Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2021

I stopped using MS office products as soon as they went monthly.

Damn Adobe. I hate Adobe.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@deank said:

"Photoshop is only $30 now!"

A year later: "God damnit."

Thanked by 2Erisa Hxxx
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@deank said:

So... is the end nigh for MS? Is it because it's missing the letter P (as in PMS)?

Thanked by 1M66B

Something like MS belongs to a group of "too big to fall".

It's just like LET. It's too dirty to be ever clean.

P.S. MS and PMS ... Hmm.

• user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

@JabJab said: HINT HINT: Before burning all the bridges first test all those Amazon Workspaces and Windows 365 - you have (limited?) vCPUs there (not dedicated like BuyVM) and it can turn out being slooooooow af. However if you use only it for Excel then maybe it can handle that.

There's no burned bridges, only burned NVMe's. - Sun Tzu

We very rarely hold grudges these days. There was a user that slapped a bunch of chargebacks on us because he was expecting free DDOS Protection on one of the services.

We won every charge back, he screamed at us in ticket and called us everything he could. Few months later he came around, apologized, I kicked him some credit as a show of good faith (more than what he had charged back) and as far as I know he's quite happy, not an issue. Pays on time.

If the OP changes his mind down the road? The offer still stands and I'd also kick him those free months & backups we offered him originally.

Francisco

Give my free 3 months credit and free backups to someone else.

It was $60 per month, so please give my $210 credit to someone else in this thread.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I wan teh free credit if noone wants to take it! :p

• @user37489 said:

It was $60 per month, so please give my $210 credit to someone else in this thread.

Give it to @postcd, he’s looking for creative ways to utilise every single bit of data transfer. It’ll be entertaining.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @jar said:
    Definitely start with Amazon and see if it works. I'm about to throw my monitor against the wall on Win365. I could probably go buy a new one before a file menu opens.

How much CPU and ram does your plan windows 365 have?

The end comes for everyone.

Whether you believe or not. Join Nigh sect and throw away your savings!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@user37489 said:

@jar said:
    Definitely start with Amazon and see if it works. I'm about to throw my monitor against the wall on Win365. I could probably go buy a new one before a file menu opens.

I got the 8GB memory one with 2 cores. Those cores are complete ass.

• @edoarudo5 said:
    I wan teh free credit if noone wants to take it! :p

I want it too!

Congrats on your 331st comment

Thanked by 1edoarudo5

This is my 9677th comment.

• @jar said:

@user37489 said:

@jar said:

I'm doing the one with 4 cores, 16gb memory, and so far it feels the same as BuyVM

Thanked by 1jar
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Did someone mention Backups?

Nope. No backups found here.

Thanked by 2dystopia default
  • LeeLee Veteran

Read the 1st post, saw 10 pages, skipped and just assumed something failed, OP had no backups, BuyVM are asshats, amirite?

Thanked by 2bulbasaur b0lt

Pretty much.

The same pattern almost every time.

Thanked by 3Lee bulbasaur b0lt
  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited November 2021

@user37489 said:
    Does anyone here have a VPS with BuyVM?

If so, can you please log into Stallion and then confirm that the status of your VPS says ONLINE. Then, click on the actions to Start VPS. Lastly, what does the log show? Does it show a user issued start command?

I have had this experience with Stallion, if there is any wider issue it still shows as online in Stallion

Not a big deal by any means but it’s thrown me off a few times. Doesn’t take long to figure out things ain’t right when stop/start/console don’t work

Thanked by 2user37489 drunkendog
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@deank said:

@rcy026 said:
    I understand op's frustration, but I also understand BuyVM.

My only concern is what has been promised and what has been delivered?
    Did BuyVM promise to take backups? Did op ever pay for backups?

No, OP's plan doesn't have any backup promised. But, given he is paying 60 bucks a month for it, he assumed that Fran should have had a backup.

Being a top provider, data should be 110% safe.
    I pay $8.88 per year to VirMach, and they never lost my data.

@Nekki said:
    To summarise:

• BuyVM were 'testing' (their words, no takesies-backsies) a different configuration on a production node, and things went boom.
    • The drives, with everyone's data (retrievable or not), are currently on @Francisco's coffee table
    • Stallion shows/showed the VM as 'Online' even when it was dead. @user12345 is particularly upset about this, for reasons that aren't terribly obvious.
    • @Maounique still doesn't like @Francisco, but by God does he respect him now.
    • Tor nodes are only used for terrible, terrible purposes.
    • Standard LET pile-ons, mainly in favour of BuyVM.
    • There is a terrifying census amongst LET'ers that it is not necessary to have a back up of your data.

Did I miss anything?

Tor and Bitcoin are both used by criminals.
    If there are dirty words in your signature, it's a sign that you are possibly a criminal.

I don't backup most of my data.
    They are uploaded to Dropbox, which never loses data.
    I backup photos just because they are too large to Dropbox, and the HDD from 2005 is making weird noise at night.

Oh and @Nekki wants hot guy pics and isn't willing to send me gift cards.
    I'm 💔 heartbroken.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

It went from Divorced to In A Relationship in like 9 hours or so.

• @user37489 said:

@jar said:

@user37489 said:

@jar said:

I'm doing the one with 4 cores, 16gb memory, and so far it feels the same as BuyVM

If Microsoft treats Windows 365 data the same way they treat OneDrive data, then you can also lose your data at any point. I quickly looked at the Windows 365 page and found nothing about their policy on backups.

• @yoursunny said:

Tor and Bitcoin are both used by criminals.

So is electricity, water and oxygen.

If there are dirty words in your signature, it's a sign that you are possibly a criminal.

Agreed.

I don't backup most of my data.
    They are uploaded to Dropbox, which never loses data.
    I backup photos just because they are too large to Dropbox, and the HDD from 2005 is making weird noise at night.

Oh and @Nekki wants hot guy pics and isn't willing to send me gift cards.
    I'm 💔 heartbroken.

I think you misunderstood exactly what I was saying. I was asking for a friend, a friend who may send you gift cards.

• @Nekki said:
    I think you misunderstood exactly what I was saying. I was asking for a friend, a friend who may send you gift cards.

What a tsundere

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@Nekki said:

What a tsundere

Moe moe

• @user37489 said: Give my free 3 months credit and free backups to someone else.

Service id: 116510

regards

• OP pays for a prem stallion, gets a useless old forgetful mule.. lol

Thanked by 1default
  • @user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

@JabJab said: HINT HINT: Before burning all the bridges first test all those Amazon Workspaces and Windows 365 - you have (limited?) vCPUs there (not dedicated like BuyVM) and it can turn out being slooooooow af. However if you use only it for Excel then maybe it can handle that.

There's no burned bridges, only burned NVMe's. - Sun Tzu

We very rarely hold grudges these days. There was a user that slapped a bunch of chargebacks on us because he was expecting free DDOS Protection on one of the services.

We won every charge back, he screamed at us in ticket and called us everything he could. Few months later he came around, apologized, I kicked him some credit as a show of good faith (more than what he had charged back) and as far as I know he's quite happy, not an issue. Pays on time.

If the OP changes his mind down the road? The offer still stands and I'd also kick him those free months & backups we offered him originally.

Francisco

Hi, can I claim it?

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited November 2021

Ban @dahartigan
    or not. LET needs content.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I think a lot of people are not realizing going from slow spinners to fast NVMe is giving up RAID10.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@dahartigan said:
    OP pays for a prem stallion, gets a useless old forgetful mule.. lol

And even that mule is all alone, without any backup if it dies.

EDIT: Oh wait, it did die, hence why we have this thread.

This discussion has been closed.