Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we improve LowEndTalk? - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we improve LowEndTalk?

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

The only thing that works now is gravatar.

@AnthonySmith @tdale

• tdaletdale Member

@mikho How do i set that up. I have my email addressed reg'd with gravatar.com and still no dice.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

mikho said: The only thing that works now is gravatar.

By design?

@tdale said:
    mikho How do i set that up. I have my email addressed reg'd with gravatar.com and still no dice.

Stupid question but is the email same as you registered with here?

• tdaletdale Member

@mikho not the original email. But it is current on the account

I changed to gravatar a long time ago. Can't say if it is broken now or been broken for a long time

• tdaletdale Member

@mikho

Can you help me with my account. I've had a help desk ticket in, ive been complaining for awhile now on irc as well. nobody responds anywhere but you.

• Looks like this is still occurring.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited May 2015

Profile picture was buggered when I came here in June of last year. I noticed it getting more broken over time. Is somebody fiddling with the code on a regular basis, or is it just bit rot?

@ChrisMiller said:
    Looks like this is still occurring.

reload the page and it usually goes away. My guess is that it is some minify script compressing the image url to load the same image on all places or something like that ... it is annoying to say the least.

@tdale said:
    mikho

Can you help me with my account. I've had a help desk ticket in, ive been complaining for awhile now on irc as well. nobody responds anywhere but you.

I'm sorry, don't have access to server or code... all I can see is your current email address.
    Looks like the code part of the changing picture routine is really broken. I guess its a job for @sysadmin or perhaps @mpkossen.

• Can lowendtalk.com be the main domain? It's pointless for opening both www and apex domain out, and due to the nature of vanilla forum and cookie, we need to login twice if went for the other one.

• Android app & ios app is worth to implement. :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@eversmile_host said:
    Android app & ios app is worth to implement. :)

What's wrong with the mobile view? Why do you need an app?

• edited May 2015

Nekki said: What's wrong with the mobile view? Why do you need an app?

>

It consume less data & browsing in app is easy & more comfortable.

i prefer WHT app rather than their mobile website while accessing from my phone.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2015

@eversmile_host said:
    consume less data & browsing in app is easy & more comfortable.

>

How can you say that when the app doesn't exist yet?

• edited May 2015

Nekki said: How can you say that when the app doesn't exist yet?

>
    I'm not saying that LET app consume lowest data.

Generally app consume lesser data than mobile view. You can check by using WHT app (do know the difference)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

That's Tapatalk. I've already suggested it but people here didn't appreciate it much. I could also support it directly with you folks, since I work for them.

• I'm just back from vacation and will work on this thread tomorrow. Couple of things:

The avatars are a known issue and I'll be working on fixing that the soonest, as soon as I have access to the development node again.

The B B B B is something caused by cloudflare's "under attack" mode and is something that will be solved in the long term, as the cause is yet unknown to me.

Thanks for your patience, guys. I realize we're understaffed but it's a problem that is not easy to resolve.

• tdaletdale Member

@mpkossen Thanks, is there a quick fix for this. Can i reg a new name and you merge the old one with the new one and then change it back to tdale. The missing avatar thing is pretty annoying.

• @tdale said:
    mpkossen Thanks, is there a quick fix for this. Can i reg a new name and you merge the old one with the new one and then change it back to tdale. The missing avatar thing is pretty annoying.

That would make it more difficult. I'll get in touch with Alex tonight to get access fixed and I'll do my best to resolve it tomorrow and then ask Alex to put it live when he has a chance. I am literally just off the plane after a full day of travel and I need to take care of other business as well.

• ricardoricardo Member

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/53343/it-is-true#latest

Leaving catty comments and then closing the thread seems a bit off.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@ricardo said:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/53343/it-is-true#latest

Leaving catty comments and then closing the thread seems a bit off.

• tdaletdale Member

@Mark_R nothing like a good hosting ad when shits broken =P

• SadySady Member

A separate section for "SSL requests" would be great to have. It'll really help to get rid of daily "Cheapest SSL" threads.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • BruceBruce Member

and/or SSL offers

• DH22DH22 Member

LET would be much more useful if there was some way to enforce a minimum price for certain specs. I guess the only feasible method would be to go by RAM. I'd only ever consider using 1% of all the hosts who are active on LET. The 1% of trustworthy hosts have difficulty because of all the junk providers selling at completely unsustainable pricing.

In addition, and this is a much more realistic proposal, there should be some way for LET users to see if a host is preferred by the LET community. All we have now is the top provider poll. Ideally we need a TripAdvisor like site where hosts can be reviewed, of course with extremely strict rules on which users are eligible to vote based on how long they have been a member, post count, etc. If that is too hard to implement, there could at least by some indication of a providers credibility viewable for each provider posting on LET. For example this might mean if they are top 5 in the most recent poll they would get a gold star/badge clearly visible on their posts, 6-10 get silver, and 11-15 get bronze. This way it would at least help new users know which hosts have proven to be worthwhile instead of everything being only about who is offering the lowest prices.

Thanked by 1tdale
  • PwnerPwner Member

@DH22 said:
    The 1% of trustworthy hosts have difficulty because of all the junk providers selling at completely unsustainable pricing.

They don't have difficulty, because in the long run, the junk providers vanish and they still remain. Whether people are smart enough to pick them in the beginning, they'll still end up moving their services to the top providers because the junk hosts can't compete with the quality.

• BruceBruce Member

now that EU has imposed VAT on hosting services, which legally ANY provider is obliged to charge to EU customers, how about clarifying in the rules what the offer price is. whether or not it is exclusive of tax/VAT, if that will be charged to any customer.

presumably $7 + VAT is OK, if they charge VAT. that makes a difference when choosing a provider, if they're going to charge VAT.

difficult, as most US providers aren't going to be happy about specifically stating "we don't bother with EU VAT"

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Ban account if they make a fun of new technology like autoboot.

This discussion has been closed.