Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE" - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

FranTech (BuyVM.net) loses all data - "FRIED NODE"

Comments

• @default said:

@dahartigan said:
    OP pays for a prem stallion, gets a useless old forgetful mule.. lol

And even that mule is all alone, without any backup if it dies.

I find it so ironic that "Mr Hurr Durr Free Speech" who threatened to sue me for having an opinion, and now the same "Mr Hurr Durr Privacy" has his customer's data just sitting around on his kitchen table wait for all manner of law enforcement or thieves to come and get.

I imagine there would be a lot of really nervous buyvm customers out there.

• @dahartigan the storage drives were dead... so... really? I mean ...
    Maybe is time to wrap it up.
    The OP decided to move on, declined credit. Explanations were given.
    TLDR: Have backups and a disaster recovery plan.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Backups are for pussies.

And, as for a disaster recovery plan, just download it.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • another story is that customer's data left DC and went to somebody else home

even if it was owner's home, and even it was top priority extra after hours hard work meant to accelerate finding solution to the problem

it is not looking good from security/privacy point of view (many different accidents could take place during such journey...)

imagine Jeff Bezos taking home some storage from AWS for maintenance

btw. not a great time for such incident in BF/CF peak sales season

• I'm sure a BuyVM chain of custody document is logging the hard drive's movements. Sleep soundly.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Andrews said: another story is that customer's data left DC and went to somebody else home

It isn't though. The drives don't power on. How do you expect an RMA to happen exactly?
    How should I send the drives to Sabrent if we were to do data recovery with them?

Let me know how I'm supposed to get the drives to anyone without them leaving the datacenter.

@dahartigan said: I imagine there would be a lot of really nervous buyvm customers out there.

Yes, because law enforcement can't go to the DC and pull whatever hardware they want with a warrant?

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Let me know how I'm supposed to get the drives to anyone without them leaving the datacenter.

You have the professionals come to the datacenter.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • @Francisco said:

@Andrews said: another story is that customer's data left DC and went to somebody else home

It isn't though. The drives don't power on. How do you expect an RMA to happen exactly?
    How should I send the drives to Sabrent if we were to do data recovery with them?

Let me know how I'm supposed to get the drives to anyone without them leaving the datacenter.

this is answer for your question:
    https://youtu.be/5eo8nz_niiM?t=511

@dahartigan said:

@Francisco said: Let me know how I'm supposed to get the drives to anyone without them leaving the datacenter.

And they'll reball the flash onto a new board, make sure the embedded encryption chips are moved over, on the DC floor? Just with a soldering iron and a pack of gum? Just yolo it?

Show me this service, I must see who offers this. This is incredible.

Francisco

• user37489user37489 Member
    edited November 2021

From https://buyvm.net/datacenters/

"Our Las Vegas facility offers a safe, secure environment for our customer infrastructure and our mission-critical services."

I believe my VPS was also in Las Vegas. Is this the facility my VPS was on?

Thanked by 2dahartigan RedSox
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

Sealed package leaves the premises of company through courier. Courier becomes responsible if package is unsealed.

Contract between parties for check of drives. The packages is sealed in deliveries.

@dahartigan said: I imagine there would be a lot of really nervous buyvm customers out there.

Yes, because law enforcement can't go to the DC and pull whatever hardware they want with a warrant?

Is your company based on your home? Is your office also your home? If yes, no problems. If no... BIG legal problem, because the data left the premises of company, hence trust and security issues.

EDIT: "Incompetence is the true crisis." - Albert Einstein.

• Provider messed up with technicalities initially, but offered generous compensation and all facts available to them (log trail). You are still welcome as a customer after posting negative review. What more do you want?

With regards to nitpicked issues like bringing drives home...meh. Unless you're DoD, decommissioned drives get passed around, period. If data is that confidential to you, encrypt and be done with it.

@default said: Contract between parties for check of drives. The packages is sealed in deliveries.

@default said: Sealed package leaves the premises of company through courier. Courier becomes responsible if package is unsealed.

Ah yes, mail never, ever, gets lost, stolen, damaged.

@default said: Is your company based on your home? Is your office also your home? If yes, no problems. If no... BIG legal problem, because the data left the premises of company, hence trust and security issues.

Correct, it's a home office.

@user37489 said: Is this the facility my VPS was on?

Yes, all those points are true. All of our core stuff (billing, Stallion, etc), are there as well.

Francisco

Thanked by 1default
  • @Francisco said:

@dahartigan said:

@Francisco said: Let me know how I'm supposed to get the drives to anyone without them leaving the datacenter.

And they'll reball the flash onto a new board, make sure the embedded encryption chips are moved over, on the DC floor? Just with a soldering iron and a pack of gum? Just yolo it?

Francisco

First result in google for you, smartass: https://www.securedatarecovery.com/services/on-site

• The home is also office, therefore no legal problem. Staff of company carried the data to another working office. The data never left company's supervision. This is not a problem.

• if you are providing services for EU customers (bound by GDPR) and you are practicing taking theirs drives (with data of their customers protected by GDPR) out of DC to your home than this one involucrated VPS/drive and Stallion incorrectly reporting VPS status could be not your biggest problems...

Thanked by 2dahartigan RedSox
  • @Francisco said: Ah yes, mail never, ever, gets lost, stolen, damaged.

Its not lost, its misplaced.
    Its not stolen, its ownership has been changed.
    Its not damaged, its a unique feature.

Thanked by 2dahartigan Francisco

@dahartigan said:

@Francisco said:

@dahartigan said:

Francisco

First result in google for you, smartass: https://www.securedatarecovery.com/services/on-site

Read it again.

Where does it say they will fix physically dead drives? What you pointed out is if like, the array had a software failure. The drives all work just metadata, raid layouts, whatever, were lost.

Francisco

edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

Yes, all those points are true. All of our core stuff (billing, Stallion, etc), are there as well.

Francisco

Really? What about losing my VPS in Vegas was "safe, secure, environment for our customer infrastructure"

https://buyvm.net/datacenters/

Queue the posts about back ups and how everything is my fault, and how BuyVM is amazing because what that marketing term actually meant was that my data was only safe from aliens*

• @Francisco said:

@dahartigan said:

@Francisco said:

@dahartigan said:

Francisco

"Hurr durr" -
    Francisco

@user37489 said: Really? What about losing my VPS in Vegas is "safe, secure, environment for our customer infrastructure and our mission-critical services?"

Queue the posts about back ups and how everything is my fault, and how BuyVM is amazing.

The facility is safe, secure, for customers equipment. There's minimal/no fears of someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things. There's full alarms, multi layer badge checks.

Again, none of that is incorrect.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@user37489 said: Really? What about losing my VPS in Vegas is "safe, secure, environment for our customer infrastructure and our mission-critical services?"

Queue the posts about back ups and how everything is my fault, and how BuyVM is amazing.

The facility is safe, secure, for customers equipment. There's minimal/no fears of someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things. There's full alarms, multi layer badge checks.

Francisco

Oh great, because those were my primary fears. You can also add safe from tsunamis on that list too.

What kind of cheap host is this that people even think about someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things?

Turns out, no one needed to steal anything when your cheap NVMe drives will just fail on their own.

This isn't the only time this happened either. Others have commented it happened to them with you on different occasions.

• @user37489 said: Queue the posts about back ups and how everything is my fault, and how BuyVM is amazing.

Im not a BuyVM customer so I can't vouch for the service, but you're spot on with that first part there.

Thanked by 1default
    edited November 2021

@Francisco said:

Francisco

How can you say it is true that something is safe for customers when you lost the VPS?!

You should really update the site to make it more clear that it is only safe from people trying to break into the data center with chainsaws, not that the VPS is actually safe from your hardware failure. Anyone that's not an IT professional like you may not understand your industry definition of safe.

Thanked by 1tux
  • @user37489 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Oh great, because those were my primary fears. You can also add safe from tsunamis on that list too.

What kind of cheap host is this that people even think about someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things?

Turns out, no one needed to steal anything when your cheap NVMe drives will just fail on their own.

This isn't the only time this happened either. Others have commented it happened to them with you on different occasions.

I'm almost 100% sure there's some stockholm syndrome with most buyvm customers, they blindly defend him when he fucks up like this and then start blaming everyone and everything else.

I really can't see what the appeal is, aside from the fact he hosts a lot of shady shit on his servers and that naturally appeals to the scum of the earth who wish to host such things.

I shudder to imagine what disgusting things Fran potentially has in his possession on those drives in his kitchen given his history.

Thanked by 2default user37489
  • I have had a pretty good experience in the past with BuyVM, in terms of the service as well as the extra mile @Francisco went to help me out, when he didn't really have to. Mucho respect for that.

However, after being with BuyVM for years, my only gripe is that renewing a service is difficult as fuck, if one happens to be travelling between 2 cities in the same country - which has been a non-issue with every host I have ever been with.

Switching payment modes requires a ton of back and forth over tickets, and it might still not work in the end, as Karen and I figured out the hard way.

• @user37489 said:
    Queue the posts about back ups and how everything is my fault,

The node failing was BuyVm's fault (for which you get compensated). You not having backup to restore from is your fault.

If you do have a managed/paid backup service and it fails to deliver, then some bitching is warranted. Even then, they still do fail (but more people here will be on your side):

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1851769

• Year 2021 will go down in LET history as the year of involucration, and it's not even ended yet.

@user37489 said: What kind of cheap host is this that people even think about someone chopping into the building with a concrete saw to steal things

Its happened before at datacenters, it isn't something out of a movie. Happened to some DC out of Chicago many years ago and whole racks of very expensive Dell's disappeared.

@K4Y5 said:
    I have had a pretty good experience in the past with BuyVM, in terms of the service as well as the extra mile @Francisco went to help me out, when he didn't really have to. Mucho respect for that.

However, after being with BuyVM for years, my only gripe is that renewing a service is difficult as fuck, if one happens to be travelling between 2 cities in the same country - which has been a non-issue with every host I have ever been with.

Switching payment modes requires a ton of back and forth over tickets, and it might still not work in the end, as Karen and I figured out the hard way.

Paypal enforces a lot of new policies on companies to have valid details. Stripe is always strict, but 3DS has made that a bit easier for her.

By now you should be premier so that shouldn't matter though? Or are you originally a crypto/alipay person? You can login to billing and you should see a box on the main client page mentioning being premier status or not.

At some point when you're free you can PM me your email and I can promote your account if it isn't already. There's automated promotions at the 6 month mark if you start on paypal/CC. Alipay/Crypto users never promote unless manually approved though.

Francisco

• Yes backups are important for example someone has to take backups before testing new things.

This discussion has been closed.