Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Cloudflare $10 for 1 YubiKey.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Cloudflare $10 for 1 YubiKey.

ChuckChuck Member
edited November 3 in General

Log into your Cloudflare account and navigate to the dashboard to claim. Coupon code will be emailed to you from Yubico in 1-3 days. Deal valid for up to 10 keys per account.

YubiKey 5 NFC - $10 (regular price $45)

YubiKey 5C NFC - $11.60 (regular price $55)

https://blog.cloudflare.com/making-phishing-defense-seamless-cloudflare-yubico/

«13456712

Comments

  • Amazing deal, thanks for posting this. I was planning to get some extra backups during this black friday but this offer seems unbeatable.

  • CabbageCabbage Member
    edited October 1

    Kinda weird that they did not mention that this is YubiKey 5 series in that article, and instead put blue key image in it, and mention the sale is for Yubico Security Key (ie the blue one).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/yubikey/comments/xrcly7/cloudflare_deal_for_1011_keys/
    Regardless, if delivery isn't expensive, I am definitely getting one this time. Or five.

    Thanked by 1pennypay
  • cochoncochon Member
    edited October 1

    @Cabbage said:
    Kinda weird that they did not mention that this is YubiKey 5 series in that article, and instead put blue key image in it, and mention the sale is for Yubico Security Key (ie the blue one).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/yubikey/comments/xrcly7/cloudflare_deal_for_1011_keys/
    Regardless, if delivery isn't expensive, I am definitely getting one this time. Or five.

    I can't help but feel the offer was always intended to be the [blue] Security keys, and the single reddit post with the screengrab of an order for full-fat [black] keys was due to an error early in the process at Yubico.

    I'm kind of expecting that to be corrected when, or even if, my offer e-mail ever arrives. But will probably get one anyway as a third stop backup for my 2 Yubikeys, for those few services I use which do FIDO, another full key would be a bonus.

    If the offer continues for black keys, I can't see them being able to meet demand from eBay scalpers.

    Edit: Secure key => Security key

    Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • I think you need to buy 2 to get the discount. Selecting 1 failed with the coupon code for me.

    Thanked by 2ehab s12321
  • So, offer is for black keys or blue ones?

  • snow2ksnow2k Member

    @LTniger said:
    So, offer is for black keys or blue ones?

    Yubico Security Key NFC at $10 USD and the Yubico Security Key C NFC at $11.60 USD

    Thanked by 1s12321
  • cochoncochon Member

    @snow2k said:

    @LTniger said:
    So, offer is for black keys or blue ones?

    Yubico Security Key NFC at $10 USD and the Yubico Security Key C NFC at $11.60 USD

    Ah, but you've merely requoted the offer that's being questioned, you need to pick a colour... ;)

  • VoigonVoigon Member

    Damn, makes me wanna buy 10 lol

  • snow2ksnow2k Member

    @cochon said:

    @snow2k said:

    @LTniger said:
    So, offer is for black keys or blue ones?

    Yubico Security Key NFC at $10 USD and the Yubico Security Key C NFC at $11.60 USD

    Ah, but you've merely requoted the offer that's being questioned, you need to pick a colour... ;)

    Blue?

  • snow2ksnow2k Member

    @snow2k said:

    @cochon said:

    @snow2k said:

    @LTniger said:
    So, offer is for black keys or blue ones?

    Yubico Security Key NFC at $10 USD and the Yubico Security Key C NFC at $11.60 USD

    Ah, but you've merely requoted the offer that's being questioned, you need to pick a colour... ;)

    Blue?

    Or black?

    Just do a Google search and you will know ;)

  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited October 1

    @Cabbage said:
    Kinda weird that they did not mention that this is YubiKey 5 series in that article, and instead put blue key image in it, and mention the sale is for Yubico Security Key (ie the blue one).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/yubikey/comments/xrcly7/cloudflare_deal_for_1011_keys/
    Regardless, if delivery isn't expensive, I am definitely getting one this time. Or five.

    The offer is for Yubico Security Keys, but as a bonus to the first however-many lots of people who claim it, they're giving YubiKey 5 instead. It being 5 series is temporary, the offer on Security Keys is more longterm.

    The whole thing is intentional.

    Thanked by 2JeDaYoshi Cabbage
  • ChuckChuck Member

    I think I would wait for free YubiKeys.

    IF something happened, I would blame Cloudflare for not doing enough “Good for the Internet”.

  • CabbageCabbage Member
    edited October 1

    @Erisa said:

    @Cabbage said:
    Kinda weird that they did not mention that this is YubiKey 5 series in that article, and instead put blue key image in it, and mention the sale is for Yubico Security Key (ie the blue one).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/yubikey/comments/xrcly7/cloudflare_deal_for_1011_keys/
    Regardless, if delivery isn't expensive, I am definitely getting one this time. Or five.

    The offer is for Yubico Security Keys, but as a bonus to the first however-many lots of people who claim it, they're giving YubiKey 5 instead. It being 5 series is temporary, the offer on Security Keys is more longterm.

    The whole thing is intentional.

    Fuck me, my email hasn't arrived yet. Either way, thank you for clarification.
    On that matter, how long did it take for those who did receive the key? I'm reaching 24 hours since clicking claim button and counting, but it's just me being impatient.

  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 1

    I got 5 :)

  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

    @Cabbage said:

    @Erisa said:

    @Cabbage said:
    Kinda weird that they did not mention that this is YubiKey 5 series in that article, and instead put blue key image in it, and mention the sale is for Yubico Security Key (ie the blue one).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/yubikey/comments/xrcly7/cloudflare_deal_for_1011_keys/
    Regardless, if delivery isn't expensive, I am definitely getting one this time. Or five.

    The offer is for Yubico Security Keys, but as a bonus to the first however-many lots of people who claim it, they're giving YubiKey 5 instead. It being 5 series is temporary, the offer on Security Keys is more longterm.

    The whole thing is intentional.

    Fuck me, my email hasn't arrived yet. Either way, thank you for clarification.
    On that matter, how long did it take for those who did receive the key? I'm reaching 24 hours since clicking claim button and counting, but it's just me being impatient.

    I clicked claim in the afternoon and I got the email during the night (a few days ago)

  • You need to order 2 to get the discount, not 1. Right?
    Or I missed something?

  • ailiceailice Member

    Just curious is it possible backup the key If someday I lost my yubikey? I see mixed information online.

  • ErisaErisa Member

    @dotcomUNDERGROUND said:
    You need to order 2 to get the discount, not 1. Right?
    Or I missed something?

    Correct, the wording of the title is misleading. The minimum order is 2 and maximum is 10.

    @ailice said:
    Just curious is it possible backup the key If someday I lost my yubikey? I see mixed information online.

    No. All data is stored on the key and cannot leave it, this is intentional for the security benefit they bring. Yubico recommends that you buy two, add sites to both and then keep one in a safe place.

  • ailiceailice Member

    @Erisa said:
    No. All data is stored on the key and cannot leave it, this is intentional for the security benefit they bring. Yubico recommends that you buy two, add sites to both and then keep one in a safe place.

    That make sense now, for now coupon still not coming or they hate my pw domain...

  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider
    edited October 2

    Thank you for posting this. Super useful. I'll order at least 2 of those. Still waiting for their email.

    I have set this thread as an announcement. It benefits our community a lot.

    Cheers!

    Thanked by 1PandaRain
  • @MikePT said:
    Thank you for posting this. Super useful. I'll order at least 2 of those. Still waiting for their email.

    I have set this thread as an announcement. It benefits our community a lot.

    Cheers!

    Great idea. Thank you for making this a sticky.

    We need to keep an eye on the offer for when it expires. I don't think this offer will last more than a few days. Some companies most likely already started making free accounts to buy many Yubikeys for cheap and sell later on full price. It's just too easy to abuse such offer.

    Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider

    @default said:

    @MikePT said:
    Thank you for posting this. Super useful. I'll order at least 2 of those. Still waiting for their email.

    I have set this thread as an announcement. It benefits our community a lot.

    Cheers!

    Great idea. Thank you for making this a sticky.

    We need to keep an eye on the offer for when it expires. I don't think this offer will last more than a few days. Some companies most likely already started making free accounts to buy many Yubikeys for cheap and sell later on full price. It's just too easy to abuse such offer.

    You're welcome!

    Indeed, I agree with you there!

  • Given the emails with coupons have slowed down, I think all the early hoarders ruined it for the rest of us.

    Thanked by 1MikePT
  • LisoLiso Member

    @default said: Some companies most likely already started making free accounts to buy many Yubikeys for cheap and sell later on full price. It's just too easy to abuse such offer.

    I really-- really-- really hate people like that.

  • iNanjaiNanja Member

    This looks similar to a flash drive; does it act like a flash drive though? What I mean is what happens if I pull it out prematurely? Like some flash drives I've had needed to be reformatted or became corrupt if I didn't use the "safe" removal of a flash drive. Would this be the same?

  • ChuckChuck Member

    @iNanja said:
    This looks similar to a flash drive; does it act like a flash drive though? What I mean is what happens if I pull it out prematurely? Like some flash drives I've had needed to be reformatted or became corrupt if I didn't use the "safe" removal of a flash drive. Would this be the same?

    I don't understand why some people pull out prematurely.

    Thanked by 1stevewatson301
  • edited October 3

    @iNanja said:
    This looks similar to a flash drive; does it act like a flash drive though? What I mean is what happens if I pull it out prematurely? Like some flash drives I've had needed to be reformatted or became corrupt if I didn't use the "safe" removal of a flash drive. Would this be the same?

    The problem with not properly unmounting flash drives is pending writes not making it too the drive leaving file contents or parts of the filesystem structure in a partially updated, so corrupt, state.

    These keys are not being written to like that so just pulling then out should not be an issue. With a priority designed key there should be no electrical reason for pulling out, even while active, to cause issues.

    @Chuck said:
    I don't understand why some people pull out prematurely.

    Money shot!

    Thanked by 2Chuck stevewatson301
  • cochoncochon Member

    @iNanja said:
    This looks similar to a flash drive; does it act like a flash drive though?

    No they're more like the embedded microcontroller chip in a pin enabled payment card, think Arduino rather than flash drive. As @MeAtExampleDotCom says very little writing to flash memory actually occurs, it's mostly running internal crypto code in its RAM against secrets you've pushed into the device like TOTP or PGP keys, and that gets rebooted every time you plug it in.

    I unplug mine frequently very unceremoniously, as it's on my keyring, and have never experienced any glitches. In fact there is no GUI option to 'unmount' the key for safe removal, like there is for a flash drive.

  • @Chuck said:

    @iNanja said:
    [...] What I mean is what happens if I pull it out prematurely?

    I don't understand why some people pull out prematurely.

    To not have it all taken away and to not become abused. One can find themselves into a lot of trouble, even in court of law, if all of it is taken.

    Thanked by 1Chuck
  • I havnt recived the email .
    even though i have multiple buisness plans.
    Is this possible that region matters ?

Sign In or Register to comment.