Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared is becoming NameCrane! New Locations, plans, and WEBSITE! - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared is becoming NameCrane! New Locations, plans, and WEBSITE!

Comments

• ChievoChievo Member

@Francisco said:

@emgh said: @Francisco although, we’ll see how much rest you’re getting.. no matter what you’re outsourcing and plan on outsourcing over at NameCrane, you’re still launching a registrar

Thankfully Mike's been handling a lot of the domain side. He's been handling all the content writing and is quickly learning the support side.

I don't know how many domains we sell in the end. Maybe we only sell a few thousand, maybe we sell 100's of thousands. Hard to compete with 'at cost' registrar's, my name only carries so far.

@Francisco congrats on getting married!

Thanks friend.

Francisco

Do you know if you are going to charge VAT for europeans? Congrats for the wedding.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Chievo said: Do you know if you are going to charge VAT for europeans? Congrats for the wedding.

We'll cross that bridge when we need to.

On the topic of the budget resellers.

I finished the WHMCS hooks and product merges last night. Mike's just finishing linking it to the site. I expect it to be open for sale in all locations in the next few hours.

Francisco

Thanked by 2luissousa hapkido
  • @Francisco Curious, who is Mike? Was / is he one of the providers here who goes by that name?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@Chievo said: Do you know if you are going to charge VAT for europeans? Congrats for the wedding.

We'll cross that bridge when we need to.

On the topic of the budget resellers.

I finished the WHMCS hooks and product merges last night. Mike's just finishing linking it to the site. I expect it to be open for sale in all locations in the next few hours.

Francisco

Congrats on the wife Fran!

Hoping to hoard your budget reseller packages :)

• matey0matey0 Member

@Francisco said: I don't know how many domains we sell in the end. Maybe we only sell a few thousand, maybe we sell 100's of thousands. Hard to compete with 'at cost' registrar's, my name only carries so far.

Competing solely on price is gonna be hard. But I think there is a huge demand for no-bullshit free speech registrars. I would count companies like Njalla or Epik into that category, but both of their reputation hasn't been good lately:

• Njalla: clientHolding domains at their own discretion and not communicative
    • Epik: Big data breach, controversy about ownership, lawsuit, deplatforming, defamation.

Don't know if that's the niche you're going for, but if you do your name would go a long way there.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • @Weblogics said:
    @Francisco Curious, who is Mike? Was / is he one of the providers here who goes by that name?

He's not @MikePT, that I can tell as I had the same question

Thanked by 2Weblogics MikePT

@Weblogics said: @Francisco Curious, who is Mike? Was / is he one of the providers here who goes by that name?

He's @Harambe. Dicks out in his honor.

I've known him for quite a few years, great guy. Even greater memes.

@matey0 said: would count companies like Njalla or Epik into that category, but both of their reputation hasn't been good lately:

Like BuyVM, we'd aim for value add on top of a 'law of the land/no bullshit' stance. Our goal would be some included anycast DNS product as well as free email hosting (unlimited accounts with XX GB of space type deal).

Our markup is going to be small, maybe a dollar or two a year or so. Our hope is that with email/dns, it makes up for it.

As for Epik/Njalla, I've only been following the horror stories with Epik. I had heard Njalla had some ClientHold issues, but wasn't sure if that was them or the TLD.

Francisco

Thanked by 3Weblogics matey0 Falzo
  • kaitkait Member

@Francisco for domain reselling do you plan on creating whmcs and blesta plugins?

• shruubshruub Member

@Lee said:
    This isn’t really working out the way @SirFoxy hoped it would I suspect.

Good thing he logged out for the day.

Thanked by 2emgh kait

@kait said: @Francisco for domain reselling do you plan on creating whmcs and blesta plugins?

Yes, we'll have WHMCS & Blesta day 1 w/ a full blown API.

I've had some people ask about hostbill. I'll likely have to buy their SDK pack?

Francisco

Thanked by 1kait
  • emghemgh Member

@Francisco said: Like BuyVM, we'd aim for value add on top of a 'law of the land/no bullshit' stance. Our goal would be some included anycast DNS product as well as free email hosting (unlimited accounts with XX GB of space type deal).

Nice! A swedish provider did this before they got bought out, I used them for it. Nice to just register a domain somewhere and then by default get the basics like free email.

• kaitkait Member

@Francisco said:

@kait said: @Francisco for domain reselling do you plan on creating whmcs and blesta plugins?

Yes, we'll have WHMCS & Blesta day 1 w/ a full blown API.

I've had some people ask about hostbill. I'll likely have to buy their SDK pack?

Francisco

Ah great, I just need a blesta plugin and someday my own integration <3

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@JosephF said:

@Ympker said:
    I'm kind of glad you are (also) offering cPanel on your plans. For all the love I have for DA being an alternative to cPanel price hikes etc, I still never got warm with it.

What do you like about cPanel more than DA?

Nothing that I can name objectively speaking. It's a mix of personal preference and old habits die hard.

Thanked by 1JosephF
  • adilolvadilolv Member

What's the difference between Crates & Reseller ? @Francisco

@kait said: Ah great, I just need a blesta plugin and someday my own integration

Figured since we already give a free Blesta license, why not have a plugin too? ;)

A big focus will be being reseller friendly. Favorable pricing tiers, "founding partner" (basically resellers we sign up within the first X months) perks, good API, etc.

Goal would also be to whitelabel the DNS & email so resellers can give that to their end users too.

Francisco

Thanked by 2hostkar hapkido
  • matey0matey0 Member

@Francisco said: I had heard Njalla had some ClientHold issues, but wasn't sure if that was them or the TLD.

Afaik Njalla is only a reseller, they were denied ICANN accreditation. Also, afaik, TLD issues would result in a direct domain seizure or termination, not a clientHold? Either way, there are numerous reports of such cases and often Njalla did not respond to clientHolded customers' requests.

@adilolv said: What's the difference between Crates & Reseller ? @Francisco

Crates are more 'semi dedicated' resources as well as much higher limits. The CPU/RAM you get allocated on a crate plan is set as a 'reseller limit', so all of your users fit in there. You can then make your own resource plans within those limits and upsell however you like.

@matey0 said: Afaik Njalla is only a reseller, they were denied ICANN accreditation. Also, afaik, TLD issues would result in a direct domain seizure or termination, not a clientHold? Either way, there are numerous reports of such cases and often Njalla did not respond to clientHolded customers' requests.

Yeah, I saw that NJalla got blocked due to his TPB convictions. I also saw his rant about IPV4 subnets.

Francisco

• shruubshruub Member

@emgh said:

@Francisco said: Like BuyVM, we'd aim for value add on top of a 'law of the land/no bullshit' stance. Our goal would be some included anycast DNS product as well as free email hosting (unlimited accounts with XX GB of space type deal).

Nice! A swedish provider did this before they got bought out, I used them for it. Nice to just register a domain somewhere and then by default get the basics like free email.

Is there any swedish provider you haven't used?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • kaitkait Member
    edited March 8

@Francisco said:

@kait said: Ah great, I just need a blesta plugin and someday my own integration

Figured since we already give a free Blesta license, why not have a plugin too? ;)

A big focus will be being reseller friendly. Favorable pricing tiers, "founding partner" (basically resellers we sign up within the first X months) perks, good API, etc.

Goal would also be to whitelabel the DNS & email so resellers can give that to their end users too.

Francisco

Sounds great, would love to be a founding partner, I can also make a Rust and or Golang SDK if you want or even python. Just lmk, the 2 resellers I currently use aren't as polished as I would expect in 2024.

@kait said: Sounds great, would love to be a founding part er, I can also make a Rust and or Golang SDK if you want or even python. Just lmk, the 2 resellers I currently use aren't as polished as I would expect in 2024.

That'd be sweet if you could. I'm sure people would love that. I could likely help fund that some (account credit, lego cranes, etc).

As for resellers, you mean resellers with Namecrane or you mean domain registrar's elsewhere?

Francisco

• kaitkait Member

@Francisco said:

@kait said: Sounds great, would love to be a founding part er, I can also make a Rust and or Golang SDK if you want or even python. Just lmk, the 2 resellers I currently use aren't as polished as I would expect in 2024.

That'd be sweet if you could. I'm sure people would love that. I could likely help fund that some (account credit, lego cranes, etc).

As for resellers, you mean resellers with Namecrane or you mean domain registrar's elsewhere?

Francisco

Will reach out when I have some stuff <3

The 2 resellers I use aren't polished at all. (Not namecrane related) so I hope you will be polished.

• shruubshruub Member

@matey0 said:
    Afaik Njalla is only a reseller, they were denied ICANN accreditation. Also, afaik, TLD issues would result in a direct domain seizure or termination, not a clientHold? Either way, there are numerous reports of such cases and often Njalla did not respond to clientHolded customers' requests.

For the reselling part, sort of. As you see in the pdf you linked, the domains are mainly handled by Sarek Oy. Visiting sarek.fi however, you can see that they have a large amount of ccTLDs. So, all of those can also be registered on Njalla, since sarek is only a front, they don't actually accept customers. For stuff like .com, .net, .org etc., yeah, they resell someone, ai think it was InternetBS.

Concering Njalla not responding, yeah, that's what they do. They don't give a shit about their customers. It doesn't matter if it would be easy to fix, they don't care. IIRC, the recent .tv incident only got "fixed" because it wasn't their fault or something.

Thanked by 1matey0
  • one thing's for sure @SirFoxy has zero ethics. no wonder he got sacked

• matey0matey0 Member

@shruub said:
    For the reselling part, sort of. As you see in the pdf you linked, the domains are mainly handled by Sarek Oy. Visiting sarek.fi however, you can see that they have a large amount of ccTLDs. So, all of those can also be registered on Njalla, since sarek is only a front, they don't actually accept customers. For stuff like .com, .net, .org etc., yeah, they resell someone, ai think it was InternetBS.

I'm confused by this. You don't have to be ICANN accredited to sell ccTLDs? Sarek isn't listed as one https://www.icann.org/en/accredited-registrars

• kaitkait Member

@shruub said:

@matey0 said:

Concering Njalla not responding, yeah, that's what they do. They don't give a shit about their customers. It doesn't matter if it would be easy to fix, they don't care. IIRC, the recent .tv incident only got "fixed" because it wasn't their fault or something.

Njalla also resellers porkbun and namesilo AFAIK.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • emghemgh Member

@shruub said:

@emgh said:

Is there any swedish provider you haven't used?

Probably not, no

Thanked by 1shruub

@matey0 said: I'm confused by this. You don't have to be ICANN accredited to sell ccTLDs? Sarek isn't listed as one https://www.icann.org/en/accredited-registrars

Yeah I don't think most ccTLD's require you to be accredited to signup. Wouldn't make any sense.

Some of them require you operate within the country or have crazy high fees. .ca is like $1000/year in membership alone.

Francisco

• emghemgh Member

@matey0 said:

@shruub said:

I'm confused by this. You don't have to be ICANN accredited to sell ccTLDs? Sarek isn't listed as one https://www.icann.org/en/accredited-registrars

That's not up to ICANN, that's up to the registry for the ccTLD

For .SE, Internetstiftelsen, for example

I wanted to link https://internetstiftelsen.se/en/domains/how-to-register-a-domain-name/registrars/ to show you, but seems they've been removed, unless I'm blind (am I or are they actually removed?)

They were authorized previously at least: https://web.archive.org/web/20230724161710/https://internetstiftelsen.se/en/domains/how-to-register-a-domain-name/registrars/

• @Francisco said:

@matey0 said: I'm confused by this. You don't have to be ICANN accredited to sell ccTLDs? Sarek isn't listed as one https://www.icann.org/en/accredited-registrars

Yeah I don't think most ccTLD's require you to be accredited to signup. Wouldn't make any sense.

Some of them require you operate within the country or have crazy high fees. .ca is like $1000/year in membership alone.

Francisco

I think .PT is one of those. Do you have any plans to support it anytime?

• emghemgh Member

@Francisco said: Some of them require you operate within the country or have crazy high fees. .ca is like $1000/year in membership alone.

If you consider $1000/year crazy high, we probably won't see .SE & .NU I suppose (10 000 SEK application fee & 5 000 SEK / year admin fee)