Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare $10 for 1 YubiKey. - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare $10 for 1 YubiKey.

Comments

• @iamATOM said:
    Did anyone from India order it?
    Any updates on customs duties?

From what I understand the problem is with shipping and customs. Since India can't buy these cheap, I wonder why India did not start making such security keys. They have the workforce for production.

• @default said:

@iamATOM said:
    Did anyone from India order it?
    Any updates on customs duties?

From what I understand the problem is with shipping and customs. Since India can't buy these cheap, I wonder why India did not start making such security keys. They have the workforce for production.

Yes, it's really unfortunate that we still have to rely on imports for many quality things despite having the workforce. They can set up production for so many stuff if they really wanted to.... but governments.... ¯⁠\⁠⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠⁠/⁠¯

• Luke007Luke007 Member
    edited October 2022

@iamATOM said: Any updates on customs duties?

I ordered 4 Yubikey 5C NFC. Custom duty is ~ 3600 INR.

Thanked by 1iamATOM
  • iamATOMiamATOM Member
    edited October 2022

@Luke007 said:

@iamATOM said: Any updates on customs duties?

I ordered 4 Yubikey 5C NFC. Custom duty is ~ 3600 INR.

Ah, thanks. Do you mind sharing the process? Like did the delivery person collect the duty fee?

I thought the fee was optional. I ordered a case from a Chinese marketplace a few months ago and a postman delivered it to me without collecting any fee :#

• @iamATOM The shipping company usually asks the buyer to pay for the custom charges once the parcel reaches India. After receiving the payment, they do the custom clearance and ship it to the buyer.
    Chance of getting exempted from custom charges is almost nil when it is shipped by any private shipping company.

Thanked by 1iamATOM
  • @Luke007 said:
    @iamATOM The shipping company usually asks the buyer to pay for the custom charges once the parcel reaches India. After receiving the payment, they do the custom clearance and ship it to the buyer.
    Chance of getting exempted from custom charges is almost nil when it is shipped by any private shipping company.

Got it! Thank you :)

• @Luke007 said:
    @iamATOM The shipping company usually asks the buyer to pay for the custom charges once the parcel reaches India. After receiving the payment, they do the custom clearance and ship it to the buyer.

Are there any countries which are exempted or partners, for which you don't have to pay custom charges?

• @default If you import anything from abroad you must pay custom duty. But somehow some packages shipped by India Post do get exemption sometimes.

• Order placed Oct 7th to UK, expected to ship Oct 28

• It's surprising the offer is still up and people can still request coupons, even though stock might be depleted. I was expecting for the offer to be abused and closed fast.

• @default said:
    It's surprising the offer is still up and people can still request coupons, even though stock might be depleted. I was expecting for the offer to be abused and closed fast.

The offer is still up - but they seem to be rejecting people meeting the criteria or are very slow with coupons.

• They must be going crazy trying to ship all the orders, initially their email said my order would ship on the 21st, then yesterday I go to check the order status and it had changed to the 28th and today I get an email that it's just been sent from Sweden. Those dates mentioned don't seem to mean very much.

• when is this offer end?

• @s12321 said:
    when is this offer end?

On the mails they send out, it says 31th of december, or while supplies lasts (which might actually happen this trend goes on I think)

• I am wondering how many people ordered those just because of hype around this deal without real clue what to do with them. "just in case once in the future this become handy" :)

Thanked by 2s12321 crilla
  • @Mumbly said:
    I am wondering how many people ordered those just because of hype around this deal without real clue what to do with them. "just in case once in the future this become handy" :)

Many bought them for security. Yes, many do not know exactly how to use them, but they are willing to read some tutorials or watch some videos, since they were convinced enough to pay.

It is great to see people caring about security. Hopefully other producers will access this market too, to see more and more brands.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • cochoncochon Member
    edited October 2022

@default said:

@Mumbly said:
    I am wondering how many people ordered those just because of hype around this deal without real clue what to do with them. "just in case once in the future this become handy" :)

Many bought them for security. Yes, many do not know exactly how to use them, but they are willing to read some tutorials or watch some videos, since they were convinced enough to pay.

It is great to see people caring about security. Hopefully other producers will access this market too, to see more and more brands.

I think the market for separate web authentication (WebAuthn) hardware devices, for which Yubico produce the dedicated blue security keys, and which the Cloudflare initiative is mostly about, will actually diminish not grow.

New devices (IOS, Windows 11 via TPM) already contain security hardware to serve this purpose, it's only a matter of time before this starts to get leveraged so the users device serves this security/password role for most users, Apple have already started with Passkeys, and browsers could utilise TPM if there was demand, I believe Edge already can.

For this audience on LET, i.e. coders/admins etc. the real advantage here is the non WebAuthn capabilities of the multifunction black keys on offer, e.g. PGP/SSH/TOTP. Once you've got used to using keys for that you'll never look back, well worth the effort, far less interaction needed to get work done and far greater security.

For me the ability to sign/decrypt documents or log onto remote systems from a borrowed/client machine, with the comfort my private keys and TOTP secrets cannot be compromised even if the system turns out to be, is worth its weight in gold. Only those specific sessions/documents are compromised, no need to revoke and distribute new keys to protect everything else you have access to. With software TOTP or file based PGP keys, all bets are off if the device turns out to have malware and a keylogger.

Edit: still no e-mails from CF or Yubico here 2 weeks on :/

• Shipped on 11th October, received today.

• @Luke007 said:
    Shipped on 11th October, received today.

Can you please share when the customs clearance happened?

• @iamATOM Custom clearance done on 13th October

Thanked by 1iamATOM
  • mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

Got mine yesterday. Only took a few days since ordered to delivered within the US with free USPS shipping. Was impressive to say the least.

• @mmuyskens said:
    Got mine yesterday. Only took a few days since ordered to delivered within the US with free USPS shipping. Was impressive to say the least.

They have a manufacturing plant in the US, as well as Sweden, so availability and shipping will be somewhat different for the US, than for international shipments elsewhere.

• Customs coming into South Africa was ~25% of invoice value

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

@cochon said:

@mmuyskens said:

They have a manufacturing plant in the US, as well as Sweden, so availability and shipping will be somewhat different for the US, than for international shipments elsewhere.

Yep, shipped from Santa Clara I believe it was. Not home currently to confirm.

• is this promo still available? i did not see anything in my cloudflare after login. how can i get this code?

• buyserverbuyserver Member, Patron Provider

If you are a Google One subscriber, under Google One benefits, select users get
    Titan Security Key USB-A/NFC for free $30 value. I was able to get it, Google just sent me a tracking number. I do have their 10TB plan so not sure if that helps.

Thanked by 2Xrmaddness MikePT
  • @buyserver said:
    Titan Security Key USB-A/NFC for free $30 value. I was able to get it, Google just sent me a tracking number. I do have their 10TB plan so not sure if that helps.

Thanks for that, I just looked and I have one to claim as well. I have the 2TB plan.

• it is only for US, and some other country, not worldwide

• buyserverbuyserver Member, Patron Provider

@Xrmaddness said:

@buyserver said:

Thanks for that, I just looked and I have one to claim as well. I have the 2TB plan.

Awesome!

• I claimed the offer the last weekend. Hiwever haven't received the code yet.. 😕