Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%). - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%).

Comments

• Nyr said: Impossible since it is soldered on the board.

Sad, that would have been great for huge databases; even though the computing power might be the bottleneck...

• @scy said:

Cluster and shard. Problem solved.

Thanked by 1scy
  • scyscy Member
    edited September 2015

deadbeef said: Cluster and shard. Problem solved.

Sweet. Thanks! Many fun things seem possible with those little boxes... without the need to pay for an external ip for each box it makes a great platform to experiment with some physical isolation / clustering...

• Someone may be interested.
    There is sw called ExaGear Desktop which allow to run x86 apps on ARM. This is like Qemu but much more faster.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • rm_ said: These should be 5-10x faster per each core than a Raspberry Pi (1).

Mind sharing your source for this? I can't find on their site exactly what ARM model they are using. I find this hard to believe because the Raspberry Pi 1 was 700MHz RISC, effectively equivalent to 300 MHz Pentium (notice the more than 2x clock de-rating factor from a RISC architecture to a proper implementation of x86). While you can clock ARM up to 2GHz and a little bit beyond, I can't see where 10x can possibly come from.

• What are you guys using your server for? I can't find many uses for ARM servers.

• It's a 3EUR/month server. It's cool to have, even if you don't use it. And i think one can always find a use for a 3EUR/month server.

Thanked by 2netomx mpkossen
  • singsing said: I can't find on their site exactly what ARM model they are using.

It's a Marvell Armada-XP.

• rds100 said: It's cool to have, even if you don't use it.

Well, if you don't use it, better not have it: you save finite earth resources (and slave-like work in mines and factory) for future human beings. They might be grateful.

@Gunter: it could host sites with not-that-much traffic, be used for seedboxes (they even provide a template for that!), DNS servers, allow to experiment with redundancy, clustering and the like.

• I will be testing different webservers and stuff on these

• @GM2015 said:
    (and slave-like work in mines and factory) for future human beings. They might be grateful.

Because they work in the mines for fun and not for lack of other work. Such gratefulness in dying from hunger.

• @Gunter said:
    What are you guys using your server for? I can't find many uses for ARM servers.

Database hosting.

• Am I correct that there is no IPv6 yet?

Thanked by 1apdo
  • @mpkossen said:
    Am I correct that there is no IPv6 yet?

yes, no IPv6 yet. Also no configuring of more RAM or tiers.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

Dylan said: It's a Marvell Armada-XP.

Interesting. They claim dual issue, but as we all know that that's just the best possible case and on average speedup will be at most 1.5x. So my verdict is that each core is about 3.5x faster than a Raspberry Pi 1 (and therefore roughly equivalent to a 1GHz Pentium).

• Anywhere where I can get a virtual credit card using PayPal only?

• joodle said: Anywhere where I can get a virtual credit card using PayPal only?

In a new thread perhaps? And clarify use case, as that sounds distinctly scammy?

• @singsing said:
    And clarify use case, as that sounds distinctly scammy?

Well, since Online.net/Scaleway does not accept PayPal, and I do not have a CC at home, I want to have some sort of a Virtual Credit Card which I can top-up with my PayPal account

• edited September 2015

joodle said: Well, since Online.net/Scaleway does not accept PayPal, and I do not have a CC at home, I want to have some sort of a Virtual Credit Card which I can top-up with my PayPal account

As far as I know they do not support Prepaid Credit Cards either. Although some Prepaid Credit Cards might work, it probably depends on the security features of the card and who issued it.

edited September 2015

joodle said: Well, since Online.net/Scaleway does not accept PayPal, and I do not have a CC at home, I want to have some sort of a Virtual Credit Card which I can top-up with my PayPal account

In the spirit of Let Me Google That For You, https://www.card.com/ offers a virtual MasterCard that you can top off from PayPal.

Update: Hang on it says, "debit MasterCard". That may or may not work. YMMV.

Update2: Actually Scaleway clarifies this point:

Any variant of these cards should work, be it credit cards, debit cards or virtual one-off cards.

• edited September 2015

singsing said: Any variant of these cards should work, be it credit cards, debit cards or virtual one-off cards.

Interesting, I asked one of the online.net supporters and the response I got was the one I outlined above, perhaps it is different for Scaleway but then again they say it "should" work. :)

• Both my debit cards (Visa Electron) didn't work with online.net when i tried a year ago.

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited September 2015

@rds100 said:
    Both my debit cards (Visa Electron) didn't work with online.net when i tried a year ago.

I registered with a debit a few days ago.

EDIT: (not electron)

• joodle said: Anywhere where I can get a virtual credit card using PayPal only?

Good news for everyone in the EU wtihout a (working) credit card: Online.net now supports direct debit from SEPA accounts, meaning that you only need a SEPA bank account to pay for your servers:

I don't know if this is available for Scaleway too though

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

singsing said: Mind sharing your source for this? I can't find on their site exactly what ARM model they are using. I find this hard to believe because the Raspberry Pi 1 was 700MHz RISC, effectively equivalent to 300 MHz Pentium (notice the more than 2x clock de-rating factor from a RISC architecture to a proper implementation of x86). While you can clock ARM up to 2GHz and a little bit beyond, I can't see where 10x can possibly come from.

You didn't consider (1) the ARM generations (some ancient ARM6 vs ARMv7-A), and (2) the RAM speed. At the Raspberry Pi RAM is slower than on a Pentium 100 MHz. Even the old single-core Cubieboard A10 is more than 5 times faster in RAM bandwidth (https://romanrm.net/mbw#cubieboard-allwinner-a10-mbw-122)

• gsrdgrdghd said: I don't know if this is available for Scaleway too though

Looks like this is currently only available for Online.net :/

Maybe @bene_online knows when/if SEPA payments come to Scaleway?

Actually just added the instantcloud.io RAM benchmark there (https://romanrm.net/mbw#marvell-armada-370xp-scalewaycom-instantcloudio-mbw-122), it's got 5 to 15 times higher RAM bandwidth than the Raspberry Pi.

edited September 2015

rm_ said: You didn't consider (1) the ARM generations (some ancient ARM6 vs ARMv7-A)

Newer generations aren't necessarily better. Especially with the main market for these things being phones, and battery life being in the spotlight just as much as, if not more than, performance.

rm_ said: (2) the RAM speed

You can't just add up improvements in RAM speed and improvements in CPU speed. A faster CPU needs faster RAM to feed it. A slow CPU won't benefit from a high-bandwidth memory path. It just won't be able to make any use if it in typical tasks. I estimated Marvel-XP was about 3.5x Raspberry Pi 1. So it "needs" 3.5x the RAM speed to get that. This makes it have only 34% "extra" RAM speed according to your benchmark. Doesn't sound like enough to justify bumping up 3.5x all the way to 5-10x. I don't think calculations on these systems is essentially limited by RAM -bandwidth- (though they may well be limited by RAM -latency-). The only way to find out something useful is to time a real-world benchmark, like gcc compiling the Linux kernel, on both.

• @joodle said:
    Anywhere where I can get a virtual credit card using PayPal only?

I'm using 3vcard, but that's iDeal though

edited September 2015

singsing said: Newer generations aren't necessarily better

singsing said: You can't just add up improvements in RAM speed

Blah-blah-blah... You are talking about "in general", and I know for a fact the ARMv7 is really, much better than ARM6. May I ask how many ARM boards have you personally owned and tested? I have about 8 here at home at the moment, of varying generations and performance. Also I prepare and release popular kernel and OS distributions for a few of them. Sorry I am too lazy to power on, set up and benchmark my Raspberry Pi vs the instantcloud just to "prove you wrong", but please for the love of god stop already with these "in theory" posts, I am not in the tiniest bit interested in what you "think", and you don't seem to have much to post in the way of what you know.