Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• I was wondering if Fran will offer an automatic backup solutions for their storage slabs too.

I am running DirectAdmin on their Slices with Slabs attached to store website files and I wouldn't mind paying more if there's an option to backup both the Slices and Slabs.

• Data not backed up = toy/hobby/giggle material.

Managed services can still fail. SLA means nothing (it just means you get reimbursed for failure). It doesn't mean you get you data back.

Backup to multiple places the number of which is proportional to how important your data is.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Why is this thread still going on?

Fran already committed seppuku for his sin, and his clone replaced him. What moer do you want?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @caracal said:
    This is weird. Free backup for life is making me somehow wish for a crash on my node.

Yes, I hope that as well. Free backup for my VPS though 5 snapshots is okay.

@Francisco let me have the free backup please. Hehe...

• alexgoldalexgold Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

@Francisco said:
    First off, sorry. It was a crappy day for sure.

We sent emails but mailgun's been a bit spotty. Still, single node.

This was a node we were testing a different configuration on (PCIe riser for the NVMe's instead of the onboard m.2's). We think a drive may have been bugging out, died, and damaged the riser card and the other drive attached to the card.

I've brought both drives home to work on but haven't had luck in getting them to power on. Neither wants to, they don't get at all warm. Moved them to different chassis, different motherboards, use the onboard slots, etc.

We've offered everyone 3 months credit as well as free backups going forward.

If you have a snapshot taken (they're free in the panel) then you can restore that.

Francisco

Ridiculous answer.

1.) You do not have a Disaster backup? These are VMs, Very not that hard (also not expensive) to get a very very basic backup plan of the virtualizations in case of something unexpected that happened because of you (company side).

2.) If the disks are damaged and customer files are in danger (for some people this can be a real loss of information). I would expect more from a company owner than "I took the disks home"
    There is no shortage of companies that specialize in data recovery and disks, which If you really cared and took responsibility for it - you would take care of it as it should be taken care of.

In addition to all this, you wrote:
    "This was a node we were testing a different configuration on (PCIe riser for the NVMe's instead of the onboard m.2's). "

Wow. ABSURD.

It's hard for me to accept the fact that there are companies that run this way.

Wonderful week
    Alex

Thanked by 1Server
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited November 2021

and all that for 3.5$ per month! Disaster recovery included and sending your drives (with client data, totally not a breach) to specialized company.

y0, Alex, set your expectation to the price level - this is LowEndTalk not EnterpriseTalk.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited November 2021

@alexgold said: You do not have a Disaster backup? These are VMs, Very not that hard (also not expensive) to get a very very basic backup plan of the virtualizations in case of something unexpected that happened

• alexgoldalexgold Member, Host Rep

@JabJab said:
    and all that for 3.5$ per month! Disaster recovery included and sending your drives (with client data, totally not a breach) to specialized company.

y0, Alex, set your expectation to the price level - this is LowEndTalk not EnterpriseTalk.

I didn't check the price, although it does not really matter. Even if the price is cheap - there are still basic things that should have been done. And more than that, a different form of the servers infrastructure management.

Thanked by 1user37489

Price does matter though.

The lower you go, the less there are to what one considers "basic".

At 3.5/mo, personally I'd expect the host to keep things online and that's it. No room for anything else.

• @alexgold said:

@JabJab said:

I didn't check the price, although it does not really matter. Even if the price is cheap - there are still basic things that should have been done. And more than that, a different form of the servers infrastructure management.

Op here, thank you, and that's what I thought to.

By the way, BuyVM was not that cheap. Maybe if the VPS was with http://cheapwindowsvps.com/plans.php ($32/mo) and they deleted the VPS, then I could understand everyone's comments that... well it was cheap! what did you expect?!

I was paying BuyVM $60 per month for 4x CPU, 16gb RAM. That is almost the same price as Windows cloud PC with same specs, for managed service. For almost the same price, I'm obviously switching to Windows 365 and BuyVM can keep their generous 3 months credit.

Windows 365 Pricing: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-365/business/compare-plans-pricing

I guess I just expected better from BuyVM, and was extremely frustrated and disappointed by what happened, and their lack of response. They didn't even reach out to me on Friday when it happened, giving me the weekend to set everything up again in a new VPS. Instead, I needed to find out about it myself on Sunday when I needed to use the VPS for work, and RDP wouldn't connect. So I open Stallion, their VPS control panel, and it shows that the VPS is online! Status is green. I spend time rebooting it, trying to figure out what is wrong...
    Then I open a support ticket, and come to find out everything is gone.

• .The idea a vps host is responsible for your lack of Backups beyond a service credit is insane. If the client wants to pay for data recovery go for it, I don't think Fran would object but it's not realistic for a vps provider to be burdened with a massive cost due to their clients failure to follow best practices. No claims were made to keep your data backed up so you get what you deserve. Learn something from this personally instead of blaming provider.

• @deank said:
    Price does matter though.

The lower you go, the less there are to what one considers "basic".

At 3.5/mo, personally I'd expect the host to keep things online and that's it. No room for anything else.

I believe OP was paying $60 per month

Having said that, in my opinion, it was OP’s responsibility as well to take Backups/Snapshots to mitigate against data loss.

If it was 60/mo, Fran needs to be banned or commit seppuku.

No excuses. 60/m is RackSpace level of premium.

• user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

@james50a said:
    .The idea a vps host is responsible for your lack of Backups beyond a service credit is insane. If the client wants to pay for data recovery go for it, I don't think Fran would object but it's not realistic for a vps provider to be burdened with a massive cost due to their clients failure to follow best practices. No claims were made to keep your data backed up so you get what you deserve. Learn something from this personally instead of blaming provider.

What about the lack of notification from the VPS host? Is a VPS host at least responsible for notifying their users when they know a node is offline? Not only was there no notification, they even lied about it on their control panel showing that the VPS is online.

Here is the timeline:
    The drives failed on Friday.
    Sunday I cannot RDP. Log into their VPS control panel, Stallion, and it shows the VPS status is online. I reboot it a couple of time. Still cannot connect.
    Open a ticket with support, and told that the VPS drives failed and all my data is lost.

Somewhere between Friday and Sunday, they apparently even took the drives home. Had I been informed on Friday when it happened, I could have spent the weekend reinstalling my apps and recreating my workstation. Instead, BuyVM was silent and waited for me to open a ticket on Sunday to learn about what happened.

@Francisco said: We sent emails but mailgun's been a bit spotty

Apparently, it is also my fault I didn't receive the notification because "mailgun's been a bit spotty"... What a joke...

I understand all of the recommendations about data backup. Fine.

But what about notification from the VPS host? That I still blame them for.

When OVH had their fire, they notified customers and didn't try to hide it like BuyVM, waiting for me to find it myself.

Actually, when OVH had fire, people found out way before the officials did.

And they couldn't hide it since it was a literal fireball that could be seen from miles away. Even local news picked it up and put it on theirs.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited November 2021

Giving OVH as an example of 'good communication' is laughable. Go check theirs 'timeline', when the "credit" arrives, when people got any human responses to tickets. They were fast to inform (as deank commented - it was hard to hide :D) and then everything went to shambles.

also pretty sure @Francisco send e-mails (he claims that), but blamed it on Mailgun - you sure it's not in your spam folder or something? Do you use some very strict mail? Sure, Franciso could work on the notifications - maybe automagically open ticket too and send additional notification via usual channels?

You are overreacting a little and blaming everything around what is possible. Yes, you got unlucky, but that is hardware, it can happen anywhere, any day. Have backups.

3.5$ was an example - sure, op paid 60$... for 16GB of RAM and 4 dedicated cores. Do the math.

// This reminded me that OVH stored some external paid backups in the same room as some VPSes and it all went into the cloud. Yes, same room, not even talking about same DC :D

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • if I am not mistaken, any VPS >= $30 at BuyVM
    is entitled for managed services at no additional cost.

Not sure, if OP had opted for that option.

• @JabJab said:
    Giving OVH as an example of 'good communication' is laughable. Go check theirs 'timeline', when the "credit" arrives, when people got any human responses to tickets. They were fast to inform (as deank commented - it was hard to hide :D) and then everything went to shambles.

also pretty sure @Francisco send e-mails (he claims that), but blamed it on Mailgun - you sure it's not in your spam folder or something? Do you use some very strict mail? Sure, Franciso could work on the notifications - maybe automagically open ticket too and send additional notification via usual channels?

You are overreacting a little and blaming everything around what is possible. Yes, you got unlucky, but that is hardware, it can happen anywhere, any day. Have backups.

3.5$ was an example - sure, op paid 60$... for 16GB of RAM and 4 dedicated cores. Do the math.

It was just a gmail address, and there are no filters or rules, nothing in spam or deleted, so I would have received the email if it was actually sent.

I guess at this point, there's nothing left to say and I'm convinced everyone on this board is either a BuyVM alt account or have been conditioned to have such low expectations from lowendtalk VPS hosts that they just accept the bad customer service and abuse. Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

If BuyVM was half the price of Windows 365 VPS, I'd understand the need to self manage... but I'm now on Windows 365 VPS, and for $66 per month it is 4x CPU, 16gb RAM, and includes managed service so there is no need for backups. Everything is done on their end.

So with that, I'm done posting here. You all can flood the rest of the comments with how amazing BuyVM is and memes about backing up your data

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@user37489 said:
    What about the lack of notification from the VPS host? Is a VPS host at least responsible for notifying their users when they know a node is offline? Not only was there no notification, they even lied about it on their control panel showing that the VPS is online.

Here is the timeline:
    The drives failed on Friday.
    Sunday I cannot RDP. Log into their VPS control panel, Stallion, and it shows the VPS status is online. I reboot it a couple of time. Still cannot connect.
    Open a ticket with support, and told that the VPS drives failed and all my data is lost.

Somewhere between Friday and Sunday, they apparently even took the drives home. Had I been informed on Friday when it happened, I could have spent the weekend reinstalling my apps and recreating my workstation. Instead, BuyVM was silent and waited for me to open a ticket on Sunday to learn about what happened.

We sent emails. If you didn't get one then we can check our mailgun logs to see why. Maybe you marked an email from us as SPAM before? Who knows. Maybe we need to move up from mailgun, but I'm not sure who's better than them.

@Francisco said: We sent emails but mailgun's been a bit spotty

Apparently, it is also my fault I didn't receive the notification because "mailgun's been a bit spotty"... What a joke...

Not your fault or my fault on that either. We can check our logs but emails a bitch, even with paid whitelisting.

I understand all of the recommendations about data backup. Fine.

But what about notification from the VPS host? That I still blame them for.

When OVH had their fire, they notified customers and didn't try to hide it like BuyVM, waiting for me to find it myself.

OVH was literally on fire. Literally. The place burnt to the ground. It's kind of hard to 'hide' that.

You bring up Windows 365, but for $66/month you would have had full backups from us and double the storage (320GB vs the 128GB you get on 365). You've been with us since the start of this year, but backups have been available as a paid addon in all locations since early/late last year. Snapshots are also free for every plan in all locations.

Even LUX had backups/snapshots before Christmas 2020. Vegas, where you are, got them in...Summer 2020? Spring? I'd have to check my postings.

Listen, I hate having to sit here and "fight back" on this one. We've apologized, we've assisted users as best we can, we've given what we've felt is fair credit. We've enabled full backups for everyone that wants them (some people really don't want them and they accept that fate).

By all means. I'd love to include at least a weekly backup for everyone, but expecting us to turn up nearly a PB of "fast enough" storage in Vegas alone, just for that freebie, is a tough one, even if Chia died tomorrow.

Simply having the storage isn't enough. It has to be fast enough to absorb 500 - 600TB, or more, within a reasonable amount of time ( < 1 week). Sustaining 1GB - 2GB/sec constantly still puts a full backup run taking 3 - 4 days, not counting other jobs coming up (like all the people that do pay for daily backups, snapshots being taken, etc).

Francisco

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@user37489 said: If BuyVM is losing their customer data this often, perhaps they shouldn't be let off the hook so easily.

I'm not backing up Fran or BuyVM but with regards to hardware failures and what not, this kinda stuff happens, even in Enterprise environments, large corporations, Fortune 100/500 companies etc., but it's just that not everything makes it to the news/headlines.

Point is, if you care about your belongings, just start taking backups/snapshots, that's all.

If cost is not an issue for you, pay for managed services and have people do it for you.

Thanked by 3maverickp skorous ralf
  • @user37489 said:
    If BuyVM was half the price of Windows 365 VPS, I'd understand the need to self manage... but I'm now on Windows 365 VPS, and for $66 per month it is 4x CPU, 16gb RAM, and includes managed service so there is no need for backups. Everything is done on their end.

There is always a need for backups. It's spectacular that you've failed to take away that single lesson from all this.

The end, I've heard, is nigh.

• @user37489 said: I guess at this point, there's nothing left to say and I'm convinced everyone on this board is either a BuyVM alt account or have been conditioned to have such low expectations from lowendtalk VPS hosts that they just accept the bad customer service and abuse. Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

No, we just have appropriate/normal expectation - VPS is managed by you, you are responsible for backups* (there are even hosts that will tell you that you are responsible of clicking "Power ON" on VM after outage, lol). BuyVM never claims that they have backups or any disaster recovery (bah, they even have paid backup options - you think having paid backup would work if they have their own "free" one and you can just message support?). This is how world works unfortunately, nothing is free.

• on that note about backups - I would never trust backups from provider (I mean if they are free then cool, will have them), but I will still have external backup in totally different place. There is too many things that can go wrong. From provider being stupid and hosting them in same place (OVH), provider making ooopsie and backups "are running", but they are empty/broken to even such stupid thing as provider having all servers with one company and theirs "WHMCS" had a bug and deleted some servers from account, DC hands reformatted drives before someone could take care of it (timezones, weekends, etc.)

OP is certainly entitled to complain because he has done nothing wrong.

At the same time, the amount of entitlements he claims to have is so wrong that I might as well claim Nekki is Fran.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@alexgold said:

@Francisco said:
    First off, sorry. It was a crappy day for sure.

We sent emails but mailgun's been a bit spotty. Still, single node.

This was a node we were testing a different configuration on (PCIe riser for the NVMe's instead of the onboard m.2's). We think a drive may have been bugging out, died, and damaged the riser card and the other drive attached to the card.

I've brought both drives home to work on but haven't had luck in getting them to power on. Neither wants to, they don't get at all warm. Moved them to different chassis, different motherboards, use the onboard slots, etc.

We've offered everyone 3 months credit as well as free backups going forward.

If you have a snapshot taken (they're free in the panel) then you can restore that.

Francisco

Ridiculous answer.

1.) You do not have a Disaster backup? These are VMs, Very not that hard (also not expensive) to get a very very basic backup plan of the virtualizations in case of something unexpected that happened because of you (company side).

2.) If the disks are damaged and customer files are in danger (for some people this can be a real loss of information). I would expect more from a company owner than "I took the disks home"
    There is no shortage of companies that specialize in data recovery and disks, which If you really cared and took responsibility for it - you would take care of it as it should be taken care of.

In addition to all this, you wrote:
    "This was a node we were testing a different configuration on (PCIe riser for the NVMe's instead of the onboard m.2's). "

Wow. ABSURD.

It's hard for me to accept the fact that there are companies that run this way.

Wonderful week
    Alex

From the look of it you have VMs somewhere that you think are getting backed up and won't result in data loss if a hardware problem occurs. Most likely you're wrong, and you're playing with fire because your expectations are not consistent with reality. How you feel about that is irrelevant, the fact is no one is backing up your VM if you're not paying a backup fee. Not one single host. If you're paying $40/m for a 1GB memory VPS somewhere, they're pocketing $39/m and not making backups for you. If your reaction to this new knowledge isn't to rush and start making your own backups, your data must not be important. Because I promise, the fact that you'll be upset about it isn't changing it. If you don't have your own backups, Wow. ABSURD. It's hard for me to believe that there are customers that run this way.

Wonderful week
    Jar

Thanked by notjaripromise

Thanked by 1skorupion
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited November 2021

also @user37489 I would strongly suggest PMing Fran your gmail address that you did not received e-mail so he can check logs - even if you hate him. If that was sent via Mailgun and not delivered at all you can have a lot of missing e-mails in future (or already have) from totally different brands - Mailgun is quite popular and a lot of companies use that.

• @deank said: At the same time, the amount of entitlements he claims to have is so wrong that I might as well claim Nekki is Fran.

I mean he's got some of me in him, but I wouldn't say he's me....

@Nekki said: I mean he's got some of me in him

What you do in the privacy of your own hotel room is between the two of you.

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

Provider lost customer's data. Period. Blaming the customer for backups is irrelevant.

• @jar said: What you do in the privacy of your own hotel room is between the two of you.

Fran won't spring for a hotel room, the closest we get to privacy is the bathroom of a Tim Hortons.

@default said:
    Provider lost customer's data. Period. Blaming the customer for backups is irrelevant.

It's still a good thing to teach people the things they need to know to self host in the industry.

Thanked by 2skorous maverickp
This discussion has been closed.