Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Sadly, OP doesn't get it. So be it.

This kind of character flaw is generally a recipe for a bigger disaster in his future. But so be it.

Thanked by 2yoursunny dahartigan
  • OP I feel your pain. I lost my data back in June to Hotlineservers and I still have a ton of customers who are irate at me. What I dislike about the LET community is how you guys constantly blame a customer for expecting the service that they are paying for. Like I get it, sh*t happens, however it seems like the customer constantly gets all the blame while the provider is immediately forgiven. I'm not saying Fran is a bad provider, I love the guy and I have services with him as well. I came from a shared bluehost account and transitioned to running my own VMs to get better speeds and resources, never in my wildest dreams I would've thought that I needed to learn linux just to run a couple websites. I have PTSD due to my past experiences and even though I'm with a reliable provider now, I'm always worried of some type of inevitable doom, constantly taking backups of my backups and spending less time with my friends and family because I can't trust that my service provider would seek my interest as their customer.

• @jar said:

@default said:
    Provider lost customer's data. Period. Blaming the customer for backups is irrelevant.

It's still a good thing to teach people the things they need to know to self host in the industry.

True, but provider should be blamed first for losing customer's data. First provider should be taught how to not lose customer's data and have some redundancy. So far people are jumping on customer's throat for backups, while defending the provider. Fuck this shit.

I shall stay away from BuyVM. This is MY most important lesson from all this.

Thanked by 1user37489
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Guys I don't know why you all are bashing the OP. It is true that the provider did lost customer's data, but it is not intentional, shit happens.

Most normal users that I know didn't keep a backup at all, so it is quite common that someone doesn't have a backup. OP even paid for $60/m for his service and is not a Low End cheapskate.

Yes everyone should have backups, but still I don't see any reasons to make someone feel even worse when they already lost their data. It sure is a lesson to be learned, but let's focus on giving proper advises such as how to backup data, or where to look for good managed service.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@stephfd21 said:
    OP I feel your pain. I lost my data back in June to Hotlineservers and I still have a ton of customers who are irate at me. What I dislike about the LET community is how you guys constantly blame a customer for expecting the service that they are paying for. Like I get it, sh*t happens, however it seems like the customer constantly gets all the blame while the provider is immediately forgiven. I'm not saying Fran is a bad provider, I love the guy and I have services with him as well. I came from a shared bluehost account and transitioned to running my own VMs to get better speeds and resources, never in my wildest dreams I would've thought that I needed to learn linux just to run a couple websites. I have PTSD due to my past experiences and even though I'm with a reliable provider now, I'm always worried of some type of inevitable doom, constantly taking backups of my backups and spending less time with my friends and family because I can't trust that my service provider would seek my interest as their customer.

It's because people here are generally more intelligent in relation to the topic. In communities where people are not as much, they don't understand that hardware failures occur. I never blame a provider for hardware failure, regardless of how I feel about them. If you're not paying for backups as a line item on your invoice, please don't make the mistake of assuming that you are.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @FAT32 said:
    Guys I don't know why you all are bashing the OP. It is true that the provider did lost customer's data, but it is not intentional, shit happens.

Most normal users that I know didn't keep a backup at all, so it is quite common that someone doesn't have a backup. OP even paid for $60/m for his service and is not a Low End cheapskate.

Yes everyone should have backups, but still I don't see any reasons to make someone feel even worse when they already lost their data. It sure is a lesson to be learned, but let's focus on giving proper advises such as how to backup data, or where to look for good managed service.

very well said :) that how people should learn rather then tell them its your mistake.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I am bashing OP solely based on his attitude as well as insistence that backing up stuff is never his responsibility.
    That's a bad thing.

I've also bashed Fran and suggested a ban. He doesn't really have any excuse for losing data like that.

• @jar said:

@stephfd21 said:
    OP I feel your pain. I lost my data back in June to Hotlineservers and I still have a ton of customers who are irate at me. What I dislike about the LET community is how you guys constantly blame a customer for expecting the service that they are paying for. Like I get it, sh*t happens, however it seems like the customer constantly gets all the blame while the provider is immediately forgiven. I'm not saying Fran is a bad provider, I love the guy and I have services with him as well. I came from a shared bluehost account and transitioned to running my own VMs to get better speeds and resources, never in my wildest dreams I would've thought that I needed to learn linux just to run a couple websites. I have PTSD due to my past experiences and even though I'm with a reliable provider now, I'm always worried of some type of inevitable doom, constantly taking backups of my backups and spending less time with my friends and family because I can't trust that my service provider would seek my interest as their customer.

It's because people here are generally more intelligent in relation to the topic. In communities where people are not as much, they don't understand that hardware failures occur. I never blame a provider for hardware failure, regardless of how I feel about them. If you're not paying for backups as a line item on your invoice, please don't make the mistake of assuming that you are.

There is a post over on wht where a guy paid clouvider for their premium backup service and they still lost all his data and had no backups. That tells me that even if I'm paying for it, I should have an additional redundancy plan for my redundancy pan.

Thanked by 3jar james50a vedran
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

Everyone should have backups, ESPECIALLY PROVIDERS where their business relies on customer's trust.

This is a provider's fault. This is not some customer's fault where he accidentally removed the root folder. This is a provider's fault for losing data AND for not having at least one backup on their business in some cold storage.

And yet, people defend the provider, making the days even worse for the OP. @user37489 - Welcome to #FranciscoGang (LET got really corrupted it seems).

• @deank said:
    I am bashing OP solely based on his attitude as well as insistence that backing up stuff is never his responsibility.
    That's a bad thing.

Well, Time is a ruthless teacher.

Some students learn after the first lesson, other may need couple more lessons. But at the end, they will learn.

edited November 2021

@default said:
    Everyone should have backups, ESPECIALLY PROVIDERS where their business relies on customer's trust.

This is a provider's fault. This is not some customer's fault where he accidentally removed the root folder. This is a provider's fault for losing data AND for not having at least one backup on their business in some cold storage.

And yet, people defend the provider, making the days even worse for the OP. @user37489 - Welcome to #FranciscoGang (LET got really corrupted it seems).

I know you're doing this as an equalizer, but let's do a little compare and contrast.

If Dewlance has a hardware failure, he still shouldn't have backups of the VPS. Unless customers authorize and pay for backups, no VPS provider should be assumed to be live snapshotting and storing copies of a customer's VPS. No provider should be assumed to have the godlike quality of being immune to hardware failure. Insert any name for any well hated provider, this should be the same across the board.

People want to buy low priced VPS that do not include backups (funny enough, the expensive ones don't either, but anyway), and that's why the low end has always existed. BuyVM is merely one of the most popular hosts on the low end. It could be anyone. The expectations should translate across the board.

• It's fine everyone, I get it. BuyVM is amazing and everything is my fault.

It's clear to me now that BuyVM is not suited for being used as a windows workstation so I'm recommending to my colleagues that BuyVM isn't designed for our use case.

I never bothered anyone, just paid my invoice in advance every month and expected to RDP into my workspace on Sunday to quickly get some work done. But it turns out the problem was me and I needed to adjust my expectations because BuyVM is a lowendtalk host, which apparently means it's cheap and unreliable for my use case.

We are all very light users, and weren't using anywhere near the resources we were paying for, which I can only assume is good for a VPS host because we probably offset their heavy users.

Goodbye, feel free to delete this entire thread mods

• So to sum it up - customer didn't backup his/her data, the node crapped itself, and now customer is complaining that the host didn't backup their data, even though thats an available add-on, provided by the host, which was not purchased?

Cool beans. I pay for a backup of one important node (i have many, but only one is important), it costs me $1/m additional, and its worth every penny.

If you don't back your stuff up and it goes up in flames - that's a you problem.

I pay for car insurance (comparable to backup on VPS), so if something happens - my ass is covered.

I wouldn't expect my insurance company to cover something, which I am not paying for, and I would not expect a provider to cover something, which I am not paying for.

With that being said - I feel bad for OP, but one should take it as a learning experience. In the future - keep everything worth something backed up.

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • @user37489 said:
    It's clear to me now that BuyVM is not suited for being used as a windows workstation so I'm recommending to my colleagues that BuyVM isn't designed for our use case.

Jesus Christ no. Go Azure.

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@jar said:

@default said:

I know you're doing this for show,

No. I am not. Please avoid putting words on my keyboard. I do not do this for show, as I expect a provider to have backups of his business, just like I have backups of my own data. Cloud is cheap nowadays.

but let's do a little compare and contrast.

If Dewlance has a hardware failure, he still shouldn't have backups of the VPS. Unless customers authorize and pay for backups, no VPS provider should be assumed to be live snapshotting and storing copies of a customer's VPS. No provider should be assumed to have the godlike quality of being immune to hardware failure. Insert any name for any well hated provider, this should be the same across the board.

Note: Many providers around here offer snapshots. Example: Cloudcone.

BuyVM is merely one of the most popular hosts on the low end. It could be anyone. The expectations should translate across the board.

Expectations? Assumptions? OK, let's talk about it. On BuyVM website in AUP there is no mention of the word "backup". There is no mention of word "snapshot" either. But there is this statement in general terms:

6.3,4 - Once cancellation has been run on a service, all related data and BACKUPS are destroyed, and any associated IP Addresses released back into the available pool. This process cannot be reversed. 

OK, so there are backups on a business related to VMs. Therefore it is safe to assume and to expect some minimum backups as mentioned in terms.

But I get it. You really love this provider. I respect your decision to defend him, but I shall stay away from BuyVM.

@Nekki said:

@user37489 said:

Jesus Christ no. Go Azure.

Speaking of which. I've been using Windows 365 on the 8GB/2core plan. I don't know what these cores are made of but I can only assume it's a Pentium 4. Caps out with a right click on the desktop.

edited November 2021

@default said:

@jar said:

@default said:

No. I am not. Please avoid putting words on my keyboard. I do not do this for show, as I expect a provider to have backups of his business, just like I have backups of my own data. Cloud is cheap nowadays.

BuyVM is merely one of the most popular hosts on the low end. It could be anyone. The expectations should translate across the board.

Expectations? Assumptions? OK, let's talk about it. On BuyVM website in AUP there is no mention of the word "backup". There is no mention of word "snapshot" either. But there is this statement in general terms:

6.3,4 - Once cancellation has been run on a service, all related data and **backups** are destroyed, and any associated IP Addresses released back into the available pool. This process cannot be reversed. 

OK, so there are backups on a business related to VMs. Therefore it is safe to assume and to expect some minimum backups as mentioned in terms.

But I get it. You really love this provider. I respect your decision to defend him, but I shall stay away from BuyVM.

You're really angry, I'll avoid talking to you again. My mistake. Enjoy the backups you think are happening at whatever provider you chose. Continue to poorly educate others as an extension of your prejudice. If you want to be driven in every action by hate, that's your right.

I've always taken an interest in educating users, and nothing I've said should he applied in anything less than equal measure regardless of the provider or my opinion of them otherwise. Sadly, I don't believe you're being as objective, and I do take mild offense to you intentionally misleading users to enact your prejudice. As you are clearly aware of it and have no intention of doing otherwise, I suppose that concludes our conversation.

One should not be required to sit out of an opportunity to educate users simply because one likes the provider they're using, in order to prove objectivity. At no point have I ever blamed a provider for hardware failure and not having VM backups, and my words have been consistent across any thread on the topic, even if I had never been a customer of said provider. If you really want to know my motivation, it was all of the tickets I had to answer at DO after a hardware failure. I didn't like breaking that news to people who thought I was doing something for them that I wasn't, because they didn't pay for the optional backup service.

In my mind, every educated customer is someone who won't break my heart with a sad story that I can't do anything about, wherever I may end up.

• user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

@FAT32 said:

Thank you very much for your understanding. The truth is I just don't know how to create a backup of a Windows VPS. I downloaded the free community edition of veeam.com like Fran suggested, but it is a 7gb .iso file. I really don't know what to do with it, and would probably need to sign up for their classes to learn how to use this thing.

Any other suggestions for quick and easy Windows VPS snapshot? Ideally something that I can just save to my local computer, and then use on any other VPS with any other host.

• @jar said:

@default said:

@jar said:

@default said:

6.3,4 - Once cancellation has been run on a service, all related data and **backups** are destroyed, and any associated IP Addresses released back into the available pool. This process cannot be reversed. 

You're really angry, I'll avoid talking to you again. My mistake. Enjoy the backups you think are happening at whatever provider you chose. Continue to poorly educate others as an extension of your prejudice. If you want to be driven in every action by hate, that's your right.

OK, sorry for dropping warmth on your snowflake sensible heart. Please avoid talking to me if you wish so. I know I won't mind.

• @jar said: Speaking of which. I've been using Windows 365 on the 8GB/2core plan. I don't know what these cores are made of but I can only assume it's a Pentium 4. Caps out with a right click on the desktop.

What VM SKU did you go for? Some of them are absolute bottom of the barrel dogshit that are unsuitable for anything.

@Nekki said:

@jar said: Speaking of which. I've been using Windows 365 on the 8GB/2core plan. I don't know what these cores are made of but I can only assume it's a Pentium 4. Caps out with a right click on the desktop.

What VM SKU did you go for? Some of them are absolute bottom of the barrel dogshit that are unsuitable for anything.

It's this so they pick it I guess. I figured they'd choose better: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-365

• @jar said: It's this so they pick it I guess. I figured they'd choose better: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-365

Ah, I thought you were doing it directly with Azure so you could pick the underlying VM.

• Provider (BuyVM) offers free tool to take complete snapshot, yet I did not bother to do it. That was indeed my fault since shit can happen with all kinds of hardware.

Lesson learned and now I do things differently. I'm not gonna blame the host and some RMA'ed part for my own incompetence. I mentioned it cause it happens everywhere more often than people think.

Back up ur shit.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@user37489 said:
    Any other suggestions for quick and easy Windows VPS snapshot? Ideally something that I can just save to my local computer, and then use on any other VPS with any other host.

Sorry that I dont know how to do it, I dont really use Windows nowaday and never did a proper Windows VPS snapshot.

However, since you mentioned that you are using Excel, why not use OneDrive / Office 365 which has cloud service built in so you can save your files there?

Alternatively, you can also consider Dropbox or Google Drive and you can store your files there directly, which will be synchronised with cloud.

Thanked by 1user37489
  • Just read the thread title as 'FRIED NONCE'.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited November 2021

Appreciate seeing @Francisco stepping up and taking ownership of the situation. Others would hide.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2021

@default said:

6.3,4 - Once cancellation has been run on a service, all related data and BACKUPS are destroyed, and any associated IP Addresses released back into the available pool. This process cannot be reversed. 

OK, so there are backups on a business related to VMs.

But aren't these backups backups that were paid for by the customer (as an extra)?

If the customer didn't pay for backups, then there wouldn't be any such backups.

Therefore it is safe to assume and to expect some minimum backups as mentioned in terms.

There's no "therefore" here: if backups were paid for, there would be backups, but if backups weren't paid for, then there wouldn't be backups.

Well, we already knew that you didn't like BuyVM (at least since @Francisco dared to say something negative about how @cociu handled things), so no need to repeat yourself.

Thanked by 2skorous donko
  • If you want proper uptime with less issues :V There's a reason why PremAWS exists

edited November 2021

@bkj said:
    If you want proper uptime with less issues :V There's a reason why PremAWS exists

Please don't AWS without backups as well. EBS does make it easier to recover from a hypervisor failure though. Provided there's no failure with EBS, which shouldn't be ruled out as a possibility.

This discussion has been closed.