Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared is becoming NameCrane! New Locations, plans, and WEBSITE! - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared is becoming NameCrane! New Locations, plans, and WEBSITE!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@emgh said: If you consider $1000/year crazy high, we probably won't see .SE & .NU I suppose (10 000 SEK application fee & 5 000 SEK / year admin fee)

I'd have to see what the demand is.

Paying huge reg fees to sell 5 domains isn't great :)

Francisco

Thanked by 2emgh Marx
  • shruubshruub Member

@matey0 said:

@shruub said:
    For the reselling part, sort of. As you see in the pdf you linked, the domains are mainly handled by Sarek Oy. Visiting sarek.fi however, you can see that they have a large amount of ccTLDs. So, all of those can also be registered on Njalla, since sarek is only a front, they don't actually accept customers. For stuff like .com, .net, .org etc., yeah, they resell someone, ai think it was InternetBS.

I'm confused by this. You don't have to be ICANN accredited to sell ccTLDs? Sarek isn't listed as one https://www.icann.org/en/accredited-registrars

I only add to the things others already summarized brilliantly.

For some, yeah. As you can see on their website/comparing with the wikipedia cctld article for example, it still is a quite small amount relatively. There is a lot of difference between all the different institutions handling their country's respective TLD. Some are strict, some are very open, some love icann, some would like to get away as much as possible from them.

• matey0matey0 Member

@emgh said:

@Francisco said: Some of them require you operate within the country or have crazy high fees. .ca is like $1000/year in membership alone.

If you consider $1000/year crazy high, we probably won't see .SE & .NU I suppose (10 000 SEK application fee & 5 000 SEK / year admin fee)

1 sek is around 0.1 usd

• shruubshruub Member

@Francisco said:
    Some of them require you operate within the country or have crazy high fees. .ca is like $1000/year in membership alone.

Francisco

For that price, I'd hope blackjack and hookers are included.

@matey0 said: 1 sek is around 0.1 usd

Fees are fine, we just have to justify it with demand.

You know, Coinpayments used to (still does?) this thing where you can crowdfund new coins being supported. People pledge/pay in whatever and if it gets enough, they cover it.

Maybe we could try to do something like that. That, or we just get a large reseller that can bring enough to justify it.

Francisco

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 8

@matey0 said:

@emgh said:

@Francisco said: Some of them require you operate within the country or have crazy high fees. .ca is like $1000/year in membership alone.

If you consider $1000/year crazy high, we probably won't see .SE & .NU I suppose (10 000 SEK application fee & 5 000 SEK / year admin fee)

1 sek is around 0.1 usd

Which makes it 1/2 of the fee for .ca for much smaller country

@Francisco said: I'd have to see what the demand is.

I think one thing with domains is that even if demand is low, A LOT of people have a few ccTLD's of various origin, and they'll be hesitant to move in their .com, .net, .org's etc unless their specific ccTLD is covered, making it hard without support for many of them

Could be wrong

• kaitkait Member

Probably easiest to see what the resellers have in their portfolio to see what the demand can be. And price the ccTLD (for example) accordingly to not run a huge loss, and then lower the price when demand goes up? @emgh thoughs?

• matey0matey0 Member

@Francisco said:

@matey0 said: 1 sek is around 0.1 usd

Fees are fine, we just have to justify it with demand.

You know, Coinpayments used to (still does?) this thing where you can crowdfund new coins being supported. People pledge/pay in whatever and if it gets enough, they cover it.

Maybe we could try to do something like that. That, or we just get a large reseller that can bring enough to justify it.

Francisco

Yeah, I would focus on getting the big traditional and cc TLDs first. Don't really care about .engineering or .exposed or .technology or whatever and the TLD companies of those notoriously suck.
    You can look into supporting notoriously very lenient ccTLDs like .to, .sc, .st, .li, etc. Not many registrars have them.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • shruubshruub Member
    edited March 8

@emgh said:
    I think one thing with domains is that even if demand is low, A LOT of people have a few ccTLD's of various origin, and they'll be hesitant to move in their .com, .net, .org's etc unless their specific ccTLD is covered, making it hard without support for many of them

I for sure ain't the normal customer, but I do agree. I have most of my domains (even niche one's) at one small provider, mainly because they do support almost all TLDs. It's nice to have everything in one place, and I wouldn't move somewhere else, if they hadn't got .re for example.

Edit: I feel like the text doesn't make sense somehow, but it probably does.

Thanked by 1emgh

@emgh said: I think one thing with domains is that even if demand is low, A LOT of people have a few ccTLD's of various origin, and they'll be hesitant to move in their .com, .net, .org's etc unless their specific ccTLD is covered, making it hard without support for many of them

That's a great point :) Will have to take that into consideration and likely just budget a decent lump of cash to memebership fees every year then and let it be.

Francisco

Thanked by 2emgh shruub
    • We had some issues with DNS on the UK & NY cPanel nodes. Seems my scripts aren't syncing/configuring the cluster at provision time. This is fixed.
    • Softaculous didn't pull its licenses so they were on 'Free' tier. This has now been fixed on all new nodes.
    • Jetbackup is missing on UK/NY/LV04. This is known and being finished up today. I haven't been able to ansible that yet.

Francisco

• sillycatsillycat Member

Live, Laugh, Love Francisco.

edited March 8

@sillycat said:

Erect, Lift, Boom.

Edit - Fixed order.

Francisco

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

At this pace, I'm sure I can buy I-love.crane soon :)

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 8

@FatGrizzly said:

The logo: My profile picture with the pants edited out and a giant erect crane under them

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@sillycat said:

Erect, Lift, Boom.

Thanked by 4Falzo _MS_ Ympker adly
  • shruubshruub Member

@emgh said:

@ FatGrizzly said:

The logo: My profile picture with the pants edited out and a giant erect crane under them

Your profile picture has pants? :0
    Never saw them cause the preview is minimized

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 8

@shruub said:

@emgh said:

@ FatGrizzly said:

You never saw the original?

Back when Fran didn't go all corporate on a mofo, he was proud of his manly body: https://web.archive.org/web/20161019164638/https://buyvm.net/about-buyvm/

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 8

@emgh said:

@shruub said:

@emgh said:

@ FatGrizzly said:

You never say the original?

Back when Fran didn't go all corporate on a mofo, he was proud of his manly body: https://web.archive.org/web/20161019164638/https://buyvm.net/about-buyvm/

After doing keto, here is a recent pic of Fran.

Thanked by 2emgh shruub
  • shruubshruub Member

@emgh said:

@shruub said:

@emgh said:

@ FatGrizzly said:

You never say the original?

lmao, that is fucking amazing (and no, I didn't :^))
    Now I ain't a Marketing guy, but I feel like putting that on Namecrane's homepage would boost sales by at least 69%, adding a lot of sex appeal.

Thanked by 2emgh sh97
  • emghemgh Member

@MannDude said: After doing keto, here is a recent pic of Fran.

Something's off...

Edit: Must be the earrings, it really works for him!

Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • emghemgh Member

@shruub said: Now I ain't a Marketing guy, but

Nearly as good as "I'm not a lawyer, but"

Thanked by 1shruub
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Harambe said:

@Francisco said:

@sillycat said:

Erect, Lift, Boom.

congrats! nice to finally see you back in the ring more publicly mate!

Thanked by 2Harambe Francisco
  • I have been working as a freelancer for 16 years and I also want to find love and get married, but housing prices in big cities are too high. In the mainstream narrative and public opinion environment, a house is a necessity for marriage. Almost no young people stay in small counties. Urbanization has destroyed the marriages of young people of my generation. Many people empty their parents' wallets to become urban providers.

Thanked by 2kait MrLime
  • JosephFJosephF Member

@Francisco said:

@JosephF said:
    Sad to see that their won't anymore be any plans in the approximate $8 and $13 price categories.

Perhaps consider a $12/annual plan with, maybe, 5GB?

That would be up to Mike to decide :)

Francisco

Pass the suggestion to Mike for a lower price category in shared. :)

@JosephF said: Pass the suggestion to Mike for a lower price category in shared.

@Harambe is with us in spirit, watching over this thread.

Francisco

• @hiphiphip0 said:
    I have been working as a freelancer for 16 years and I also want to find love and get married, but housing prices in big cities are too high. In the mainstream narrative and public opinion environment, a house is a necessity for marriage. Almost no young people stay in small counties. Urbanization has destroyed the marriages of young people of my generation. Many people empty their parents' wallets to become urban providers.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@Harambe said:

@Francisco said:

@sillycat said:

Erect, Lift, Boom.

Damn, I guess I won't be running another "Harambe Special" any time soon. It seems like it would have a new meaning now... lol

• @Harambe said:

@Francisco said:

@sillycat said:

Erect, Lift, Boom.

harambe makes namecrane great (again)!?

• nyamenknyamenk Member

Now I see my account in buyshared moved to namecrane :)