Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Chris SCAM / AvanteHosting / Centarra Refusal ship of our HW - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another Chris SCAM / AvanteHosting / Centarra Refusal ship of our HW

Comments

• It's a legal issue, I'm not going to read their ToS but it's hugely unlikely they'd have a term along the lines of "we assume ownership of your hardware", there's no reason for there to be. It's theft.

• wychwych Member

@clamhost said:
    Contacted both UK & US Authorities about this and neither said they cannot do anything in this Instance. as it's a Civil dispute and not a Criminal Issue.

Theft is theft...

theft

noun

the action or crime of stealing.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=define:theft

• ATHKATHK Member

@clamhost said:
    I don't see how anyone could use Centarra especially after them forcing people to change their numbers due to prank calls from Chris and his friends.

I was talking about him.. not you lol

• clamhost said: There is a lot of loss of earnings here. especially having to oversubscribe our VPS Nodes because we are waiting on Chris to send out one of our built out VPS Nodes that will help correct all of this. But we have had to go and spend further money on another barebone + memory + HDDs it is not cheap. we spend roughly $1.4k per VPS Node that we build. and then he has 2 other servers also and a RAID Controller.

Maybe it's worth paying for an hour with a (different?) lawyer to ask some questions. Like I said, it's doubtful they're going to want any legal trouble over this but if you sound like you know what you're on about you might get some leeway.

• Now ChrisK wants to bill us for $50 for a random drop of fee for a RAID Card from yesterday that I never agreed to. and refuses to ship anything out until he gets his $50 fees that he is randomly billing us for.

• @clamhost said:
    Now ChrisK wants to bill us for $50 for a random drop of fee for a RAID Card from yesterday that I never agreed to. and refuses to ship anything out until he gets his $50 fees that he is randomly billing us for.

Pay it so you can get your hardware, it's worth it. I had to pay over 2k one time to get hardware out of a shady business, (colocateusa). They saw us looking for quotes in other locations and revoked our agreement on ip addresses and started charging big bucks for them. I think this was back in 09.

• I don't think its been mentioned in this thread yet, but clamhost is banned from WHT for scamming and rule breaking. In other words, prepare the drama popcorn.

• @wych said:
    Another one...

Fixed that for you.

Thanked by 2tomsfarm netomx
  • @Corey said:
    Pay it so you can get your hardware, it's worth it. I had to pay over 2k one time to get hardware out of a shady business, (colocateusa). They saw us looking for quotes in other locations and revoked our agreement on ip addresses and started charging big bucks for them. I think this was back in 09.

$50 fee will be paid how ever he wants another $50 from yesterday.
    So he is charging us for fees that we did not agree to.

• ToadyusToadyus Member
    edited August 2014

Get a lawyer to send him a letter stating either send my customer back his equipment or he will be filling in his jurisdiction for theft of equipment. You will have your server back in days....I've had to do this before and it works.

It's funny how fast people act when they get a notice from a lawyer.

• @Corey said:

What's sad is now he wants $50 even if we have Fedex pick up the nodes. Furthermore nowhere in his Terms of Service does it state that we have to pay a $50 fee.

He is doing this because we used to have $50 worth of account credit with Centarra, which he already emptied.

It is ridiculous that he thinks he can charge us various fees that aren't in writing. Did it not even occur to Chris of Centarra that in the State of Texas verbal agreements aren't valid? The fact that we never signed anything when we joined Centarra means we aren't even responsible for any ransom fees he wants to charge us on our own hardware.

Now we're being told to pay $50 twice even if we have Fedex pick up the servers because it's a handling fee? ColoUnlimited, QuadraNet, Dacentec, those providers NEVER asked for a handling fee when we colocated with them in the past (had to leave them do to no DDoS Mitigation).

Centarra is shady, and I sincerly recommend everyone to stay away from them.

After all if you decide to cancel Chris might ask you to pay $50 or $100 or whatever he wants to cancel your account, and might even hold your hardware hostage until you pay him what he wants. Lousy, shady, and possibly illegal practice is done at Centarra.

Sincerely,

Thomas of ClamHost.

• How many hours have you spent dealing with this. If you rate your time at about $50/hr, I guarantee you've spent more than the cost to get your shit back.

• tomsfarmtomsfarm Member
    edited August 2014

@Exelion said:
    I don't think its been mentioned in this thread yet, but clamhost is banned from WHT for scamming and rule breaking. In other words, prepare the drama popcorn.

Not true. Our account on WHT was banned due to PM spam because a user contacted us for server management, and after we did the work he did not want to pay for the services we did. Once he finally did, he opened a PayPal dispute, and reported all our posts for spam. Since we did do our work via WHT's PM system we were temporarily suspended.

So to sum it up we got temporarily suspended on WHT for a unspecified amount of time, because they saw that Dave and I were sharing our WHT account. I had him do server management tasks for ClamHost on WHT, and I would advertise ClamHost.

I honestly didn't know that wasn't allowed until the mods told me. They have not fully suspended us on WHT. If you look at our profile we're temporarily suspended.

Still though I'd like to hear your sources though, as you defend Chris strongly and have come to this thread and our previous thread bashing us.

-Thomas

• Just take the lawyer advice IMO, otherwise it looks like you're not telling the truth and just spreading FUD.

Thanked by 1tux
    edited August 2014

@Exelion said:
    I don't think its been mentioned in this thread yet, but clamhost is banned from WHT for scamming and rule breaking. In other words, prepare the drama popcorn.

In fact for someone who likes to bash us, doesn't it seem like your reputation is bad?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/560862/#Comment_560862

The title of that thread: Beware Exelion!

• clamhost said: Contacted both UK & US Authorities about this and neither said they cannot do anything in this Instance. as it's a Civil dispute and not a Criminal Issue. I'm just forwarding you all what we have been told.

You don't go to the police, you go to a lawyer. "Civil dispute" just means there aren't criminal (e.g. go to jail) charges involved, and instead you're trying to recover damages (money or property).

• Dylan said: You don't go to the police, you go to a lawyer. "Civil dispute" just means there aren't criminal (e.g. go to jail) charges involved, and instead you're trying to recover damages (money or property).

Great advice - yes the 'police' aren't going to do anything about it. It's the civil court system that would do something about this, and you need representation ( a lawyer ).

• @Dylan said:
    You don't go to the police, you go to a lawyer. "Civil dispute" just means there aren't criminal (e.g. go to jail) charges involved, and instead you're trying to recover damages (money or property).

I guess your right, perhaps we'll consider it, because if we pay Chris $50 twice like he wants, who's to say he won't ask for more money next week?

He has already proven himself to be shady and enjoys making up fees out of thin air.

-Thomas

• Wow has this gotten out of hand.
    Okay Dave/Jordan/Thomas whatever other fake name you've thought of today. You failed to setup a FedEx pickup so we had to drive and drop off your package at a FedEx office... Gas and time are not free!

There will also be a remote hands fee if you want us to drop off your servers at a FedEx location however if are able to get a FedEx pickup scheduled (Which I think you can do online) then there is no cost.

You can sue us , but in the end nothing changes. You need to pick up the hardware or use a carrier service! It is really that difficult?

edited August 2014

@ChrisK said:
    Wow has this gotten out of hand.
    Okay Dave/Jordan/Thomas whatever other fake name you've thought of today. You failed to setup a FedEx pickup so we had to drive and drop off your package at a FedEx office... Gas and time are not free!

There will also be a remote hands fee if you want us to drop off your servers at a FedEx location however if are able to get a FedEx pickup scheduled (Which I think you can do online) then there is no cost.

You can sue us , but in the end nothing changes. You need to pick up the hardware or use a carrier service! It is really that difficult?

That's interesting, because we had a Fedex pickup scheduled for the HDD's that we had shipped out of Centarra last time. The issue was Fedex didn't show up in your "required timeframe" even though we specifically that it needed to be done between 8AM and 4PM.

Here's a sceenshot: http://i.imgur.com/wDeMxwL.png

-Thomas

edited August 2014

@ChrisK said:
    Wow has this gotten out of hand.
    Okay Dave/Jordan/Thomas whatever other fake name you've thought of today.

Interesting, as we have told you our business structure before, but I will make this simple for you to understand.

ClamHost is a registered General Partnership business in the State of Texas.

edited August 2014

Look everyone now Chris wants $75 not $50, just to derack the servers.:

http://pastebin.com/hVzgLMWY

He wants me to drive 5 hours to Dallas, to pickup servers, when he could just put the servers in the cardboard boxes we shipped them to Centarra in, slap the labels I sent him, and I'd get Fedex to pickup the servers. Fedex charges $3! Chris charges whatever he wants. As he said it's a case by case basis. In other words since he dislikes Dave and I we need to pay more. Very unprofessional of Centarra.

Now Chris wants $75 just to derack them.

Buyer beware: Centarra will try to charge you anything they can if you decide to cancel.

• when are you two getting married?

Thanked by 1tomsfarm
  • MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2014

We can't do anything, consult a lawyer, write it off or pay the fees. I doubt anyone here cares what you do. Every post you make here is taking away time you could be using to come up with a solution, so I can't imagine you're that eager to get your hardware back.

@clamhost said:

ClamHost_Thomas: Remote hands? No legit datacenter has ever charged remote hands for someone to derack some servers, pack them, and put them in a closet till Fedex arrives to pick up the boxes.

They most certainly have, it's common.

• Chris and his friends cussing at us after telling us to IRC.

http://pastebin.com/2r5USdE8

• @clamhost said:
    Look everyone now Chris wants $75 not $50, just to derack the servers.:

http://pastebin.com/hVzgLMWY

He wants me to drive 5 hours to Dallas, to pickup servers, when he could just put the servers in the cardboard boxes we shipped them to Centarra in, slap the labels I sent him, and I'd get Fedex to pickup the servers. Fedex charges $3! Chris charges whatever he wants. As he said it's a case by case basis. In other words since he dislikes Dave and I we need to pay more. Very unprofessional of Centarra.

Now Chris wants $75 just to derack them.

Buyer beware: Centarra will try to charge you anything they can if you decide to cancel.

Chances are they threw those boxes away. Fedex would charge you about $25 per server at least to pack them. YES - other data centers DO charge money to derack and pack your items - quit being cheap and just pay it.

• @clamhost said:
    Chris and his friends cussing at us after telling us to IRC.
    http://pastebin.com/2r5USdE8

You should give this to your mom so she can call his mom.

• This is better than a movie.

• Surely it's not that strange to ask a provider what their terms will be for removing your hardware before you ship your assets there? Maybe you should ask in future.

edited August 2014

@Corey said:
    Chances are they threw those boxes away. Fedex would charge you about $25 per server at least to pack them. YES - other data centers DO charge money to derack and pack your items - quit being cheap and just pay it.

Fedex doesn't charge $25 to pickup the servers. I was quoted I believe $3 to pickup the nodes. We paid for the shipping labels weeks ago for the servers. It was around $40 per node.

How are we being cheap when Centarra have ripped us of multiple times while being a client with them.

This discussion has been closed.