Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2021

@yoursunny said: We shall all un-fran our networks.
    They charge Azure prices and provide Mzungu reliability.
    They also actively support criminals by allowing Tor exits, which have been used in attacking other websites.

Nothing wrong with a Tor exit, there's something wrong with some of the people who use them. Similar to guns and butt-plugs.

Also: @Francisco gonna sue yo ass.

Thanked by 2dahartigan tr1cky
  • user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

OK, I think that's where there's confusion. In stallion, ONLINE means that the process is running on our end. We have no idea if a VM is 'booted up' or things like that, we just know that on our end the process is running as it should.
    Francisco

The process is running as it should?! Really? The hard drive for the VPS was at your house and you consider "that on our end the process is running as it should"

I can't even... I feel like such a fool that this is the company I trusted my workspaces with for many months. I think I understand everything very clearly now, and on your "end the process is running as it should"

Thanked by 1default
  • @user37489 said: The process is running as it should?! Really? The hard drive for the VPS is at your house and you consider "that on our end the process is running as it should"

To be fair they did once run service out of someone's basement, so hard drives being out of the DC is no big deal.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The show must go on.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited November 2021

@Francisco said: OK, I think that's where there's confusion. In stallion, ONLINE means that the process is running on our end. We have no idea if a VM is 'booted up' or things like that, we just know that on our end the process is running as it should.

If I understand correctly the whole node was removed from rack and Stallion still showed 'online'? That is totally shitty and now I little more understand why OP is angry. I am not sure if you need telemetry for that /s

Also on top of e-mails (that seems to be a miss) please automagically (or manually) open tickets for user so he will see that in panel. I can assume people did not log to mail on weekend, but if he already logged into Stallion then he would get some notification there and got some infos.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@user37489 said: The process is running as it should?! Really? The hard drive for the VPS is at your house and you consider "that on our end the process is running as it should"

We have users that never install an OS and instead live inside of a live CD (super privacy advocates on KaliLinux and such). How should we mark them? Online? Offline?

The best feedback we have, without involving some sort of telemetry, is to just check that the process is running.

Francisco

@JabJab said: If I understand correctly the whole node was removed from rack and Stallion still showed 'online'? That is totally shitty and now I little more understand why OP is angry. I am not sure if you need telemetry for that...

No, not at all. Stallion pulls right from virsh every 5 seconds and then reports that to the user. There's no caching (which is good and bad).

The user won't show the log, but i'll bet a good lunch it was the support staff giving it a bootup themselves. If the user PM's me his email I can find that.

Francisco

• @jar said:

@user37489 said:
    Can a mod delete this entire thread. I've come to the conclusion that low end talk is basically just a marketing forum for BuyVM, and everyone here loves BuyVM.

Everyone stresses the importance of external backups, yet no one has ever actually backed up a Windows VPS. 6 pages of useless comments.

I've already received my refund, and my colleagues will likely request there's too.

I'm done, please delete. I'll learn how to externally back up a Windows VPS on my own, because no one here, besides my Francisco, has a clue.

This is not at all the case. I understand that some people want to make accusations like that, but it isn't the case. You cannot backup a full disk image of a Windows machine and carry it from provider to provider. This cannot happen. Take your hard drive out of your computer, shove it into an entirely different computer, and see if it boots. It will not. This isn't about marketing or not having a clue, it's about exactly what you're asking. You're just not happy with the answer.

When every single one of us mentions backups, we mean backup your data so that you can port it to a fresh OS install on a new system.

Obvioslly I have a back up of my documents in google drive... BUt there is a lot more > @JabJab said:

@Francisco said: OK, I think that's where there's confusion. In stallion, ONLINE means that the process is running on our end. We have no idea if a VM is 'booted up' or things like that, we just know that on our end the process is running as it should.

If I understand correctly the whole node was removed from rack and Stallion still showed 'online'? That is totally shitty and now I little more understand why OP is angry. I am not sure if you need telemetry for that /s

Also on top of e-mails (that seems to be a miss) please automagically (or manually) open tickets for user so he will see that in panel. I can assume people did not log to mail on weekend, but if he already logged into Stallion then he would get some notification there and got some infos.

Yes, thank you, you understand correctly

Thanked by 1jar

@user37489 said: Yes, thank you, you understand correctly

PM me your email then :) Lets put it to rest.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: NFS for the time being. SMB over a WAN is a bad friggin' idea.

I've been meaning to play around with a Veeam replication server but haven't yet

But isn't NFS over WAN dangerous?

@Hotmarer said: But isn't NFS over WAN dangerous?

Yeah, you should wrap it in a VPN of sorts.

Francisco

edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

@JabJab said: If I understand correctly the whole node was removed from rack and Stallion still showed 'online'? That is totally shitty and now I little more understand why OP is angry. I am not sure if you need telemetry for that...

No, not at all. Stallion pulls right from virsh every 5 seconds and then reports that to the user. There's no caching (which is good and bad).

The user won't show the log, but i'll bet a good lunch it was the support staff giving it a bootup themselves. If the user PM's me his email I can find that.

Francisco

Again, I don't understand what you are so hung up about with support staff and reboots?

What don't you understand that Stallion on Sunday showed status ONLINE, when in fact the VPS hard drives were removed on Friday, and were at your house?

Also, before I opened the ticket, I rebooted the VPS in Stallion, and Stallion still showed Online. That is a fact, and I'm not hiding anything. I've already received my refund, so I don't really care. If you're staff tried to also reboot again after I opened the ticket, that is not what this discussion is about.

I've logged into Stallion again right now, and it says I don't have any virtual servers. Where do i find the log? You know my account because you already issued me a refund. Go look for yourself in the logs that I did a reboot in Stallion BEFORE opening the ticket, and Stallion still showed Online.

@user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Again, I don't understand what you are so hung up about with support staff and reboots?

What don't you understand that Stallion on Sunday showed status ONLINE, when in fact the VPS hard drives were removed on Friday, and were at your house?

I've logged into Stallion again right now, and it says I don't have any virtual servers. Where do i find the log?

Because you keep bringing it up about how it was online. I wanted to poke through the log to see who issues the 'start' command, but it wasn't a mass boot by me.

We're going in circles. I'll go just dig for your ticket later when I get through the rest of my morning queue.

Francisco

Thanked by 1dystopia
    edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

@user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

I've logged into Stallion again right now, and it says I don't have any virtual servers. Where do i find the log?

Because you keep bringing it up about how it was online. I wanted to poke through the log to see who issues the 'start' command, but it wasn't a mass boot by me.

We're going in circles. I'll go just dig for your ticket later when I get through the rest of my morning queue.

Francisco

I bring up how it was online because that is crucial to my source of frustration.

Stallion shows online, even when the VPS was obviouslly unracked the and hard drives were in your home.

Then I rebooted in Stallion, and it still showed Online. Then I opened the support ticket.> @Francisco said:

Francisco

Yes, exactly what @JabJab said. I only found out about what happened when your helpful support person replied to my ticket letting me know BuyVM lost everything. And Stallion still showed Online for the VPS.

Perhaps we just have different definitions of what the word online means.

• @user37489 said:

As I understand it the drives were replaced. Hence, the vps was running again and the old drives were at Frans house.

Thanked by 2yoursunny jsg

@user37489 said: Stallion shows online, even when the VPS was obviouslly unracked the and hard drives were in your home.

Get me your email. I'm not going to go in circles on this. I'll pull whatever logs I still have (should have something) and we'll go from there.

No 'mass boot' was issued after the incident. There was no reason to for this very reason.

Francisco

edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

@user37489 said: Stallion shows online, even when the VPS was obviouslly unracked the and hard drives were in your home.

Get me your email. I'm not going to go in circles on this. I'll pull whatever logs I still have (should have something) and we'll go from there.

No 'mass boot' was issued after the incident. There was no reason to for this very reason.

Francisco

I don't know what a mass boot is or why you keep bringing it up.

My problem with BuyVM is that is shows VPS online, when it very clearly was deleted by BuyVM. But you've already answer the reason it showed Online was because from your end, it was working as expected.

I just needed to learn to **REALLY **lower my expectations.

• I understand op's frustration, but I also understand BuyVM.

My only concern is what has been promised and what has been delivered?
    Did BuyVM promise to take backups? Did op ever pay for backups?

Op, I fully understand your frustration, but just because you expect something does not make a provider obliged to deliver it. You have to carefully examine what you are paying for and make sure it is exactly what you expect, or else move elsewhere. A provider has no way of knowing what you think you are buying, they can only provide what they are actually selling.

• @Francisco said:
    In stallion, ONLINE means that the process is running on our end. We have no idea if a VM is 'booted up' or things like that, we just know that on our end the process is running as it should.

@rcy026 said:
    I understand op's frustration, but I also understand BuyVM.

My only concern is what has been promised and what has been delivered?

No, OP's plan doesn't have any backup promised. But, given he is paying 60 bucks a month for it, he assumed that Fran should have had a backup.

• @deank said:
    No, OP's plan doesn't have any backup promised. But, given he is paying 60 bucks a month for it, he assumed that Fran should have had a backup.

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

To be fair, OP is a victim, but he has dug himself a hole and have somehow made Fran look better.

This is a fail at the highest dose of PMS.

edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

OK, I think that's where there's confusion. In stallion, ONLINE means that the process is running on our end. We have no idea if a VM is 'booted up' or things like that, we just know that on our end the process is running as it should.

Francisco

Yes, I think you nailed it. This is where the confusion is coming from.

I did not expect that ONLINE in the VPS control panel could mean that the node was unracked several days ago and the hard drive with my data is sitting disconnected at the owner's house.

Now that I have reset my expectations and learned BuyVM's alternative definitions of ONLINE, I see that you're right and the VPS was actually 100% online...

• @rcy026 said:

@deank said:

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Correct. At $60/month it is too low to have some cold-storage backup included for low-end market. That is way too low, there is no room for any profits.

/sarcasm

• @FAT32 said:
    Guys I don't know why you all are bashing the OP. It is true that the provider did lost customer's data, but it is not intentional, shit happens.

Most normal users that I know didn't keep a backup at all, so it is quite common that someone doesn't have a backup. OP even paid for $60/m for his service and is not a Low End cheapskate.

Yes everyone should have backups, but still I don't see any reasons to make someone feel even worse when they already lost their data. It sure is a lesson to be learned, but let's focus on giving proper advises such as how to backup data, or where to look for good managed service.

Should I have made a backup of my 10 TB VPS too? Okay :/

I think if Fran tests his innovations on the working node and he doesn't make a backup of the node...his company shoudn't be called premium anymore. Just my 2 cents.

• @RedSox said: Should I have made a backup of my 10 TB VPS too?

Only if you value the data.

@rcy026 said: My only concern is what has been promised and what has been delivered?

Those plans don't include backups. No plans include automated backups for free unless I gifted it (usually degenerates from Discord, people that ask on here, etc).

Past that we include Snapshots for free. They must be manually triggered by the user. A user can keep up to 5 at any given time per location.

@user37489 said: Now that I have reset my expectations and learned BuyVM's definition of ONLINE, I see that you're right and the VPS was actually online all along! 100% online...

This is how basically every VPS panel handles it. Solus, Virtualizor, Vultr, DO, Linode. Maybe DO & Linode can be a bit smarter about it if you have their Agent installed, but I'd guess if you don't it just goes by 'process status' like we do.

Francisco

@RedSox said: I think if Fran tests his innovations on the working node and he doesn't make a backup of the node...his company shoudn't be called premium anymore. Just my 2 cents.

There's no innovation here. This isn't some 'new idea' to use a riser instead. I bet over half of the market already does that to bypass the performance hit the onboard ports do.

More likely the NVME fried and caused all the issues.

Are you going to message every provider and ask if they use a riser in their server for NVMEs? Tons do. Many are favorites around these parts.

Francisco

@default said: Correct. At $60/month it is too low to have some cold-storage backup included for low-end market. That is way too low, there is no room for any profits.

Go signup with any of the big providers. DO, Linode, Vultr, whatever. Pick a plan. Any plan.

Wait a few days, then ticket and say you need them to restore a backup because you lost your data.

Let me know which of them pulled a backup from their DR nodes w/o you paying for those backups.

Francisco

This discussion has been closed.