S. resident alien over 18 years of age with a valid Social Security number (SSN) and a verifiable physical U.S. street address may request or purchase a card. We do not offer PayPal Prepaid Cards to residents of Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, or other U.S. territories. During the card activation process you will be required to supply your name, physical street address (no P.O. Boxes), date of birth, and SSN.

• deadbeef said: How did you apply for it? On the site's FAQ, it only says about US residents.

when i log in it gave a option.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • E… I had try then arm server,not bad…

• @Gunter said:
    What are you guys using your server for? I can't find many uses for ARM servers.

Quasselcore, it will build fine from source on their ubuntu image, also switched the backend DB from sqlite to postgres and it's pretty quick now.

Kinda wish i'd have migrated the backend to postgres before today as it's sped things up considerably since doing that.

• vampireJvampireJ Member
    edited September 2015

@rm_ @mikho
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/62465/scaleway-selling-seedbox-150gb-ssd-for-4-99-month-unmetered-bandwidth <- that thread is for scaleway torrents

That thread is different than this one. Should have let that other thread open

• @vampireJ said:
    That thread is different than this one. Should have let that other thread open

It's not "scaleway torrents", it's a scaleway server, which two extra storage volumes (for 150gb of space) which is imaged with pre installed software to download torrents.

Even IF that thread was about the entire image program I'd still agree with them closing it because it's still a scaleway system.

• rm_ said: May I ask how many ARM boards have you personally owned and tested?

Just one, the Stm32F0Discovery for embedded programming.

I don't have RPi or other single-board-computer ARM boards, because I am aware of benchmarks others have performed, for example https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=32965

it takes 4-5 hrs to build the kernel on 3 of RPi's [using distcc].
    it takes 5 mins to do it on a dual core 4Gb 2.4Ghz intel machine

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited September 2015

@deadbeef said: How did you apply for it? On the site's FAQ, it only says about US residents.

Wrong question. Should have asked not "how", but "when" @TarZZ92 applied. A couple of years back, PayPal offered these cards to UK accounts for a short while. Not any more.

And speaking of debit cards, has anyone here successfully paid for this using the Skrill MasterCard?

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • rm_ said: I am not in the tiniest bit interested in what you "think", and you don't seem to have much to post in the way of what you know.

Found some actual benchmarks:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8471167

In single-threaded integer computation, these things are apparently a whooping 18 times slower than a proper server. In the same thread, C1 takes a serious beating from another ARM implementation! One does not have to think very hard to see why others have not jumped on the same bandwagon as Scaleway.

• @sandro said:
    I would use it but I read problems with PHP? Apart from lower performance what are the main disadvantages using AMR?

PHP works on Ubuntu and Apache2, using FPM (you'll need mod_proxy_fcgi) or just mod_php.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@singsing said:
    In single-threaded integer computation, these things are apparently a whooping 18 times slower than a proper server. In the same thread, C1 takes a serious beating from another ARM implementation! One does not have to think very hard to see why others have not jumped on the same bandwagon as Scaleway.

Yeah, but 5W beats anything

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

netomx said: Yeah, but 5W beats anything

If you tune your code to run well on a particular ARM chip, then you can indeed achieve much better power efficiency and hardware cost reductions vs x86. But your calculation better be highly parallelizable, or the results won't come out for a much longer time.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@singsing said:
    If you tune your code to run well on a particular ARM chip, then you can indeed achieve much better power efficiency and hardware cost reductions vs x86. But your calculation better be highly parallelizable, or the results won't come out for a much longer time.

Why not? It doesn't even make sense what you said. The board will not consume more than 5W (maybe 10W to be sure)

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • EkaatyLinux said: PHP works on Ubuntu and Apache2, using FPM (you'll need mod_proxy_fcgi) or just mod_php.

>

What about nginx? I mean... is there a compatibility list for ARM CPUs regarding softwares? I read that packages must be ARM-compatible so I bet a lot of things won't work on these servers.

• PayPal: "Sorry, you're not eligible for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. This may be because you live outside the United States or you've already applied in the last 30 days"

• PayPal: "Sorry, you're not eligible for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. This may be because you live outside the United States or you've already applied in the last 30 days"

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2015

sandro said: What about nginx? I mean... is there a compatibility list for ARM CPUs regarding softwares? I read that packages must be ARM-compatible so I bet a lot of things won't work on these servers.

You need to go do some more reading. At this point 90% of all standard packages which are found in Debian, Ubuntu and Arch (and likely some other dists.) have already been recompiled for Arm and fully support Arm architecture (are available using apt-get, etc). There isn't much that won't run on it. In some cases it may be extra work to compile things, but most things should be compatible. Remember, boards like Raspberry Pi, Banana Pi and Cubieboard all use Armv6/Armv7 and can pretty much run a full system. These boards are similar, just they have been custom built and developed for easier deployment and to be run in a datacenter environment. There are a few differences in the tool-chain, but for the most part, it is the same as other Arm boards out there.

The biggest difference in the case of these is you can't change your kernel, they load the kernel from TFTP at boot time as your root volume is located on a network mounted storage (ndb). So that is a little bit limiting for some things, but for the most part shouldn't be an issue for most people.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited September 2015

@TheLinuxBug said:
    At this point 90% of all standard packages which are found in Debian, Ubuntu and Arch (and likely some other dists.)

You're right. And if you can't find the proper package you can always build your own from source. On Ubuntu one of the missing packages is libapache2-mod-fastcgi (that's because I said you should use mod_proxy_fcgi).

EDIT: libapache2-mod-fastcgi is at multiverse, sorry.

• aglodek said: PayPal: "Sorry, you're not eligible for the PayPal Debit MasterCard®. This may be because you live outside the United States or you've already applied in the last 30 days"

Strange.. it's even a UK link