Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we improve LowEndTalk? - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we improve LowEndTalk?

Comments

• DylanDylan Member

Q: How can we improve LowEndTalk?

A: Remove Dillybob

I'm generally all for a moderation-lite approach, but isn't some sort of line crossed when the overwhelming majority of someone's posts are aggressive or argumentative?

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Dylan said:

I find LET to be a nice place, different from most other forums, especially due to the fact that it lets people speak their minds, no censoring or heavy moderation.

• when you type /var /www/ without a space, you get a cloudflare error.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

hostnoob said: when you type /var /www/ without a space, you get a cloudflare error.

Protection mechanism from CloudFlare.

• @HBAndrei said:
    "Protection" mechanism from CloudFlare.

FTFY :D

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • @hostnoob said:
    this

srsly LET need to get this improved.

• lifehome said: srsly LET need to get this improved.

I disagree. I think it needs to get fixed.

• Being able to block/mute a determined user. Even though this translates into diving into vanilla source.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited July 2015

@inthecloudblog said:
    Being able to block/mute a determined user. Even though this translates into diving into vanilla source.

If you're at that point.. I question if you should even have access to the internet...

• edited July 2015

@Dillybob said:
    If you're at that point.. I question if you should even have access to the internet...

1- Many forums have this already. Maybe you are not aware of that.
    2- Who are you to tell me that I should be reading someone else's posts which I do not like? Get lost.

edited July 2015

inthecloudblog said: 1- Many forums have this already

Forums or Forum Software? I'm not aware of any forum that lets you block a user and not see a spec of dust from that person in the community? I think the newest IPB has it not sure.

edited July 2015

These late notifications need to stop. I am getting notifications of new posts ALL at once, not dynamically / sequentially.

• wychwych Member

@Dillybob said:
    These late notifications need to stop. I am getting notifications of new posts ALL at once, not dynamically / sequentially.

I seem to no longer get notifications.

• @wych said:

LOL

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@wych said:

Perhaps lowendtalk has been rate-limited by the new CC anti-spam function?

• @inthecloudblog said:

2- Who are you to tell me that I should be reading someone else's posts which I do not like? Get lost.

I have to agree I'd like a mute feature for certain users or at least a 'hide posts by user' option so that we can hide people who seem to contribute nothing perhaps with an option on posts in threads to view the message if you so wish to.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • IThinkUFailed said: I have to agree I'd like a mute feature for certain users or at least a 'hide posts by user' option so that we can hide people who seem to contribute nothing perhaps with an option on posts in threads to view the message if you so wish to.

I find that scrolling down works really well for that.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    I find that scrolling down works really well for that.

For the most part it does, yes. Doesn't mean the feature isn't worth adding...

• IThinkUFailed said: For the most part it does, yes. Doesn't mean the feature isn't worth adding...

Perhaps, but to me a lot of that "problem" comes down to moderation style. Much of what appears to be acceptable here would have someone banned (at least temporarily) on other forums. Moderators don't take the time to edit or delete questionable posts. I understand why they wouldn't, but it's still the reality. Perhaps the culture on this forum will change over time - these things tend to evolve. I notice a couple of recent threads with high troll potential have been quite civilized. Could the forum be moving in that direction?

As for adding features, I think that's a slippery slope. My feeling is that the basic functionality needs to be solid before extra stuff is added. That's just my old fashioned thinking though. :)

• @Ole_Juul said:
    I notice a couple of recent threads with high troll potential have been quite civilized. Could the forum be moving in that direction?

It's the increased troll threads by some people why I back @inthecloudblog's suggestion. Most threads are fine but some posts and threads by some users I'd rather avoid.

• edited July 2015

@IThinkUFailed said:
    It's the increased troll threads by some people why I back inthecloudblog's suggestion. Most threads are fine but some posts and threads by some users I'd rather avoid.

I dislike to read when certain users that are worshipped and do not have the same way I think in particular aspects which I'd rather not debate and better omit reading.
    Less useless debates and remain focussed ( both ways) in what concerns us.

• edited July 2015

Some stuff I've just thought It might be of any use:

Verify IP to mods of hired services
    Predict a username after the @ symbol is placed.
    Have auto merging of posts if this does not exist.

Have some feedback from whoever either takes decisions or passes them to someone else ( for us to know if what we suggest makes any sense at all).

@Dillybob said:

Hi bud
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/ignore-plugin

EDIT: took me 5 seconds to find this and you show up pretending to be the knowledgeable dude.

• HostNunHostNun Member
    edited July 2015

@HBAndrei said:
    I find LET to be a nice place, different from most other forums, especially due to the fact that it lets people speak their minds, no censoring or heavy moderation.

I lol'd. Different sensory thresholds, I guess.

• I like the possibility of having providers do offerings openly and not have to do all that secretive thing asking related questions to what the poster signature says ...

• @inthecloudblog said:
    I like the possibility of having providers do offerings openly and not have to do all that secretive thing asking related questions to what the poster signature says ...

Can you re-phrase this please?

• I'm guessing he's asking providers to identify themselves. I agree, what's the point in using some obscure ID that one needs to research? If one is an "insider" then one will, of course, just know. That's all very cute, but good business practice would suggest a wider reach. No?

• In forums like WHT they play around suggesting questions ( related to what they actually offer in their signature) like : " Do you need a KVM SSD VPS in the east coast?" while he actually does provide such service but he cannot say : "hey OP I offer X type of services at $Y in Z Datacenter which might be of your interest, sign in with this url and use the coupon WHT".

• DevilDevil Member
    • By controlling the circlejerk (host-host, customer-cost)
    • Banning herd mentality
    • Checking confrontation before it becomes annoying
    • Make sure there is nothing like Member A is more special one than the Member B.
    • Have some moderators but change them periodically and also genuinely look into the matter if there are sufficient complaints against a member or a moderator.

But

• Don't be bossy (people get pissed off)
    • Don't bully and let anyone bully anyone. (not saying you do either of this)
  • wychwych Member

Any update on the www vs non-www redirect being added @jbiloh @sysadmin @mpkossen ?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

wych said: Any update on the www vs non-www redirect being added @jbiloh @sysadmin @mpkossen ?

Both lowendtalk.com and www.lowendtalk.com work for me. Do they not for you?

This discussion has been closed.