Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we improve LowEndTalk? - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we improve LowEndTalk?

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2015

@jbiloh said:
    Both lowendtalk.com and www.lowendtalk.com work for me. Do they not for you?

Thats what I mean, pick one and re-direct to the other... Why?

Even google has both cached and thats never good for duplicate content if you want another reason other than usability to make the change.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I'll talk about that with @sysadmin and get back to you.

Thanked by 2wych Ole_Juul
  • wychwych Member

@jbiloh said:
    I'll talk about that with sysadmin and get back to you.

Cheers bud!

• The link at the bottom of the site to Vanilla is not working.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • BruceBruce Member

@Dillybob said:
    The link at the bottom of the site to Vanilla is not working.

that broken link has been causing so much trouble for all of us. thankyou for posting that dilly

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2015

Yay, it's redirecting to www.lowendtalk.com now!

Thanks @sysadmin or whoever.

• I liked the non-www tough...

Thanked by 2NeoXiD Peroni
  • wychwych Member

@TheLonely said:
    I liked the non-www tough...

So did Google.

Thanks @SysAdmin / @jbiloh etc.

• BruceBruce Member

swap it around. redirect www.let to let

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

No problem thanks for the suggestion. :)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

The search functionality gives 403 Forbidden?

• wychwych Member

@perennate said:
    The search functionality gives 403 Forbidden?

From memory the search functionality could be exploited and was disabled when under attack.

• @sysadmin @jbiloh maybe it's better to use google search addon?
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanoogle-plugin

• Ya someone decided to hit the search this morning so that's why I disabled it. We can look into using something else soon to replace it to prevent it going forward.

• The search feature is not working...

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

It works for me :)

Won't publish here how to search since @SysAdmin didn't want people to do so. It's easy though.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • TomTom Member

@Steve111

@SysAdmin said:
    Ya someone decided to hit the search this morning so that's why I disabled it. We can look into using something else soon to replace it to prevent it going forward.

• LeeLee Veteran

If Mods are going to close threads at least state why, I am getting confused with threads that get closed then get opened again, all with no explanation. Seen a few threads go that way recently.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2015

Lee said: If Mods are going to close threads at least state why

Because?

Thread was closed after OP 3 times removed edited title by staff and put back old title - but why this need to be justified to you? Or even explained to you? Is it your thread? I may sound rude, but that's none of your business, but between staff and OP who was notified privately why.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2015

Spirit said: but why this need to be justified to you?

I don't think he was looking at is you justifying it so much as just explaining why it was locked. It's more a common courtesy thing than anything else.

• SpiritSpirit Member

"this thread was closed because op keep editing by mod edited topic back" - I am sorry, but there's really no need for that. Op is here only one who need to be poked about it. And yes, I am justifying it again which is, I am pretty sure, mistake.
    With most threads I state why I close them. Most not all. But in case I don't there's most likely some reason for that. You may be curious why, but that's it. It has nothing to do with transparency and similar big words so often used wherever looks good - it's simply not your business or matter of a public discussion what's going on between OP and staff and what OP did wrong.
    So no, I DON'T need to publicly explain why I closed every single thread (although most of the time I do that anyway).

• Spirit said: Op is here only one who need to be poked about it.

And then again, that would not be a right of the OP but a privilege you grant him/her.

This is just a frontend to a database, and you, as an admin (and mods) get to choose whether a row's value is "open" or "closed". If you grant us the privilege of adding content to the database, or justify why you changed "open" to "closed" in a row's value, then it's a privilege you've granted us. Nowhere is it written we have the right to get that information or add a new row.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited July 2015

Spirit said: I may sound rude

Yes you do you < removed >. It was a simple request.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Spirit said: "this thread was closed because op keep editing by mod edited topic back" - I am sorry, but there's really no need for that. Op is here only one who need to be poked about it. And yes, I am justifying it again which is, I am pretty sure, mistake.

With most threads I state why I close them. Most not all. But in case I don't there's most likely some reason for that. You may be curious why, but that's it. It has nothing to do with transparency and similar big words so often used wherever looks good - it's simply not your business or matter of a public discussion what's going on between OP and staff and what OP did wrong.
    So no, I DON'T need to publicly explain why I closed every single thread (although most of the time I do that anyway).

DRAMA!

Seriously you've blown this up beyond all proportion. You could have just said 'Normally I do, this time I'd didn't feel it necessary.', then drop the mic and walk away. Job done. You don't have to go nuts.

• LeeLee Veteran

Spirit said: "this thread was closed because op keep editing by mod edited topic back" - I am sorry, but there's really no need for that. Op is here only one who need to be poked about it.

And it yet again shows an out dated moderation style. If the OP kept editing the thread title then suspend/ban the OP. It has been long since proven that kicking everyone for the actions of one just does not work.

Spirit said: Is it your thread?

Is it anyones? I was posting in it, so it interests me.

Thanked by 1NeoXiD
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2015

The search bypass URL is quite obvious to any previous/current user of Vanilla.

@Traffic

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • TrafficTraffic Member
    edited July 2015

@doghouch said:
    The search bypass URL is quite obvious to any previous/current user of Vanilla.

Traffic

Actually I got it by searching for the rewrite rules needed. I used it previously, but never installed it.

• MarkGMarkG Member

Read this post, can we have a forum for beginners where we can post whatever as long as it is not offensive, about servers like far off topic thanks

• Well, you will discover the URL when you use Vanilla (disable both friendly URLs and rewrite) :)

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • @MarkG said:
    Read this post, can we have a forum for beginners where we can post whatever as long as it is not offensive, about servers like far off topic thanks

Use The Cest Pit? :P

This discussion has been closed.