Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we improve LowEndTalk? - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we improve LowEndTalk?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Spirit said:
    How does more sales (even more advertising) increase content (discussion) quality?

By adding a bit more diversity in general, its not more of the same it is allowing new and unseen (on LET) products.

• LeeLee Veteran

I feel there have been quite a few good suggestions that will increase activity, quality and new discussions. But it's clear it's not of interest so no real point wasting breath on this. For me anyway.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2015

AnthonySmith said: @Spirit no we lack diverse advertising, like I said it is a trial for 30 days nothing more, what harm can it do to try?

Nothing if you're into higher end stuff - from client perspective. Or you like to push through more sales - from company perspective.
    But generally looking yellow pages never made this place really better. Look what happened from "I found an interesting host.." old lowendbox discussion when it became new "fresh coupons today" website.

AnthonySmith said: its not more of the same it is allowing new and unseen (on LET) products.

This does not bring some extra quality to discussion just bigger Offers section (is this all what LET means today?) and even more advertisement. What about to close Offers section for one month? This would be something INTERESTING to observe :)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

To have more interesting discussions you need people willing to post and contribute to intersting topics. Nothing LET can change itself, it's the visitors that have to do this change. So the questions should perhaps be; What can LET change/upgrade/evolve to make this place more interesting so that the users create more interesting topics and discussions?
    Contests? Prices?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2015

mikho said: Contests? Prices?

There can be also other aspects, like more serious approach, changed mentality with more restricted approach of forum staff = more respect among members, less trolling/private kindergarden for anyone in a proper mood, more helpful toward newbies, etc... But those things aren't easy to achieve - community mentality can't be changed over night, I am aware of that.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS

Lets not constantly look at why not to do things eh and try something ? literally nothing to lose by trying.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2015

I don't believe in shortcuts when we're searching for long term solution (see my post above - it's just example, but that per example would be one big serious hard task, change and challenge, instead of fast raising of sales limit and hope for better, more quality forum discussion content).

edited June 2015

Why do you think trial and error is a shortcut, it is a tried and tested method?

I don't believe in not trying something because it might not work, I don't believe in the magical single long term solution you seem to want.

I am also all for your tightened moderation approach so lets test that as well and see how it impacts things.

Or how about we decide between us on some possible ideas (Or I will just review this thread and make one anyway based on popular suggestions that can be implemented without back end changes) put them to public vote (clearly the public opinion matters or this thread would not exist) and implement what ever is most popular? give it a period of time for testing and see what the outcomes are positive and negative.

Edit: I am also fine with the idea of lowering the price too to see what impact that has in case anyone is thinking this is just about sales.

Thanked by 2Lee Maximum_VPS
  • wychwych Member

We need discussions that actually prompt discussion rather than drama threads... just my 2c.

New offer limits would more than likely attract new discussions e.g. budget brings more OnApp hosts thus more discussions about OnApp etc. but in general for the longer term and more active members I feel the bulk of threads are left ignored as there is no reason for them to check the "Why was my VPS suspended" style threads.

• PwnerPwner Member

@vedran said:
    TBH, most of the suggestions here are either unrealistic or something most people don't want or just stupid.

I apologize that flagging for mobile is considered stupid.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Pwner said: I apologize that flagging for mobile is considered stupid.

Pipe down, he said 'most' not 'all'.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Nekki said:
    Pipe down, he said 'most' not 'all'.

My bad, it's still too early in the morning for me to be up.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

I have to admit that i feel like all suggestions made here are being ignored, before the original 'how to improve lowendtalk' thread got purged there were alot of good ideas in it - many pages worth of it! and yet none ever got deemed worthy by the administrators here. It's like they deem everything fine as it is, and thats totally OK with me - but why keep this thread then? if you are not open for change then dont pretend you are!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2015

Spirit said: I don't believe in shortcuts when we're searching for long term solution

Nobody likes shortcuts, but

AnthonySmith said: I don't believe in not trying something because it might not work, I don't believe in the magical single long term solution you seem to want.

^^ This is the approach you are missing. Sitting about talking and thinking then never doing will achieve nothing. Honestly @spirit you are like the 30 year long member who will never succumb to change for fear it will work and LET will stop being what you want it to be.

• @wych said:
    We need discussions that actually prompt discussion rather than drama threads... just my 2c.

Solution to this is to disallow discussion of GreenValueHost, ChicagoVPS, Hostress and Xfuse and whatever companies any of them take over next... Or push it all into a single thread and disallow any adverts from any of those people.

@Lee said:
    Nobody likes shortcuts, but

I have to agree. I think if the pricing were raised even on a trial basis you would get more advertising to quality hosts. up it to $10 and that unlocks hundreds more... Up the reseller hosting from $48/year to something like $60/year - Get some quality providers as there's only a few real quality providers on LET as they cut costs elsewhere to make it financially viable and still offer a good service. If you up the pricing we get more companies, better choice and we'll get reviews of those companies and therefore people searching for reviews for big companies with find LET... Which in turn means more members with more to offer to LET instead of the same sort of people joining (victims of GVH, CVPS and such because they're the most widely mentioned...)

All in all, prices changes maybe the $7 limit should change too, even on a trial basis.

I'd like to see more dedicated server offers aswell so would like the pricing for that to be increased ever so slightly, perhaps a maximum of $60/mo... but again start with one thing and if it works for VPS's in terms of the quality and providers we pull in then it'll ultimately work for dedicated hosting and shared hosting too!

Another thing to note is I would like more diverse adverts in terms of what's offered, what about Shoutcast hosting? What about web design?

Lots of different products on offer will bring lots of different people into LET and then it will also diverse the discussions more...

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

IThinkUFailed said: Solution to this is to disallow discussion of GreenValueHost, ChicagoVPS, Hostress and Xfuse and whatever companies any of them take over next... Or push it all into a single thread and disallow any adverts from any of those people.

+1 on this suggestion

• SpiritSpirit Member

Please stick with the topic.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

The moderation seems to need some work...

1. It seems like flags are rarely followed up on. I'd reported the obvious Cloudways shill multiple times over the past few months, and it took a PM to @AnthonySmith to actually get it removed. This is not the first time either - I've generally gotten the impression that flagged posts (eg. rule-breaking offers) are either responded to very slowly, or just outright ignored. I flag such posts with some regularity.
    2. This thread was manually set to sink for a while, quietly. Nobody from the moderation team indicated as such in the thread, or provided a reason for it in any other way. For the sake of moderation transparency, a reason should really be provided, at the very least.
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2015

joepie91 said: It seems like flags are rarely followed up on.

It may seems so, but it's not correct. It's possible that something's overlooked every now and then, and that something's dismissed by some forum staff too hasty or that with something isn't most clear why is flagged at all, etc... but generally speaking there's average (I would say roughly) 20 - 50 flagged posts daily.
    I see background and you don't, so I can easily tell that MOST of flagged posts (and there's a lot of them!) are resolved pretty quickly. Most, not all. And PM to explain your observations more detailed actually isn't bad thing. I get them a lot and it helps me to see things which I sometimes don't get from short (or none) flagged post explanation.
    If just my hosts would be so fast with resolving support tickets as volunteer forum staff is in most cases...

joepie91 said: This thread was manually set to sink for a while, quietly

I can't comment that as I don't know details. But I checked it as soon as I saw your comment in thread and it wasn't set to sink that moment. It's possible that it came to some confusion, doubt or something by some forum staff. Things like that happens, but I think you're overreacting here. Whoever did it from whatever reason he also fixed it immediately. We're not always perfect, but It's really nothing to bother with in this specific case unless you took it personally. No harm done here.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Spirit said: It may seems so, but it's not correct. It's possible that something's overlooked every now and then, and that something's dismissed by some forum staff too hasty or that with something isn't most clear why is flagged at all, etc... but generally speaking there's average (I would say roughly) 20 - 50 flagged posts daily.

I see background and you don't, so I can easily tell that MOST of flagged posts (and there's a lot of them!) are resolved pretty quickly. Most, not all.

Fair enough.

Spirit said: And PM to explain your observations more detailed actually isn't bad thing. I get them a lot and it helps me to see things which I sometimes don't get from short (or none) flagged post explanation.

Hmm. I'm generally pretty verbose in my flag description for exactly this reason - I figured that would be more useful than a PM, as with a PM you can never be sure that you're sending it to a moderator who is online / has time to deal with it / is the person looking at the flag to begin with.

Spirit said: I can't comment that as I don't know details. But I checked it as soon as I saw your comment in thread and it wasn't set to sink that moment.

Correct, it has been un-sunk again.

Spirit said: It's possible that it came to some confusion, doubt or something by some forum staff. Things like that happens, but I think you're overreacting here. Whoever did it from whatever reason he also fixed it immediately. We're not always perfect, but It's really nothing to bother with in this specific case unless you took it personally. No harm done here.

It took a while for it to be restored, and only after I'd pointed out that it was sunk, though. The thing is that if a sink reason is provided, it's easy to understand why a thread is being a sunk, and whether it might've been a mistake - honestly, it's not the first time that I'm left wondering why a particular thread is sunk.

• vedranvedran Veteran

I think all Offtopic thread should be automatically sunk (isn't that how it used to work before?)

Not saying some of those are not worth reading, but I don't want to see the front page flooded by threads which have nothing to do with VPSes or hosting or at least something related.

• Down with common sense! Up with autocratic administration! Against inflation! $7 price fixing forever!

• Add to rules: "it's forbidden to discuss in public actions of administrators/moderators, in case of issues contact forum administrators by PM". So there will no posts "who deleted my message, it was you, i'm sure!11 " Haha! I'm serious.

• SpiritSpirit Member

alexvolk said: Add to rules: "it's forbidden to discuss in public actions of administrators/moderators, in case of issues contact forum administrators by PM". So there will no posts "who deleted my message, it was you, i'm sure!11 " Haha! I'm serious.

Something like that? http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/22891/staff-decisions/p1

• @Spirit said:
    Something like that?

Exactly, that topic needs to be sticked permanently so people will respect staff members too.

• @lifehome said:
    Can lowendtalk.com be the main domain? It's pointless for opening both www and apex domain out, and due to the nature of vanilla forum and cookie, we need to login twice if went for the other one.

this

Thanked by 1lifehome
  • @eversmile_host said:
    mpkossen >> you should check your signature link (http://lowendtalk.com/profile/LowEndNetwork)

also this @mpkossen

also it still says 2008-2013 in the footer

• LET notification went to spam:

DNSBL: failed, 198.23.141.194 listed in (b.barracudacentral.org;dbl.spamhaus.org;)
    Received: from smtp1a.lowendbox.com ([198.23.141.194] helo=smtp1a.lowendbox.com)

• @Silvenga said:
    LET notification went to spam:

I also received PM in spam. I'm using Outlook.com.

• make a rule against begging for free VPSes and ban all these stupid request threads. People can search the fucking site/forum for offers that match what they need.

Thanked by 2NeoXiD GIANT_CRAB
This discussion has been closed.