Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@bkj said: AWS

One of our customers provides us Virtual Desktops (Amazon WorkSpaces) to access and carry out work in their environment.

It's been good so far.

Thanked by 1user37489
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Francisco said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Can you please tell us which Riser Card you were using ?? Because, I'm testing out some components which includes running NVMe in PCIe Riser Card.

That's the thing, I was using the Supermicro one, I didn't cheap out on some alibaba special. Lots of people use them so that's why i'm not certain it was even the problem.

Francisco

Then I think, it's not only about the PCIe thing. There must be some other malfunction which cause the PCIe Riser to be fried.

• @FAT32 said:

@user37489 said:
    Any other suggestions for quick and easy Windows VPS snapshot? Ideally something that I can just save to my local computer, and then use on any other VPS with any other host.

Sorry that I dont know how to do it, I dont really use Windows nowaday and never did a proper Windows VPS snapshot.

However, since you mentioned that you are using Excel, why not use OneDrive / Office 365 which has cloud service built in so you can save your files there?

Alternatively, you can also consider Dropbox or Google Drive and you can store your files there directly, which will be synchronised with cloud.

Mainly because I have some excel macros that won't run on a phone. So for example when we're out in the the field working, I would open up RDP through the phone app, and in the Windows server have excel installed, so can run all of my excel macros. It wasn't for saving files, but just to run windows only applications through the phone. There were some other company apps on there that are Windows only too.

• @angstrom said:
    Well, we already knew that you didn't like BuyVM (at least since @Francisco dared to say something negative about how @cociu handled things), so no need to repeat yourself.

True, I do not like BuyVM, but it's not just related to @cociu - it's more than that, like the sue which was promised and never done by @Francisco for example.

Regarding @cociu ... I dare say this time backups of BuyVM got involucrated.

• @DP said:

One of our customers provides us Virtual Desktops (Amazon WorkSpaces) to access and carry out work in their environment.

It's been good so far.

Thank you, I will check out Amazon WorkSpaces as well. With Amazon WorkSpaces, do I also need to have external back ups of back ups of more back ups like with BuyVM?

I'm trying to learn my lesson, but can't figure out how to externally back up a Windows VPS, which can then be used to restore the VPS with any other host.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@user37489 said:

@DP said:

It's been good so far.

Thank you, I will check out Amazon WorkSpaces as well. With Amazon WorkSpaces, do I also need to have external back ups of back ups of more back ups like with BuyVM?

I'm trying to learn my lesson, but can't figure out how to externally back up a Windows VPS, which can then be used to restore the VPS with any other host.

Yeah that's pretty hard to do, really impossible to do it and have it be portable. It's better to backup the data specific to you and have that ready to drop into a new Windows installation. Documents, etc.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Then I think, it's not only about the PCIe thing. There must be some other malfunction which cause the PCIe Riser to be fried.

I've only been playing with the NVMe's themselves for the time being.

@default said: xpectations? Assumptions? OK, let's talk about it. On BuyVM website in AUP there is no mention of the word "backup". There is no mention of word "snapshot" either. But there is this statement in general terms:

As stated, that's for users that have backups (be it gifted or paid). I've been working on a feature improvement in Stallion to make backups age out of the system X days after a termination, just incase someone forgot to pay and rushes in a ticket.

Francisco

• user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

@deank said:
    Sadly, OP doesn't get it. So be it.

This kind of character flaw is generally a recipe for a bigger disaster in his future. But so be it.

I'm trying to get it... I've signed up for Amazon Workspaces too to compare it with Windows 365.

They have internal backups, but everyone in this thread has stressed the importance of external backups, and that is where I'm stuck. So I am trying to learn so that there isn't a bigger disaster in the future.

Can I ask what you use for your external backups of Windows VPS?

edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: Then I think, it's not only about the PCIe thing. There must be some other malfunction which cause the PCIe Riser to be fried.

I've only been playing with the NVMe's themselves for the time being.

@default said: xpectations? Assumptions? OK, let's talk about it. On BuyVM website in AUP there is no mention of the word "backup". There is no mention of word "snapshot" either. But there is this statement in general terms:

As stated, that's for users that have backups (be it gifted or paid). I've been working on a feature improvement in Stallion to make backups age out of the system X days after a termination, just incase someone forgot to pay and rushes in a ticket.

Francisco

Here's another improvement suggestion for Stallion. Have it actually show the true status of a VPS. On Sunday the VPS showed "Online" and green light. So I spent my time restarting it and rebooting. However it turns out that from Friday the VPS was on a failed drive in your home and not actually online?! Beyond frustrating.

If you had just told me Friday that this happened, I could have spent my free time over the weekend reinstalling the applications I use, and changing all of their settings. All my documents are on google drive anyway. Instead, I'm out in the field working with a client on Sunday, pull up my phone, and learn that the VPS is gone!

So much of my frustration with BuyVM now just comes down to feeling like a fool for trusting you with my workspace. Lesson learned. Go with the big providers like Amazon Workspace or Windows 365 instead of BuyVM for remote desktop, because Amazon and Windows are the same price as low end BuyVM, $66.

And I've come to learn my experience of BuyVM losing my workspace is not one off. A different person commented earlier in this thread with a screenshot of their email where BuyVM also lost their workspace as well. It's just a thing that happens. I've searched the internet, and haven't found a single case where Amazon Workspace or Windows 365 loses people's workspaces.

Thanked by 2boka003 ShihabSoft

@user37489 said: Here's another improvement suggestion for Stallion. Have it actually show the true status of a VPS.

Please check the logs inside Stallion. Check the timestamp. Check when you opened the ticket. Do the correlate?

Francisco

edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

@user37489 said: Here's another improvement suggestion for Stallion. Have it actually show the true status of a VPS.

Please check the logs inside Stallion. Check the timestamp. Check when you opened the ticket. Do the correlate?

Francisco

I really do not understand what you want me to get here. Please explain.

I opened Stallion on Sunday, and Stallion shows status online for the VPS. However the truth was that the VPS was fried on Friday apparently... I restart the VPS. I still cannot RDP. I then open a ticket.

What is it you're trying to tell me that I did wrong? What am I suppose to correlate?

• @user37489 said: They have internal backups, but everyone in this thread has stressed the importance of external backups,

Can you copy these backups to s3? I haven't used workspace but EBS snapshots could be stored in s3, which is pretty much as durable as you are going to get from anyone.

If they already store their backups in s3, then you are pretty much good. You could do another volume backup with something like acronis/macrium and store in your own cold storage but that's overkill.

Thanked by 1user37489
  • Can a mod delete this entire thread. I've come to the conclusion that low end talk is basically just a marketing forum for BuyVM, and everyone here loves BuyVM.

Everyone stresses the importance of external backups, yet no one has ever actually backed up a Windows VPS. 6 pages of useless comments.

I've already received my refund, and my colleagues will likely request there's too.

I'm done, please delete. I'll learn how to externally back up a Windows VPS on my own, because no one here, besides my Francisco, has a clue.

• @cadddr said:

@user37489 said: They have internal backups, but everyone in this thread has stressed the importance of external backups,

Can you copy these backups to s3? I haven't used workspace but EBS snapshots could be stored in s3, which is pretty much as durable as you are going to get from anyone.

If they already store their backups in s3, then you are pretty much good. You could do another volume backup with something like acronis/macrium and store in your own cold storage but that's overkill.

Thank you! Will look into acronis/macrium

@user37489 said: I opened Stallion on Sunday, and Stallion shows status online for the VPS. However the truth was that the VPS was fried on Friday apparently... I restart the VPS. I still cannot RDP. I then open a ticket.

What is it you're trying to tell me that I did wrong? What am I suppose to correlate?

What I'm wanting you to check is that the VPS was powered on by a staffer. Under the Logs tab you should see a Started Virtual Server action by an administrator.

The node wasn't 'booted' after the incident, there was nothing to boot.

What I'm getting at is that we didn't boot the VM until you asked.

Francisco

• @user37489 said: Can a mod delete this entire thread. I've come to the conclusion that low end talk is basically just a marketing forum for BuyVM, and everyone here loves BuyVM.

I'm new here so I think I am as neutral as possible:

1) Rule of thumb: Take backups even your files are hosted by god himself.
    2) Understand what you are buying. I.e. you cannot blame a provider for not taking your backups, otherwise people will fall on you.

I cannot help you with windows backup practices, however in general I understand you want copies of files not the whole vm, right?

edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

@user37489 said: I opened Stallion on Sunday, and Stallion shows status online for the VPS. However the truth was that the VPS was fried on Friday apparently... I restart the VPS. I still cannot RDP. I then open a ticket.

What I'm wanting you to check is that the VPS was powered on by a staffer. Under the Logs tab you should see a Started Virtual Server action by an administrator.

The node wasn't 'booted' after the incident, there was nothing to boot.

What I'm getting at is that we didn't boot the VM until you asked.

Francisco

What are you even talking about?!?!

I am saying that Stallion showed VPS status as Online. Then, I tried to reboot, and the VPS status was still green and Online. Then I opened the Support ticket.

Do you really not understand what I am saying? That Stallion shows a fake online status.

• @user37489 said:
    Can a mod delete this entire thread. I've come to the conclusion that low end talk is basically just a marketing forum for BuyVM, and everyone here loves BuyVM.

Everyone stresses the importance of external backups, yet no one has ever actually backed up a Windows VPS. 6 pages of useless comments.

I've already received my refund, and my colleagues will likely request there's too.

I'm done, please delete. I'll learn how to externally back up a Windows VPS on my own, because no one here, besides my Francisco, has a clue.

That is why you created a thread in order for refund but i am not a buyvm customer but i tell you something that he has done what he can and i fully admire him. if i was in same position i would have done same. at the end you got refund and you now want thread to be deleted so there wont be any helpfull comment by dear members or any thing may be some guys want to search for usefull things. over here we guides you to make sure you come to right path. anyways i wish you luck in your future endevours and i hope you find a host that is fruitful for you .

Thanks @Francisco for your kindness and comments that might be learning point for others.

• @TerokNor said: Take backups even your files are hosted by god himself.

And who stores the backups if god can't keep them from getting nuked?

Just take backup is not an advice, you need a place to store it and it better be more durable than the origin.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@user37489 said: do I also need to have external back ups of back ups of more back ups like with BuyVM?

Like I said, regardless of provider, you should have your own backup.

In my case with my Virtual Desktop, I backup my data and whatever I want backed up to my org's One Drive.

Now it would be a totally different situation if we're talking about the Windows Servers/VMs deployed in our customer's environment because then that would be managed services, which means OS-related data is backed up and covered, but non-OS or user data isn't and that's entirely up to the user(s)/owner(s).

In the above case, if it's a critical or a "high-profile" server/VM and that we're paranoid of losing data, we could resort to SRM, but that would also depend on the outcome of an RPO/RTO decision.

@user37489 said: I'm trying to learn my lesson, but can't figure out how to externally back up a Windows VPS, which can then be used to restore the VPS with any other host.

My honest opinion and not favoring any parties, if you really want to learn your lesson, stick and work with your current provider so the both of you can learn - WIN-WIN.

Fran is knowledgeable, without a doubt, but that doesn't mean he knows everything, and the same goes to you, me and everyone else.

Nothing's better than being able to work directly with the person who has full control of their environment (or at least most of it) and can call the shots - something you'll not be able to get at places like MS, AWS etc.

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @cadddr said: And who stores the backups if god can't keep them from getting nuked?

I would go with multiple providers/locations

Thanked by 1amsaal
  • @Francisco What veeam agent destination you use? smb, nfs or rclone with something?

• @user37489 said: Can a mod delete this entire thread. I've come to the conclusion that low end talk is basically just a marketing forum for BuyVM, and everyone here loves BuyVM.

I hate BuyVM and so does @Maounique

Thanked by 2default dahartigan
  • @TerokNor said: I would go with multiple providers/locations

God is capable of replicating it to every atom in the universe, atleast that's what the idea of god is.

@Hotmarer said: @Francisco What veeam agent destination you use? smb, nfs or rclone with something?

NFS for the time being. SMB over a WAN is a bad friggin' idea.

I've been meaning to play around with a Veeam replication server but haven't yet :)

@user37489 said: That Stallion shows a fake online status.

OK, I think that's where there's confusion. In stallion, ONLINE means that the process is running on our end. We have no idea if a VM is 'booted up' or things like that, we just know that on our end the process is running as it should.

Maybe if we had some agent inside of peoples VM's we could get more detailed feedback, but I truly hate the idea of telemetry.

Francisco

Thanked by 2amsaal Hotmarer
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said:
    Can a mod delete this entire thread. I've come to the conclusion that low end talk is basically just a marketing forum for BuyVM, and everyone here loves BuyVM.

This is not at all the case. I understand that some people want to make accusations like that, but it isn't the case. You cannot backup a full disk image of a Windows machine and carry it from provider to provider. This cannot happen. Take your hard drive out of your computer, shove it into an entirely different computer, and see if it boots. It will not. This isn't about marketing or not having a clue, it's about exactly what you're asking. You're just not happy with the answer.

When every single one of us mentions backups, we mean backup your data so that you can port it to a fresh OS install on a new system.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Bump.

Let's make this reach page 666. Free advertising for Fran.

Thanked by 1dystopia

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Nekki said:

@user37489 said: Can a mod delete this entire thread. I've come to the conclusion that low end talk is basically just a marketing forum for BuyVM, and everyone here loves BuyVM.

I hate BuyVM and so does @Maounique

We shall all un-fran our networks.
    They charge Azure prices and provide Mzungu reliability.
    They also actively support criminals by allowing Tor exits, which have been used in attacking other websites.

• @cadddr said: God is capable of replicating it to every atom in the universe, atleast that's what the idea of god is.

Oh well, I think since god is all-powerful, he may be able to create a disk that he cannot take backup himself, right?

This discussion has been closed.