Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we improve LowEndTalk? - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we improve LowEndTalk?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Ban providers who charge $2 for stupid features like Autoboot.

• I also want an option to select Found this helpful or Had this question like in https://answers.microsoft.com.

• @TheKiller said:
    I also want an option to select Found this helpful

I'm curious how you think that information would be of use to other users. I am personally most interested in what I find useful, but don't feel much need to tell others.

• @TheKiller said:
    I also want an option to select Found this helpful or Had this question like in https://answers.microsoft.com.

bloody hell @Nekki would be winning

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

the cloudflare captcha is impossible to solve. If you value my presence as well as the presence of everyone who has bad eyesight, you will remove it.

• Quick update. We've found the issue with the profile pictures and I assume it will be fixed shortly. The reason it took so long is totally my fault. I haven't had proper time to spend on it this week, so I would like to apologize for that.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • edited May 2015

@mpkossen >> you should check your signature link (http://lowendtalk.com/profile/LowEndNetwork)

• rds100rds100 Member

Can new registrations be limited to using only latin characters in their usernames? Of course the ones that already registered with non-latin characters should be considered grandfathered and should stay as they are.

• Limiting names to latin characters is OK for an English language board, just make sure to include vowel ligatures and diacritical marks. Å and æ can use longhand, but ø looks better as is. Also, there's a lot of French and Spanish originating names in English culture that require diacritics to make sense. I'm sure Americans, with all their Spanish influence, would agree that it's confusing to see Nina instead of Niña, for example.

• PwnerPwner Member

@Ole_Juul said:
    Limiting names to latin characters is OK for an English language board, just make sure to include vowel ligatures and diacritical marks. Å and æ can use longhand, but ø looks better as is. Also, there's a lot of French and Spanish originating names in English culture that require diacritics to make sense. I'm sure Americans, with all their Spanish influence, would agree that it's confusing to see Nina instead of Niña, for example.

If it's not on a natural English QWERTY keyboard, there's no reason to place it on an English language forum. I think we should limit the type of characters since not everyone can whip out their foreign keyboards to tag someone or type their username in a post.

• I use a US layout tenkeyless to type the above. Any keyboard has a limited number of buttons on it. I think that letters like æ are essential to basic English and deeply rooted in the language. In the end I'm OK with whatever limitation, but just like to advocate for a more inclusive implementation than the face value on keyboard buttons and use an actual latin character set if possible. I guess it's a matter of where one wants to draw the line. We could just use numbers, and limit them to base ten. That would work too. :)

PS: Yes, I'm an old fashioned type and actually have a (current) copy of "Heart's Rules For Compositors And Readers At The University Press, Oxford" sitting beside me, although I'll pass on the thorn, eth, wyn, and yogh outside of historical text.

• tdaletdale Member

@mpkossen Just let us know when its actually fixed :(

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Allow OP's to add to their opening post only, not remove to edit it.

• BruceBruce Member

@Nekki said:
    Allow OP's to add to their opening post only, not remove to edit it.

add == edit, if you're going to allow adding you have to be able to edit.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Bruce said:
    add == edit, if you're going to allow adding you have to be able to edit.

I've seen evidence to the contrary. I'll find out which software it is

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member

@Nekki said:
    I've seen evidence to the contrary. I'll find out which software it is

Maybe some rule/nettiquette that you must use the strike-through tags and add your new content above it, when your changes to the OP would lead to context changes (big edits or deleting the whole post)?

Enforcing your idea (only allow additional text) by software might be bad, imagine those situations:

• You posted sensitive data by accident
    • You reread your post after a few minutes and would like to rephrase something and/or fix spelling mistakes
    • Your initial question wasn't clear enough and you provide more information for future readers
    • You started a LED (LowEndDrama) which got resolved

I agree that some of those situations could be solved by only allowing additional text (and it would still be ugly, IMHO), but others do require the ability to remove information.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

NeoXiD said: You posted sensitive data by accident

Ask a mod to change it

NeoXiD said: You reread your post after a few minutes and would like to rephrase something and/or fix spelling mistakes

Your fault for not proof-reading better. Life sucks, get a helmet.

NeoXiD said: Your initial question wasn't clear enough and you provide more information for future readers

The helmet you purchased to address the previous point will also serve you well here.

NeoXiD said: You started a LED (LowEndDrama) which got resolved

Mod edit or simple update.

• BruceBruce Member

being moderator of your own thread would be nice, in certain situations. a junior moderator of sorts

• NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited June 2015

@Nekki said:
    Ask a mod to change it

Not really a solution, this can take up to a few hours. In general I think it would just overcomplicate things, so it might be better to just "train" the users that they no longer do such stuff as removing the whole post. AFAIK, it doesn't happen too much, so if one user slips through, it should be fine.

@Bruce said:
    being moderator of your own thread would be nice, in certain situations. a junior moderator of sorts

Nice idea, but could lead to the same problem our grumpy oldie mentioned above, as those people would be now also able to delete whole posts. I think this would just encourage censorship - delete everything you don't want to have in your thread.

I just assumed you were thinking about deleting posts, so if that's not the case, would be great if you could further elaborate what you've meant.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

NeoXiD said: Not really a solution, this can take up to a few hours

Hire more mods then, do I really have to solve every problem for you?

• FuslFusl Member

How about offering LET as Tor Hidden Service for users that are registered already (for x weeks/months)?

Thanked by 1IceCream
  • PwnerPwner Member

@Fusl said:
    How about offering LET as Tor Hidden Service for users that are registered already (for x weeks/months)?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Fusl said:

Are you some kind of cunt?

• FuslFusl Member

@Nekki said:
    Are you some kind of cunt?

Not really, why? Are you? I just dislike government permanently staring at my keystrokes.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Fusl said:
    Not really, why? Are you? I just dislike government permanently staring at my keystrokes.

Yeah, quite sure that's happening.

• Am now crying for this. But can we please have a single BlueVM and CVPS thread. So many popping up is annoying.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Fusl said:

So much w0w.... This gets my NO vote.

• BruceBruce Member

How about lowendtor.com for those who have stuff to hide

• tdaletdale Member

Derailed :(

• HTTPS version of LET? I don't think it'd be TOO difficult... could either switch DNS to Cloudflare (free) or you could buy a PositiveSSL cert from Comodo for like $9... even my website is HTTPS.... just for the peace of mind.

This discussion has been closed.