Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%). - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net/Scaleway reduces price of their ARM bare-metal cloud to 2,99 per month (-60%).

Comments

• Why is the network so much slower than the normal online.net network?

• bene_onlinebene_online Member
    edited September 2015

@Amitz it should not be slower at all - maybe you can open a ticket so we can have a look

• @Amitz said:
    Why is the network so much slower than the normal online.net network?]

Id guess more dense per a switch (more in a rack), larger amount of people suddenly now brought these and all running benchmarks...at the same.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited September 2015

@bene_online said:
    Amitz it should not be any slower - maybe you can open a ticket so we can have a look

Hi Bene,
    I did not try myself and judged from the "benchmarks" above. I know that all of my servers with online.net can do better than that, so I wondered...

• @Amitz said:
    I did not try myself and judged from the "benchmarks" above. I know that all of my servers with online.net can do better than that, so I wondered...

these "benchmarks" for network actually just sucks hard :)
    only your own tests can be really trusted .... sad truth

Mik

• There is no limitation on the network on our side and just tried it with a randomly started node http://paste.ee/p/snyVd

• @mikmak said:
    Mik

Yes, I know. I will spin up an instance myself now to do some testing! :-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @bene_online said:
    There is no limitation on the network on our side and just tried it with a randomly started node http://paste.ee/p/snyVd

I have no doubt that the connection to your own speedtest server is good. I wondered about the overseas speeds.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @Amitz You can see the load on our network at https://status.online.net/weathermap/

Thanked by 1grillmaster
  • They are very nippy little units, definitely worth the money at 2.99 and actually worth having a couple depending on your needs.

Thanked by 2netomx tux
  • Not bad in my opinion, I might just drop my other setup in favor of this as long as Transmission and Nginx work fine. Gotta love that price. Ping is a little high though at about ~150ms from Florida, USA

CPU model : ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)

Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2022 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 6 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 76.9MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 12.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 7.24MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 4.64MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 17.2MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 76.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.03MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 6.46MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.83MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 12.1MB/s
    I/O speed : 97.4 MB/s

• @Gulf said:
    PHP is not a one package, i can't install all packages on any OS, like Debian, Ubuntu...

I know PHP isn't a single package, it was just an example. You should be able to install any PHP package available in the Ubuntu or Debian repos.

• @bene_online are there any plans to provide ipv6 on scaleway?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Can this be used as a personal seedbox? Torrent is allowed?

• How does this compare to the dedi kidechere by onlin.net? I have never used this arm based servers... What are its potential uses? Ofcourse, can I use this for downloading torrents? What os can one typically install?

• @plumberg They seem to have a performance similar to Kidechire, but double the amount of CPU cores. You can test it at instantserver.io

• plumberg said: How does this compare to the dedi kidechere by onlin.net? I have never used this arm based servers... What are its potential uses? Ofcourse, can I use this for downloading torrents? What os can one typically install?

ARM was designed for low-power devices like cell phones at a time when running x86 on a cell phone seemed absolutely out of the question (with today's battery technologies and lower-power x86 processors it might be possible). Compared to even an Atom, the Atom will probably win hands down on performance (not that I have made any measurements myself). ARM is still a RISC architecture, meaning that it does a lot less per cycle, though some have out-of-order execution now.

I'm assuming Linux on ARM, probably a lot like having a Raspberry Pi in a data center.

You can probably download legal torrents. Most GNU/Linux software doesn't care one whit what hardware it is running on (the exception being JVM implementations with JIT).

• was using for a couple hours, great set up etc, great documentation. BUT, i am only getting 4mbs in north america. oh well.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

4n0nx said: a performance similar to Kidechire, but double the amount of CPU cores

Not double but four times, as Kidechire only has a single core.

plumberg said: What os can one typically install?

Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and Arch: https://www.scaleway.com/faq/server/#-Which-Linux-distributions-are-available

singsing said: the Atom will probably win hands down on performance

No, not really. Maybe N2800 will be a bit faster, by something like 20% at most; but e.g. Atom D425 (single core with HT)? No.

singsing said: a lot like having a Raspberry Pi in a data center.

These should be 5-10x faster per each core than a Raspberry Pi (1).

Thanked by 3vimalware ucxo sin
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Wow the network has improved as well. Definitely a nice offering now!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • x86 phones are just fine. I personally don't have one, but there are loads out there and they work.. fine.. for the most part..

• Can the scalrway online storage be mounted on a Online server?

Anyway, does the billing depends on the volume of files actually stocked on it? (Like if I store 1TB for 1 week then remove it it will adapt the billing accordingly automagically?)

Thanks

• vampireJvampireJ Member
    edited September 2015

I only see 2gb ram. What if you want more?

• rm_ said: No, not really. Maybe N2800 will be a bit faster, by something like 20% at most; but e.g. Atom D425 (single core with HT)? No.

Well, I appreciate that you have a lot of ARM cores per server. But that doesn't give me performance on non-parallelizable tasks (for example, the loooong dependency calculations APT does; probably due to inefficiencies, but still). I agree that single core sucks, but most things will not benefit at all from more than 2 cores.

• Cloud billing confuses me.

So, is this 2,99€ per month going to be recurring or is it only for the first month?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

singsing said: Well, I appreciate that you have a lot of ARM cores per server. But that doesn't give me performance on non-parallelizable tasks (for example, the loooong dependency calculations APT does; probably due to inefficiencies, but still). I agree that single core sucks, but most things will not benefit at all from more than 2 cores.

My point is that even each single core is not as slow as you seem to think. If you didn't buy one, login into the free demo and check by yourself with some CPU tests. Also IIRC if you switch to a newer kernel in the panel (4.0+) it's even faster.

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited September 2015

@ben78 said:
    Can the scalrway online storage be mounted on a Online server?

For those who might be interested by that, it seems pretty easy: https://github.com/s3fs-fuse/s3fs-fuse

Don't know the performance as I didn't test it yet

• @NateN34 said:
    Cloud billing confuses me.

So, is this 2,99€ per month going to be recurring or is it only for the first month?

always 2,99

• rm_ said: Not double but four times, as Kidechire only has a single core.

yes but it has 2 threads >.>

• 4n0nx said: yes but it has 2 threads >.>

No.

Thanked by 24n0nx TarZZ92