Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

user37489user37489 Member
edited November 2021 in Outages

BEWARE!!!! Tried to log into my 16gb RAM VPS with Frantech that I've had for almost 1 year, and RDP hasn't been working for a few days. So I open a support ticket asking for them to look into it, and here's what they say:

Hello xxx,

Unfortunately, all data is lost, since the drive is not powering on.

My apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

============
Mateus

Hello xxx,

It looks like we had an issue with the PCI-e card we use for the NVME drives that may have fried the node where your server was, damaging the NVMe's with it.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Best regards,

============
Mateus

Thanked by 3kjl24 Logano default

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

First off, sorry. It was a crappy day for sure.

We sent emails but mailgun's been a bit spotty. Still, single node.

This was a node we were testing a different configuration on (PCIe riser for the NVMe's instead of the onboard m.2's). We think a drive may have been bugging out, died, and damaged the riser card and the other drive attached to the card.

I've brought both drives home to work on but haven't had luck in getting them to power on. Neither wants to, they don't get at all warm. Moved them to different chassis, different motherboards, use the onboard slots, etc.

We've offered everyone 3 months credit as well as free backups going forward.

If you have a snapshot taken (they're free in the panel) then you can restore that.

Francisco

• darwdarw Member
    edited November 2021

prem

• user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

WHY WERE YOU TESTING ON THE NODE WITH MY VPS ON IT?!?!?! Who tests different configurations on customer nodes, with the risk of absolute data loss?

The VPS was active for close to a year, and you decide to run "test configurations" on a production node? Which other nodes are you also testing different configurations on?

And I was not notified for days about this until I had to open my own support ticket. Sounds like your email provider mailgun is as reliable as you...

@Francisco said:
    First off, sorry. It was a crappy day for sure.

We sent emails but mailgun's been a bit spotty. Still, single node.

This was a node we were testing a different configuration on (PCIe riser for the NVMe's instead of the onboard m.2's). We think a drive may have been bugging out, died, and damaged the riser card and the other drive attached to the card.

I've brought both drives home to work on but haven't had luck in getting them to power on. Neither wants to, they don't get at all warm. Moved them to different chassis, different motherboards, use the onboard slots, etc.

We've offered everyone 3 months credit as well as free backups going forward.

If you have a snapshot taken (they're free in the panel) then you can restore that.

Francisco

• LeviLevi Member
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said:
    WHY WERE YOU TESTING ON THE NODE WITH MY VPS ON IT?!?!?!

The VPS was active for close to a year, and you decide to run "test configurations" on a production node? Which other nodes are you also testing different configurations on?

Shit happens mate, continue on. Cisco is respected in this community, so your rant will be trolled and assigned to simple and usual PMS. Just continue on, look at bright side - now you have practical knowledge about how important is BACKUPS.

• The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Let this be a lesson for you @user37489 if something is critical it is your responsibility to keep backups or ensure that your provider is taking backups for you. Issues like this can happen with ANY provider.

Thanked by 2cold o_be_one
  • Here's an idea @Francisco , next time you "test different configurations" on a production node, why don't you first take a snapshot of the data, or at least notify the customers in advance that you're experimenting with their servers so that I could have taken a snapshot.

• @user37489 said:
    Here's an idea @Francisco , next time you "test different configurations" on a production node, why don't you first take a snapshot of the data, or at least notify the customers in advance that you're experimenting with their servers so that I could have taken a snapshot.

he way lazy to make a snapshot, same as you were 🤣

edited November 2021

@user37489 said: WHY WERE YOU TESTING ON THE NODE WITH MY VPS ON IT?!?!?! Who tests different configurations on customer nodes, with the risk of absolute data loss?

and...

@user37489 said: Here's an idea @Francisco , next time you "test different configurations" on a production node, why don't you first take a snapshot of the data, or at least notify the customers in advance that you're experimenting with their servers so that I could have taken a snapshot.

You're mistaken.

This was a production node, its been racked since last year. The only difference from our normal configs is it was on a riser & inside a 2U chassis instead of our standard 1U's, that's it. It's unlikely the riser caused any of the initial issues and it was just the drive blowing out, damaging it's neighboring NVME.

It had been fine up until Friday afternoon when people started reporting issues.

Backups were available as a paid addon, and snapshots are free (up to 5 per location).

EDIT - I thought it was 2 different users, fixed that.

Francisco

• I didn't take a snapshot because I trusted them from their reputation here, and didn't think something like this with BuyVM was possible... extremely disappointed and frustrated.

And yes, I have learned my lesson with taking snapshots, however wouldn't using the built in snapshot also store the data with the same VPS host that I no longer trust?

Does anyone have any recommendations for taking snapshots of Windows VPS, and storing them with 3rd parties? Like a utility tool or snapshot as a service company?

@darw said:

@user37489 said:
    Here's an idea @Francisco , next time you "test different configurations" on a production node, why don't you first take a snapshot of the data, or at least notify the customers in advance that you're experimenting with their servers so that I could have taken a snapshot.

he way lazy to make a snapshot, same as you were 🤣

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Testing is a bad word. That reads more like comparing two production worthy configurations.

@user37489 said: And yes, I have learned my lesson with taking snapshots, however wouldn't using the built in snapshot also store the data with the same VPS host that I no longer trust?

No, snapshots/backups are stored on different hardware, physically different rack.

Some users have asked to be moved to another node out of fear of the number, that's fine. At this point the only remainders of 72 is the name. I put everything into our usual 1U's instead with a new board & new NVME's, just to be safe.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    it was just the drive blowing out, damaging it's neighboring NVME.

It had been fine up until Friday afternoon when people started reporting issues.

Backups were available as a paid addon, and snapshots are free (up to 5 per location).

Francisco

@Francisco said:

@user37489 said: And yes, I have learned my lesson with taking snapshots, however wouldn't using the built in snapshot also store the data with the same VPS host that I no longer trust?

No, snapshots/backups are stored on different hardware, physically different rack.

Francisco

Obviously snapshots are on different hardware, but it is still hardware that is being managed by BuyVM. What's stopping the different hardware, physically different rack from "blowing out" too?

So the question is how to backup a Windows VPS to a third party, like AWS? Are there any snapshot as a service tools?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@user37489 said: I didn't take a snapshot because I trusted them from their reputation

Regardless of provider, if it's un-managed services, you should be responsible for your own data, snapshots, backups whatever.

Shit happens, even with the giants.

@user37489 said: Obviously snapshots are on different hardware, but it is still hardware that is being managed by BuyVM. What's stopping the different hardware, physically different rack from "blowing out" too?

This isn't Baghdad or something where things are exploding left and right. The backups node runs a different RAID setup (R6/R60).

We also installed a node earlier in the year in Idaho that'll be used for remote backups where we'll be taking a weekly pull of all backups in each location and storing a copy over there. We arranged this when OVH had their datacenter fire happen.

The gears racked, I just haven't finished the setup. It took quite some time to source hardware for it given Chia was picking up at that point.

So the question is how to backup a Windows VPS to a third party, like AWS? Are there any snapshot as a service tools?

Veaam works well and is (mostly) free. You can then point it to another server to store things. Infact I'm setting up Veeam right now for one of our managed users as we speak.

Francisco

Thanked by 1PureVoltage

@DP said: Shit happens, even with the giants.

I told you already, I lost quite a bit of weight in the past year or so.

Francisco

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@DP said:

@user37489 said: I didn't take a snapshot because I trusted them from their reputation

Regardless of provider, if it's un-managed services, you should be responsible for your own data, snapshots, backups whatever.

Shit happens, even with the giants.

This. I'm in a Wordpress group on Facebook and the ignorance surrounding self hosting is astounding. Every time a problem occurs that could happen anywhere, they move hosting providers. All of them. It's apparently a huge thing that tons of people are doing. This is not how anything works. You can't just move around because shit happens. It does. It will. You HAVE to be prepared for it, it has NOTHING to do with how you chose the provider.

If you use AWS, you should have backups off site. If your hosting bill is $100,000/m and your data hosted next to government agencies... you should have off site backups.

Thanked by 2DP o_be_one
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said: Obviously snapshots are on different hardware, but it is still hardware that is being managed by BuyVM. What's stopping the different hardware, physically different rack from "blowing out" too?

Nothing is stopping that from happening. Shit happens, at any provider, which is why you have backups/snapshots.

In this case, the snapshots or backups are stored on different hardware so both would have to "blow out" at around the same time, which is extraordinarily rare.
    If your data is production or critical, you should be backing it up externally too, in addition to snapshots/provider backups.

I don't think it's fair to blame Francisco for something like this happening, because there is always the risk of something bad like this happening. Just look at OVH losing an entire datacenter for an example of that. Drive failure or worse will always happen eventually.

Instead, we should be glad that he went out of his way to give credit compensation and free backups moving forward, as well as going out of his way to check the drives at home to see whether they can be revived with effort. Other providers who care less about their customers would throw the drives away and tell you to suck it up.

Thanked by 1Bastion
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Meh, OP"s data wasn't important. Otherwise, it would have been backed up.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
  • On serious note - you were already told that shit like that can happen anywhere and you should have backups - external backups.

@JabJab said: On serious note - you were already told that shit like that can happen anywhere and you should have backups - external backups.

Amazing.

Still, snapshots are there and free to use.

Francisco

• Crying about experimenting on production node, doesn’t have a backup of his production node 😂

• What BuyVM location did this occur at?

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

• @JabJab said:

On serious note - you were already told that shit like that can happen anywhere and you should have backups - external backups.

I remember the original tweet, a certified hood classic.

Thanked by 1JabJab
  • @Francisco said: Still, snapshots are there and free to use.

API for snapshots? So I can have 2, weekly and totally trust BuyVM?

• peenus

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Hmmm I just wonder if having at least one backup and being able to restore an old version would have appeased the op.

This discussion has been closed.