Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we improve LowEndTalk? - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we improve LowEndTalk?

Comments

• wychwych Member

@tehrabbitt said:
    HTTPS version of LET? I don't think it'd be TOO difficult... could either switch DNS to Cloudflare (free) or you could buy a PositiveSSL cert from Comodo for like $9... even my website is HTTPS.... just for the peace of mind.

Been said many times before and it wont happen till BSA support HTTP(s).

• BSA?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@tehrabbitt said:
    BSA?

BuySellAds

Thanked by 1wych
  • Mark_RMark_R Member

@Dillybob said:

https is pretty much a requirement on shared/public networks to keep your login safe. i doubt that you would like the idea of someone monitoring your communications (including the account login details.)

• Mark_R said: https is pretty much a requirement on shared/public networks to keep your login safe. I doubt that you would like the idea of someone monitoring your communications (including the account login details.)

+1 for that.

Small places it doesn't matter so much, but this is a high profile board and login details need more protection.

• tdaletdale Member

Any updates on the avatars? i thought this was fixed over a week ago :(

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • I'd like to see this link:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussions
    at the bottom of the page as well as the top.
    It would just be convenient to not have to go back to the top whenever I finish reading a thread.

• wychwych Member

@Ole_Juul said:
    I'd like to see this link:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussions
    at the bottom of the page as well as the top.
    It would just be convenient to not have to go back to the top whenever I finish reading a thread.

Push the home button.

• wych said: Push the home button.

Of course, that's what I do. :) A rather inelegant solution - although it would work not too badly for someone who uses their mouse with their left hand which I and many others don't.

• To clear some things up, I didn't mean to start a debate on the usefulness of HTTPS for a "Forum". Let me ask you this... Why use encryption on Facebook? Why use it for e-mail? etc. Because you don't want someone getting your credentials and posting on your behalf.

It boils down to the simple fact that I am positive there would be some people here, mostly the larger players with reputations they NEED to protect who wouldn't want their accounts compromised / things posted without their knowledge. A simple password sniffer could intercept your HTTP packets and therefore hand over the account creds... which then the attacker could go in and ruin your reputation on here. I know some hosts rely on this forum to help generate good PR / work with customers. LET isn't some no-name forum with 40 members... it's a [trusted] resource that many people rely on for trustworthy reviews and feedback from the LE community. Compromised accounts can and will lead to distrust, first of the users who are compromised, and then eventually the forum as a whole as nobody would be able to determine who is legit and who is not.

hope this clears up why I suggested it...

Thanked by 3Ole_Juul Pwner MikePT
  • It would be nice to see a mentioning plugin to be installed. Please ignore if it asks for more resources.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@sdglhm said:
    It would be nice to see a mentioning plugin to be installed. Please ignore if it asks for more resources.

A mentioning plugin as you get notified if your name is mentioned or some ranking on how many times you are mentioned?

Write the name of the user with an @ in front, like @sdglhm and you should be notified.

• mikho said: A mentioning plugin as you get notified if your name is mentioned or some ranking on how many times you are mentioned?

No. There is a vanilla mention auto completion plugin available. If we are starting mentioning someone, it suggest the usernames automatically.

@sdglhm said:
    No. There is a vanilla mention auto completion plugin available. If we are starting mentioning someone, it suggest the usernames automatically.

Sounds like its a "nice to have" more then a "need to have".
    Quoting a post always includes the name. What bothers me on the other hand is that the mention only works if you use the correct upper/lower case.

• amistleyamistley Member
    edited June 2015

After seeing [certain host] forced to remove their annual offers from their recent post, I feel that the rule regarding the maximum monthly price for dedicated servers being $49 should be relaxed to read:

Any servers available must be offered for a maximum of $49 per month. Providers are free to advertise additional discounts to this price for longer billing periods.

I first found out about [certain host] dedicated Atom offer here and feel it's a shame they can't advertise it here any more.

I have no connection to [certain host] other than that I have six months left on an Atom server rented from them.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited June 2015

It's not true that they can't advertise here anymore. They can and they do. Within community rules.

@amistley what about something like that:

Any servers available must be offered for a maximum of $19 per month.

That's just random example within community spirit how things can work other way around too.
    Every host have opportunity to advertise within forum rules, but what's more important here is that LET won't change itself just because individual host business model.

• Thank you for responding. I respect what you say. I don't believe that it is only that host that offers discounts for longer billing periods, and I deliberately worded my suggestion so as not to dilute the $49 per month maximum price. If the community were to want a lower monthly price (and it almost certainly will - I am currently paying the same for 4tb/16gb dedicated server as my first 2gb/20gb VPS eight years ago), then in the future the $49 could be lowered.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • > @wych said:

Been said many times before and it wont happen till BSA support HTTP(s).

It seems that BSA does support https already

• wychwych Member

@alexvolk its not me that needs to be made aware ;)

• @wych said:
    alexvolk its not me that needs to be made aware ;)

Ok, I've just replied to your post.

===

Hey @mpkossen and @jbiloh BSA does support SSL now so no more issues to integrate SSL at LET.

Oh, sorry forget about that you guys don't care (see issue about leb), you're free to ignore this too!

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2015

Redirect lowendtalk.com to www.lowendtalk.com or vice versa; otherwise the session is different and clicking on some links makes it seem like you're logged out

• wychwych Member

@perennate said:
    Redirect lowendtalk.com to www.lowendtalk.com or vice versa; otherwise the session is different and clicking on some links makes it seem like you're logged out

+1 since I also have suggested this previously.

Thanked by 1qrwteyrutiyoup
  • If this has been suggested before, pardon me, I'm too lazy to read 7 pages, easy on the ban hammer. Anyways, would it be nice to have a forum where providers and their reps post who they are and which company they represent? Or even one sticky thread and all (and only) providers post there. I know frequent LETers already know the popular hosts but it would be some nice info for newcomers (like me) and in general easier for people to find out who's who.

edited June 2015

Guys, this discussiln is not improving LET. Cest pit please.

edit by @AnthonySmith ^^ this rather than making a new post: I have removed all the dillydrama, not needed here.

Now please go forth and discussiln!

• LeeLee Veteran

mikho said: discussiln

The what?

Thanked by 1Pwner

@Lee said:
    The what?

discussiln. I thought you as a Brit would understand. Can't teach old dogs how to sit I guess. sigh......

• LeeLee Veteran

mikho said: Can't teach old dogs how to sit

Sitting is fine, it's getting back up..

• don't know if it's been said or whatever

can we have a new category ? web company/client for sale ?

• SpiritSpirit Member

MSPNick said: can we have a new category ? web company/client for sale ?

No.

This discussion has been closed.